Cisse And Gutierrez To Return – But Obertan Injured

Alan Pardew has said that Jonas Gutierrez and Papiss Cisse will be in the squad for the game against Maritimo on Thursday night, but Gabby Obertan, who was missing from the squad yesterday, has another toe injury, and he will miss the Maritimo game.

Papiss Cisse – in the squad for Maritimo game

And Alan Pardew has again talked about the baffling decision by the Senegal Football Federation to stop Papiss Cisse playing yesterday, and we hope Newcastle take whatever legal action they can on this rather stupid and uncalled for decision.

This is what Alan said about it after the game:

“The decision over Papiss was baffling, and that’s been a blow to us,” said Pardew after the final whistle.” “We kept getting promised that the decision was going to be overturned and that Senegal were going to let Papiss play, but we kept waiting and waiting and it was at about 1.40pm that we finally found out that wasn’t going to happen.”

“It did affect our preparation. Him missing was a blow to us. We didn’t feel we did anything wrong and he should have played.” “In the first 60 minutes (against Swansea) you would have expected Papiss to come up with a goal.”

It’s a good job we have a game at home against Maritimo in the Europa league on Thursday night, and then Southampton away in the Premier League, and it’s an opportunity for Newcastle to try to put things right quickly, after suffering two home defeats in a row in just seven days.

Jonas Gutierrez was all but ready to play in yesterday’s game, but Newcastle decided against taking the risk, which was probably the right decision, and he’ll be ready for Thursday night, but Gabby Obertan needs a minor toe operation, and he will miss the Maritimo game.

This is what the Newcastle manager said about Gabby, Jonas and Papiss:

“Obertan has got a toe that we needed to sort out, so there has been a man oeuvre on that which put him out today and probably for Maritimo as well. He might be back for Southampton.” “Jonas, we think will be back on Thursday, Papiss will be available and that will help.”

A win will see Newcastle qualify for the knockout rounds of the Europa League, but whether that’s good or not – it’s now hard to say – because these European games are decimating our season in the Premier League, which is still the number one priority.

But we need to get some wins under our belt to restore some confidence in the side.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Transfer Sage

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I don’t think cisse was missed yesterday.

Obviously it would have been better to have him but he has taken advantage of the few chances he has had this year anyway.

The problem yesterday was creating worthwhile chances, we had a lot of shots but very few which were of note.

We needed more creativity. Yesterday everything went through Ben arfa, it was too predictable but it was improved on the west ham game so credit to pardew.

On the previous thread….we can’t compete at the top. Every club and the top of the biggest leagues spends crazy money. We cannot compete financially, not Ashley’s fault he just hasn’t got a spare billion like abramovich

• Transfer Sage

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:48 AM

*hasn’t taken advantage of chances

• Graeme

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Pleased Cisse will be back – hopefully he will return to his previous form, being angered by his treatment on Saturday!!

Will Jonas make any difference? I really hope his enforced lay-off will have re-charged his batteries, he looked a shadow of his former self recently!! Hopefully Pardew and the coaches will have been working on his final delivery which has been non existent for far too long.

• Offkey

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM

TS – Our problem all year has been worthwhile chances.

The only teams that have had less shots on goal than us per game are 5under1and, Stoke, Reading, Villa and Southampton. Great company.

Of these shots, the only team to get less on target are Southampton.

• nico

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Here’s a noval idea. Do what Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City do. Play your best 11 fit players every game, no matter what the competition. You then may start to get some rythum. Obviously rest palyers if they are tired, but you don’t see top clubs resting star players like we do.

• Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner)

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Unfortunately, football has turned into a money game. You just can’t cut it at the top without the bank balance of a small country.

What we can do, is slowly improve season by season, even if its not the immediate progress some on here are hoping for. This is a work in progress, and for those who aren’t patient enough to stick by it, then I feel sorry for you. And it will be a long 8 years for you.
    But for those who can see what is really going on, then this will be a time of improvement, and the normal ups and downs of supporting the toon.

• SouthCoastToonFan

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Conaldo I really do not agree with that. We didn’t have to spend massive amounts in the summer to improve or at least remain competitive. We needed a centerback as we have done for 2 years which we didn’t have to spend over to odds for just needed someone better than Williamson (not too hard). You also mention improving season by season in my opinion we have taken a big step back this year and with the current board I don’t see us ever pushing on as the money will never be there to do so.

• Graeme

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Conaldo Wizard, I am more than happy to see improvement year on year, with stability within the club an added advantage. There is little doubt that we are a “Work in Progress” but so is every other club in this division.

We have only brought in one new player in the form of Anita, plus a couple for the future although Bigi is featuring far earlier than expected.

Would you consider our performances against WHU and Swansea as an improvement on last season? Would you say that our “Squad” who have now been together for about a year, are playing with fluency and composure? Are we playing for each other; creating spaces for each other: working off the ball for each other??

I would suggest that the answer is a resounding NO. We created very little yesterday which threatened the Swansea goal while their No 9 could have had four and should have had 2 at least.

Last season we had a squad that excelled through hard work, sheer determination and a desire to WORK – what happened to those laudable attributes of last season? The players are virtually the same ones as last season – where is the drive, the determination, the running off the ball that made us so good last season? It was nowhere to be seen in our last two games!!

Where is the improvement coming from??

• Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner)

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I’m confused. There’s 2 south coast toon now.
    Dark blue south coast toon – we all know we need a centre back. Pardew knows it. Mike Ashley knows it. He gambled, it didnt work.
    However, we are not going to be able to compete with the manchesters, an Chelsea (this season) without massive amounts of money. We can try to tough it out with arsenal and Tottenham, but really we aren’t at that level yet.
    Our competitors this season and last are Liverpool and Everton

• Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner)

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Graeme – read the rest of my comments from this morning. I have said that we need a bigger squad, better cover. We need to be able to get through injuries and suspensions to key players without falling apart.
    All I said was you need stupendous amounts of money to break into the very top of the table. Football has changed massively the last 10 years. The money in clubs has grown almost exponentially.

• Munster Mag

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Do Newcastle want to become a big club? I dont think so. I’ve said often before, we are no more than a vehicle for Sports Direct . Ashley will do enough to keep us in the premier league, but thats about it. So after ballsing up so many things, he got a manager that suited him and pulled a masterstroke by getting a great chief scout. In reality, when it comes to spending money, as I have explained before, we will be fast as hell in for the Bigi’s of this world, but spending 10-15 mill on 2 really decent players was a pyschological step too far, so we got Anita, who can do a few jobs instead of one. I have to say though, Pardew fell badly in my estimations yesterday. Hiding behine the Cisse excuse was pitiful. Has it been Ba, or Colo, or Ben Arfa, I could accept his point. But he knew that many fans watching would think that Cisse is key to out form, but we all know, that he isnt these days. It was a sad effort, and we should have been stuffed,. Trouble ahead.

• Alan_Pard_Who

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Conaldo

Take the results of last season away along with the leauge position and can yo sit there and tell me that our football/tactics/on the field play has improved over the past 2 years under Pardew?

The answer is no. If he used these tactics with Carroll and Nolan still in the squad then I’d like to think we would be challenging top 6, but he no longer has the tall striker and attacking central midfielder that used to combine so well.

In the 2 years under Pardews stewardship I have seen no, and i mean no, improvement of the footballing quality on the pitch. Infact I’d say our tactics are worse now than ever.

The reason being that we have a very talented squad used terribly. Why make a broth when you can have stake? Pardew buys into his own brand of bullshit of some blindly follow.

Many of you think this is a snap judgment by the masses, and whilst I can’t speak for everyone. my opinion is based around the fact that when Pardew was employed I hated it as I thought he was a very poor manager. When Pardew took an able team to lofty heights last season I hated it, because it should’ve and could’ve been with better quality, more control and a higher leauge position. And now I hate it because every time I expressed my opinion that Pardew is poor I was shot down, now that we are seeing the real truth beind Pardews words some still cling onto an idealistic hope that he will be the next Ferguson/Wenger/Sir Bobby/Cloughie etc… which he is not.

He was given 8 years to offer stability and to say yes to everything ordered by Ashley. The decision wasnt a footballing one, after all it’s just business.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Hard to keep the faith when our manager conjures up another excuse. Wonder what it’ll be when we get beat by Southampton.

Think it’s not only the fans who are disillusioned by him too. Don’t think too many are enamoured with him in that dressing room, looks like some of them don’t wanna bother playing for him.

Pardew out!

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Easy to keep the faith when our manager conjures up another valid reason. Wonder what it’ll be when we beat Southampton.

Think it’s only some fans who are disillusioned by him though. Don’t think too many are displeased with him in that dressing room, looks like some of them really wanna be playing for him.

Pardew In!

• SouthCoastToonFan

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Yeah sorry Conaldo I am new to the blog. Well posting on it anyway! I am not expecting us to spend like Utd or Chelsea but £10m to £15m investment on a few players a year shouldn’t seem to far a stretch for a club of our size should it? That could be 3 solid players through the door or 1 very good one and a good squad one. I get the impression that the board don’t look at the football so much as what’s in it for them?

• Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner)

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Right I’m off. Keeping to my word yesterday. I can’t be bothered with people who say – take away the results and league position last year, then pardew is crap.

Eh!!

So basically your saying apart from the times Pardew did excellently, he crap?
    You sir are a genius.

• jodemode

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM

It’s obvious Obertan has an ingrown toenail issue. They should cut out his whole toenail on both big toes and give him a month and let him play again. Those things are so painful.

• Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner)

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Now ruddy jiz and ruddy giz!!

Honestly! You people are trying to confuse me.

Later.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Always a pleasure Conaldo 😉

• Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner)

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM

And before I go,
    Dark blue south coast – no it shouldn’t. But unfortunately Ashley thinks it is. Not really much we can do about that.

• Alan_Pard_Who

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Take away the results off any team and look at the performance and it is there you see the truth.

Results can be fluked, performances can not.

We had no performancelast season or this but last season we had luck.

This is something that can be apllied to all levels of management in every sector, not just football.

You dont have to be a footballing expert to see last season we played dog shit but somehow ended up winning games we shouldve lost after being uttewrly outclassed on the field.

It was ok for some while we were winning, but not ok for some now we are loosing.

for others it was never ok, despite the results.

I suggest some of you go back to post match comments from last season to see how many negative comments were being made despite the results and how many people then were saying ‘he’ll get it right’.

• Graeme

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Munster – we have always been a vehicle for Sports Direct, since the day MA bought NUFC!! Now we are in Europe, it has opened up an even bigger market as the SD tat all over the stadium is broadcast all over Europe.

If we got into Champions League, all his advertising would have to be removed under UEFA rules – it becomes far less attractive to MA in those circumstances!!

• spitfire_

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Jeeez… I’m starting to feel sick we I look the games in December… I think by th New Year’s eve Pardew will be run out of excuses… or he will repeated the old records.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Real ruddy
    Nice!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Been trying to read up on the comments today and it has been a strange experience – people do really precive our game very differently, even those who attend the games.

…guess we all make up our own opinions. I know what mine is – it has not really changed most from what I wrote last night and guess what the match didn’t ruin my weekend this time 😀

Ruddy…good to see you mate – how have you been?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Jesper

I’ve been well, keeping a pretty low profile and letting the hardcore factions of both sides of the divide fight it out while I enjoy (or not enjoy) the football we’re playing this season.

Does anyone else think that Ole Gunnar Solskaer is sitting somewhere in Norway looking at this blog singing softly to himself:

“Hello….Is it me you’re looking for?”

• Transfer Sage

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I don’t mind our transfer policy.

It’s the same as most clubs.

Obviously city and Chelsea spend big but there owners have vast amounts if money.

Man utd spend big but have huge revenue coming in and are in over 500mil debt with their owners.

Arsenal spend maybe 20/30mil a season but only after they sell their biggest player.

Spurs spend a decent bit but they are adding to debt as they don’t have a huge revenue. They also sold people for a lot like berbatov and Carrick.

Then Liverpool spent big, got nowhere so cut right back.

After that you have Everton, west brom, Fulham, Swansea. All spend similar to us.

The problem we have is we need more transfer targets and a bigger scouting network.

If we only pay what is deemed good value we need to have many more options available if our first choice is too expensive. That’s my only criticism of transfer policy.

Why chase de Jong for months when we are never going to pay the 14 mil they want.

• Magpies-till-d3ath

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Hate to have to resort to this, but while I was trying to watch MOTD yesterday without crying, I was actually wondering what things would be like with Redknapp as manager. Please don’t crucify me or anything if you don’t agree that he’d take us to where we should be!

• Transfer Sage

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Magpies til death

I certainly think he would get us playing more aggressively and going for the win. I think he is a better manager but he does like his transfers and I don’t think we would give him as much as he likes.

Also he wouldn’t even move from Portsmouth to London, he drove everyday so there’s no chance he would move up north

Valid point though

• Graeme

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Ruddy, I really don’t think replacing the manager at this stage will achieve anything whatsoever; in fact, its more likely to be detrimental to the club.

If we don’t improve on, or at least get close to where we were last season, by the end of next season, then maybe it would be time to consider our options. However, there is a lot to be said for a bit of “Long Term” stability over 4 or more seasons before any wholesale changes are contemplated.

It cannot be denied that we exceeded ALL expectations last season, which makes this season even more difficult for everyone. We have seen what this squad can achieve and expect that to be the minimum standard for this season – I know I do, rightly or wrongly.

However the fact we are struggling to come close to the standards we set ourselves last year, does not mean that sacking the Manager is the answer – its probably the LAST thing we should consider.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Even considering a new manager is wasted energy as Pards has an 8 year contract.

Might as well ask yourself what it would be like if Messi signed for the club (not comparing Redknapp to Messi just showing the futility of the exercise)

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Ruddy…who knows 😉 it could be!

…never the less kudos for the Lionel Richie reference 🙂 it never goes unnoticed on here 😀 just ask Ibiza…lol

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM

How about our much fabled ‘team spirit’, where is it? AP seems to have gradually drained it out if them. Last time we came from behind in the league? October 2010 – Everton have done it 5/6 times this season!

So we’re awful at set-pieces, our passing is abysmal, the guts aren’t even there anymore and there’s nothing to suggest Pardew knows what he’s doing, quite the opposite, getting himself in more of a muddle each week and fashioning ever thinner excuses – that’s the sum total.

I just hope, as I don’t think he’ll pull the trigger yet, that if Pardew doesn’t meet his target of top 8, MA will be shot of him. Bottom 8 is where we’re heading – enjoy happy clappers 😀

• Transfer Sage

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Graeme

I don’t think many on here are calling for the same or better league place as last year.

It seems most just want pardew to get the squad playing to their strengths and get the best out of them.

It’s more performances that annoying people this year.

• Graeme

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Magpies – Harry Redcrap would shrivel up and die if he had to spend more than 48 hours North of the M25 – its part of the deal he made when he sold his soul to the devil lol.

He would only consider us if he lived down in Bournemouth (Canford Cliffs) and flew up for match days, with his staff doing his donkey work during the week. Its just never going to happen.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM

How about our much fabled lack of ‘team spirit’, where is it? AP seems to have gradually forced it into them. Last time we came from behind in the league? October 2010 – Everton have done it 5/6 times this season! (Hardly Pardew’s fault)

Pardews innovative ideas and problem solving abilities, mean we’ve scored from 1 of 243 corners! (Could be worse, could be 0 from 243)

So we’re not great at set-pieces, our passing could be better, the guts could be improved and there’s nothing to suggest Pardew doesn’t know what he’s doing, quite the opposite, getting himself in less of a muddle each week and fashioning ever more valid reasons – that’s the sum total.

I just hope, as I don’t think he’ll pull the trigger yet, that if Pardew doesn’t meet his target of top 8, MA will be willing to stick witf him. Top 8 is where we’re heading – enjoy you neggers 😉

• BelfastMagpie

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:14 PM

It makes no sense to change the manager at this moment.

If we had a real terrible season,I might change my tune. lol

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM

And anyone who has any power of analysis, can see which version is closer to the truth and which sounds like blind faith 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM

TS…well said!

…that and decission making – some have mentioned some of the players displaying bad decission making at times, but lately for me it has been Pardew who has shown that.

…of course it is not just down to one aspect, but for me Pardew surprised mw in the first half – his tactic worked to some extend, bbut he really messed up the tactics in the second half and got our subs wrong once again.

I said my peace during the second half and sadly it paned out 🙁

Tactics for me is the biggest sinner this season; some are underperforming sure and we have injuries. Who doesn’t – it is the same for every team. Luck might not be on our side either, but luck is not just something you can sit around and wait for 🙂

…lots of things are not paning out I guess. Tactics and half time instructions plus subs are definitely one of them.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Anyone who has any power of common sense can see which Ruddy is the real one and which is the pathetic loser who is so in love with my name and such a douche that he has to steal someone else’s. 😀