Things May Get Worse Before They Get Better At Newcastle

Alan Pardew has had even more bad luck following our two home defeats in a row, and Yohan Cabaye seems to be ruled out for a couple of months at least with his groin injury, and the decision about whether he should have surgery has still to be made.

Yohan Cabaye – could be out for two months – drat!

And when Yohan Cabaye does finally come back, it will coincide with our other top central midfielder Cheick Tiote, going off to the African Cup of Nations for the second year running.

The 51 year-old Newcastle manager, who is under considerable pressure with his squad having been decimated lately,  had this to say about the situation on Tyneside:

“It could be we run all the way to the end of January before I have my first team to pick from.” “When Cabaye comes back, Cheick will be gone. It is tough for us at the minute.”

“Cabaye might possibly have to have a little surgery on that groin. You have seasons when you lose players and you have to be able to cope with it.” “If I had everybody available then losing Cabaye would not be such a blow.”

“At the minute we cannot afford to lose anybody.” “We have been unlucky this year.” “We have lost Ryan Taylor and Haris Vuckic for more or less the season. One is bad and to lose two is tough to take and we have had suspensions.”

“I can only think of one occasion when I have had everyone to pick and that was at Sunderland when I had all my senior players. I know that is what we need to do. We need our best players back.”

“We are stretched this week and we have two big games and really that squad is only going to be added to by Jonas Gutierrez.”

The good news is that Papiss Cisse and Jonas Gutierrez are now both available, and it could be that things may even get a little worse before they get better on Tyneside.

But there’s no doubt that a win at Southampton on Sunday would lift the spirits of Newcastle fans everywhere, and that would be a huge win for the club, given where we stand at the moment.

And there’s no reason why that cannot happen on Sunday, given the lads get the full support of the fans, although we are a bit concerned about the negative criticism of Alan Pardew since Sunday.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Being used as an Aunt Sally at a village fate is too good for Ashley.

• nufc786

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:51 PM

time for abeid to step up

• GeordieTwo

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM

What Pardew is really saying here is that the squad has no real depth in quality and Llambias is a hopeless moron.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM

JFA
    Nice but not as good as your hit sauce one the other day!

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:55 PM

*hot

• Munster Mag

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Ed, I’m not sure why you should be concerned or surprised re the criticism. I’m staying loyal to pardew for now but the more I rationalise, the more concerned I’m getting! The 4-4-2 ( and then saying it was 4-3-3 when many say that wasnt the case) , the poor first halves, the football worse than West Ham, not trying Santon more at right full back, the crap corners, the daft excuses ( eg Cisse, and Swansea’s experience ) the fact that most players seem to be getting worse under his coaching. Still we got 5th last year ( with a healthy dose of luck etc ) and he hasnt been supported by the owner this year so trying to be patient.

• mindshaft

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Can’t see us getting anything at Southampton, they’ve played decent football and are very quick on the counter attack – something we have huge trouble with

• Super Magpie

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:59 PM

This only makes matters worse and shows that we crying out for another CM. Sissoko should be a priority in January. Along with Debuchy and Douglas.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Munster…Surprised, not really. Concerned, absolutely. That isn’t a reflection on whether it’s reasonable or not, but the fact it’s there is concerning for everyone.

With regards to Pardews statements to the press. Some of them are bizarre, no getting away from that, however, I think the absolute honesty some fans want from him is completely unrealistic.

He has the players he has for now. Coming out and saying that we desperately need new players in will do the following:

1) Deflate the current players.
    2) Alarm all other clubs for our need, thus driving up prices.

Sometimes, you need some BS to get through certains periods of time, it’s not nice or ethical when you examine it, but really, he has to do what is best for all aspects of the club. Not saying he definitely is, but some understanding wouldn’t go amiss from a fair few (not directly including you in that list).

• Constanstine

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Hope to see Anita break through during this period. He’s been worth 500k so far.

