Sad Second Half Performance – Ben Arfa And Cisse Injured

Newcastle’s insipid second half performance tonight at St. James’ Park,  when we basically ceded possession to Maritimo cost us a victory and top place in Group D,  after Bordeaux went top with a good 2-1 win at Club Brugge in the other Group D game.

Sylvain Marveaux scored tonight after 23 minutes

At half time everything looked to be under control, after Sylvain had scored a good goal after 23 minutes, but it seemed that Newcastle tried to hold onto a 1-0 lead after the break, rather than keep attacking as we did in the first half,  and those tactics are never good and give momentum to the opposing side.

And sure enough the equalizer came after 79 minutes through Fidelis, who then missed a wonderful opportunity to win the game for Maritimo two minutes into added time, when he shot wide with an open goal to aim at.

Newcastle still qualified for the next stage of the Europa League tonight – and here are the standings in Group D after 5 games played:

PositionTeamPlayedGoal DifferencePoints
1Bordeaux6513
2Newcastle629
3Maritimo6-26
4Club Brugge6-54

But Alan Pardew took a big risk tonight by playing Ben Arfa in the starting line up, and the Frenchman limped off  after 30 minutes, and then Papiss Cisse came off in the second half, with a recurrence of his back problem.

So will the Senegal Football Federation now apologize for invoking that five match rule that stopped Papiss playing on Saturday – it looks like he’s still not fit.

As it turns out we could have lost tonight and still qualified for the knockout rounds of the Europa League, so we seem to have weakened the squad for the vital Southampton game on Sunday.

Newcastle simply didn’t deserve the win tonight, and now we’ll have to see how many players are fit for our important Southampton game – but it doesn’t look too good.

If Newcastle play like we did in the second half tonight, then we’ll probably suffer our third defeat on the trot in the league.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• toonking

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:58 PM

well cisse and HBA is injured guess it’s pardews fault catchy?
    just face it ashley did not risk in the summer so we have become so weak with so a huge injury list

• Graeme

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:58 PM

If Cisse was still suffering from his back injury – WHY did he start tonights game?? It makes no sense whatsoever!!

• catchy in norway

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM

toonking

lets forget about injuries,, they have not been injured all season,

why do we play so poor? even with a full team

• catchy in norway

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Graeme

well u see its like this

ppl only see the 2 at the very top takng a gamble,, they dont ever see pardew doing it

sack him

• Santon03

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I don’t want to sound like Abramovic, but definitely sack him before it gets much much worse. I have tried to be supportive long enough, but this is just too much for me to take.Okay that’s it. I’m not going to watch this team play again. It’s too frustrating to watch, I got angry every time. I know the routine : Sh!tty game, AP blame someone, AP makes excuses, AP says “there some positives to take from that game”. Like I said everything is predictable, AP is too predictable.

• Santon03

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:03 PM

sorry, something wrong with my keyboard 🙁

• Graeme

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Santon, you aint wrong there mate lol

• Santon03

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM

very sorry guys, AP made me hit my keyboard so hard, now is messed up 🙁

• Novocastrian66

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Good grief Santon I thought you had Tourette’s!

• catchy in norway

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:05 PM

romans aproach has got him titles and trophies

the managers know if they dont cut the mustard,, there out,,

this is unlike any other job,, they get sacked and walk away multi milionairs

dont ever feel sorry for them,, 9 time out of 10 they deserve to be sacked

• Ashton

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

We got outplayed by an inferior team yet again.

• Graeme

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Come on lads, cheer up. All we have to do now is beat Bordeaux and finish top. Will mean we miss all the major teams that got through as well!!

• beddersmag

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Santon

Thought repeating your comments again and again was a metaphor for the grounghog day you seem to have been experiencing 🙂

Anyway i think you should chill. We have 11 injuries and are qualified with a game to spare. Can think of a couple other english clubs who would swop positions. Players obviously keeping themselves for sunday and took maratimo for granted.

Not great but no reason to quit man, keep the faith

• toonking

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

but catchy
    most the season atleast two key men have been missing from the team
    first it was raylor and colo then a few games later tiote then jonas and perch joined list just as tiote returns jonas go into the list then colo returns but get suspended now jonas and colo are almost returning we but loose cabaye and possibly HBA and cisse so catch we have suffered injuries from the start unless you highly rate the likes of willo gosling when he was able to play and rushing in youngsters to start both EL and PL

• jon.c

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM

watched the game tonight WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH our squad is so thin if i take my boots on sunday ill get agame.We have no back up what so ever.

• toonking

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM

but catchy
    most the season atleast two key men have been missing from the team
    first it was raylor and colo then a few games later tiote then gosling andperch joined list just as tiote returns jonas go into the list then colo returns but get suspended now jonas and colo are almost returning we but loose cabaye and possibly HBA and cisse so catch we have suffered injuries from the start unless you highly rate the likes of willo gosling when he was able to play and rushing in youngsters to start both EL and PL

• stuart no9

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM

santon @ 5 got a bit of a stutter mate?

