Newcastle Boss Lashes Out At Chelsea Owner

We must say it was a complete shock when we read this morning that Roberto di Matteo had been sacked as the Chelsea manager, just a short six months after he had led Chelsea to the European Champions League trophy – for the first time in Chelsea’s history.

Roman Abramovich – sacked eight managers so far in his nine year tenure

And the Newcastle manager Alan Pardew was stunned by the announcement, and he has hit out at the owner Roman Abramovich, who now has had eight managers in nine seasons at Chelsea – and he’s about to name his ninth manager at the club.

Who do they think they are – Newcastle?

This is what Alan said today about Roberto’s firing:

“Astonished really. It just goes to show you how precarious we are as Premier League managers and you can’t take anything for granted.” “The shock that should be there from the fans and the media should sound something to the owner of that football club – Roman Abramovich.

“I don’t know if that’s their ninth manager or whatever it is in so many short years, it’s just not fair.” “As far as I’m concerned Roberto Di Matteo has done absolutely nothing wrong. The philosophy was to change the look of the team which he’s tried to do and he’s won two competitions in less than a year, so it’s unbelievable.”

“Roberto should walk straight into another job – probably at someone else’s misfortune, unfortunately.”

The managers who have been at Chelsea since Roman Abramovich bought the club in 2003 in  order are Claudio Ranieri, Jose Mourinho, Avram Grant, Luis Felipe Scolari, Guus Hiddink, Carlo Ancelotti, Andre Vilas Boas and Roberto di Matteo.

The current favorites for the job are former Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez, who is odds on, and former Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola, who is listed at 5-2 – and we have tho think Abramovixh wants Pep at Chelsea – but how long he would last there we have no idea.

Alan Pardew is down in the betting at 45-1 – but after the comments above – make that 145-1. 😀

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• archaeomag

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Sport ?
    It is more like a soap opera!
    Well done MA for giving AP a long contract, and good for Alan speaking out.
    Stability has to be better than the hire’em fire’em Ruski approach – it just goes to show that rich people are not necessarily very clever.

• archaeomag

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:41 PM

. . .at least you can see that MA learns from his mistakes.

• Super Magpie

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Ibiza
    When you say you want to hear the opinions of fans who attend the games – you’d be surprised at how bad some are. Worse than on here at times. (obviously not all fans, but some)
    There’s a few behind me who talk utter crap at times. Also, just a question?

You said your from the south and moved to Ibiza. Have you ever attended a game in your time supporting us? (Home or away)

• archaeomag

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM

@Super Magpie
    Fans are a mixed ability group.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Archie

Who are the current CL and FA cup winners?

Somebody staying a long time doesn’t necessarily = stability

Ibiza
    did i see you suggesting a 433 or a 4231. have you been converted?

• solano

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Archaeomag…Chelsea and Newcastle are two very different entities and just because they have rid themselves of another manager shouldn’t mean we heap praise on our owner who has implemented a policy of such limited ambition that has fuelled complacency and disillusionment in equal measure.
    Purely as a fan, I would quite happily see an owner change managers every 6 months if it meant NUFC had bagged 4 Prem titles, 3 FA Cups and a Champions League!

• Blaydon-Toon

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Supermag I’m answering your Q to Ibiza From me …. I live in Ipswich but born and bred a Geordie moved down south with my old mans job when I was 7 – I’m now 35 ! It’s in the blood wish I could get to more games but the cost with travel is ridiculous looked at train prices from London £104 Ew or flights from Norwich£124 ew or travel 5/6 hours in the car so wish it was closer to me ! Toon forever tho !

• Marty-Toon

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Roman has more money than sense,
    Not only does he pay double the price for players the wages are totally outrageous.
    Must say that for a team of expensive players they have a poor CM and overrated defence.
    I like Cole and Ivanovic.
    Cahill was good before he went to them and is gettin better

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Munster Mag Mikes Mate……What about Santon, Cabaye and Tiote? It wont work everytime, but overall, I think the quality we have got in is impressive, especially when you consider the amount spent. But they can’t just live with that, they have to continue and I expect them to this January – but like many, wont be holding my breath.

Super….I have only ever attended one game, which was at West Ham. Great day, even though I was sat with the West Ham fans (yes, I was in my bright green Given goalie top). A John Barnes goal got us the 3 points and then I got to gloat in the ’66 club afterwards. Popular? No. In danger? Not really as an 11 year old 🙂

Sadly, have never made it to SJP, but it is on my list.

I imagine some of what you hear at games is worse than on here, but as paying fans, it is good to hear what they have to say…doesn’t mean I will agree 🙂

• Super Magpie

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:53 PM

It’s not like we’ve been much better in the manager department although we seem to be finally finding some stability.

