The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Great News On Newcastle Injury Front

9:59 am, Friday, November 16th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

We had a few misgivings about that story earlier in the week that said that Jonas Gutierrez’ sister had tweeted that her brother was out for around two months with his knee injury, and it turns out it was all false.

Jonas Gutierrez will return soon

And news yesterday from Alan Pardew that Jonas has a decent chance of being fit for the Southampton game, which is the next league game after Swansea City tomorrow.

This is what we had said in the article we put out last Wednesday:

“But of course we have no idea if this is true or not – whether it’s his sister and what they say is true, and we should all probably wait until Newcastle release some news on the Argentine International.”

And it seems that Jonas could be back for the next Premier League game at Southampton,  as Alan Pardew cleared up the facts on the Gutierrez knee injury:

“He feels good about the knee. This Saturday we should protect him but he has a decent chance for Southampton.”

That’s got to be good news for Newcastle, because the games through the end of the year are going to be crucial for us, and we need to pick up some wins, if we are to get anywhere close to 6th place in the league table this season.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at

Tags: Injuries · Jonas Gutierrez · Newcastle News

27 responses so far ↓

• 1 Indian Magpie // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:02 AM

what was the great news

• 2 davybtoon // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:04 AM

It’s not am sick of jonas n am sick of people saying but he works really hard, he’s a winger n when he’s picked as a winger his job is to create chances n hav shots, obertan does more on the wing than jonas does

• 3 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Indian, the good news is one of our players wont be injured as long as reported yesterday.

That is good news, regardless of whether you or anyone else values this particular player as much as Pardew. Even if someone being injured forces Pardew in to changes, it’s a really odd thing to be happy about.

• 4 Transfer Sage // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I blame Jonas and pardew for his form.

I think he is tactically played ass a defensive winger, just to allow santon to get forward but still protect the full back and any attacks that side.

But when he is forward his final ball is poor.

Eater have him fit that injured but at least it gives somebody else a chance to stake a claim.

• 5 Transfer Sage // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I blame Jonas and pardew for his form.

But when he is forward his final ball is poor.

Rather have him fit that injured but at least it gives somebody else a chance to stake a claim.

• 6 davybtoon // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Right with injuries I’ve changed my team
    Tavernier willo Taylor santon
    Anita tiote
    Obertan hba marveux

Think Tav deserves a chance b really good in the cups n fergie is a winger, Marv also deserves a chance on the wing

• 7 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Too true mate no one should be happy about any of our lads bieng injured end of
    Glad to here he’ll be back soon

• 8 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM

tads….We’ve all had one of those moments where you can see something as a blessing in disguise and I get people were frustrated with Jonas’ input and performances this season, but this is getting embarrassing. What next, as and when he’s close to returning, should we all get together and break his legs with baseball bats? That’s a plan, we can ensure he never plays again for us!!!!

The mentality of some is truly shocking, others it’s expected from and not sure why it still surprises me.

• 9 davybtoon // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Transfer I think it’s time pardew gives marveux n amalfitano a chance to shine 2 creative players which were lacking. Put them in n show us what they can do amalfitano would b a revelation just off of ba with benny n Marv either side n tiote n cabaye behind imo

• 10 davybtoon // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Tads n Ibiza – of course non of us want our players to b injured but its the only way we get to see someone different get a chance bcoz pards refuses drop them even though there terrible this season

• 11 davybtoon // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Jonas if he’s a winger then has to start doin more obertans stats will put jonas stats to shame on the wing, n if u want jonas in bcoz he works hard n is defensive then there’s only one place for him convert him to a left back other than that he should b benched

• 12 jawballsaswallwell // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Just wouldn’t be the same without his,graft and presence. Keeps things ticking over all day long, heart and soul of the side and has made a bigger contribution so far this season than either Tiote or Cabs. Fergie and Sammy are callow youths by comparison. Sincerely hope he’s fit to captain the side on Sunday.

• 13 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM

davy…..The sad truth is, your comment is not true. Some have celebrated him being injured, at least that’s what they have typed. However, not all of you, that is accepted.

