Concerns All Around At Newcastle

It seems that Alan Pardew is not alone in realizing that the squad he has this season, is simply not big enough to compete in Europe, and the Newcastle manager has said the owner and the Managing Director are well aware of the current situation at the club.

Alan Pardew – we are all concerned

We have to believe there have already been some conversations between Alan Pardew, Mike Ashley and Derek LLambias, and that there will be some transfer activity in January, but as the manager says – that’s still six weeks off, and we have 11 games to play through 2nd January, and there are lots of points to compete for in the league, and we have to see if we can climb into a much better position in the league come the new year.

This is what Alan said today about the situation, and that there is concern at the club:

“We are all concerned. It’s not like it’s just heaped on myself and ‘Get on with it’. The Managing Director and the owner are very conscious of where we are, and we are trying to make sure that we look at the period and events leading up to the next window, and we will react from there.”

“This isn’t about transfers yet. I have heard in the press and even our fans talking about transfers in, etc, etc. Really, we just need to knuckle down and get some results with the squad we have, because there’s actually nothing we can do until the window opens anyway.”

“I have been very fortunate to have a squad that has remained pretty fit and healthy since I have been here, and we have not really had much down time. We have had the odd result that didn’t really go our way, but have rebounded very, very quickly.”

We think that Mike Ashley wants to build up a good side on Tyneside, even though he’s not willing to pay out big fees for players, so we will have to hope that Graham Carr can continue to find some gems around the world the club can bring to Tyneside for a decent fee.

It remains to be seen if Newcastle can keep signing the stellar players we have managed to acquire over the last couple of years.

We may be alone in this – but we think Mike Ashley will help Alan bring in up to three players in January – if at all possible.

We hope Mike Ashley will help Alan bring in up to three players in January.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• nufc786

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:05 PM

we are all concerned…………

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I think we fell short of at least two planned buys in the summer. Whose fault that was at this point is not needed, I’m sure it was probably a combination of all the ideas thrown around at the time. That in mind, I do expect 2-3 players arrive in January, as I believe that will have been the plan come August 31st as 11pm. I just hope I’m not proved wrong….again. This blind faith bit can be testing from time to time 🙂

• Super Magpie

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:08 PM

So then, what’s everyone’s team for tomorrow?
    Here’s mine

Krul
    Simpson Williamson Colo Tavernier
    Anita Bigi
    Obertan Marveaux Sammy
    Cisse

Trying to save most of the squad for Sunday ( not thats it’s worked so far) but that team should be more than enough to see off maritimo.
    I’ll go 2-0 to us.

*Trust Ed to post a new thread as I post. 🙂

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Super…I think Jonas will get some game time, to ease him back in again. I’d like to see one of the following.

———-Krul———
    Simmo–Colo-Willo–Tav
    —Anita—Bigi—Guti—-
    —Obertan-Cisse-Marv/Sammy

or

———-Krul————
    Tav–Colo–Willo–Fergie
    ———Bigi–Guti———
    —Obertan-Marv-Sammy
    ————Cisse———-

More than anything, I want to see a win 🙂

• Blaydon-Toon

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Re-post from last thread ! So Ruddy your not a fan of Simpson then … ? Really think I would prefer Santon to switch to RB and get a decent lefty but not sure who we could get any suggestions ?

• solano

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Ed, I think you would be better advised to use the royal ‘one’ rather than the collective ‘we’.
    The latter part of your article sounds like a mantra that you are repeating to yourself in the vain hope that it will win the battle with the other part of your brain which deals with circumspection! 😉

• Graeme

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Blind faith – sometimes mate, its all we have left to cling to

• Super Magpie

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:13 PM

On transfers
    I posted this the other day

INS-
    Debuchy £5m-£6m
    Douglas £3m-£4m
    Sissoko £2m-£3m

OUTS-
    Simpson £1m-£2m ( since contract is expiring)

An £8m-£12m net spend is not too unrealistic is it?
    If we are to progress it is vital we get players in so it allows us to push on. Whether Ashley and Llambias decide to spend remains to be known.

