Newcastle Star To Emulate Childhood Idol And Superstar?

One of the younger players at Newcastle who is starting to make a name for himself is 21 year-old Italian International Davide Santon, and he has been one of Newcastle’s best players so far this season, and he has said today that he wants to emulate his childhood hero – the great Paolo Maldini – one of the best defenders football has ever produced, and who played 902 times for AC Milan and 126 times for Italy.

Davide Santon – wants to emulate the great Paolo Maldini

And if Davide get anywhere near the world-class play of Maldini, who epitomized Italian defending at it’s best, then  he will be a huge success for Newcastle United, there’s no doubt about that, and of course he has already been compared to Maldini by some of his previous coaches.

Davide has been interviewed in the local press today:

“When I was a boy I loved Maldini, he was one of my heroes.” “I would love to have a career like him.” “You want to play at the highest level with club and country.” “Prandelli called me and I was happy and proud.” “Italy have had really good years in Europe.”

“They were in the European Championships final against Spain.” “When I was young it was my dream.” “I had my first experience with Italy when I was 18 years and three months old with Marcello Lippi.” “I had a period injured, and now I am happy because I have started well with Newcastle this season.”

“I have to keep going, play every game and concentrate.” “Afterwards, we will see. My favorites were not just Maldini, I liked Franco Baresi too.” “Another childhood favorite was Marco van Basten.” “I think I am playing well right now but I can play better.”

“I feel confident on the pitch, and I am happy.” “I am relaxed, which is important. I think I can play better – I am not 100 % yet.” “One of my dreams is to go to Brazil in the World Cup flying the black and white flag for Newcastle.” “I think we have a good international team and we can go for the Mundial in Brazil. It is my dream.”

If Davide keeps improving and maturing like he’s been doing since he arrived on Tyneside, he has a good chance to become a top International player for Newcastle, and he certainly seems to have the temperament too, and he carefully listens to Alan Pardew, a coach he has again said he admires greatly.

Things are looking very good at the moment for Newcastle’s Davide Santon – there’s no doubt about that – and it was great he was recalled this week to the Italian squad, but he didn’t add to the 7 full caps he already has.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Yes please.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Works for me if that’s who he wants to be.

Hopefully Ben arfa wants to be messi and cabaye wants to be xavi.

Add into that krul becoming Buffon and Tiote to makelele and we have a great team haha

• Alan_Pard_Who

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I’d rather he be like Cafu.

Regarding the last post.

What the heck is Pardew on about?

Talking about controling games in the 2nd half of last season with 2 in midfield?

After the man utd 3-0 triumph we struggled massively to have any control in games and it was only when we switched to 3 in midfield we controlled games and won 6 in a row.

I swear some of you guys would blow smoke up his arse if given a chance and he and you must not watch the same games as everyone else.

It’s laughable.

• Griff-toon

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Im hoping for a win tomorrow.

Please please get a win, cant stand all this negativity -.-

A lot of our supporters have the patience of a 2 year old.

Rome wasnt built in a day, perhaps it never will be or perhaps we have a better chance with this platform than we did before. If you cant see with the players we are getting in that we are trying to move forward, you are blind.

Oh and hope Santon gets his first goal tomorrow 🙂

• Pushy Pardew

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM

APWho
    You must have been playing Rip Van Winkle in April then when we beat Stoke 3-0 . Cabaye and Tiote ran the game. The quality from Tiote and 2 goals from Cabaye quite outstanding. The score line line flattered Stoke

• Graeme

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I’d be much happier, in 25 years time, punters were saying “Remember that fantastic Italian Full back we had in 2012 – started off as a young kid but developed into Italy’s finest in generations”

“He was captain in the Italian side that stormed the 2018 World Cup – such a shame when they only lost the final to a goal by that other Newcastle world class player, Andy Carroll his name was”

OK, the last sentence may be slightly far fetched lol

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Pard Who….Once again, it’s all opinions mate. Yes, some are very easy to defend Pardew, perhaps there is an argument though that when the masses turn on him, rather than contructively voicing their concerns, others feel the need?

Griff…..I know 2 year olds with more patience and it would be great for Santon to get a goal…..absolutely great.

• Indian Magpie

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:40 AM

IBIZA

All the fans, and i know they share my opinions, just dont’t admit

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Indian…..My apologies. Are you claiming to know more about how I feel and view things that I do or is the reference that I’m not a fan? Either way, wow.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Ibiza…you could argue that when some turn to defend (maybe rightly so) Pardew because they feel a need it is not very constructive and it is amplyfies those comments made against him!

…again not very constructive! At least. that is my truth feel free to tell me yours 🙂

• Transfer Sage

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Pushy

In fairness the 3-0 at home to stoke was when we played with tiote, jonas and cabaye in the centre with demba out left.

I know what Pardew means though. Tiote and Cabaye are capable of controlling the midfield as a 2. But in my opinion this does not get the best out of cabaye.

