The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Papiss Cisse May Never Play For Senegal Again

9:38 am, Sunday, November 18th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 40 Comments

In what must be one of the stupidest decisions ever made by a football body,  the Senegal Football Federation invoked the five day rule to prevent Papiss Cisse from playing for Newcastle yesterday – after they played a friendly game in Niamey, Niger in midweek, and at least six  Senegal players, including Cisse,  pulled out of that friendly game.

Papiss Cisse – may stop playing for Senegal

And it’s hardly surprising the Senegal captain is now considering his International future, after what amounted to a slap in the face for both Newcastle United and Cisse.

The 27-year-old was made unavailable to manager Alan Pardew only 80 minutes before the game was due to start against Swansea yesterday, after Newcastle had been assured by FIFA for a couple of days that Cisse could likely play.

But the Senegal Football Federation, supported by FIFA, invoked the five-day rule, after Papiss failed to report for the friendly international in Niger, because of a back injury.

If you have a back injury then sitting on a plane for hours is the very last thing you should be doing.

Newcastle are annoyed at the decision to say the least, and they will now take this up legally with FIFA and the Senegal FF, and Papiss Cisse was disappointed at being prevented from playing by his country, as he had this to say:

“I am deeply disappointed by the actions of my Federation which have punished me and my club.” “I love playing for my country and would only withdraw from a squad – for either a friendly or competitive game – for a genuine reason.”

“I am fully supportive of the position my club has adopted in this matter and am sorry that the Federation seem to doubt my honesty and integrity.” “I will now consider if I wish to continue to captain my country.”

That last sentence will probably lead to Papiss withdrawing from playing for his country, but he needs to think about it a bit, before making a final decision.

But a number of players these days consider their International futures as they get older, and with Senegal not qualifying for the African Cup of Nations, now may be a good time to make the decision.

And remember the Senegal fans rioted after 75 minutes in Dakar during the play-off game with the Ivory Coast,  and they were losing the game 2-0 and were 6-2 down in the two legged tie, and the game was never restarted.

It will be good for Newcastle if Cisse does withdraw from playing on the International scene, because we’ll not lose him to International games, that have all that travelling involved, and it will not allow the Senegal FF to pull the same trick – ever again.

Papiss has played 22 times for Senegal with 11 goals.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Injuries · International News · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse

40 responses so far ↓

• 1 NUFCWill1986 // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Good on him, do they pay his wages week in week out? What a joke the federation is.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Finding out he got extra gurkhins instead of extra fries in his big mac meal is too good for Ashley.

• 3 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Les Grossman

why dont you say what you think,,

if i was like you, id believe it would never rain again
    id still believe in the tooth fairy
    id still believe in santa

unfortunily the world is not fair, the guy has had llong enough to impose his style on the players we have and for me this is 2 years of wasted time

BRING IN OLE GUNNER SOLKSJÆR

• 4 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:46 AM

It’s all a bit silly really. I can understand international teams want their best players to attend games and that at times it may be difficult to believe that a player is being genuine, but if that’s how you feel, drop the player, as that would be the complete opposite of the type of player that should be representing his country.

Not saying that’s what Papiss has done, but if Senegal thought that.

Anyway, Cisse has my support either way. Can understand if he wanted to keep playing for his country, but if not, I wont complain either. He can stay home and try work on a Geordie accent or scoring goals again…thinking about it, the latter sounds a more productive use of his time.

• 5 eaststandgeordie1982 // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:46 AM

We let them go to play in the acon with no fuss in the middle of our season.

• 6 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM

manxpie // Nov 17, 2012 at 7:43 PM

catchy you ask 5 games well stoke,west brom, chelsea n man u n liverpool now you tell me 10 games where we played great in the 5 to 8 years before pardew?

sorry to go back on threads,, but maxpie,, come on

liverpool was 3-1, but do you put that down to pardew,, id say that was a CH win, he traind the team all week got fired, so i dont thin pardew had much influence on that game,

chelsea last season, are we talking about 2-1 with 2 cisse wonder goals, in that game like many more we where out played and where hanging on for dear life, cisse scored well into injury time against the run of play,

man u, hey any win against man u is a great win, but face the facts, it was a long ball game, the tactic worked a treat, but there was no real football involved,

il give yopu west brom and stoke, the stoke game , even obertan managed to put in a nice cross for ba

so if in 2 years this is the best you can do in trying to prove we can play good football, it is quite sad

for me, as i have said this has been coming since he joined the club, and will only get worse

do we need to be relegated , just to prove he is poor,,

right now this all reminds me of JFK, other than charls insomnia, every one said he was good to work with, but as fans we could all see it wasnt right,,

right now im thinking very sorry for SAM AL, he got fired and hated by most fans for his aproach to football, yet so many of you want to embrace worse football from a guy that (IMO) has no clue what he is doing, and yes i think even some of you could do a better job

as fans we want to see good football and expect not to win every game, but as fans we look at other teams and say id be happy with a point from this game, some games you just hope its not gona be a wholiping, when man u or chelsea have been on form, but in general most other teams you think you can take points of them

under pardew, i have never felt like we will thrash a team,, and this is sad, we all love to think hey we looked good,,, but we never have under his guidence

• 7 Tsunki // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Hang on , HANG ON……..