• Toon GI Jordan

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:06 PM

All Newcastle fans were saying all summer that we need to buy more players because we’ll be f**ked if we pick up a couple of injuries/suspensions, but no, we need the 11 ‘Purple’ players and a few fringe players. It’s a stupid policy that won’t work, every club needs depth in their squad and it’s even worse when your squad gets tested when you’re in the Europa league. We’ve now got to hold out until January and hope we pick up points.

• Graeme

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Ibiza, I would be very surprised if the players were not fully aware of our weaknesses and that plans are afoot to bring in new players to improve the squad.

We will still need cover for our new recruits, so those currently employed are unlikely to be given a P45 – no matter that we would gladly sign one for a few we have!!

• GeordieTwo

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Although he hasn’t been at his best this season Cabaye is a huge loss for us. It will reveal the weakness we now have in midfield. Bigi is not yet ready for the Prem as a starter, we continue to see nothing of Abeid, Gosling hasn’t improved because he is repeatedly injured, Vuckic is out for the season, Jonas has become a defensive midfielder at best, leaving Tiote to do everything (if he can avoid injuries and suspensions). We have been badly exposed by a few injuries and suspensions. Not good enough. This season will be a hard rap on the knuckles for Ashley and Llambias (hopefully). We will be hard pressed to stay mid-table which won’t please the owner at all but is a huge reality check. Open your eyes Ashley.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Can I pose another idea on the whole luck theory?

Not sure why I’m asking, I’m going to write it anyway. Now, before I start, just thought about this, so not sure to what extent I agree. But hey, should beat discussing a footballer who is likely to be leaving and his sex life and whether or not we’re doomed.

Is belief not a huge factor in how we do? Some people call it luck, whereas some will say you make your own luck. From belief and togetherness you get synergy, after that “luck” may seemingly be on your side.

Which reverts me back to my earlier ramblings. What can we do now or what should we be doing now as fans?

Please don’t think I’m preaching, you will all do what you want or can, just a thought.

If we accept that we must wait until January to do anything about anything, shouldn’t we be getting behind the team more than ever? Install some confidence and belief.

People say “me b*tch*ng on a blog wont effect the players, but I disagree 100%. Over the last week we have seen a major increase in reports of fans being unhappy, people leaving the stadium in droves, etc etc. Pardew is now out making excuses and trying to calm the fans. This will be getting round the club and it’s silly to think otherwise.

I do understand that blind faith runs out, I really do, but is this the time to be losing it? The only thing that could happen at this time is forcing Pardew out, which many have said they don’t want to happen. So all I’m saying is, for now, should we leave the recent whatever you want to call it and get back to where we were a little while ago?

Thought and abuse welcomed (more so the former 😉 )

• Graeme

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:18 PM

From South Wales today – What they think of Pardew’s claims as to why we lost lol

ALAN Pardew made the tenuous claim that Swansea City’s “experience” had been key after Newcastle United were humbled at St James’ Park this weekend.

Michael Laudrup fielded a team which included teenager Ben Davies, untried goalkeeper Gerhard Tremmel and full debutant Itay Shechter. Six members of Swansea’s starting XI were playing on Tyneside for the first time, while not one member of the visiting line-up could be described as a seasoned Premier League player.

Yet Pardew reckoned a lack of top-flight nous was central to Newcastle’s second successive home defeat.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Graeme…Fair point, they must be as clued (or un-clued) in as we are. Still, there is a difference between that and the manager weekly telling people the current players aren’t good enough 🙂

Let’s not kid ourselves, confidence plays a huge factor is sport and whilst criticism can be used to motivate, after a certain point it just becomes abusive and negative to ones psyche.

• Super Magpie

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Pardew has to be careful with his words because if upsets the wrong people then matters only get worse. He couldn’t come out and say it was Krul’s fault for the goal and say that Williamson is not good enough. Using injured/suspended players as an excuse buys him time because the fans who don’t go/watch the games ( which there are a lot of) will think that’s why and give him more time.