If tiote and another play deeper with cabaye further up as part of the 3 man midfield it is a better balance and cabaye gets more influence in the final third, like that stoke game.

It just depends what you want from the game. Do we want two stikers influencing the game in the final third or one striker and cabaye…no right or wrong answer.

The 433 we sued last year assists cabaye and cisse but hurts Ba. Teh 442 with ba and shola helps ba but hinders cabaye. There are positives and negatives to every formation suggested.

• Indian Magpie

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Ibiza,

You sir, are a fountain, we are following you

• Pushy Pardew

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:44 AM

He’s doing very well. I would like him to have a ittle more composue in final third and get a few more 1-2’s aound box and shots. Only 21 can only get better.

• catchy in norway

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:46 AM

hey guys im back
    hahahaha

ok last thread. i know your surprised at what im gona say,,

grrrr i think pardews problem is he tries to work a new formation with the same players to try and combat the other team we will be playing,

i dont understand why we should have to do this for every team, surely he should work on a formation and let other teams worry about our strong points

ie 2 great forwards
    HBA
    cabaye
    4 great attcking players, yet he reduces them to defenders to combat there game

“All those questions – trust me – my staff and I have gone through as much as the fans have.” “Nobody is more frustrated than me.” “Do you think I wanted to lose to West Ham?”

no allan you may not have wanted to lose,, but it did not look like you wanted to win either

• Pushy Pardew

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Ibiza
    Good morning. Hop everything is flourishing.

• catchy in norway

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Pushy Pardew

he is 21 , he runs from left back all the wayup the field many time a game , no help from jonas, and tries his best to whip balls in,
    i think the kid is doing amazing, at 21, imagin him at 25, imagin him with a regular left winger to work with, not 10 mins of sammy, 10 mins of ferg

• catchy in norway

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM

the sooner he is gone , the faster our team will progress forward

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Indian….Please elaborate. Better still, just answer the question.

Jesper…There certainly is that aspect to it. That has been voiced, especially after the whole OV thing (wihthout jumping back in to that issue, I can tell you the positivity came after the negativity, I could even argue it came because of the negativity), I have since tried to be a little more balanced in my approach (still to the same amount of criticism) to try and balance that aspect out.

You know how I feel about things and that is no right or wrong really. A lot of people like to take things to the extreme, when the reality is things are neither wonderful, nor terrible.

If I had to place my marker, I’d say we’re still progressing, rather than regressing when looking at the big picture. But that’s me.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Pushy…Wonderfully, thank you, as I hope things are with you also.

• 89Norcal

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:55 AM

I have some doubts about Santon, he hasn’t seemed to acclimated himself to the physical nature of the EPL. I sometimes see him getting pushed off the ball easily. Can’t deny his talent going forward though. Something about him makes me think he could be a very good fullback in the future.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:55 AM

pushy

yeh I want santon to improve his delivery

the porblem he has is that we only really get 2 in the box which means he has 2 players to hit compared to 5/6 defenders.

raphael at man utd or kolorov at city may have better delivery but they usually have 3/4/5 players in the box to find, makes it much easier to find a team mate

• Pushy Pardew

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Catchy
    Good morning. I know your not going to believe this but i am just about to leave for the gym. Would have loved to hear, how Pardew is only talking as he is, because of your influence but i’ll wait until the book or film comes out.

• Pushy Pardew

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:59 AM

CATCHY
    Aside from your daft Jonas comment i agree. Is this progress or is this progress . I don’t have to take anything out on a dumbell!!!

• Griff-toon

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Catchy – Its not always Pardews fault that a football game is lost. we did have some chanses, remember?

Ball nearly crossing the line after 60 minutes.. could have made another game? Shots form Ben Arfa and so on.

I felt a lot of the troubble from last match came down to the players poor desicion making.

I espessially remember HBA not crossing in infront of goal while Cisse was there and instead lost it. Would have been a hard pass, but he should have tried. To often he makes the wrong mistakes lately.

• Griff-toon

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:02 PM

hehe, wrong mistakes 🙂 Wonder what right mistakes are.. That should have read choises

• catchy in norway

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:03 PM

pushy

back and shoulders?
    chest and tris
    legs

im a personal trainer lmao

just there for fitness, or building muscle,

whats your thoughts on hypertrophy,, i think its good

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Ibiza…I know where you stand and as you probably know it was by no means an attack on you but merely an observation.

…no one promised you it you be easy being you did they? 😉 lol

The thing is when things are not going your way they negative thought tent to overshadow the positive one; they need an outlet and if they don’t get that they cramp up and they tent to be overly negative.

For me criticism is good it tents to highlight they areas we don’t like to talk about and that we all know needs to improve. If we don’t except this we are just hindering progress, which evidently is what we all want.

You know my view on the matter and as you stability for now is the more important matter and I agree we are still progressing, but that doesn’t mean their room for improvement.

• Transfer Sage

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I think part of the problem with the players is that they have got themselves in a downward spiral.