….there’s NO tooth fairy?

• 8 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:48 AM

ON THE CISSE THING YESTERDAY

DO YOU THINK A BIT OF IT WAS PAY BACK FOR PULLING HIM OUT OF THE OLYPICS ?

• 9 Tsunki // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:49 AM

…sorry for Fat Sam? I am not hearing this…

• 10 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Tsunki

i feel like iv said a bad thing

im sorry :(

• 11 Super Magpie // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:49 AM

No excuses for yesterday. Pardew changed to 4-4-2 in the 2nd half and after a good 10 minute spell Swansea settled and started to dominate. After a couple of missed chances for them, they scored from a mistake from us. The second goal, we were simply picked off, and guess what? I knew it was going to happen.
    Swansea were causing us trouble on the break for the full game and were eventually going to score. We had to get first goal IMO, so they wouldn’t sit back. Obviously we didn’t. I don’t agree with the fact we created chances. A lot of our chances came from shots outside the box.
    There was only Ba’s header, 1 v 1 (which was offside) and when Shola literally rocketed the ball into Ba when he was 6 yards out.

Anyway, the first half I was happy with. The performance was good but Swansea looked dangerous on the break. We had to score. In the second half it was back to hoofball. Simpson,Williamson and Santon were appauling yesterday. Santon has been consistent this season and will only improve. Simpson and Williamson are simply not good enough. I blame Pardew for some dodgy tactics at HT but more of the blame goes to Ashley and Llambias because Pardew has to work with such a small squad atm. January is a big window for us. It will show truly once and for all if they really want us to go forward and consistently push for a top 6 position. I can’t see our best players wanting to stick around either at this rate.

I’ll probably get slated for being ‘negative’ after that. But it’s hard to find positives from this season. And after 2 consecutive home defeats, people are starring to turn. We haven’t played well for a full 90 minutes this season. Something needs to be done to change this,

• 12 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Catchy –

NOBODY WANTS OLE GUNNER SOLKSJÆR

Christs sake go support Molde will you!! You certainly don’t support nufc.

• 13 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Tsunki

i dont really, but its hard to see why one should get more time for doing the same as another and he was fired and hated for it

• 14 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Bit of a jump that Ed? Considering his captaincy to quiting international football!!!
    A stupid f cking rule none the less dont see fergie or wenger getting panned and they pull players near on every friendly ffs!

• 15 Tsunki // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Its OK Catchy, I am all right, its not as bad as last week when I was told Alan Shearer had retired. :(

• 16 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Catchy….Would Ole come to us at the minute? Not sure why, but I get the feeling he’s building a career and wont jump in to anything he isn’t ready for yet. This is all assumptions, but I get the feeling if he comes to the PL, he’ll want to come with more credentials and take one of the big big boys, say Man U? Might be wrong and incidentally, he does look a great prospect as a manager.

Now. What is this you’re saying about the tooth fairy? You need to stop bringing negativity in to all areas of my life. No Santa? Are you really just the Grinch killing time during the off season, waiting for December to roll around? :)

• 17 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Conaldo (The Wizard…Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner)

shut the f up

go and shuv your tongue a little further up pardew ass why dont ya

• 18 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Catchy – YES IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN PAYBACK FOR THE OLYMPICS.

And don’t get me started on santa

• 19 Tsunki // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Now boys, boys, please!

• 20 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Ibizatoon

ibiza

he jumped on a plane to talk to villa,, so why not?

i dont think he will get the MAN U job without trying his luck in a bigger league,

we are a well supported team, playing in a big league,,

i think its worth a shout

• 21 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Catchy- because I support my team and the manager means I have my tongue up his ass?

Grow up.

• 22 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM

im sorry conoldo

i should not have said that

• 23 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:55 AM

ok you support the team and the manager,,

did you support
    JFK ?

• 24 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I’m not saying ole wouldn’t be worth a shout in a few years once he has more experience, but to bring in a manager with so little experience is only asking for trouble. He needs to work his way up. He could do with movin to a championship club. Someone like Blackpool.

• 25 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Catchy…..Very true. I remembered him being approached, but thought he had refused straight away. I think you may be right and he came over to meet with them. Well, I don’t know much about him, but have no idea if he would want to work within the Ashly setup, not a lot of managers would.

P.S. It tastes like strawberries, in case you were wondering.