2004: Sir Bobby- sacked undeservedly
    2004-2006: Graeme Souness – Sacked deservedly
    2006-2007: Glenn Roeder- was unlucky with injuries but sacked
    2007-2008: Big Sam – Sacked, should be have given more time?
    2008: Keegan- Resigned due to Ashley/Wise
    2008: JFK- nothing needs to be said
    2009: Shearer- brought in to please the fans, we were a sinking ship
    2009-2010 : Chris Hughton- Sacked undeservedly, treated appaulingly.
    2010-? : Alan Pardew- Under pressure, needs to turn things around, similar position to Roeder with Europe and injuries.

9 managers in 8 years.
    9 in 6 when Pardew was appointed. It’s not like we are much better than Chelsea… We look to be turning a corner though. They don’t.

• Super Magpie

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Your= You’re*
    Big Sam- Should he have been given more time?*

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Rotonda…Me? Converted? Never thought you were an optimist 🙂 (Genuine joke, not sarcasm, at least it wasn’t meant that way).

If we’re talking formations, I do prefer 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 and have done for some time. When I defend Pardew, it’s not me saying 4-4-2 is the way to go. I think each game calls for a different set-up, but do feel our “fall to” formation would be better suited as the 4-3-3 or variation of. What else can we find that we agree on, I like this more than arguing with you.

Blaydon…Try adding flights in to those figures…ouch, just plain old ouch 🙂

• Marty-Toon

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM

@Blaydon,
    Know the feelin mate.
    I live in Norway now and it’s been 4 years since I’ve been at a game.
    They stopped doin direct flights with Ryanair so I’d ave to fly to Manchester or Glasgow first otherwise I’d have to get away tickes which ain’t easy to come by and the experience isnt the same in other grounds

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Super…With the Chelsea and Newcastle firing comparisons. It was one of the reasons why I was happy with Pardew and his contract. If we want out of it, we can and will, what it does show is a sign that the club wants stability. Something I don’t think Chelsea will have under Abramovich.

Solano…..In Chelseas case, they have shown that stability isn’t the be all and end all to get success. However, we don’t have someone throwing a billion £ at the club, so stability may be needed to achieve greater things than rotating managers would.

I know you have your reservations, which make it hard to have faith in the current structure, but do you agree in principal?

• Graeme

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Ibiza, its a way of life – I was born into it and guess I had no real choice.

When I pop my clogs, they can wrap me in a red & white scarf – far better to bury or burn a smb than a blue blood Geordie Boy lol

• Blaydon-Toon

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Marty know what you mean all London clubs are only an hour on the train but getting away tickets is impossible as they are always sold to season ticket holders and members ! I do get to SJP at least once a season but not enough for my liking … If a win the lotto first thing I would do buy a Ferrari no buy a mansion no you guessed it season ticket then the Ferrari then the house 🙂

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Graeme…Growing up down south, I thought I did have choice and chose badly for a while. Eventually the geordie blood sorted me out though – there is only one choice.

Blaydon….Don’t be selfish. Season ticket, then a RB, then the car and house. Get yourself sorted ffs.

• Super Magpie

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Blaydon
    Nice to hear, I think I saw one of your posts before saying you were coming up for Wigan. Hope you enjoy it mate, because the last few games have underwhelming to say the least. Oh, and wrap up, it will be cold. 🙂

Ibiza
    Atleast you’ve attended 1. 😉 Can’t say I’ve been to any away games to date. I’m planning to try and go to one soon though.
    I don’t blame you for swapping England with Ibiza either.
    I’m sure you’ll be able to come over one day and see us, hopefully we’ll be playing a lot better than we are at the moment.

• solano

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Ibiza….my point was the clubs are not even worthy of any comparison because of the different outlooks and approaches adopted by the 2 owners.
    As for the manager, I made my views very clear the other night that sacking AP would be pointless, because we are not dealing with the root cause of the problems. He is in a very difficult position as patsy for regime, but i have no doubt whatsoever, that if things continue to worsen his bosses would drop him like a hot coal to save themselves.
    The whole ‘plan’ at NUFC is intrinsically flawed because it lacks resources and ambition. People need to realise the root causes of this and not jump on the sack bandwagon….because as you point out it isn’t a solution longterm in most cases.
    My general point earlier, was merely to say i would like NUFC to win multiple trophies like Chelsea have. A middle ground approach is possible.

• Graeme

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Dont you all think that Luckypoo had it right in the early days?? Complete continuity from the “Boot-room” to the “Managers Desk” from Shankley onwards until recent times. All the Managers had worked their way through the club, most spent a life-time there.

They all knew what made the club tick, what was in its heart, what kept it growing and look at the success it achieved.

To me, THAT is what we should be trying to do at SJP

• Ketsbaia9

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Hopefully Di Mateo will take your job Alan. You’re not exactly firing on all cylinders are you. Marveaux and Abeid should be starting in every game for the next 7/8 weeks.