Didn’t Marveaux get some game time already in the PL against Everton? You can’t say people aren’t getting chances, as they are.

Maybe not as many as you or even I would like, but come on, it’s November and the others players have needed to play in the EL, there has been sufficient squad rotation across the board. I think come the second half of the season we will truly benefit from Pardews approach. I think we’ll see the emergence and integration of more youngsters and they will be ready to make an impact.

We know Pardew doesn’t throw players in the deep end, unless he has to and you know what, so far he’s done a pretty decent job and bringing players along. Except of course Cabaye who he’s currently untraining passing to apparently.

• 14 davybtoon // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I love pardew n I hope he’s here for his eight years bcoz it’s the only way we will achieve something I think, it’s proving that choping n changeling managers dosent work at this club, but n a big but pardew needs to start freshening things up are squad is not as stretched as some people think its jus pardew has about 15players that he picks n that’s it he won’t look at other people

• 15 Dannyo // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I’d push Anita a bit further up, with his pace and good shot, i think he threaten the goal far more than Tiote would.

• 16 davybtoon // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Ibiza I agree in way bcoz for me pardew isn’t really doin anything different tactics wise from last year the top players are not performing as they should n I blame them, santon ba n benny have been quality everyone else has been terrible, I also agree with u on the youngsters apart from the 3 I’ve just mentioned fergie, biggie, sammi n Tav hav been my best players this season

• 17 Ketsbaia9 // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Marveaux and Abeid should be starting week in week out. We’re not selecting the right teams. We need to select players based on their ability.

• 18 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I cannot see how Jonas’ form this season has anything to do with how we perform this season; there are hartly ay standout players this season (there are shiny moments mind you).

…if anything our overall performance and certain players lack of form is what’s to blame for Jonas’ form just to name one!

Jonas is a great player and for me he is just a victim of playing in the wrong position like others within the wrong formation with a negativ mentallity.

• 19 Blaydon-Toon // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Yawn yawn Zzzzzz Kets change the record for Christ sake man …

• 20 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Kets….When does form or tactics come in to play when selecting then?

At the same time, I know the argument that some players should be rested as their own form is down, which is my point really. Also, neither Marv or Abeid have shown they should be starting week in, week out. I have faith in both, don’t get me wrong, but they haven’t shown they’re ready to dislodge anyone permanently yet.

Q: The whole is greater than the sum of it’s parts.

Davy…The whole team have looked a shadow of the team we saw last season. Some will say they’re not happy with Pardew and whilst that is possible, it’s not what I think is up.

• 21 jawballsaswallwell // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Surely Marveaux is just a terrible disappointment. He arrives with big wraps on him and as far as I can tell has flattered to deceive at best and seems not particularly bothered one way or another about it as long as he’s picking up his wedge.

• 22 Ian Toon // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Transfer Sage- So what’s new. Didn’t Jonas do the same thing for Enrique. It took Dalglish a while to realise they didn’t come together.
    I know you didn’t say or imply that you were glad he was injured but some have.
    Ibiza- I’ve got an aluminium baseball bat under my bed any good.

• 23 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:42 AM

jawball….He did show some promised when he started the other week. I think he does need a run of games to show what he’s about. Injury and competition will have stalled his progress, I hope that’s all we’re seeing, not a lack of desire as you mentioned.

Ian….I would prefer a wooden bat, but beggars can’t be choosers. By the way, glad you enjoyed the badges joke.

• 24 Ian Toon // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Transfer Sage- I have agreed with you on a lot of issues of late but not
    when it comes to Jonas. When I first set eyes on him it was love at first sight. I am delighted he might be selected tomorrow we have a better chance of winning. It’s unfair to criticise him as you would a winger who gets down the line and puts a cross in. He has been Pardew’s fix it and I feel he’s played well in a containing role. Don’t dismiss graft and determination you need that so that HBA. Can wave his magic wand.

• 25 Ian Toon // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Ibiza- I really appreciate your work on here your like Jonas. You wonder what you do until your not around.
    Catch you later.

• 26 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:48 AM

…come join us at the new thread, Ed’s on a roll here 😉

…you can all take your psudo philosophy with you 😀

• 27 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM