The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Cisse And Gutierrez To Return – But Obertan Injured

10:37 am, Sunday, November 18th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 147 Comments

Alan Pardew has said that Jonas Gutierrez and Papiss Cisse will be in the squad for the game against Maritimo on Thursday night, but Gabby Obertan, who was missing from the squad yesterday, has another toe injury, and he will miss the Maritimo game.

Papiss Cisse – in the squad for Maritimo game

And Alan Pardew has again talked about the baffling decision by the Senegal Football Federation to stop Papiss Cisse playing yesterday, and we hope Newcastle take whatever legal action they can on this rather stupid and uncalled for decision.

This is what Alan said about it after the game:

“The decision over Papiss was baffling, and that’s been a blow to us,” said Pardew after the final whistle.” “We kept getting promised that the decision was going to be overturned and that Senegal were going to let Papiss play, but we kept waiting and waiting and it was at about 1.40pm that we finally found out that wasn’t going to happen.”

“It did affect our preparation. Him missing was a blow to us. We didn’t feel we did anything wrong and he should have played.” “In the first 60 minutes (against Swansea) you would have expected Papiss to come up with a goal.”

It’s a good job we have a game at home against Maritimo in the Europa league on Thursday night, and then Southampton away in the Premier League, and it’s an opportunity for Newcastle to try to put things right quickly, after suffering two home defeats in a row in just seven days.

Jonas Gutierrez was all but ready to play in yesterday’s game, but Newcastle decided against taking the risk, which was probably the right decision, and he’ll be ready for Thursday night, but Gabby Obertan needs a minor toe operation, and he will miss the Maritimo game.

This is what the Newcastle manager said about Gabby, Jonas and Papiss:

“Obertan has got a toe that we needed to sort out, so there has been a man oeuvre on that which put him out today and probably for Maritimo as well. He might be back for Southampton.” “Jonas, we think will be back on Thursday, Papiss will be available and that will help.”

A win will see Newcastle qualify for the knockout rounds of the Europa League, but whether that’s good or not – it’s now hard to say – because these European games are decimating our season in the Premier League, which is still the number one priority.

But we need to get some wins under our belt to restore some confidence in the side.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Gabriel Obertan · Injuries · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse

147 responses so far ↓

• 1 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I don’t think cisse was missed yesterday.

Obviously it would have been better to have him but he has taken advantage of the few chances he has had this year anyway.

The problem yesterday was creating worthwhile chances, we had a lot of shots but very few which were of note.

We needed more creativity. Yesterday everything went through Ben arfa, it was too predictable but it was improved on the west ham game so credit to pardew.

On the previous thread….we can’t compete at the top. Every club and the top of the biggest leagues spends crazy money. We cannot compete financially, not Ashley’s fault he just hasn’t got a spare billion like abramovich

• 2 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 10:48 AM

*hasn’t taken advantage of chances

• 3 Graeme // Nov 18, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Pleased Cisse will be back – hopefully he will return to his previous form, being angered by his treatment on Saturday!!

Will Jonas make any difference? I really hope his enforced lay-off will have re-charged his batteries, he looked a shadow of his former self recently!! Hopefully Pardew and the coaches will have been working on his final delivery which has been non existent for far too long.

• 4 Offkey // Nov 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM

TS – Our problem all year has been worthwhile chances.

The only teams that have had less shots on goal than us per game are 5under1and, Stoke, Reading, Villa and Southampton. Great company.

Of these shots, the only team to get less on target are Southampton.

• 5 nico // Nov 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Here’s a noval idea. Do what Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City do. Play your best 11 fit players every game, no matter what the competition. You then may start to get some rythum. Obviously rest palyers if they are tired, but you don’t see top clubs resting star players like we do.

• 6 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Unfortunately, football has turned into a money game. You just can’t cut it at the top without the bank balance of a small country.

What we can do, is slowly improve season by season, even if its not the immediate progress some on here are hoping for. This is a work in progress, and for those who aren’t patient enough to stick by it, then I feel sorry for you. And it will be a long 8 years for you.
    But for those who can see what is really going on, then this will be a time of improvement, and the normal ups and downs of supporting the toon.

• 7 SouthCoastToonFan // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Conaldo I really do not agree with that. We didn’t have to spend massive amounts in the summer to improve or at least remain competitive. We needed a centerback as we have done for 2 years which we didn’t have to spend over to odds for just needed someone better than Williamson (not too hard). You also mention improving season by season in my opinion we have taken a big step back this year and with the current board I don’t see us ever pushing on as the money will never be there to do so.

• 8 Graeme // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Conaldo Wizard, I am more than happy to see improvement year on year, with stability within the club an added advantage. There is little doubt that we are a “Work in Progress” but so is every other club in this division.

We have only brought in one new player in the form of Anita, plus a couple for the future although Bigi is featuring far earlier than expected.

Would you consider our performances against WHU and Swansea as an improvement on last season? Would you say that our “Squad” who have now been together for about a year, are playing with fluency and composure? Are we playing for each other; creating spaces for each other: working off the ball for each other??

I would suggest that the answer is a resounding NO. We created very little yesterday which threatened the Swansea goal while their No 9 could have had four and should have had 2 at least.

Last season we had a squad that excelled through hard work, sheer determination and a desire to WORK – what happened to those laudable attributes of last season? The players are virtually the same ones as last season – where is the drive, the determination, the running off the ball that made us so good last season? It was nowhere to be seen in our last two games!!

Where is the improvement coming from??

• 9 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I’m confused. There’s 2 south coast toon now.
    Dark blue south coast toon – we all know we need a centre back. Pardew knows it. Mike Ashley knows it. He gambled, it didnt work.
    However, we are not going to be able to compete with the manchesters, an Chelsea (this season) without massive amounts of money. We can try to tough it out with arsenal and Tottenham, but really we aren’t at that level yet.
    Our competitors this season and last are Liverpool and Everton

• 10 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Graeme – read the rest of my comments from this morning. I have said that we need a bigger squad, better cover. We need to be able to get through injuries and suspensions to key players without falling apart.
    All I said was you need stupendous amounts of money to break into the very top of the table. Football has changed massively the last 10 years. The money in clubs has grown almost exponentially.

• 11 Munster Mag // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Do Newcastle want to become a big club? I dont think so. I’ve said often before, we are no more than a vehicle for Sports Direct . Ashley will do enough to keep us in the premier league, but thats about it. So after ballsing up so many things, he got a manager that suited him and pulled a masterstroke by getting a great chief scout. In reality, when it comes to spending money, as I have explained before, we will be fast as hell in for the Bigi’s of this world, but spending 10-15 mill on 2 really decent players was a pyschological step too far, so we got Anita, who can do a few jobs instead of one. I have to say though, Pardew fell badly in my estimations yesterday. Hiding behine the Cisse excuse was pitiful. Has it been Ba, or Colo, or Ben Arfa, I could accept his point. But he knew that many fans watching would think that Cisse is key to out form, but we all know, that he isnt these days. It was a sad effort, and we should have been stuffed,. Trouble ahead.

• 12 Alan_Pard_Who // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Conaldo

Take the results of last season away along with the leauge position and can yo sit there and tell me that our football/tactics/on the field play has improved over the past 2 years under Pardew?

The answer is no. If he used these tactics with Carroll and Nolan still in the squad then I’d like to think we would be challenging top 6, but he no longer has the tall striker and attacking central midfielder that used to combine so well.

