The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Sad Second Half Performance – Ben Arfa And Cisse Injured

10:55 pm, Thursday, November 22nd, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 110 Comments

Newcastle’s insipid second half performance tonight at St. James’ Park,  when we basically ceded possession to Maritimo cost us a victory and top place in Group D,  after Bordeaux went top with a good 2-1 win at Club Brugge in the other Group D game.

Sylvain Marveaux scored tonight after 23 minutes

At half time everything looked to be under control, after Sylvain had scored a good goal after 23 minutes, but it seemed that Newcastle tried to hold onto a 1-0 lead after the break, rather than keep attacking as we did in the first half,  and those tactics are never good and give momentum to the opposing side.

And sure enough the equalizer came after 79 minutes through Fidelis, who then missed a wonderful opportunity to win the game for Maritimo two minutes into added time, when he shot wide with an open goal to aim at.

Newcastle still qualified for the next stage of the Europa League tonight – and here are the standings in Group D after 5 games played:

PositionTeamPlayedGoal DifferencePoints
1Bordeaux6513
2Newcastle629
3Maritimo6-26
4Club Brugge6-54

But Alan Pardew took a big risk tonight by playing Ben Arfa in the starting line up, and the Frenchman limped off  after 30 minutes, and then Papiss Cisse came off in the second half, with a recurrence of his back problem.

So will the Senegal Football Federation now apologize for invoking that five match rule that stopped Papiss playing on Saturday – it looks like he’s still not fit.

As it turns out we could have lost tonight and still qualified for the knockout rounds of the Europa League, so we seem to have weakened the squad for the vital Southampton game on Sunday.

Newcastle simply didn’t deserve the win tonight, and now we’ll have to see how many players are fit for our important Southampton game – but it doesn’t look too good.

If Newcastle play like we did in the second half tonight, then we’ll probably suffer our third defeat on the trot in the league.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Hatem Ben Arfa · Injuries · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse

110 responses so far ↓

• 1 toonking // Nov 22, 2012 at 10:58 PM

well cisse and HBA is injured guess it’s pardews fault catchy?
    just face it ashley did not risk in the summer so we have become so weak with so a huge injury list

• 2 Graeme // Nov 22, 2012 at 10:58 PM

If Cisse was still suffering from his back injury – WHY did he start tonights game?? It makes no sense whatsoever!!

• 3 catchy in norway // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:00 PM

toonking

lets forget about injuries,, they have not been injured all season,

why do we play so poor? even with a full team

• 4 catchy in norway // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Graeme

well u see its like this

ppl only see the 2 at the very top takng a gamble,, they dont ever see pardew doing it

sack him

• 5 Santon03 // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I don’t want to sound like Abramovic, but definitely sack him before it gets much much worse. I have tried to be supportive long enough, but this is just too much for me to take.Okay that’s it. I’m not going to watch this team play again. It’s too frustrating to watch, I got angry every time. I know the routine : Sh!tty game, AP blame someone, AP makes excuses, AP says “there some positives to take from that game”. Like I said everything is predictable, AP is too predictable.

• 6 Santon03 // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:03 PM

sorry, something wrong with my keyboard :(

• 7 Graeme // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Santon, you aint wrong there mate lol

• 8 Santon03 // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM

very sorry guys, AP made me hit my keyboard so hard, now is messed up :(

• 9 Novocastrian66 // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Good grief Santon I thought you had Tourette’s!

• 10 catchy in norway // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:05 PM

romans aproach has got him titles and trophies

the managers know if they dont cut the mustard,, there out,,

this is unlike any other job,, they get sacked and walk away multi milionairs

dont ever feel sorry for them,, 9 time out of 10 they deserve to be sacked

• 11 Ashton // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

We got outplayed by an inferior team yet again.

• 12 Graeme // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Come on lads, cheer up. All we have to do now is beat Bordeaux and finish top. Will mean we miss all the major teams that got through as well!!

• 13 beddersmag // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Santon

Thought repeating your comments again and again was a metaphor for the grounghog day you seem to have been experiencing :-)

Anyway i think you should chill. We have 11 injuries and are qualified with a game to spare. Can think of a couple other english clubs who would swop positions. Players obviously keeping themselves for sunday and took maratimo for granted.

Not great but no reason to quit man, keep the faith

• 14 toonking // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:10 PM

but catchy
    most the season atleast two key men have been missing from the team
    first it was raylor and colo then a few games later tiote then jonas and perch joined list just as tiote returns jonas go into the list then colo returns but get suspended now jonas and colo are almost returning we but loose cabaye and possibly HBA and cisse so catch we have suffered injuries from the start unless you highly rate the likes of willo gosling when he was able to play and rushing in youngsters to start both EL and PL

• 15 jon.c // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM

watched the game tonight WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH our squad is so thin if i take my boots on sunday ill get agame.We have no back up what so ever.

• 16 toonking // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:12 PM

but catchy
    most the season atleast two key men have been missing from the team
    first it was raylor and colo then a few games later tiote then gosling andperch joined list just as tiote returns jonas go into the list then colo returns but get suspended now jonas and colo are almost returning we but loose cabaye and possibly HBA and cisse so catch we have suffered injuries from the start unless you highly rate the likes of willo gosling when he was able to play and rushing in youngsters to start both EL and PL

• 17 stuart no9 // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM

santon @ 5 got a bit of a stutter mate?

• 18 barry_ben_arfa // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:22 PM

what annoys me is AP complains about injuries. today we had our full strength defence and all our strikers available. all that was missing was Jonas, Tiote & cabaye. He makes out like we’re playing one legged blind people in midfield. If Anita’s that bad he shouldn’t have paid £7m for him. I have not seen one game this season where we havent had a good starting 11. We had worse injuries last year when all our defence was out or all our strikers went to African nations.

• 19 lesh // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Yep, another c**p performance and NUFC FOR SALE may just have hit the nail on the head in a post on the previous thread.

Maybe the players aren’t working their socks off for Pards as they did last season and maybe it’s because they’ve lost some respect for the poor sod.

Why do I refer to Pardew as a poor sod and not wholly responsible for their performance? Cast your minds back to the close season when Pardew was more than cnfident of landing reinforcements. Debuchy was champing at the bit to join us after Cabaye had done the selling job, Douglas was seemingly almost there and what happened….. diddley squat! Why? Because our illustrious Managing Director wouldn’t play ball with the sellers who he said were upping prices.

In the meantimee, Pardew went public bay communicating that he’d told the powers that be that the players needed to see signings. So, we got Anita. Good as he may be, he aint a right back nor is he a central defender or a striker. A token signing perhaps to calm the restless natives?

So, Cabaye’s pi**ed that he looks a right pillock in Debuchy’s eyes, he and the other players doubtless see what power they thought Pardew had, diminished and the result, Pardew’s atanding in the dressing room goes right down His authority severely reduced.

Instead of baying for Pardew’s blood, maybe we should just be hoping that friend Llambias has realised just what damage he may have done by p*****g about over signings. Faint hopes I guess but c’mon guys, give Pardew your full support – he surly needs it, Call for his head and you’ll get it and well well, come back Joe Kinnear and we’re back on the rocks again,

It aint pretty at the moment but it could get a damed sight worse.

The message to the blood lusters – be careful what you wish for

• 20 jayphoto // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Interesting stat – Mehdi Abeid gave the ball away more than any other outfield player on either team despite only playing for 9 minutes…. Where’s kets/?? Better than cabaye ay??

• 21 lesh // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:25 PM

* So, Cabaye’s pi**ed off that….

• 22 ash1001 // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Just back from the game, AP and those around him have lost the plot, without the back four and Krul we would have been slaughtered tonight.
    This was against a bunch of guys whos total weekly wage bill would not match Colo’s weekly wage.
    We were woeful midfield totally useless, not even any potential there, Anita 6 million wasted, Marveaux useless, could go on about the others and it would be the same sort of comment.
    Sorry but it has to be said exc the back 4 & Krul + possibly Ba, Cisse & Ben Arfa (based upon past performances not tonights) are just not good enough, and never ever will be – so should be shipped out, along with AP if thats his idea of players with potential.

• 23 Super Magpie // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Wow, just wow…
    Not spending in summer has cost us dearly. Is that 11 players out injured now? Even with the extra games I can’t understand how we carry so many injuries. The other teams in europe are hardly carrying any injuries so why is it us?
    This can be put down to our training regime IMO, something that we are doing is training has got be causing some of this. Then there’s bad luck.

I start to worry for us now, No Ben Arfa to carry us means we have no outlet, the team spirit that we had has now disappeared and we seem to be totally clueless of how to attack teams, Pardews tactics this season have been under par but there is not much he can do with this group of players atm. Im not expecting us to win many games until the new year.

Ashley and Llambias have f*cked us over and we have paid the price.

• 24 Super Magpie // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Wow, just wow…

Ashley and Llambias have f**ked us over and we have paid the price.

• 25 jayphoto // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Genuinly surprised at how bad we were but a few notes -
    Many on here have called for 4-2-3-1 – U got it tonight it didn’t work
    Many have called for abeid, kets even saying hes better than cabaye – he lost the ball every time he got it and ran around like a headless chicken
    We played hardly any long balls, yet looked worse than ever
    Marveaux doesn’t look fit enough to play 90 mins, was non existent in 2nd half

• 26 jayphoto // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Llambias is the one to blame, remember Pardew saying Ashley asked him when heveas gonna sign a centre half, Derek controls club finances, he hasn’t backed pardew and its now showing

• 27 eaststandgeordie1982 // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Hardly any long balls???? There was alot tonite to cisse on his own and to ba on his own, santon is my player of the season so far.

• 28 jonobbad // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I wish people would stop blaming injuries.
    Yes they decimate the squad but you see inferior teams play well like Norwich against man u.
    Imo not many Norwich players would get in our squad even with our fringe players, yet we haven’t put in a performance like that.
    A good manager will get 11 players to play well with motivation, leadership and tactics.
    I can’t think of one game where we have shone, apart from maybe 20 mins against a stunned bordeaux.

• 29 manxpie // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:45 PM

ffs we’re through by the way!! (the 3rd english team in europe!)
    we had a whole new midfield well a new front 5 for this season!
    i said the other day when transfer sage said our injuries were the same as the rest of the league’s that it was bollicks!
    we’ve got injuries in areas with injuries thats the big problem !
    arfa’s gonna be a massive miss so i hope marveaux steps up more then he did 2nite!
    again alot of you said before the game “great team’ great formation!” so how the f@#k is it pardews fault!
    the players are having a hard time BECAUSE of the injuries we haven’t had a settled team all season FACT! again not pardews fault!
    look higher if you wanna blame some1
    but i might just join you miserable bar stewards!
    SHIT we’ve just qualified for the proper stages of europe wat the hell is pardew playing at!

• 30 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Basically, we played the formation you wanted, played some good passing football first half, (when ben arfa was on) despite it being very much a second string side, we played very few long balls. Yet still it’s Pardews fault we didnt win?!

No it’s not. Some of the younger players weren’t up to the task today and it showed.

Abeid, as I said earlier after seeing him in the U21s, is nowhere near first team level.
    Sammy had a so-so game. Received some extremely unfair critisism from fans around me but wasn’t anywhere near his best.
    Marveaux seemed to get very tired.
    Amalfitano isn’t ready for first team yet, or not to be chucked in at the deep end, but he wasn’t bought to play straight away.
    Anita, although not as bad as some are saying IMO, didnt seem to run forward to challenge or the ball, and rather waited for the player to run to him.
    Simpson and santon looked out of sorts at times today. Gave away cheap possession and looked out of place defending at times.
    Cisse got lost up front on his own, as for
    Ba. Today was a game for shola. We needed that physical presence upfront.
    Bigi played decent, although is still very young and is still learning and it showed.
    Ben arfa played very well untill he went off.

Bad day at the office for the players, I though Pardew got his tactics right, and his substitutions, baring in mind they were all made through injuries.
    The players didnt peform as well as they needed to, and a draw was probably a fair result. It doesn’t matter how you set up, or how you are told to play, if you aren’t playing well, you aren’t going to win.

Also, I don’t think I’ve seen many people, if any, actually comment on te fact that we have qualified from the group!
    Howay man, we had a bad game, still drew, and qualified for the knockout stages.

And for those interested, there will be a new episode of
    The chronicles of the annoying people who sit behind me at the match : a European adventure.

When I get the time.

• 31 manxpie // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM

jono yeah they wouldn’t but they do play together every week and don’t have most of there spine out of the team!

• 32 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM

But would still rate santon as one of the best today.

As some one had said, player of the season so far is definitely santon. We need to keep a hold of him, he will be one of the best defenders in the world in a few years.

• 33 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Oh, and shipoopi

• 34 manxpie // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:55 PM

jesus wizard knowing them europeans instead of licking your seat i dread to think of how sticky the back off your’s was!

• 35 colwell // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:57 PM

What is it with all these bell-ends wanting to nosh Pards off?

Ok its not all his fault the tight cu@t at the top should have invested but it is Pards fault for the way we play.

With players like Cabaye.Ben Arfa,Ba,Santon etc you’d imagine we’d be able to string a few passes together, maybe even a bit of one touch football. We have not played well all season including pre-season how long are we supposed to wait and still be up Pards back side when he can’t take any blame for the way we play?

Injuries and suspensions are beyond his control but F#ck me the defending a 1 goal lead tactics are pathetic. Getting players like Ba and HBA to track back and defend is pointless they need to be up the other end causing problems not wasting energy defending.

Pards can play 5 upfront but with his negative tactics and emphasis on defending we aren’t going to do much.

We have only come from behind once in 2 years to win thats terrible for any team.

• 36 yorkymag // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:59 PM

It seems that the truth about our current plight is admixture of many things a bit luck last year to finish 5th,the quad not deep enough and lots of injuries all true.
    The realmissue for me thou is that the players that have been reccruited are simply not good enough ,and Mr Carrvhas a lot to answer for ,whilst agree that we needed more reinforcements a least 6 of carrs recommendations are absolute s..t,there is no other wabtondescrbe them they are light weight give the ballnawaybandvhave the creativity of a dead fly.
    If Carr werevso great and we had got some good players in instead of this rubbish we would be in better shape.
    I know we have had some good signings and it’s never a perfect science but Anita ,marveux abid ,obertans,amifficom,boggy
    Give me Guthrie and Nolan anyway
    Carr is not so great after all ?

• 37 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:59 PM

And we are the first english team this season to qualify, despite playing a team that must have had half the players under 23 years old.

• 38 BelfastMagpie // Nov 22, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I thought we wern’t to bad first half,and then Ben Arfa went off.

It all went Pete Tong from there.

2nd half was awful..

Hope Ben Arfa is back a.s.a.p. :-)

• 39 fray bentos // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Kets said before that a positive was that abeid would possibly get a stretch in first team, this must prove he doesn’t watch the game properly, that’s the worst display I’ve seen by toon midfielder in quite a while, granted it was only 10 mins but u would have thought fresh legs would have made him look good. What hope does pardew have when that’s what he has to bring on in the dying minutes to get a win

• 40 manxpie // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:02 AM

colwell we finished 5th last season witch tells me last season we didn’t need to come from behind!
    and tell me how many games this season has cabeye played well and why thats pardew’s fault that he hasn’t?

• 41 BelfastMagpie // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:02 AM

If you were really a wizard,you’d make sure Ben Arfa is fit for Sunday. ;-)

• 42 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Manxpie – don’t worry, nobody was licking me today. Ill post it tommorow. Or today. I’m not sure what time it is. I’m so confused.

Have fun everyone. Oh, and my neighbours cat has been fighting with other cats an making terrible noises and keeping me up.

Is this Pardews fault?

• 43 Jail for Ashley // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Dunno what happened we seemed to be coasting in the first half I lost radio reception 10 minutes into the second but John Ando saw it coming,so I wasn’t surprised when I finally seen the result like Lesh says,a lit more fault is with Mashley and Dastardly ,they’ve totally undermined Pards authority and it looks like that famous team spirit he created has been lost to a monumental f##k up in the summer.

• 44 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Belfast – ill try my best :)

He looked exactly what he is tonight. A different class.

• 45 colwell // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:06 AM

manxpie

Take Ben Arfa,Santon and Ba out and no other player has played too great. We played absolute shite in pre season and that was put down to fitness levels, that was 3 months ago and still we play slow,long ball, defensive football.

Who else is there to blame except Pards and the coaches?

• 46 davybtoon // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Well another poor performance n santon only player playing well becoming a regular thing this, players are as much to blame if not more than pardew we all kno there better than there playing they need to sort it out

• 47 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Jail – I thought first half we played really well. No hoofball, just passing football. We had some injuries to Ben arfa, cisse, and ended up with essentially a bunch of kids and colo. the inexperience in our second string showed tonight, and it was quite a sloppy goal to concede at a bad time.

• 48 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Anyway, I must be off. Please send all abuse directed at me to my secretary. She will make sure it gets read thoroughly by the shredder.

• 49 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Last note as a reminder to those who have obviously forgot:

We have qualified from the group stages of the Europa league with a game in hand.

You are allowed to enjoy that :)

• 50 BelfastMagpie // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Well Jan transfer window,you usually have to pay over the market value for players.

Ashley and co are obsessed with paying less than the market value.

So work it out for yourselves,how the window will pan out. ;-)

• 51 davybtoon // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Colwell erm the players u telling me there playing anywhere near the standard we kno they can no of course there not, santon is only player who can hold his head high this season n say I’ve played brilliant every game

• 52 yorkymag // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Belfast
    Cisse arrive in jan ,so some hope

• 53 Ketsbaia9 // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Abeid did ok when he came on. He should be starting the next match.

• 54 manxpie // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:18 AM

thats my point collwell you’ve picked our most played players it’s the injuries and suspensions that have cost us plus the underperforming of cabeye tell me how many times we’ve played our strongest line-up in a row!?

• 55 colwell // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Its Pards job to get the players playing one or two players having an off game fair enough not the majority of the squad.

The boo’s have started now if things don’t drastically improve soon (which will be even harder with no HBA) then I highly doubt by the time Cabaye returns Pards will still be here.

• 56 davybtoon // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Colwell you really think pardew is doin much different from last season no he isn’t, the players are not performing n. sacking the manager is not the answer, when will toon fans learn that keep chopping n changing manager will achieve nothing

• 57 Big Pappa Cissé // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM

@ Kets

Even Abied’s wife thought he had a mare today. But what sort of impact can you make with 20 minutes in about 6 months

• 58 BelfastMagpie // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM

They wont sack him.

I’d be very suprised if they did.

There’s probably more chance of Pardew quitting,than them sacking him.

Sacking Llambias would be a much better idea. ;-)

• 59 davybtoon // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Papiss exactly it’s a joke that’s we’ve only seen abeid n amalfitano fur the first time tonight

• 60 davybtoon // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Team v Southampton

Krul
    Santon staylor willo ferguson
    Anita tiote jonas
    Marveux ba sammi

• 61 jayphoto // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Think amalfitano looked lively, he’s quicker than I thought! Abeid gave the ball away more in 10 mins than any other player did in 90 mins, hes defensive play was even worse, think hes shown why he doesn’t get on much! To say he is better than cabaye is a joke!