• barry_ben_arfa

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

what annoys me is AP complains about injuries. today we had our full strength defence and all our strikers available. all that was missing was Jonas, Tiote & cabaye. He makes out like we’re playing one legged blind people in midfield. If Anita’s that bad he shouldn’t have paid £7m for him. I have not seen one game this season where we havent had a good starting 11. We had worse injuries last year when all our defence was out or all our strikers went to African nations.

• lesh

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Yep, another c**p performance and NUFC FOR SALE may just have hit the nail on the head in a post on the previous thread.

Maybe the players aren’t working their socks off for Pards as they did last season and maybe it’s because they’ve lost some respect for the poor sod.

Why do I refer to Pardew as a poor sod and not wholly responsible for their performance? Cast your minds back to the close season when Pardew was more than cnfident of landing reinforcements. Debuchy was champing at the bit to join us after Cabaye had done the selling job, Douglas was seemingly almost there and what happened….. diddley squat! Why? Because our illustrious Managing Director wouldn’t play ball with the sellers who he said were upping prices.

In the meantimee, Pardew went public bay communicating that he’d told the powers that be that the players needed to see signings. So, we got Anita. Good as he may be, he aint a right back nor is he a central defender or a striker. A token signing perhaps to calm the restless natives?

So, Cabaye’s pi**ed that he looks a right pillock in Debuchy’s eyes, he and the other players doubtless see what power they thought Pardew had, diminished and the result, Pardew’s atanding in the dressing room goes right down His authority severely reduced.

Instead of baying for Pardew’s blood, maybe we should just be hoping that friend Llambias has realised just what damage he may have done by p*****g about over signings. Faint hopes I guess but c’mon guys, give Pardew your full support – he surly needs it, Call for his head and you’ll get it and well well, come back Joe Kinnear and we’re back on the rocks again,

It aint pretty at the moment but it could get a damed sight worse.

The message to the blood lusters – be careful what you wish for

• jayphoto

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Interesting stat – Mehdi Abeid gave the ball away more than any other outfield player on either team despite only playing for 9 minutes…. Where’s kets/?? Better than cabaye ay??

• lesh

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:25 PM

* So, Cabaye’s pi**ed off that….

• ash1001

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Just back from the game, AP and those around him have lost the plot, without the back four and Krul we would have been slaughtered tonight.
    This was against a bunch of guys whos total weekly wage bill would not match Colo’s weekly wage.
    We were woeful midfield totally useless, not even any potential there, Anita 6 million wasted, Marveaux useless, could go on about the others and it would be the same sort of comment.
    Sorry but it has to be said exc the back 4 & Krul + possibly Ba, Cisse & Ben Arfa (based upon past performances not tonights) are just not good enough, and never ever will be – so should be shipped out, along with AP if thats his idea of players with potential.

• Super Magpie

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Wow, just wow…
    Not spending in summer has cost us dearly. Is that 11 players out injured now? Even with the extra games I can’t understand how we carry so many injuries. The other teams in europe are hardly carrying any injuries so why is it us?
    This can be put down to our training regime IMO, something that we are doing is training has got be causing some of this. Then there’s bad luck.

I start to worry for us now, No Ben Arfa to carry us means we have no outlet, the team spirit that we had has now disappeared and we seem to be totally clueless of how to attack teams, Pardews tactics this season have been under par but there is not much he can do with this group of players atm. Im not expecting us to win many games until the new year.

Ashley and Llambias have f*cked us over and we have paid the price.

• Super Magpie

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Wow, just wow…

Ashley and Llambias have f**ked us over and we have paid the price.

• jayphoto

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Genuinly surprised at how bad we were but a few notes –
    Many on here have called for 4-2-3-1 – U got it tonight it didn’t work
    Many have called for abeid, kets even saying hes better than cabaye – he lost the ball every time he got it and ran around like a headless chicken
    We played hardly any long balls, yet looked worse than ever
    Marveaux doesn’t look fit enough to play 90 mins, was non existent in 2nd half

• jayphoto

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Llambias is the one to blame, remember Pardew saying Ashley asked him when heveas gonna sign a centre half, Derek controls club finances, he hasn’t backed pardew and its now showing

• eaststandgeordie1982

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Hardly any long balls???? There was alot tonite to cisse on his own and to ba on his own, santon is my player of the season so far.

• jonobbad

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I wish people would stop blaming injuries.
    Yes they decimate the squad but you see inferior teams play well like Norwich against man u.
    Imo not many Norwich players would get in our squad even with our fringe players, yet we haven’t put in a performance like that.
    A good manager will get 11 players to play well with motivation, leadership and tactics.
    I can’t think of one game where we have shone, apart from maybe 20 mins against a stunned bordeaux.