Obviously, the people who do can see straight through that. Blaming the absence of Cisse for Saturdays defeat was one of the most shocking things he has said IMO. His changing of tactics at HT is what should be blamed instead, he got it wrong and he should acknowledge that. I’m not saying that is fully to blame because it isn’t. But it certainly played a part.

Pardew is very clever at manipulating the fans and media so he can take the pressure off himself. He can’t come out and slate players because they then won’t want to play.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Pardew is trying to claim we played 4-3-3 against Swansea. It didn’t look that way to me. It had the smell of the never ending 4-4-2 with Sammy out on the wing for the most part. I think Pardew is getting a bit desperate now with all the difficult games in December coming up and a very weak and under-performing side. Mainly Llambias should take the blame for this although Pardew’s tactics have been disappointing to say the least. Of course all we needed for a successful season was our purple players and a few fill-ins which we already had according to Dekka. No wonder we didn’t spend anything and now we’re right where we deserve to be based on our play so far.

• barry_ben_arfa

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I don’t see the logic in breaking up a team well suited to playing 4-4-2 long ball and a team that were happy to play that way to buy in some amazing players from the continent who are suited to short passing and then continue to play long ball. I can’t imagine Cabaye is happy being bypassed in midfield and Cisse doesn’t even challenge for headers. Is it any wonder both are suffering a loss of form. The fact we haven’t scored from a corner in over a year shows we have a team that aren’t an ariel threat. Only Demba Ba gains anything from 4-4-2 long ball and sure enough he’s started scoring again. It’s either sell Ba or get rid of Ben Arfa, Cisse & Cabaye and bring in Carroll, Nolan & Barton

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Super…Good point. Pardew would do a lot better to accept some blame himself at times. Even a half hearted “well, my subs could have been used better” or something.

But yes, he does need to take pressure of the players and does so very well imo. He’s the head man though and should try accepting some fault, sometimes, even if he doesn’t believe it was down to him.

• Super Magpie

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:34 PM

GeordieTwo

We did in the first half, although it was more of a 4-4-1-1 for me, and we played well. In the second half Shola came on and we played 4-4-2. Swansea flooded the midfield and picked us off from there.

Ibiza
    Very true. I can sympathise with him because he’s now got a very limited group of players and has to try and keep morale high. But he can’t make the same excuses every week and hide away from the fact some of it is his fault. If he came out after a defeat and took some of the blame for it then he would go up in my estimation because he would’ve acknowledged his mistakes and thus learned from it.

If I was him I’d be screaming at Llambias for recruitments because he takes more of the blame for me by failing to get the players we desperately needed in during the summer. January is a big window for us, it will show if Ashley/Llambias have the ambition to see us competing in the top 6.

I posted yesterday who I think we should get, I’ll repost it in a minute. Just a warning,It might sound a little Kets like though. 😀
    It seems the Ketsitus I’ve been diagnosed with is getting worse.

• Super Magpie

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:39 PM

January Window-
    INS-
    Sissoko £2/3m
    Debuchy £5/6m
    Douglas £3/4m

OUTS-
    Simpson £1m-£2m (Since contract is running out)

£8m-£12m net spend?Is that really too much to ask?
    I know it sounds like Kets but I think it’s a bit more realistic.
    We can get these players if we really want to.
    Hopefully we can keep players too.

• tequilamag

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM

It was from last season bit it shows Pardew can take the blame at times.

• stuart no9

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM

the sole person responsible for the rubbish being served up lately is AP – no one elses. hes in charge,or is it Ashlys. one or the other must – must take the blame.

• Super Magpie

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Tequilamag

He could afford to last season because we were doing well; Not that he did that often anyway.
    It’s when we are not he finds any other excuse. At the time of that game we were in 5th place. We are 12th now.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Super Magpie I couldn’t agree more and yes the first half looked like 4-4-1-1 to me as well. The culprit in all this is Llambias. He was so sure of himself in the summer with the purple theory and the idea that all our squad players including Willo were brilliant. How does that look now? Not so good but since we have a group of brilliant stand-ins we should be fine, in fact aren’t we challenging for a Champions league place this season? And how is that working out Derek?