In the 2 years under Pardews stewardship I have seen no, and i mean no, improvement of the footballing quality on the pitch. Infact I’d say our tactics are worse now than ever.

The reason being that we have a very talented squad used terribly. Why make a broth when you can have stake? Pardew buys into his own brand of bullshit of some blindly follow.

Many of you think this is a snap judgment by the masses, and whilst I can’t speak for everyone. my opinion is based around the fact that when Pardew was employed I hated it as I thought he was a very poor manager. When Pardew took an able team to lofty heights last season I hated it, because it should’ve and could’ve been with better quality, more control and a higher leauge position. And now I hate it because every time I expressed my opinion that Pardew is poor I was shot down, now that we are seeing the real truth beind Pardews words some still cling onto an idealistic hope that he will be the next Ferguson/Wenger/Sir Bobby/Cloughie etc… which he is not.

He was given 8 years to offer stability and to say yes to everything ordered by Ashley. The decision wasnt a footballing one, after all it’s just business.

• 13 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Hard to keep the faith when our manager conjures up another excuse. Wonder what it’ll be when we get beat by Southampton.

Think it’s not only the fans who are disillusioned by him too. Don’t think too many are enamoured with him in that dressing room, looks like some of them don’t wanna bother playing for him.

Pardew out!

• 14 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Easy to keep the faith when our manager conjures up another valid reason. Wonder what it’ll be when we beat Southampton.

Think it’s only some fans who are disillusioned by him though. Don’t think too many are displeased with him in that dressing room, looks like some of them really wanna be playing for him.

Pardew In!

• 15 SouthCoastToonFan // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Yeah sorry Conaldo I am new to the blog. Well posting on it anyway! I am not expecting us to spend like Utd or Chelsea but £10m to £15m investment on a few players a year shouldn’t seem to far a stretch for a club of our size should it? That could be 3 solid players through the door or 1 very good one and a good squad one. I get the impression that the board don’t look at the football so much as what’s in it for them?

• 16 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Right I’m off. Keeping to my word yesterday. I can’t be bothered with people who say – take away the results and league position last year, then pardew is crap.

Eh!!

So basically your saying apart from the times Pardew did excellently, he crap?
    You sir are a genius.

• 17 jodemode // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM

It’s obvious Obertan has an ingrown toenail issue. They should cut out his whole toenail on both big toes and give him a month and let him play again. Those things are so painful.

• 18 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Now ruddy jiz and ruddy giz!!

Honestly! You people are trying to confuse me.

Later.

• 19 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Always a pleasure Conaldo ;)

• 20 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM

And before I go,
    Dark blue south coast – no it shouldn’t. But unfortunately Ashley thinks it is. Not really much we can do about that.

• 21 Alan_Pard_Who // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Take away the results off any team and look at the performance and it is there you see the truth.

Results can be fluked, performances can not.

We had no performancelast season or this but last season we had luck.

This is something that can be apllied to all levels of management in every sector, not just football.

You dont have to be a footballing expert to see last season we played dog shit but somehow ended up winning games we shouldve lost after being uttewrly outclassed on the field.

It was ok for some while we were winning, but not ok for some now we are loosing.

for others it was never ok, despite the results.

I suggest some of you go back to post match comments from last season to see how many negative comments were being made despite the results and how many people then were saying ‘he’ll get it right’.

• 22 Graeme // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Munster – we have always been a vehicle for Sports Direct, since the day MA bought NUFC!! Now we are in Europe, it has opened up an even bigger market as the SD tat all over the stadium is broadcast all over Europe.

If we got into Champions League, all his advertising would have to be removed under UEFA rules – it becomes far less attractive to MA in those circumstances!!

• 23 spitfire_ // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Jeeez… I’m starting to feel sick we I look the games in December… I think by th New Year’s eve Pardew will be run out of excuses… or he will repeated the old records.

• 24 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Real ruddy
    Nice!

• 25 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Been trying to read up on the comments today and it has been a strange experience – people do really precive our game very differently, even those who attend the games.

…guess we all make up our own opinions. I know what mine is – it has not really changed most from what I wrote last night and guess what the match didn’t ruin my weekend this time :-D

Ruddy…good to see you mate – how have you been?

• 26 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Jesper

I’ve been well, keeping a pretty low profile and letting the hardcore factions of both sides of the divide fight it out while I enjoy (or not enjoy) the football we’re playing this season.

Does anyone else think that Ole Gunnar Solskaer is sitting somewhere in Norway looking at this blog singing softly to himself:

“Hello….Is it me you’re looking for?”

No? :P

• 27 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I don’t mind our transfer policy.

It’s the same as most clubs.

Obviously city and Chelsea spend big but there owners have vast amounts if money.

Man utd spend big but have huge revenue coming in and are in over 500mil debt with their owners.

Arsenal spend maybe 20/30mil a season but only after they sell their biggest player.

Spurs spend a decent bit but they are adding to debt as they don’t have a huge revenue. They also sold people for a lot like berbatov and Carrick.

Then Liverpool spent big, got nowhere so cut right back.

After that you have Everton, west brom, Fulham, Swansea. All spend similar to us.

The problem we have is we need more transfer targets and a bigger scouting network.

If we only pay what is deemed good value we need to have many more options available if our first choice is too expensive. That’s my only criticism of transfer policy.

Why chase de Jong for months when we are never going to pay the 14 mil they want.

• 28 Magpies-till-d3ath // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Hate to have to resort to this, but while I was trying to watch MOTD yesterday without crying, I was actually wondering what things would be like with Redknapp as manager. Please don’t crucify me or anything if you don’t agree that he’d take us to where we should be!

• 29 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Magpies til death

I certainly think he would get us playing more aggressively and going for the win. I think he is a better manager but he does like his transfers and I don’t think we would give him as much as he likes.

Also he wouldn’t even move from Portsmouth to London, he drove everyday so there’s no chance he would move up north

Valid point though

• 30 Graeme // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Ruddy, I really don’t think replacing the manager at this stage will achieve anything whatsoever; in fact, its more likely to be detrimental to the club.

If we don’t improve on, or at least get close to where we were last season, by the end of next season, then maybe it would be time to consider our options. However, there is a lot to be said for a bit of “Long Term” stability over 4 or more seasons before any wholesale changes are contemplated.

It cannot be denied that we exceeded ALL expectations last season, which makes this season even more difficult for everyone. We have seen what this squad can achieve and expect that to be the minimum standard for this season – I know I do, rightly or wrongly.

However the fact we are struggling to come close to the standards we set ourselves last year, does not mean that sacking the Manager is the answer – its probably the LAST thing we should consider.

• 31 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Even considering a new manager is wasted energy as Pards has an 8 year contract.

Might as well ask yourself what it would be like if Messi signed for the club (not comparing Redknapp to Messi just showing the futility of the exercise)

• 32 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Ruddy…who knows ;-) it could be!

…never the less kudos for the Lionel Richie reference :-) it never goes unnoticed on here :-D just ask Ibiza…lol

• 33 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:08 PM

How about our much fabled ‘team spirit’, where is it? AP seems to have gradually drained it out if them. Last time we came from behind in the league? October 2010 – Everton have done it 5/6 times this season!

So we’re awful at set-pieces, our passing is abysmal, the guts aren’t even there anymore and there’s nothing to suggest Pardew knows what he’s doing, quite the opposite, getting himself in more of a muddle each week and fashioning ever thinner excuses – that’s the sum total.

I just hope, as I don’t think he’ll pull the trigger yet, that if Pardew doesn’t meet his target of top 8, MA will be shot of him. Bottom 8 is where we’re heading – enjoy happy clappers :D

• 34 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Graeme

I don’t think many on here are calling for the same or better league place as last year.

It seems most just want pardew to get the squad playing to their strengths and get the best out of them.

It’s more performances that annoying people this year.

• 35 Graeme // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Magpies – Harry Redcrap would shrivel up and die if he had to spend more than 48 hours North of the M25 – its part of the deal he made when he sold his soul to the devil lol.

He would only consider us if he lived down in Bournemouth (Canford Cliffs) and flew up for match days, with his staff doing his donkey work during the week. Its just never going to happen.

• 36 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM

How about our much fabled lack of ‘team spirit’, where is it? AP seems to have gradually forced it into them. Last time we came from behind in the league? October 2010 – Everton have done it 5/6 times this season! (Hardly Pardew’s fault)

Pardews innovative ideas and problem solving abilities, mean we’ve scored from 1 of 243 corners! (Could be worse, could be 0 from 243)

So we’re not great at set-pieces, our passing could be better, the guts could be improved and there’s nothing to suggest Pardew doesn’t know what he’s doing, quite the opposite, getting himself in less of a muddle each week and fashioning ever more valid reasons – that’s the sum total.

I just hope, as I don’t think he’ll pull the trigger yet, that if Pardew doesn’t meet his target of top 8, MA will be willing to stick witf him. Top 8 is where we’re heading – enjoy you neggers ;)

• 37 BelfastMagpie // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:14 PM

It makes no sense to change the manager at this moment.

If we had a real terrible season,I might change my tune. lol

• 38 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM

And anyone who has any power of analysis, can see which version is closer to the truth and which sounds like blind faith :)

• 39 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM

TS…well said!

…that and decission making – some have mentioned some of the players displaying bad decission making at times, but lately for me it has been Pardew who has shown that.

…of course it is not just down to one aspect, but for me Pardew surprised mw in the first half – his tactic worked to some extend, bbut he really messed up the tactics in the second half and got our subs wrong once again.

I said my peace during the second half and sadly it paned out :-(

Tactics for me is the biggest sinner this season; some are underperforming sure and we have injuries. Who doesn’t – it is the same for every team. Luck might not be on our side either, but luck is not just something you can sit around and wait for :-)

…lots of things are not paning out I guess. Tactics and half time instructions plus subs are definitely one of them.

• 40 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Anyone who has any power of common sense can see which Ruddy is the real one and which is the pathetic loser who is so in love with my name and such a douche that he has to steal someone else’s. :D

• 41 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:21 PM

…I apologies for the grammar but I am writing from my phone.

• 42 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Awwww, still wailing over that are we? Going nowhere, my friend :)

• 43 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Nope not still wailing, I’m just waiting for you to post so I can muddy the water by writing the exact opposite. I’m bored and have descended to your level. Also, I’ve noticed how no one engages you whenever you have anything to say.

No one wants to talk to fake imitation, they want the real mc coy ;)

• 44 WWYCD // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Biggest problem Pards has is the level he got us to reach last season, everyone predicted relegation battle for a reason last year let’s face it but we clicked and hit form under his lead

Now the wheels are coming off and because of the great things of last season our board decided to play chicken with every club over the summer resulting in next to no success in transfers. Patched over holes again rather than filled them

Now injury hit and suspensions hurting we look less the 5th finishing hard working team and more the weakened squad open to a mauling. Still a few results could raise the players spirits and make a big difference

• 45 Graeme // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Transfer Sage, I would suggest that if Pardeau achieved the level of performance of last year, the results and league position would follow.

The whole issue is the fact the same players are playing the same game, with the same manager as last year. Yet, by comparison, we are playing like a team who only met for the first time on the morning of the game!!

Where / how did it all go so wrong, so quickly?

• 46 Jail for Ashley // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I don’t think we should read too muc into this eight year contract it’s probably riddled with clauses and achievement bonuses anyway, on people saying that Ashley isn’t bothered about league position, I believed that until we signed Cisse then my attitude changed a bit, why would we spend 9M on a striker if we had no aspirations on improving our standing, then in the summer when Leon Best was sold and we were heavily linked with De Jong I really thought we were going places, only to find out that the sale of Best and Forster was to fund the purchase of utility man Anita, the 25M bid that they thought we were going to get for Tote never came so did the collapse of anymore players coming, I’m not suggesting Ashley is taking money out of the club but my question is where is the money going.

• 47 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I don’t expect people to engage with me, when I’m cutting to the chase and presenting the impermeable truth on the bigger picture. Anyway, often people do engage, particularly when I’m here during matches. The ‘real McCoy’ can’t be that easily identifiable, only yesterday, Tsunki (still) had to question which of us was posting :)

Pretending not to care anymore is a new tactic, I’ll give you that, but like Pardew’s efforts to change tack, it’s ineffective and predictable, reaping no rewards.

• 48 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM

You do know that I am still on the blog under a different name, I’m not pathetic enough to employ tactics because I don’t see it as a game or something that we are competing for.

If you want the name you can have it, however be prepared that if and when I am bored I will mess with your posts.

If people are questioning whether the real one or not is commenting then either you are becoming more pro-Pardew or employing more common sense, neither of which will harm my reputation so by all means work away :D

• 49 magpie6699 // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Forgetting about Manure, Citeh and Chelski – all profligate (good word for this early on a Sunday) spenders, who are the managers we rate in the EPL? Wenger? Moyes?
    Well, thinking about Moyes, there have been plenty of times when Everton have had a disastrous run of results, often at the start of the season. Did Kenwright sack him? No. He realised that changing the manager repeatedly never works and gave Moyes time to turn things round. And personally I think that policy has paid off.
    My point? All those hinting at getting rid of Pardew, following on from a succession of short-lived managers, should think again. I’m not a massive fan of Pardew – can’t rate him compared to KK first time, Sir Bobby, Joe Harvey and possibly also Arthur Cox BUT – we need to give SOMEONE time to take things forward and it may as well be him now because he did get us to our highest league place for some time, into the Europa and we got some good players in who seem to rate him but who happen to be injured, suspended or under-performimg at the moment.

• 50 Jail for Ashley // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Ruddy,
    Your the only person who could start an argument with your self.

• 51 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Graeme…it is difficult to say really; it it probably a combination of many factors. Maybe we think we are better than we really are this seaon.

…We have the same team and the same manager; maybe there have been a bit of arrogance and complacency this season.

Last season I was very surprised that we finished so high – very pleased of course, but it was nit because of performance – we were grinding out results for whatever reason.

This season we are not grinding out the same results, but performances are the same. Maybe we are missing the goals from Cisse and Ba and maybe we are missing the saves from Krul :-)

I would rather have performance than results :-) for me one is short term and the other long term :-)

• 52 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Jail

I know, dreadful case of split personality disorder. How’s things been? Still overseas or you home?

• 53 check the toastie // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Could we really be dragged into some sort of relegation battle with this squad we have?

It has to go down as the biggest mismanagement of a squad in the history of the Premier League.

What is going on, and what have we got to look forward to – predictably more of the same.

His one overidding tactic is to play off the frontmen, put the ball into Ba, Shola, Cisse and build from there.
    Marveuax should have came on yesterday for Fergy who had a mare, Shola was so predictable.

Pardew will be getting worried, crowd yesterday were almost resigned to the result, not much annoyance more acceptance, strange really.

• 54 bills-son // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I’ve been saying for a while, and said before yesterdays game, we haven’t got a CM who can dictacte the game. Our midfield currently is a mess. It’s easy to blame the defence, and Willo in particular, but the time and space that Swansea had to play those through balls was a joke. Time and again Willo and Taylor had players running at them from the half way line without any challenge from our midfield.

Last season when Cabaye was out I thought Guthrie did a more than decent job, in fact at the time I said he was playing better than Cabaye. Guthrie is no superstar but we haven’t replaced him, Anita and Marveaux have next to no impact on games.

Although I’ve defended Pardew it’s his job to get a team out there that is organised and can get a grip in midfield. I think we have to play 451 because we currently aren’t strong enough to win midfield battles with just 3 or 4 in there. If that means we grind out 1.0 wins so be it.

• 55 Jail for Ashley // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Ruddy
    At home for a couple of weeks but glad I couldn’t make the game yesterday.
    On Ian Toon slagging the fans for not being vocal at the match, well I was at the WH game and it’s pretty hard to get in the mood in the freezing cold when that tripes being served up.

• 56 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM

tarie 4

sorry its late, dam work

the reasons i think the club are now going backwards

NO1, pardew, he talks a good game, most actually believe the words comming out of his mouth,, but that old saying , actions speak louder than words, his actions or lack of them prove week after week he is not good enough

no2, team spirit, blame ba, blame cisse, blame obertan ,shola, anyone, ba last season, spat the dummy, he got played on the left, to no effect, but was on the pitch, said if he dont play through the center he was off, marv running away because he was named a sub, shola running down the tunnel after being subbed, after we just had a man sent off,, next week he is in the side right side of a front 3, hey he was great there ,
    you can not tell me that our players esp midfield, can be happy watching that ball go over there heads 80 times a game? will this create good team spirit,

no3, training or lack of training, you can not sit there and say they practice that football we watch at the weekend, its just not posseble
    first season back in the prem, i remember playing man city, they played much better football but lost, but i was proud, i thought we where the better team, city finished 3rd that year, and we out played them under CH, and it wasnt just one game, it was many,, we had a style,

no4, his interviews leave you confused,
    pardews words of wisdom, some of my faves
    HBA, he is a real gem, he is a proper no 10, we are lucky to have him,, then saying well if he wants to be in the team he has to do more work for the team to get in

gets himself fit, shoved out on the right, only after we fans screamed and screamed that obertan wasnt good enough, but we still had to wait til obertan got injured, hmmm HBA in the side every week, obertan on the bench,, guess we were right about that one

obertan, he is a confidence player, he needs to feel loved,, week after week, we are wining or not losing obertan is getting worse and worse, fans at the ground booing him, surley , any kind hearted guy wouldsay, son,, im taken you out of the lime light for a while and work on his game,, pardew sent him out to be slaughterd every week,, and i still dont see any improvement in his game,
    he still cuts inside, he still loses the ball a lot, he still can not cross a ball

yesterday, after the match, . listen to his words,

we had a lot of kids out there today, kind of as an excuse for loosing then says in his next breath, we were better than last week, contradicts himself a bit,, should we stick with the kids, who played better??

as a team/club, we have took a step backwards from what CH did for the club

IBIZA

my 2 weeks was just me being funny, the rest of that comment was all true though,

i would expect to see a new manager stamp his brand of football on the club within 6 months of joing the club

take rodgers at liverpool,, there in no way in hell they have a better squad than ours, ours is better in every way, that team has been driven by gerrad for so long he was a one man team, but rodgers now has them passing the ball like they where brazil

take laudrup yesteday, tookover from rodgers, but still pass the ball, and created clearer chances,,

and lets get one fact straight,, do i like changing managers,, no, not one bit,, but in pardew, i think he is limited in what he can do with quality players,

he can make pub players look great, but he can also make great players look like pub players,, he does that every week

• 57 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I think there are several problems.

We didn’t strengthen other than Anita (in terms of regular first team squad members)

Our players achieved a bit of a cult status last season as they got us fifth and back in Europe.

And finally pardew doesn’t seem to be changing things enough.

This has resulted in what I perceive as lack of effort from most. We have a team of players (except Ben arfa, Ba and santon, stood out for me) who just look to coast through games and always take the easy option.

What’s easier? Passing and moving, running around and hassling the opposition or knocking a 60 yard ball to shola.

Too many of our players are just taking te lazy option of kicking it long.

I’m not sure how pardew can change things but he needs to make them stop this. It’s unacceptable as they are capable of passing well they are just being lazy.

Also Europa league doesnt help as we change too many players and we also don’t have the full week to prepare for 1 game.

• 58 seancavaz // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Reading the doom I thought I’d share some quotes from Brian Clough to help ease the mood:

‘Rome wasn’t built in a day. But I wasn’t on that particular job.’

‘Players lose you games, not tactics. There’s so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes’

‘If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he’d have put grass up there’ -

• 59 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Jail

Well the standard has been pretty poor of late but everyone has differing opinions on the long term vision of the owner and ambitions and vision of the manager but it just remains to be seen where we will be in a few years time.

I see it as a work in progress that hopefully we see progressing in the years to come, if that doesn’t pan out then I will be as much in arms as the rest.

I can see why fans at the ground would be disillusioned though, paying good money and not getting it’s worth.

• 60 Graeme // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Greetings Jeper – is the word still the word lol??

I would have to disagree when you say the performances are the same, as they clearly are not. Yesterday, nobody was moving, creating spaces for the man on the ball to pass to.

The back 4 were static; Krull probably played his worst game as far as his distribution goes – he was directly to blame for Swansea’s first goal, passing straight to their player, but the defence were so slow to react, it was put on a plate for them.

I think MA’s gamble not to sign the obviously needed CB is backfiring in spectacular fashion. Maybe this will be rectified in January, maybe not. That the squad needs strengthening, is not in doubt and cannot be denied.

Fingers crossed something is done about it in order to turn the season around – fingers crossed!!

• 61 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Bills

I was going to disagree on the midfielder not dictating the game then I thought about it in another way.

We have a tackler in tiote, we have a good attacking threat in cabaye and we have Anita who was a great passer at Ajax

The one element I think we do lack is a driving player. A player who will run past the opposition midfield ad expose their defence to shoot or play a killer ball.

I mean the likes of a yaya toure, a viera, a Gerard, etc

For me we ha the chance of that player. Mohammed Diame on a free during the summer. He would have offered that driving threat which just makes space.

We have Ben arfa who sometimes does this when he drops deep and runs through the middle of the pitch so I would be tempted to play him behind a striker and give him licence to come as deep as he likes to collect the ball.

The leave tiote holding with cabaye in their too getting forward when he can

• 62 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Ruddy…are you really still around under a different name or are you just messing about with Ruddy Jiz? ;-)

…wait don’t tell me it will just ruin the fun :-D

• 63 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Well at this stage, being more pro-Pardew and using common sense are concepts at loggerheads, so I’d have to say as I’m using the latter, you never had it to begin with and just preached like a whacky evangelist. You’ve always just been pro-Pardew, mascarading as an arbiter of common sense. Your latest defence of him helps in debunking that, you can’t even so much as pass a slight criticism of him.

You can mess with my posts as much as you please. I’m not like you, in that I’m not an imperious, precious princess about my comments on a blog :D

• 64 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM

can anyone explain to me why yesterday ANITA was moved to left back
    simpson went off,
    anita is DMC or RB
    so move a left back to right back and put a right back at left back so bigi can get on
    your chasing the game, and you think defensive first,,

what was pardew trying to do,,

answers on a post card please

• 65 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM

By the way, did you apologise to that bloke you wrongly accused?

• 66 seantoon // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:03 PM

We deffinately need some new signings in the summer. I’d get another winger in because at the moment I don’t think we’d create a chance if Ben arfa wasn’t playing

• 67 bills-son // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:04 PM

A few on the blog are saying we have the same team as last season. We dont. Our best run last season was the first 10 unbeaten games when we had one of the best defensive records in four divisions.

The difference to this season was a settled team who played a pressing game. We had Best and Ba closing defenders down, Guti and Oba covering our full backs and the defence playing a high line. That meant we always had plenty of players around the ball in midfield. This season its totally different. Cisse when he plays doesn’t close defenders down, neither doex HBA, the defence is playing deeper and there is now acres of space in the middle of the park for the oppo. If we don’t get a grip in midfield you could play the two best centre halves in the world and we’d still be vulnerable to defeats off the likes of Swansea.

• 68 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Catchy

I disagree with bringing bigi on, he won’t create so why not try amalfitano.

But Anita did play as the left full back for Ajax before he moved to centre mid.

• 69 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Catchy

Whilst I think pardew can take us forward you raise a good point in him saying strange things.

I remember various articles ed put up at the start of the season where santon said he had been told he would be the right back.

We then spent moths trying to sign a new right back and when we didn’t get him we kept santon left back anyway.

• 70 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Bills son

I am sorry but obertan closed down less than Ben arfa did last year. Obertan was a total passenger in games.

Ben arfa at the moment is one of few players who close down opposition. Most of then just stand and watch .

• 71 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Catchy, you’re in danger of cutting through the crap and seeing our manager for what he is, a PR man who changes his tune from week to week, hoping nobody notices his trail of contradictions and lies.

• 72 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Bills son

But our best games last year was the run of 6 wins near the end.

That is the same team we currently play so what’s the excuse for that?

• 73 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Transfer Sage

i have loads of things like that, that he has said,,

fergy a few weeks ago,, pardew said,, he is good he has that ini his locker, he can peal oranges with that foot of his,
    next match, fergy was the 3 LW sub we used, now sammy getting on the left before ferg, i can live with that, but obertan got on the pitch as a left winger before fergy,,

he said about young campbell

there is nothing to chose between him and shola, so we have a 17 year old boy as good as shola, but he gets no where near the team, shola is there only cos of his size, he is shit at everythig else, should have been kicjed out the club a long time ago

• 74 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Graeme…I would have to say the bird is the word ;-) lol

…well my point was that the performances last season was more that that different from this season – we were just grinding out results :-)

…the players are the same, the tactics are the same, but we are missing the goals from Cisse and the saves from Krul :-)

…I never thought we were brilliant last season – I was really surprised we were getting away with it, but I’ll take a win of course.

I am trying to be a pain or anything :-D it is just my opinion.

• 75 Jail for Ashley // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Bills,
    We all know that something is wrong at the club and everyone seems to have a different opinion as to what it is, my own personal opinion is that there is a serious lack of morale within the senior players due to the lack of investment in the summer.

• 76 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Catchy

I think Campbell is held back too much.

He has had 2 first team games I have seen as a late sub and looked like he fitted in right away.

He may only be 17 but he has impressed so much. He has won 2 years in a row the award in the Nike tournament that tevez, Torres and xavi won so he clearly has talent.

If he was at arsenal he would have had a good 10-15 games in cups and towards the end of a game by now.

Reserve/under 21 football is so much off the pace of actual prem league so he needs to get a go in the first team.

• 77 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

i seen through him a long time ago,,

i guess if you take him at face value, like most fans did, you believe him,
    but if you acctully listen to him, and think about it, i think he has 2 personalities, the one in front of the camara is really good,, i like him, if he did what he said we would be in the top four for sure

instead, he does the opisite ,, we didnt get our passing game going today,,

hello,, what pasiing game?

• 78 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Jail.

If that’s the reason do you not think it is highly unprofessional?

I mean look at the spirit at west brom and Everton who doing so well. Only a couple signings made by each of them.

But it all depends I suppose on what was said to the players when they joined. We’re they told it would be a slow building process or were they promised a decent amount of investment

• 79 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM

jail

due to the lack of investment in the summer.
    or
    could it be the long ball football, its still the same group,

investment means some of those senior player would be dropped, who would be happy at that,,

• 80 bills-son // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Transfer, i don’t agree on Oba last season. He might have been frustrating with the ball but he did a hell of a lot more work off it than he was given credit for.

As for the six game run, I said at the time (and got some stick for it) that we had been lucky as in nearly all of those games the oppo had loads of possession and chances. The difference was Cisse stuck nearly every chance away that fell to him. My point anout the first ten games is that this was a side who looked solid, organised and difficult to beat – the exact opposite of what we look now.

I still think we’ve got the quality to finish in the top 7/8 but only if Pards changes the formation – something I’ve been saying since the start of the season.

• 81 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Catchy you talk nothing but a pathetic load of old drivel do you know that? You think you’ve got a clue but you obviously are mental, you and your gang?

If there is one thing I hate it is cliques….

• 82 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Graeme…when you forget to write not infront of a word it really does have a different meaning :-) hehe

…sorry about that!

• 83 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Transfer Sage

rodny came through at everton at 17
    shearer himself came through at 17
    hell, i bet the best way for him to improve would be testing himself against top players ,,

and before anyone has a go at me, im not saying start with him, but him or shola ,, we know what we get from shola,, whackkkk long ball, why not use the kid as a sub and see what he has got that has won him this title 2 years running

• 84 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

please explain pardews actions, cos if im mental , he is way menteler than me

• 85 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Catchy

I agree, he contrives a quite convincing front, but the proof is in the pudding and unfortunately his recipe book is from a 1980s greasy spoon. The ingredients are there, he’s the problem.

• 86 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Bills

I think obertan either gets too much or too little credit. He tried but I don’t think he did do that much defensive duties.

I don’t think formation is that much of a problem. 442 works fine if you use the right players. The problem is we use the wrong players in the system.

I want us to make sure the basics are right. We can’t even pass a ball at the moment.

• 87 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Original ruddy

There is no clique….it is just people who have the same view. The same as all the pro pardew people or pro/anti Ashley.

I don’t agree with everything catchy says but he has some good points.

• 88 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:28 PM

bills-son

i totally dissagree on obertan,
    we have had many chats about this, and you need to watch him more closely, his work rate is poor, he dose not track back anything like you think he does, he is never on the right wing waiting for a ball,

and a agree, about the last 6 games,,, ba done nothing,, HBA cisse and cabaye looked amazing, no one could handle them

• 89 tequilamag // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:29 PM

catchy@73 still banging the drum about Pardew playing favourites and why does Obertan get picked before Fergie.
    Hate to spoil your narrative with a little thing like facts but Obertan has only played 81 mins in the PL compared to Fergies 241. Your critcizing Pardew for something you asked him to do,

• 90 bills-son // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Jail, re the morale, I agree there might be something in what you say. I’ve said before that whilst I agree overall with Ashley’s transfer policy it is frustrating when we don’t sign players for the sake of a million quid more. However, even if we’d signed a RB and CH the injuries and suspensions this year would still have had an affect. We were lucky in that respect at the start of last season, this season its been the exact opposite.