• toonking

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:13 PM

teams for the two games this week
    __________elliot/hharper or krul
    ____tav_colo_willo_ferguson
    obatan___bigi___tiote___marvo
    ________cisse___xisco/ranger
    at HT switch tiote for anita and willo for saylor
    on sunday
    _________krul___
    simmo_willo_saylor_santon
    _____tiote___anita____
    sammy____HBA_____jonas
    __________ba___
    if he were to do something like this i can see us looking much more like the team of last season as
    jonas will be back as a winger rather than a CDM
    HBA can do what he does best and likes doing attacking running in at players
    sammy and jonas have the speed to run back and forth easier and can provide more space for HBA to dribble the ball.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Repost

Blaydon

It’s not that I am not a fan of Simpson, like I’ve said before I defend any player who pulls on the black and white and gives his best, and that is what I think we get from Simmo.

Do I feel we can get/need a better RB in order to push on as a football club? Yes I do. I think Santon has said that he prefers playing LB because that means he can cut in on his right, while playing LB he complains of being limited to the touchline, so I think he would be better being kept at LB.

So, given that I think we will pursue a RB I think we will either go back in for Debuchy, cut price of course, or scour the continent for a RB none of us have heard of…sorry my input isn’t that insightful haha

• Super Magpie

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Ibiza

Forgot Jonas was back for tomorrow; I thought he would be back for Southampton. I think he’ll come on in the 2nd half.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Super….Quite possible, whether he starts or is a sub, I bet he will get time on the field tomorrow. Personally I’d prefer if it wasn’t LW, but it’s where he’ll likely be.

Graeme….Indeed. I’ll need some serious help the day I’ve lost mine in NUFC.

• Blaydon-Toon

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Ruddy I replied on last thread ! Super magpie I think we would all be happy with that business and wy not push the boat out and get in a quality striker for 10million 4 new purples for 20 million happy days left the doom and gloom merchants eat their words – we can dream on I guess but that would be a great jan window! In all seriousness I think we will get in 2 new players …

• Graeme

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Ibiza – at that point, you jump on the bandwagon and support Manure, Shitty or Chelski – there is nothing else left.

Well, maybe the wooden overcoat, but only the good die young, so that’s me here for a while yet lol

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Blaydon

You’re right, Santon does lack that added little bit of guile going forward, but when he learns his trade he will add that to his game and we will see him as more of an attacking full back.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Repost
    Easy for anybody to say they”re happy with us playing shite and getting results when your in the comfort of your own home behind a computer screen when you”ve paid fifty quid plus beer it’s not that clever, and besides we’re playing shite and losing atm.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:26 PM

JfA

It is a matter of what you would prefer. Good results or good football. For me it’s results over performances every time. The frustration is that we seem to be seeing little in the way of either at the moment.

• Super Magpie

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Ibiza

I think if he does start, he’ll be deployed in CM. Pardew has played 4–3–3 in the Europa league this season and we have looked more fluid in our passing and general play than we have in the PL. It would be far too defensive to start Jonas LW, especially against the weakest side in the group at home.

However, it wouldn’t surprise me though…

• Blaydon-Toon

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:28 PM

JFA talking of beer I’m coming up for first game this season for the Wigan game … Will have my missus with me so where would be good place for some Pre match drinks ?

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Graeme….If it came to that point, I think I’d forget about football. Supporting Newcastle isn’t really a choice, it is just who we are….mugs 🙂

Jail…I have said that before, it is easy for me to sit here and say this and say that, but the reality is, financially or in game support, I don’t contribute to the club. Doesn’t mean my views are wrong though. As always, I want to hear the opinions of the fans who do attend games – but even those opinions are split, I don’t think that is the overwhelming factor here, but point understood.

• Super Magpie

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Blaydon

A striker would also be ideal but I can’t see us spending that much, that’s if we bring in the other players mentioned. Unless Shola/Ba/Cisse are injured long term or Ba is sold, a striker shouldn’t be our top priority.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Right lads, I’m off! Been a pleasure 😀

• catchy in norway

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Amazing this, he is at it again , he is talkin results and I’m talking about shit football,

It’s not the results, if we play shit and lose we deserve it, if we play well and where the better team more often than not we will win, that’s how it works for most other teams

Regardless o what personnel he uses, I’d like to see us play a bit of football and try and boss a game, he could play the kids for all I care right now, as long as he starts plying football

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Blaydon,
    There’s loads to choose from just maybe avoid the strippers,yates not far from Central station is always good for a cheap pint.