• manxpie

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:45 PM

ffs we’re through by the way!! (the 3rd english team in europe!)
    we had a whole new midfield well a new front 5 for this season!
    i said the other day when transfer sage said our injuries were the same as the rest of the league’s that it was bollicks!
    we’ve got injuries in areas with injuries thats the big problem !
    arfa’s gonna be a massive miss so i hope marveaux steps up more then he did 2nite!
    again alot of you said before the game “great team’ great formation!” so how the f@#k is it pardews fault!
    the players are having a hard time BECAUSE of the injuries we haven’t had a settled team all season FACT! again not pardews fault!
    look higher if you wanna blame some1
    but i might just join you miserable bar stewards!
    SHIT we’ve just qualified for the proper stages of europe wat the hell is pardew playing at!

• Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner)

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Basically, we played the formation you wanted, played some good passing football first half, (when ben arfa was on) despite it being very much a second string side, we played very few long balls. Yet still it’s Pardews fault we didnt win?!

No it’s not. Some of the younger players weren’t up to the task today and it showed.

Abeid, as I said earlier after seeing him in the U21s, is nowhere near first team level.
    Sammy had a so-so game. Received some extremely unfair critisism from fans around me but wasn’t anywhere near his best.
    Marveaux seemed to get very tired.
    Amalfitano isn’t ready for first team yet, or not to be chucked in at the deep end, but he wasn’t bought to play straight away.
    Anita, although not as bad as some are saying IMO, didnt seem to run forward to challenge or the ball, and rather waited for the player to run to him.
    Simpson and santon looked out of sorts at times today. Gave away cheap possession and looked out of place defending at times.
    Cisse got lost up front on his own, as for
    Ba. Today was a game for shola. We needed that physical presence upfront.
    Bigi played decent, although is still very young and is still learning and it showed.
    Ben arfa played very well untill he went off.

Bad day at the office for the players, I though Pardew got his tactics right, and his substitutions, baring in mind they were all made through injuries.
    The players didnt peform as well as they needed to, and a draw was probably a fair result. It doesn’t matter how you set up, or how you are told to play, if you aren’t playing well, you aren’t going to win.

Also, I don’t think I’ve seen many people, if any, actually comment on te fact that we have qualified from the group!
    Howay man, we had a bad game, still drew, and qualified for the knockout stages.

And for those interested, there will be a new episode of
    The chronicles of the annoying people who sit behind me at the match : a European adventure.

When I get the time.

• manxpie

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM

jono yeah they wouldn’t but they do play together every week and don’t have most of there spine out of the team!

• Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner)

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM

But would still rate santon as one of the best today.

As some one had said, player of the season so far is definitely santon. We need to keep a hold of him, he will be one of the best defenders in the world in a few years.

• Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner)

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Oh, and shipoopi

• manxpie

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:55 PM

jesus wizard knowing them europeans instead of licking your seat i dread to think of how sticky the back off your’s was!

• colwell

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:57 PM

What is it with all these bell-ends wanting to nosh Pards off?

Ok its not all his fault the tight cu@t at the top should have invested but it is Pards fault for the way we play.

With players like Cabaye.Ben Arfa,Ba,Santon etc you’d imagine we’d be able to string a few passes together, maybe even a bit of one touch football. We have not played well all season including pre-season how long are we supposed to wait and still be up Pards back side when he can’t take any blame for the way we play?

Injuries and suspensions are beyond his control but F#ck me the defending a 1 goal lead tactics are pathetic. Getting players like Ba and HBA to track back and defend is pointless they need to be up the other end causing problems not wasting energy defending.

Pards can play 5 upfront but with his negative tactics and emphasis on defending we aren’t going to do much.

We have only come from behind once in 2 years to win thats terrible for any team.

• yorkymag

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:59 PM

It seems that the truth about our current plight is admixture of many things a bit luck last year to finish 5th,the quad not deep enough and lots of injuries all true.
    The realmissue for me thou is that the players that have been reccruited are simply not good enough ,and Mr Carrvhas a lot to answer for ,whilst agree that we needed more reinforcements a least 6 of carrs recommendations are absolute s..t,there is no other wabtondescrbe them they are light weight give the ballnawaybandvhave the creativity of a dead fly.
    If Carr werevso great and we had got some good players in instead of this rubbish we would be in better shape.
    I know we have had some good signings and it’s never a perfect science but Anita ,marveux abid ,obertans,amifficom,boggy
    Give me Guthrie and Nolan anyway
    Carr is not so great after all ?

• Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner)

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:59 PM

And we are the first english team this season to qualify, despite playing a team that must have had half the players under 23 years old.

• BelfastMagpie

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I thought we wern’t to bad first half,and then Ben Arfa went off.

It all went Pete Tong from there.

2nd half was awful..

Hope Ben Arfa is back a.s.a.p. 🙂

• fray bentos

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Kets said before that a positive was that abeid would possibly get a stretch in first team, this must prove he doesn’t watch the game properly, that’s the worst display I’ve seen by toon midfielder in quite a while, granted it was only 10 mins but u would have thought fresh legs would have made him look good. What hope does pardew have when that’s what he has to bring on in the dying minutes to get a win

• manxpie

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:02 AM

colwell we finished 5th last season witch tells me last season we didn’t need to come from behind!
    and tell me how many games this season has cabeye played well and why thats pardew’s fault that he hasn’t?