• 26 nimo // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:58 AM

catchy you do talk crap .. if you was a man u fan you would Be calling for fergies head after loosing t norwich..i know people are entitled to there opinion but because you do better on champ manager you seem to think there’s someone better out for the job.. What the club needs is stability, yeah we been poor this year n a fair few games last year.. but people seem to rate o Neil n look What he’s doing withmoney he’s spent

• 27 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I’d support JFK to the bitter end. Mind you, that’s for comedic reasons, not footballing.

• 28 catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Conaldo (The Wizard…Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner)
    i could say the same about pardew

i have seen nothing from him to suggest he is a premiership manager,

he had west ham for like 1 season, then got them relegated,,

• 29 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 18, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I support whoever is in charge. They are in charge and that’s that. Although There have been a few I have been happy to see the back of, but I am a firm believer that stability brings success. Well, money does, but stability second. Would Man U be where they are now if they changed manager every two years?

• 30 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 18, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Catchy
    He did jump on a plane but didnt he then have to kiss some major molde ass to keep his job?
    Not sure he’d be so eager a second time and really dont think pards is going anywhere at all

• 31 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Also, feel I need to say, just because I support a manager doesn’t mean I like him.

• 32 Ian Toon // Nov 18, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Super Magpie- are you sure you didn’t just see the highlights!!!!
    Your comments on the game are contradictory. It seems we were the better side until they scored. They can be praised for not defending their lead which we have been guilty of this season. Your wrong on Ba because since my original comment last night I’ve watched highlights and Sky version. We had enough clear cut chances to win more than yesterdays game. It was not i repeat not a WHU type game where we ran out of ideas and just didn’t look like scoring. Please read my earlier posts and if you disagree with me I’ll be happy to engage with you.

• 33 toonarmydownsouth // Nov 18, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Catchy
    Of course we all supported joe he was a legend how managers have an airport named after them, if you ever go to NY i highly recomended visiting the joe fcuking kinear airport

• 34 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 18, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Good morning Ian. When did you make this earlier posting? As usual, I would be interested to read your thoughts on the game.

• 35 Ian Toon // Nov 18, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Ibiza- Surprised your up. Avery good morning to you. Just fighting off the desire to go and get some sleep rather than a coffeee. As you once said to me flattery will get you everywhere. I guess around 7.30 ish last night and about an hour ago ish. Just watching the cricket and trying to get it together. You know that feeling!!!!
    Take it easy oh wise one. Loved your post to rotunda or is that one of your apartments!

• 36 GeordieDan // Nov 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Ian Toon>

I was at the game yesterday and we were the better team until they scored.

We had LOADS of half chances and looked decent in patches but you could tell our confidence was low with our final passes/balls-in were just not coming off.

When they scored it completely flattened us for a good 20 minutes and we started making mistakes left, right and centre.

Swansea started playing some slick football after that and it wasn’t until the final 5-10 minutes that we tried to rally again.

It was a 100% improvement over the effort(or non-effort) against Westham but we’ll need to improve more by next week to beat Southampton because we rarely do well in games on the South Coast and Southampton looked good against a shocking QPR yesterday.

If we can just start scoring again we’ll be flying I’m sure soon enough.

• 37 Sav // Nov 18, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Its a joke. After the disgraceful scenes at the last Senegal match, with 22 players at risk and a riot on the terraces, I’d have thought FIFA should be censuring the national federation. But I suppose its all down to Blatter’s voting partners..

• 38 karasu // Nov 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM

The African international scene as a whole is pretty unstable. Riots in a Senegal game is actually the least of concern. The Togo team once got assaulted by gunfire and some of the staff actually died. Adebayor quit the team for a while until recently.

• 39 davis_toons // Nov 18, 2012 at 6:23 PM

catchy in norway // Nov 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM

There is some point to support you. On the Team playing style.

1. When we look at Kurl mistake again..just look at the team midfield. We are playing very high line. There was not any midfield player at sight.

Michu was far at the back of the field before running all the way forward.

Meaning – Krul will just hoop a very ball forward.

• 40 davis_toons // Nov 18, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Fulham, Arsenal, Swansea, Spurs will not play such high line. With passing football, i guess,

Thou whatever the style, a win is a win, but the question is will we be going far or forward with this kind of football on the field?

Still thinks that Matin JOL got better football style..But he might still not be suitable as he needs to learn to play the English game. A mixes of long ball, time wasting tactics, dead-ball, and all those style you can expect from Newcastle, Bolton, and Stoke to kill game off or slow a game down.

So guys give AP some time to learn, adapt and improve as well and with good assistance along side it will be fine.

Guess what CH nowadays have got an assistance on the stand to watch the team play. (to help him look out for on the shape of the team and whoever is not playing well and etc.)

previous post: We Created Numerous Chances Yesterday – Pardew

next post: Do Newcastle Want To Become A Top Club Or Not?