• Sawbuck

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Non of us wanted to get shed of Hoots – now he’s pulling odd sweet victories. Who said he couldn’t have sealed a Euro spot?

Still Pard has had a bad hand.

• tequilamag

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Super magpie it was just an example. But if you can post me examples of other managers who consistently accept the blame when things go wrong I would love to see them. It`s just media BS to be taken with a grain of salt. It serves no purpose. Pardew rarely criticizes the players in public either because there is little to be gained by undermining the confidence of your players in public.

• Graeme

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Super Mag – MA was quoted some while ago saying he would be prepared to put in “Maybe £20 million a year” on players once the club was self sufficient.

Well, we are expected to make a profit this year, which pretty much confirms we have achieved self sufficiency and are living within our means.

Hopefully that will allow our Illustrious Owner to be a little magnanimous towards new recruits!! I guess February will determine the reality of the situation!!!

• Super Magpie

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Geordietwo

Spot on. Llambias is like a fountain of bullsh*t. It never ends.
    I blame him more than Pardew for our recent failings, his purple player theory is just laughable.

• Sawbuck

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM

It’s easy to predict what’ll happen in the window.

Suarez to Man City
    Cisse Liverpoll
    Carroll to Newcastle

and we end up jammed in 14th spot again.

• Super Magpie

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Graeme
    We will see, I’m not expecting much though.

Tequila
    Other managers don’t blame missing players every week either. If a manager came out after every defeat and said he got it wrong, then it would make him look bad. I’m not saying I want Pardew to come out and say he got it wrong after every bad result we have. It would just be nice if he came out and acknowledged his mistakes when appropriate.

• tequilamag

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Sawbuck if it`s that easy you have a 4 bet accumulator with odds that could set you up for life. I take it you will be down the bookies tomorrow because it is so easy to see what is going to happen.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Super….I’d say your ketsitus is on the mend….very reasonable wish list. The thing is, I imagine that is pretty much the shopping list. I personally believe they were trying to get those player, they even thought they had / would. If they come in January, I wont see it as them making up for being silly in the summer, but simply continuing with their plan.

All these, what I deem, smaller issues, are somewhat easier to deal with. The more concerning of late is the “i’ve never like Pardew, he can’t get a style being paid, never has, never will and must get out of the club” that’s going around and is sadly picking up momentum. There is no quick fix for that, just Pardew proving them wrong, which will take time.

I suppose one thing at a time, what will be will be. I’m going to go find myself a field of flowers to skip through.

La de la de dah 🙂

• Sawbuck

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I might .. I just might.

I already asked for odds on Maudrup next Man Utd boss.

Nobody got back to me yet. But I tell you they will be lower than I want.

• Sawbuck

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Laudrup. not Maudrup.

• Sawbuck

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Its the most likely scenario. Ashel and Llanbias would see that as a sweet deal.

• tequilamag

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Super Magpie all managers try to pass the buck, it goes with the job. SAF once blamed the colour of their away strip because it made it to hard to pick his players out. Wenger has selective blindness every time his players make a bad foul. Pardew is hardly alone in this one. And would it really make you feel happier if Pardew put on the hairshirt and said it`s all my fault? All he would be doing is giving ammunition to the bedsheet brigade.

• Ian Toon

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Ibiza- Delighted you managed to negotiate the increased deal from Ed.
    Even without the additional workload your worth every penny.
    Synergistically yours.

• Super Magpie

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Ibiza
    There will always be the people who feel that way, nothing can be done about that. If they feel like that, let them. Pardew won’t be leaving anytime soon ( I hope anyway). At the minute it is only a minority and hopefully it stays that way.

On January, I’m not as confident as you as to us bringing in those players. I’d love to be proved wrong however.

1 2 3 7