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Super…..One day, hopefully not too far away. They best play well when I come, do they not know who I am? 🙂

I’m hoping, stupidly as It will likely end in disaster, that WHEN we qualify from the group stages, we draw a Spanish team, so I might be able to catch a cheap flight to see them. The problem with that is obvious, a Spanish team will likely make us look silly. Can’t have it all though…or so they say. Boy how I dislike them and what they say…

• Super Magpie

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I’m having a shocked today. 😳
    Have been underwhelming.*

• Marty-Toon

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Blaydon,
    Would ya rent out the Ferrari and the house for fans living abroad so,seeing that you’re gonna be filthy rich?
    🙂 let me know which dates are available to book in 😉

• Peter Beardsley

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I Think people forget that when it comes to Mike not investing in our club to the degree that the fans would like, is down to the way the club was run under past owners.

People forget that Mike has given Newcastle utd a £100m interest free loan that has not even begun to be paid off yet as we are still making a minor loss. Interest free means that adjusted for inflation the amount of money that is owed back is getting smaller in value.

Mike has given our club a massive investment and has probably saved us from bankruptcy.

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Solano….I get that, we are worlds apart on many levels, so comparisons are weak and pointless to some extent.

As for wanting to win trophies, you wont get a sniff of an argument out of me, it is what we all want, now it’s just a question of how.

You say the plan is flawed and lacks ambition. Is that due to the time it could or would take to work or the idea that it cannot work? I may be wrong, but aren’t you of the thinking it’s all just a made up scenario to keep the fans quiet whilst Mike advertises SD and laughs all the way to the bank?

To be completely honest, I do see that, but I don’t believe it. I do question decisions the club makes, but I do see sense in “the plan”. I hope come the end of it, I wasn’t wrong to put my trust in them, but I do accept that at this point it is probably as likely to be one outcome as it is the other.

• Super Magpie

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Ibiza
    For the clubs sake, I would not want a Spanish team in the next round.
    Athletico Madrid or Athletico Bilbao? No thanks.

How about Real Mallorca? Are they contenders for Europe this season? It would only be a short trip across the Balearics. Then again, we would still have to qualify first.

• Blaydon-Toon

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM

No worries Marty I would buy ever blogger on here a season ticket if that happened …. Well maybe a couple of unlucky people who have irked me will dip out but on the whole most would receive Kets included just to see if he is an actual fan 🙂

• solano

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:19 PM

It’s fitting that Peter Beardsley should jump to the defence of his employer 😉
    Cue the quasi accountancy debate..where did all the money go? why haven’t we paid debt off?
    I’m off to watch West Allotment versus Shields!

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM

To your playstations people…there is hope 🙂

• sirtoongospel

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Just heard Pards say that the press and fans reaction to the sacking of RDM, should send a message to the owners.

Not being funny Alan but if our owner hadn’t done something similar you wouldn’t have a job mate. Hughton had done nothing wrong. Fair enough he hadn’t just won the Champions League, but he had done a sterling job.

I think our manager needs to look at his own position to see that on a whim, he can be bulleted the same as anyone else. Best remedy Pards? Win some bloody games fella!!

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Solano….What? And miss all that fun?

• Graeme

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Sirtoon,

Spot on mate

• Peter Beardsley

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Solano, there’s a job open to you if your interested? you get a free foot rub off the fat man as a golden hello!

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Super…I appreciate it’s selfish and stupid, but I want to see a game damn it! 🙂

Having seen the Spanish kids playing football, I wouldn’t want any Spanish team if it was a knock out game. They start with them at a very young age, and the results are there for all to see.

• solano

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Ibiza….how do you keep your best players if you won’t strengthen in the here and now? The answer is you can’t..and that sits nicely alongside the statements of the club in the last 2 years and Derek’s Colour Purple speech recently.
    Good for ‘business’ though.

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Well, I am off as well. It’s been….well, it’s been what it has 🙂

Take it easy everyone.

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Solano…..I see. Well, I imagine that will depend on what the said purples were told when they arrived and what the believe is happening. If they believe in the 5 year plan, as I’m sure they did when signing, then I don’t think one window will change too much. Then again, if it is all bs, then yes, I would imagine they will feel hard done by and will be looking to go. Time will tell, but still, I haven’t seen anything to suggest either one is right or wrong, so it comes down to belief and I have mine.

As for the colour purple debacle, I don’t believe a single word that man says, whether negative or positive, so I don’t read too much in to that outburst either. If the right player comes along at the right price, we’ll buy them, regardless of whether we already have 11 purples – it’s just more b*ll*cks that doesn’t effect my day to day.

Enjoy your evening.

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Benitez in talks with Chelsea? Snigger.

Right, I am gone.

• stuart no9

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:32 PM

AP should really keep his nose out 1 because it has nothing to do with him 2 he must have a very short memory. i remember a certain AP taking someone elses job at newcastle , also from someone who had done nothing wrong. so he needs to zip it and worry about his mounting problems here. no need to worry alan , your job is safer than the queens.- sadly.

1 2 3 5