The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Swansea Are A Different Challenge To West Ham

9:27 am, Saturday, November 17th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 25 Comments

It’s a really important Premier League game against Swansea this afternoon, and if we don’t win the game, it will add to the frustrations of the Newcastle fans, who want to see Newcastle start climbing that league table,  and that’s hard to do with home draws and home defeats.

Alan Pardew – different challenge today form Swansea City

But we also remember the home game with Swansea last season, which ended in a stalemate at 0-0, and that was a frustrating game to watch, and we have to hope it’s a better outcome today.

Alan Pardew is well aware that it may be difficult for Newcastle to get much of the ball against Swansea, with new manager Michael Laudrup having continued on from the departed Brendan Rodgers, and Swansea continue to play a possession game, and pass the ball around all the time – Barcelona style.

This is what Alan said in the local press today:

“West Ham did a job on us, broke up the play, defended very deep with two banks of four.” “Swansea will be different but will retain the ball. Last season it was 0-0 and I remember our fans coming away from that game that day not particularly happy because we couldn’t create any pressure.”

“Swansea are good at what they do but I still expect us to win.” “There’s a few promoted clubs who have done very well coming into the Premier League and Swansea are one of those,” Pardew added.

“They are a well-run club with basic principles and a vision that they want to stick to.” “The new manager has taken over from Brendan Rodgers and added a couple of real quality players, so they are a real problem team.”

The Swans are just one point behind Newcastle with three wins in their 11 games for the season, the same as Newcastle,   but the Magpies will be expected to win this game after a poor first half last Sunday against West Ham, which cost us the game to a Kevin Nolan goal after 38 minutes.

Newcastle will need to start this game like the proverbial steam train so we are not again digging ourselves out of a hole in the second half,  because of poor and lifeless play in the first 45 minutes.

We really do need the win today.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

25 responses so far ↓

• 1 IITianToon // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM

“Newcastle will need to start this game like the proverbial steam train “Ed keeps mentioning this in all threads.. but for some reason the team stubbornly refuses to adhere.. :(

• 2 Beattie25 // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Been ok Ibiza! Hope you have been to.

See you later.

• 3 eaststandgeordie1982 // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Swansea will do a job on us today.

• 4 WWYCD // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:38 AM

A team we should beat, hammer really they are decent in attack these days but defense is laughable at times so why am I confident we will under perform and scrape a draw rather than dominate and take 3 points

God I need a coffee

• 5 Transfer Sage // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:40 AM

llTianToon

Ed for manager? Haha.

Although I’m not sure how well he would do he is up their with ant and dec for people I want to manage the club although I know it would probably end in disaster ha

• 6 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Beattie…Glad to hear it. Now be off with you, what will the neighbours say if they see us talking?

Yo…Because you’re a n-n-n-n-nice guy? Phew…that was hard.

• 7 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Awww man. How much does it suck to have to take two Newcastle players out of my fantasy team and replace them with Swansea players due to injury and Cisse maybe not playing…damn you Senegal!!

This day has to end in disaster for me.

• 8 Transfer Sage // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM

I have a feeling we will win today.

I think from Pardews comments he was genuinely annoyed after west ham. He made excuses in public but I think the players will know exactly how he felt and what he expects.

I predict a 3-1 toon win

• 9 WWYCD // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Ibiza
    Haha very true am a lovely gent at times normally when there’s a pretty girl involved i admit.

Ur normally a shiny beacon of optimism how are u feeling about this game?

• 10 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM

What does two banks of four mean?

• 11 catchy in norway // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM

beattie

hang around,, its lonley fighting this battle, there seems to be a few more have joined our corz, “anti pardew” you know the one,,

the one where we noticed a long time ago something is wrong with the way we play, but were told to be quiet and look at the table and be happy

ibiza,, i know ppl talk about it, but its not the J kyle show, this is a football blog and should be about football matters
    but if ED posted a thread about how wrong it is what he is doing, out partying with other girls famus or not and how this is affecting his game when the team is not doing well right now , then it could be a topic, but copying and pasting tabliod rubish is not good

• 12 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Yo…..mmmmm…shiny bacon…brb. Ermmm, I am always positive, but always a gluten for punishment too. Make of that what you will good sir.

Jesper….8 banks? :)

• 13 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Ibiza…regarding our Fantasy football league, I haven’t been able to login for two months now :( have absolutely no ide what’s going on!

• 14 sirtoongospel // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM

We need to fly out the blocks and show a bit of urgency. If the likes of Obertan play then he needs to get his arse in gear, and lift the tempo a bit, because if he did he has the tools to be a good player, but only if he plays flat out.
    We need to swarm over them in the first 20 minutes, get a goal or 2 ahead and it should be job done. But the players need to take responsibility. Time to stop talking and step up.

• 15 Transfer Sage // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Jesper

It means 4 defenders then 4 midfielders, like in a 442 formation.

Catchy

I don’t care about private lives, don’t see why anyone does but a lot of people so these days. Ed is just catering for all types of fan.

• 16 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Catchy……I think we have better things to debate than the worthiness of this article on this blog, plus, I couldn’t care less about this particular topic, so I’m really not going to fight for it :)

Have you finished blowing up the balloons for the party yet? If we lose, you could stick Pardew pictures on them and spend your evening popping them all whilst laughing manically.

• 17 Blaydon-Toon // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Jesper two banks of 4 is a rigid formation pretty much how we set up up to stop the opposition playing teams who have a man sent off revert to this system to nullify the opposition …

• 18 IITianToon // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Fantasy tip for all owners: Get Suarez and Chicharito on board if you havent already :)

• 19 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Sirtoon….2 goals for us in the first 20 minutes would do me lovely.

Jesper….It’s been making me reset my password everytime to get access…not that it’s doing me any help, if there was ever any doubt about my management credentials, just look around the 500th placed mark :)

• 20 RonVanDam // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Remember the thrashing we got last year from fulham, spurs and wigan? I think we will get mauled by swansea today. If we win, it’ll be a hard fought win. Winner either coming from arfa or cisse. Hope no one gets a red card – I’m looking at u tiote

• 21 WWYCD // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Ibiza
    Haha still on that fence I see

• 22 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Yo…I feel so much safer up there these days. Not sure I’m ever coming down.

Come on people, transfer talk on the next thread!

Kill me now.

• 23 Marty-Toon // Nov 17, 2012 at 9:58 AM

AP didn’t sound confident that his team can compete and win the ball in midfield .
    Does this mean we will be chasing shadows at home again?
    Glad I won’t be at home to see it but I will be keepin an eye on the scores

• 24 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Nov 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I think everyone was pissed off last week, me included !

But, we will see at 3-o-clock this afternoon just how pissed off the players were.

Swansea will be up for it and try to do the same as the Hammers did against us, plus their keeper is also a Dutch International .

This is,nt going to be easy lads, especially if the lads play the same as last week.

• 25 woolerbill // Nov 17, 2012 at 11:39 AM

The swan’s will turn us over today, we have been rubbish all season. The young one’s can’t go any worse, have a little faith and guts par dew, you never know you may turn put to be a hero

previous post: Newcastle Player In Tabloid Mess With Star And Girlfriend