• 91 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Catchy

If anything the pace of Campbell would help stretch teams.

This would give more room to our creative players and force the opposition defence to either sit closer to their own goal to defend his pace or risk him breaking behind.

• 92 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:30 PM

TransferSage

I think it’s his attempt at irony.

• 93 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Transfer Sage

same here,, i dont agree with you all the time, but i think we are thinking in general the same thoughts about pardew,,

and trust me,, for pardew to come out and say we are panicking over the last few games results,, he knows, that there is more than just a few of us,,

rudy
    i dont under stan you, one minut im mad, not thinking right,, the next your kind of agreeing with me,,
    WTF

• 94 Munster Mag // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Billson, I tend to agree with you re the fottball style, last season etc . I also think that a pressing game and 4-4-2 is Pardews favourite approach, and it worked to a T last season when covering the full backs with Guti etc. We both agreed on this in the summer, and the potential problem with Cisse and Ba, which has come home to roost big time. I’m not certain Pardew is the man to get us out of this, but i think a lot of happy clappies have to put their hands up at this point and say _ ” we got it wrong” ( thus far anyway ) . Ashley didnt invest ( just like many of us knew, and were told to shut up and be patient ) , and now there are few challengers to many first teamers. Most / maybe all players are playing worse, and we dont create much. Most teams have been better than us this season aswell. I think 4-2-3-1 would suit us, but it tends to leave the flanks a bit exposed. Finally, I’ve always questioned why Pardew was chosen and I’m beginning to ask it again now. Ashley and Pardew have been facing acid tests since the summer and both are failing those tests. I hope we can turn it around but the best we can hope for looks like a decline to mid table mediocrity. Also why was Pardew awared such a long contract – why was this necessary??

• 95 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Catchy

There are two ruddy’s

On the mobile site one has a blue picture and one has a green one.

The one who disagrees is original ruddy and the one who agrees is the new or fake ruddy.

• 96 Graeme // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Jesper, I read it as you meant it lol, not a problem, I knew what you meant

• 97 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM

tequilamag

where did that come from?? i have not said that in over a week

but here you go,, check how many times theye have been on the pitch,
    you wil find, obertan get on the pitch for more matches, maybe not more time,, so his first thoughts are normally, shola or oberrtan

• 98 Munster Mag // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM

But Billson, re the 1-2 mill more, with all due respect mate, guys like you were telling us that it showed NUFC wouldnt be taken for a ride in the market. Apologies if u didnt actually say this, but I always felt this was utter rubbish. But if big balls Ashley offers 4 mill for a class act like Debuchy, its NUFC that look like the numpties. Put it this was, if Redknapp was at Spurs now and offered 3 mill for Santon, how would we feel?

• 99 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:35 PM

my point at no 73,,

was he was brought on as a left winger,,

surely if you change a left winger, you put a left sided player on???

• 100 Ketsbaia9 // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:36 PM

We need to sign at least Debuchy, Sissokho, Remy and Alderewerield in January. If we don’t sign these players we will finish where we are now.

We can’t keep playing players who are non-league standard. I’m looking forward to seeing Abeid, Marveaux and Ben Arfa in the same team.

• 101 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Transfer Sage

lmao
    i see,,

sorry ruddy

• 102 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Munster Mag 98 great comment

• 103 tequilamag // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Catchy I already checked which is why I posted those figures for time on pitch. And my comment was in response to your post @73 not something said a week ago. BTW that is not a dig at Fergie, although he was not great first half yesterday I thought Pardew took him off to early. I am simply making the point that your prejudices/ opinions are not always backed up by the facts.

• 104 Munster Mag // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Feel I have to re-iterate, I always liked Pards from day one, but to see him hide behind Cisse, a player who has contributed zilch this season, was pathetic and showed a guy who either isnt seeing the wood for the trees, or a pure bullshi**er….

• 105 Ross Lindsay // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Something is seriously wrong in the squad with we don’t have enough to turn over Martimo at home in the Europa. Pardew seems to keep highlighting the issue yesterday with Cisse being ruled out of the game, this sounds like some sort of excuse, we all know that judging by his current form it would have almost certaintly made no difference. Quttierez is having a shocking season, the work rate is still there for all to see but there is thing’s lacking in his game that have been there before. His ability to take players on and go on a run has vanished from his game. I still struggle to understand why extra players were not brought in the summer, to improve the team aswell as the squad.
    Team for Thursday night would be:
    Elliott
    Anita Taylor Collocini Ferguson
    Marveaux Tiote Abeid Sammy Ameobi
    Cisse Shola

• 106 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Kets

What would you think of this team? Won’t put defence as we know what it would be.

————-tiote——-cabaye—————-
    Marvoux———–Ben arfa————abeid
    ——————–Ba————————-

For me marvoux, Ben arfa and abeid can all play centrally or wide.

Similar to Chelsea with mata, Oscar and hazard. They can all love around, all have a goal threat, all create.

Then obviously against lesser teams cabaye will spend less time defending and more time helping with attacks.

Ben arfa can collect the ball deep if he wants and run through to open the opposition up.

• 107 nufc_eire // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I think the way to get back on track is easily solved by playing an extra midfielder. I thought yesterday that was going to happen with Sammy and Ferguson on the wings, Ba up front on his own and Benny as the creative catalyst just behind the striker. That would leave Tiote sitting deep and Anita’s main job to link defense with attack. However we lined up in our usual 4-4-2.

4-4-2 in itself isn’t necessarily a bad formation to play but we are making an absolute farce of it. The big thing I’ve noticed (and sorry if this has been pointed out by someone else before) is that every time the opposition have the ball one of our midfielders follows their defensive mid tightly up the pitch. This leaves our other midfielder having to pick up one of the other midfielders and leaves one man free all the time. This is usually the withdrawn striker so Michu yesterday and the likes of Rooney etc. Also pushing this high up means that there is acres of space in midfield to find this free man or to set up a 2v1 against our other midfielder.

What this means is that every time the oppostion get the ball there is a huge gap between our defense and midfield and one of their players gets a free run at Williamson usually (because colo/taylor is marking their striker) which is far from ideal. Every team that has come up against us have looked very good when attacking and I think this is the reason. If we had 3 in midfield and just left tiote to shuttle across and sit on top of the back four this would stop half the chances the other team get.

Pardew said recently enough that we used to be able to come 3v2 in the centre of the park because Cabaye and Tiote were world class and could handle it. And it did work last season (esp against Man U but they played 4-4-2 as well that day which was stupid on their part). Other teams have now worked out how to play against us so we need to adapt and not persist with something which is not working.

• 108 sirtoongospel // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM

We need a striker in January. We can’t go a full season with 2, and Shola should only be used in the last 20 minutes which worked well back end of last season.

But Demba has had a niggling injury, Papiss has too, yet there is no let up for them as we are involved in Europe also. If Ashley invested with a top forward, Remy or Walcott for instance as they both have pace, then it would lift the place but also give us options.

HBA is basically our only hope at the minute, and he should be given a break sometimes too.