The forwards aren’t getting the passes so maybe don’t make as many runs, ben arfa and cabaye have less options on the ball so try to do more themselves and lose it, then the forwards see this, get annoyed and make less runs.

Same with the defenders, they dont have the options for the short pass all the time so go long, they then annoy the midfield who push up to get the knock downs, this encourages the defence to go long even more.

The players lack of movement has resulted in either a few either trying to beat too many men or goin long.

This is not helping Pardew.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM

* mean there isn’t room for improvement 🙂

• catchy in norway

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Griff-toon

if we look at one game then sure im with you, you win some you lose some,

but in general, we never step onto that pitch and say lets bos this game,, we are better than them

we go on to the pitch wandering how they are gona set up so we can ajust to there game,

yes the players are making poor choices, but this comes down to coaching

hoof ball,, tell your midfielders to make themselfs availble to recieve a shorter ball,, work on it, until it becomes normal
    HBA, your a star, but we have 2 strikers, your first thought should be set them up, but if the option is there to shoot go for it,,

this is coaching, what we see is defenders , whack, up to ba, he dont control it, they have the ball again, it just keeps coming back, and the more time that ball spends in our last third, 1 we carnt score from there not even cisse, 2 it gives them more of a chance to score

hence we end up hanging on for our lifes to 1-0 or a draw

and yes im sick of it, and only one 2 guys can change that, 1st pardew, second ashley

• Griff-toon

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Jesper

There is room for improvement, but the problem with most is that they dont have the patience to wait for it.

2nd season after last years success was always going to be harder. Perhaps the players have trouble handling the pressure, perhaps the formations are wrong. The thing is our results so far this year havent been disasterous. They havent been great either but I belive Pardew is as frustrated with it as we are. Our fans just jump the gun so fast..

If you whant to play a certain style it will most likely take a lot of matches to get the team fully immersed in it. (can i use that word? ).

We had better games last season. No doubt. But the pluss side for me then was that we made ourselves hard to beat. And I always felt we had a chanse of winning. It is mutch better than I could remember for a long time after bobby..

• catchy in norway

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Transfer Sage
    exactly

• BelfastMagpie

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Jesus christ I wouldn’t like to be Danny Simpson at the minute,looks like his missus is on the war path… 😉

Good luck with that one mate.. lol

• catchy in norway

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM

31 Griff-toon // Nov 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM

the only success was where we ended up on a table,

some of us were saying the sames things last year, the football has been like this for 2 years,,
    thats why i say poor coaching, these guys go and play for there countries, and look like world beaters

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Off for a bit, so will reply later Jesper 🙂

Belfast….It’s a battle between yourself and Simpson for who i’d least like to be 😉

Take it easy folks.

Cathy….Hope you’re having a good day!

• Transfer Sage

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I’m convinced pardew wants 433.

We have tiote, cabaye, Anita, amalfitano, bigi and abeid who play centrally.

We also use Jonas and perch there at times.

Surely we wouldn’t have 6-8 centre mids if we only thought to use 2 at a time.

• Griff-toon

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Transfer Sage

What you wrote is just what im thinking. Its a downward spiral.

Catchy – If you read Transfer sages post it reflects a bit what im thinking. Yes the coaching is important but that is not everything. I play fotball and when my coach gives me instructions I try to follow them, but when my whole team are not gunning in the same direction so to speak, players get frustrated, try to dribble more make wrong decisions.

Pardew and Carver are good at motivating players, we saw that last year and we hear it from the players too. I dont think that is a problem but we lack fluent play, some flair. Players believing they can beat the first man and making runs. Its to stagnant.

And yes the last bit i feel is down to the coaching 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Griff…there will always be some who are hard or even impossible to please, but there also seem to those who cannot see the forest from the trees.

…this not about being right or wrong, but simply find a way forward – for now we have been treading waters and not really changed out approach. There has been a little bit of complacency around us.

I most admit I find it hard to figur Pardew out – I have absolutely no idea now he wants this team to play and what his preferred philosophy is.

From what I can gather from resent interviews I would suggest that he really wants to play with two forwards and that he really though that was possible because we have Tiote and Cabaye in MF and we somehow got away with only having two in MF for better parts of last season.

Maybe it beats him why we are not getting away with it this season, maybe it beats him why Ba and Cissé cannot work together!

Maybe he is aware, but…(I’ll leave this blank for now)

• check the toastie

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Pushy- total shit regards the Stoke game, we played 4231 with Cabaye pushed further up the pitch and Jonas holding with Tiote, please get your facts right.

Alan Pardwho is absolutely spot on. Tiote and Cabaye have been overran as a 442, see last game of season Everton away, when Pardwho reverted back to his beloved 442, total nonsense.

Which people wouldnt make things up to prove there deluded and distorted point.

And thought Simposns one redeeming feature was that he was a decent guy, nice him shagging and cheating on his pregnant wife, with other young un in tow, dick.

1 2 3 5