• Munster Mag

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I think its unfair, although profitable, pof Ashley to expect Carr to come up with gems from all over the place, In fairness we often overpraise this aspect of NUFC and I dont see the likes of Obertan, Amalfitano, Marveaux , Abeid ( sadly ) making any real impact so far. Maybe some realism in this area wouldnt go amiss. As I keep saying Mike, sometimes u gotta pay up, and I dont think our transfer window history has been all that enjoyable from memory, bar Cisse. Two good new signings would be brilliant so lets hope for best. 3 would be a real statement and I’ll be Mike’s newest Irish mate 🙂

• Super Magpie

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Ibiza
    When you say you want to hear the opinions of fans who attend the games – you’d be surprised at how bad some are. Worse than on here at times. 😀 (obviously not all fans, but some)
    There’s a few behind me who talk utter crap at times. Also, just a question?

You said your from the south and moved to Ibiza. Have you ever attended a game in your time supporting us? (Home or away)

• Munster Mag

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Supermag, I know its not directed at me, but i have travelled all over England with you fat noisy bastards ! HTL!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Munster Mag Mikes Mate……What about Santon, Cabaye and Tiote? It wont work everytime, but overall, I think the quality we have got in is impressive, especially when you consider the amount spent. But they can’t just live with that, they have to continue and I expect them to this January – but like many, wont be holding my breath.

Super….I have only ever attended one game, which was at West Ham. Great day, even though I was sat with the West Ham fans (yes, I was in my bright green Given goalie top). A John Barnes goal got us the 3 points and then I got to gloat in the ’66 club afterwards. Popular? No. In danger? Not really as an 11 year old 🙂

Sadly, have never made it to SJP, but it is on my list.

I imagine some of what you hear at games is worse than on here, but as paying fans, it is good to hear what they have to say…doesn’t mean I will agree 🙂

• Peter Beardsley

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:08 PM

People forget that Mike has given Newcastle utd a £100m interest free loan that has not even begun to be paid off yet as we are still making a minor loss. Interest free means that adjusted for inflation the amount of money that is owed back is getting smaller in value.

Mike has given our club a massive investment and has probably saved us from bankruptcy.

• AndyMac

Nov 21, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Peter Beardsley says:
    “I Think people forget that when it comes to Mike not investing in our club to the degree that the fans would like, is down to the way the club was run under past owners. People forget that Mike has given Newcastle utd a £100m interest free loan”

Suffice to say there was money to buy players during this close season but Delboy and Rodney prefer dodging and diving, ducking and skiving to running a professional football club 🙁

• lesh

Nov 21, 2012 at 7:19 PM

AndyMac // @30, are you seriousy suggesting that you’d have been happy to have had the previous owners carry on the way they were and seeing Newcastle United dropping down the leagues like a stone and become insolvent.

Think about Portsmouth for example and think again because without Ashley, that’s the way we would have gone.

C’mon man, get a grip of your senses and remember that MA a DL are still learning about how a football club works.

Patience and support’s what’s needed, not ill-thought out opinions.

• AndyMac

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:07 PM

lesh says:

Lesh read what other people write before working your mouth off !

• lesh

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Andy M, this is your paragraph my comment referred to:

“Lets not go there PB otherwise we’ll end up exposing the Fatman for his naivety in buying the club, running the club and selecting his managers. His £100m loan is all about paying for his phat ph@ckups !”

Ph@ckups or not, the £100m has been useful to the club, don’t you think?

• ash1001

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Not going to waste a lot of time making a comment on Pardew and his ‘its tough statement re Europe’

Sick of hearing him spout forth with excuses, re resources and anything else that comes to mind regarding present performances.

We have 50,000 crowds (3rd highest in the league), a Billionaire owner (with supposed zips on his pockets), A manager who has copyrighted the ‘Football Managers Excuse Book’

Now he says the Europa league is to much for his players + PL, what a load of TOSH. Trying telling that to folks like Bobby Moncur and Wyn Davies home from a Fairs cup match on a Thursday, playing where-ever on a Saturday, and if its an away match getting there by bus or train.

He also goes on about the resources of the top clubs, they are all millions in debt because they want to succeed on the pitch.

AP sorry but you do not convince me in any way.

• Sazzer

Nov 22, 2012 at 7:19 AM

After seeing Juventus dominate Chelsea. 3-5-2 might not be a bad idea for us.