Imagine a front 3 of Remy, Ba and Cisse? We would be devastating. Or if Pards wanted 2 up front then rotate them, but in a way that they are rested and not dropped.

Got a feeling Simpson might be away in January, so Debuchy would be a great addition, then invest in the forward player. We can manage at CB till the Summer when we could perhaps add one then along with Sissokho for free.

Other than the striker we arent talking mega bucks here, but our squad would be so much stronger. The likes of Bigirimana are having to perform now, when we could possibly be a bit more patient with them if we had 2 or 3 more in our squad who are ready now.

• 109 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I guess a way forward is starting to admit we have a problem agreeing on what it is :-)

…and then basically try a come up with a solution for it. We we cannot really agree on the basic of thing then it is not easy moving forward.

• 110 toonLYF // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM

can’t wait till Cisse finds his feet again. Quit benching him, give him all the minutes he needs, he deserves faith in him after what he brought us last season. My favourite character at Newcastle, is Papiss

• 111 dead man walkin // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Teq,

I will check that out when I’m near a computer,
    I’m not disputing the actual minutes on the pitch, but the amout of times used as a sub

Also didn’t see the first half so I can not comment on Ferg yesterday

But would love to know why he made a defensive sub before marv

And that defensive sub , why switch a LB for A RB, that made no sense an cost us the second goal

• 112 tequilamag // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Jesper, you will never get the blog to agree on the problem mich less the solution. And even if we could, as the decisions are made by the management rather than this blog it`s not going to make the slightest bit of difference.

• 113 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Teq

Are you sure that stat is correct

• 114 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Tequila

Your right, we are all the best managers in the world, not agreeing on everything
    But
    If enough are thinking something , you better believe lambass is thinking it too
    8 years is way to long for a guy that guided the club to fifth and had not a good cup run,
    Lambass will be thinking I have to stick with this or look totally stupid

I said it earlier, I see this is going exactly the same way jFK took us, lets hopebwebdont go down again

• 115 mattyNUFC // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:01 PM

god, fake ruddy is so much better than real ruddy

good thing about the real ruddy though is that it’s only a matter of time before he leaves the blog in protest over being made fun of or something or other

keep up the great work, fake ruddy!

• 116 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM

No matter how bad we play I think the manager and players have enough about then and know how to win ugly to avoid relegation.

Not being complacent as I know they have to work harder but I don’t thin relegation is on this year at all.

• 117 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Matty

Haha,

• 118 bills-son // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Munster, re paying another million or two, all I’ve done today is repeat what I’ve said before – that I agree in principle with setting a buying price and sticking to it, but that it is frustrating when we end up without a player we need. We’ve been hammered with injuries plus Tiote and Colo’s suspension and the squad isn’t big enough to take it. I don’t see not spending as a gamble that hasn’t come off but a strategy that hasn’t come off ie., in my mind there is a difference. However, the outcome is the same, we’ve been caught short of players and its cost us points and I’m as pi%%ed off about it as any fan.

• 119 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:06 PM

TS

I would not rule it out until we reach 40 points

We struggle to score, and concede a lot of goals

Confidence is low, 3 away games next,

• 120 mattyNUFC // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:06 PM

toonlyf

agree about cisse…..what other player have you seen injured or suspended who’s sat on the bench the entire game? seems like such a good guy and, not just for my sake i too want him to start scoring again

i think if anything this season has proved he doesn’t work well in a 442. I love Ba, don’t get me wrong. Most potent striker in almost a decade, but he did more for us wide-left last season than he’s doing now…..his record is great but right now we’re playing like anything but a professional sports team. 433 is our formation. It just blows my mind that we bought Anita and we’re not playing that system. why waste the money. play a three man midfield of anita, tiote and cabaye and we’re on our way i feel

• 121 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Bills son

You where at the match yesterday , what is the mood of the fans around you?

• 122 mattyNUFC // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:11 PM

bills

the biggest issue with me regarding the summer window dates back to February 1st 2012. Since that time up until May we heard “we’ll get the players we need”

Now, obviously that didn’t happen, but the biggest thing that irks me is Pardew and Carr both on the record said that there isn’t just one or two targets but nearer five or six targets in each position that are not considered ‘back-ups’ by any means but they were just the next one down the list, just as capable and competent as the one on the top of the list.

what the hell happened to all these back-ups?

• 123 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Matty

Because Pardew has no say what so ever in transfers,

They have said they have set a price they are willing to pay for the players on the list,

They go in and insult other teams with shit bids

And what gets me is debuchy went on strike to force a move, there is a player that want to join us

7,5 for Anita, fair enough, 4 for debuchy was a joke, one of France’s best players

• 124 toonLYF // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:16 PM

mattyNUFC…I agree about the Anita//433 thing. I was thinking about this alot at the start of the season, and i said i expected Pardew to stick with the rigid and “solid” 442 until all of our players are up to pace, before switching to 433. Alas, we’ve seen no signs of this happening in the PL. Look at the football we were playing in the first half against Bordeaux. I believe that is the only time this season we’ve played Tiote//Cabaye//Anita in the -3- midfield.

We need some consistency. 442 worked last season due to our first 11 not changing for the first 10-14 games. Our squad has been all over the place this season, yet Pardew remains exaggeratedly cautious.

I wish i knew the reason why he has yet to try a different formation for a run of games.

I know it’s not as simple as to switch up formations in order to improve our football, but by god does it help encourage the players to keep the ball on the fcking deck and keep the bloody thing moving; instead of hesitating on the ball for 5-7 seconds before playing a slow and unimaginative pass!

• 125 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I don’t mind pulling out of a deal as we don’t find it value.

What I don’t like is we seem to have few options. So if our first choice is too expensive that’s it, we get nobody.

We should have more scouts out and about to make sure if debuchy is too expensive we find a top player somewhere else who can do an equally or as close to the same job.

• 126 Graeme // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Jesper / Tequila Mag –

Until Pardew and/or the Board accept there is a problem, then there is no problem – other than the fans being disgruntled and since when did that ever matter??

• 127 mattyNUFC // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM

catchy

in all honesty i think Debuchy is overrated, imo

would rather we spent 6mil on someone younger with more promise. Debuchy could have a few good years left in him, but he’s close to 28 now i think. I don’t think I’m fully convinced by the policy of bringing in only 26 year olds and younger as there are PLENTY of players who could do a job for us who are well into their 30s, but I didn’t agree with spending that much on Debuchy, personally

and all this nonsense about Graham Carr being the be all end all, i’ve never bought it. Romain will never become a consistent first teamer in my opinion, Niel Taylor is a rubbish defender who can’t go forward. We’ve already got that in Simmo. Douglas the few times I’ve seen him has yet to convince me. Anita i think is a very gifted player but why didn’t GC tell Pards that ‘hey, he’s pretty worthless on the flank, so he needs to be the tip of a diamond or back in a three man midfield’? I don’t think Debuchy will be what we all know we need: that Kyle Walker, Gael Clichy type who gets in on the attack consistently. He’s poor at defending and I don’t really think that’s up for debate. We went in for Luuk de Jong who is having an awful time in Germany (arguably the most similar league to the EPL) and last but not least, imagine if we HAD signed Modibo Maiga. What a crap player he is

• 128 ronjohno // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Obertan injured!!!
    That is it then – what will we do now

• 129 mattyNUFC // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:22 PM

toonlyf

you’re damn right that’s the only time we played that formation. It was brilliant for the 35 minutes before AP changed it

• 130 toonLYF // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:24 PM

exactly matty – there’s obviously some sort of problem he has with it, i just wish he’d let us know as it’s turning into a greater mystery than what is under a Jews hat!

