Mature Local Lad To Be Newcastle Captain Against Swansea

With Fabricio Coloccini suspended and Jonas Gutierrez out injured, and Shola Ameobi returning form Miami today and unlikely to start tomorrow’s game against Swansea, it looks like local lad Steven Taylor is next in line to take up the captaincy of Newcastle United.

Steven Taylor – Newcastle captain against Swansea

Steven Taylor will captain Newcastle United in tomorrow’s encounter with Swansea City, and that has been confirmed by manager Alan Pardew, in what is shaping up to be an important home game for Newcastle.

Alan Pardew has talked in the local press today:

“Steven will be captain. There’s no Jonas or Colo.” “Regardless of Shola Ameobi playing or not, it is time for Steven to step up.” “He’s matured and has been great around the group. I want to reward him for that.”

“He’s a local lad and it will fill him and his family with pride. So I am looking forward to him having it.” “Steven is a good enough player to carry that armband.” “The only problem he’s had with England and with us is injuries.”

“It’s important he stays fit now.” “He’s got this reward for what he’s done for the club since I have been here.” “And I’m sure he’ll be very proud.”

It wasn’t that long ago that Steven was hailed as an almost certain future Newcastle captain, until his career was interrupted by two years of hell with injuries, in which he missed a lot of games and had three serious injuries – to his knee, then to his shoulder and then he tore his Achilles last season, which is put him out for the season last December.

And those are good and accurate words from the manager about Steven, who is coming back into form at Newcastle, and had a great season last year before it was interrupted with injury.

It will certainly be a proud moment for the former ball-boy, when he leads out Newcastle United tomorrow at St. James’ Park.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• toon1707

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:34 AM

England don’t really have any stand out centre halfs now terry has retired from the england team so the door is open for him only problem stopping him is he doesn’t play for liverpool or man u

• davybtoon

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Bedders from last post I agree I blame the players for our poor form this season, yea pardew picks formations n tactics but he isn’t going to b doin to much different from last season, our top players arnt performing, I do think pardew needs to freshen things up though for me he needs to introduce amalfitano n marveux into the team new players with new ideas, tomorrow I’d go
    Krul
    Santon willo Taylor ferguson/tav
    Anita tiote
    Obertan hba sammi
    Ba
    With the option of bringing marveux n amalfitano on from the bench

• will190780

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Good news for Steven and for Newcastle. I have a feeling he will be a decent captain and really get everyone fired up. I will be looking forward to a few more of his Coloesque runs and we know he has a goal in him. I had a sneaking feeling we would loose the West Ham game but this one were going to take comfortably.

With injuries and suspensions and form I say:-

Simpson Taylor Williamson Santon
    Obertan Anita Tiote Ferguson
    Arfa
    Ba

• will190780

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Davytoon Sammi is injured

• croftus5678

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:26 AM

saylor if he can get back into farm with that hunger he had some years back could be a reg for england but i still think the injuries have got to his head as he is not as brave or hungry as he used to be so hopefully the captains armband is the motivation he needed to rally himself and the lads

• JAMSHA