• 131 Graeme // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Catchy @ 121 – where I was, the leazes end of the Platinum Club, everyone was similar opinion.

We huffed and we puffed and we charged forward like a Roman Legion, but we actually caused them little problem whatsoever. In the 1st half, their keeper had to make one save, from HBA, which was in fact going wide of his far post.

Unless HBA was on the ball and they put 2 or 3 men on him, we created no space. When HBA did have the ball, pulled defenders out of position, nobody moved. There was nobody moving into space for a 1-2, to receive the ball forwards or sideways – it wasn’t very effective at all as there really was no threat.

• 132 mattyNUFC // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM

oh, and the biggest flaw i found with GC is when AP told him he wanted adam lallana and GC told him no way, not a chance in hell. He’d never make the grade at PL level.

who honestly wouldn’t love to have adam lallana in our team? a starter or a back CM, either way…..

• 133 solano // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Why is everyone complaining? Even BS has (slightly) criticised the regime. Never thought I’d see the day.
    As he likes to preface his comments these days with “As I’ve been saying for a longtime now…” blah blah blah…in order to boost his self esteem and engender some kudos – I’d just like to remind everyone, that this same bloke thinks 1)this is the best the club has ever been run 2)Obertan gets criticism because he’s not good looking
    Oh….and he never sticks by his pledges of forfeiture when proven wrong.

• 134 mattyNUFC // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM

and toon lyf

the crazy thing about his hesitancy to play a 433 is that it is equally defensive as it is offensive. two holding midfielders to protect your backline (especially when you have a LB who likes to get forward) and you let your mercurial attackers do the rest. Some of the passing going on between colo, anita, santon and cabaye in that first half against bordeaux was some of the best i’ve seen since early sir bobby days

• 135 toonLYF // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:41 PM

it’s an annoying one like!

a standard straight 433 can easily turn into

Simpson—-Taylor—-Coloccini—-Santon
    ^ ^
    ————–Tiote———Anita————-

——————–Cabaye——————-
    Ben Arfa———————————-Ba
    ———————Cisse——————–

arguably more defensive than a 442, and more effective than doubling up wingers due to the counter attacking prospects. All you have to do is watch WBA away last season. Ben Arfa’s goal, we went from camping in our own half waiting for possession, to a fantastic team goal, in about 20 seconds. These days it takes us that long just to take a bloody throw in!

• 136 Ketsbaia9 // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Not bad. Abeid can’t play on the wing. He can either play as a playmaker or a holding midfielder. His natural position is a playmaker. This midfield would be good:

Anita Tiote

Ben Arfa Abeid Marveaux

Players like Obertan, Gutierrez and Bigi shouldn’t be in the team at the moment. We need more creativity.

• 137 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Kets

Wrong on abeid. He can play on the wing. He did a lot in France. Ideally better in the middle but if we have him, benny and marvoux drifting around from left, central to right it would be so good.

Nobody would know where they were and they could cause a lot of problems

• 138 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Ben arfa has to be a number ten for me.

He is so much better there, running at players and slipping balls through.

Not that he can’t play wide, just rather have him off the front man.

• 139 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Tequila…probably not :-)

…the exercise would be good though! No the top need to agree there is a problem and what it is before you can find a solution.

Never the less I do find it funny how far from each other we can we in here even though we are watching the same game.

I as just an observation mate :-)

• 140 Transfer Sage // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Jesper

You raise a good point.

I think it’s because there is not one way to play football. Different formations, styles, players, mentality.

There are so many variables and all have their merits.

Also as fans we want to be entertained and win. A manager would take a 1-0 boring match every week if it won him the league.

Even man utd last year were negative after the 6-1 off city. They went defensive and won the next 5 games 1-0.

• 141 Cool Hand Luke // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:50 PM

The main debate seems to be 4-3-3- vs 4-4-2, and while I do agree that this is a major issue i think its only part of the problem. Think back to the 6 game winning streak last year, almost all the goals came from fast counter attacks. We were picking pockets of teams in the same manner that Swansea lured us into their trap yesterday. For me thats ther real key, Man utd have been doing it for years! soaking up pressure, drawing teams in then BAM!

Demoralising teams after all their efforts by hitting them on the break and going 1-0 up so then they have to push on even more to get an equaliser and are left even more open at the back.

Pardew seems to want to play an open passing game and is obsessed with controlling games with his 2 banks of 4 well we pretty much dominated the 1st 60 mins yesterday and still didnt win.

• 142 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Graeme…I guess that is a way to look at it as well :-D mind you not healthy I would think.

…but that actually explain a lot I think. Maybe that is how they precive it all :-)

As I told Tequila it was merely an observation (I don’t have the answers)

• 143 Cool Hand Luke // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Transfer Sage, Im with you 100% on Benny.

Why waste your most creative player on the left wing on his wrong foot??? he literally scares the crap out of defenses when he runs right at them! You can see it in all the games, he hugs the left touchline like he is told to until the last 20 mins when things arent going our way, he’s like stuff it and creates havoc by playing a free role.

• 144 jayphoto // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Im very pro pardew, but I gotta agree with Matty! GC’s a scouting gets a lot more credit than its due! We were and recommended Tiote my Steve Mclaren, Cabaye had been the best central midfielder in Frances champion team for a couple seasons, the world and his dog knew about HBA’s talent from Lyon days and papiss had one of the top goal records in Germany! Doesn’t take a genius to unearth these players! Il be more impressed if amalfitano or abeid or good come good but as yet they haven’t!
    Infact if you look at it, the players threatening to make the first team – Tavernier, Ferguson, Sammy, vuckic, Campbell all came through the youth set up, maybe we should be praising Beardsley or donachie who were responsible for them??

• 145 bills-son // Nov 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Ahhh… Solano has crept out from under the stone! What a surprise, it only took two defeats.

Solano, unlike you I’ve judged Ashley on his actions and results not pre-judged him from a blind hatred. He was in charge when we got relegated but also in charge when we got promoted at the first attempt. Since then he has stabilised the club financially, appointed a manager who last season finished 5th, won two MOTS awards and got us into Europe. He hasn’t cashed in on one top player with the exception of the daft £35M for AC – the one downside is not signing another couple of players this summer. If Ashley doesn”t dig deeper in Jan and the summer I’ll reasess my opinion. Unlike you I’m not a pig headed bigot.

• 146 Munster Mag // Nov 18, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Well Billson at least you are being somewhat fair, unlike some of the happier clappies out there. I think you were wide of the mark in the summer though when I felt Pardew should be awarded with more players after getting 5th. Plenty of teams are better than us now though and i think he may be a bit lost. I’ve also wondered who decides what players we need. It is dome by whomever offers the best value at the time ( Cisse discount) , or Bigi. Does Pardew decide the players we need, or do the scounts spot the best young talent and we go from there. Cos there’s no doubt that we are fast off the mark for young talent. As I have said before though, the talent of those we are buying has to be questioned though, and the blind faith has to stop and replaced with a more rational approach.

• 147 solano // Nov 18, 2012 at 3:51 PM

BS @ 145…are you sure about that?

previous post: Do Newcastle Want To Become A Top Club Or Not?

next post: The Europa League Is Newcastle’s “Problem” This Season