• 62 santonthenewmaldini // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:30 AM

@davytoon

That is the best team we have available to us unfortunately i feel that we might get bullied against Southampton i think we can score against them as they have looked shocking at the back

Although i can see us conceding we just look like we will concede at least a goal a game so we need to score 2 which we rarely look like doing

• 63 davybtoon // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Amalfitano looks like a little gem shame we ain’t seen more of him, well no more Europa till feb now after Bordeaux so we can just focus in the league

• 64 BelfastMagpie // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I think they probably love the fact,that they can mug Pardew off & he just gets on with it.

There’s plenty of managers who would tell them to stick the job up their ass,after being made to look like a fool.

It’s a winner for Ashley and co with Pardew in charge,hence the 8 year deal.

Goodnight lads!

• 65 fray bentos // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Katz I think your watching the wrong sport or something, abeid was horrendous, i think he may have been dispossessed every time be got the ball. Granted I’m certainly not gonna judge just on this performance but to claim he now deserves a first team place is utter madness, u sure u not been watching another team or sport and this is not all some sort of coincidental big mix up? Or maybe a parallel universe ur part of where the careers of players are different?

• 66 fray bentos // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:40 AM

That was for kets not the random crazy poster called Katz

• 67 santonthenewmaldini // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:44 AM

In a way this period of the next 10 games is going to be the most crucial of say the last 5 years and i include the relegation and promotion games in this!

If the youngsters can step up to the plate and Pardew can get us some results we may just have a chance of Europe again and have some battle hardened troopers out there!

Ever the optimist but i actually fear the worst in the next 3 games Southampton and Stoke to bully us and then Wigan to give us a footballing lesson on our own patch !!!FUCCCCKKKK

• 68 Honoured2BNUFC // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Anyone else think that Kets is actually Abeid? Its the only possible reason why he keeps on and on and on about him. Kets…we get it just leave it there. You sound like an imbecile.
    The result is what matters tonight guys.
    Also for the guys calling for Pardew to go, remember that HUGE contract he signed. Can you imagine the severance payment NUFC would have to pay. We already have a small budget on players. Lets not clamour to make it less!

• 69 jonobbad // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Love how people are so quick to make excuses.
    For once I’d like someone to say yes we played crap.
    Pardew looks like he’s running out of ideas and plays too negative and Europa league is killing our season.
    Yes we have injuries but so does every squad. We knew we were playing a lot more games and done nothing about it.
    DL’s fault we don’t have the quality on bench and it’s AP’s fault we are playing like a pub team.
    Actually I’d fancy my pub team over us at the moment.

• 70 bettyswallocks // Nov 23, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Not looking good for Pardew imo.
    Now we re not winning games we ought to, fans are realising that the team hasnt looked convincing for a long time.

The starting eleven was a team that should have thrashed mtm but yet again after scoring a nice goal we didnt push on and look like scoring more.

You cant fool the Geordie public with silly excuses Mr. Pardew. Once the boos start ringing out at home games you re on the slippery slope.

Its not the recent results that have caused this. The jury has been out on Pardew since day one and people are not buying into his boring style of play.

He s in charge so why can t he INSIST to Krull that he stops hoofing it. That would be a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately I think the work ethic from l ast season that helped us achieve 5th place has worn off and the players have no flair or attack minded strategy to take us forward.

Very frustrating to watch and too many people feel the same now.

• 71 karasu // Nov 23, 2012 at 1:06 AM

When’s our next home game? Me and my mates are prepared to put our lives on the line for Newcastle. We want to let our anger and discontent be heard. We want change now. We want our winning Magpies back. Some of my friends have experience with riot police so they’ll be able to lead the line for the inexperienced. We’ve stockpiled flares, bottles, gas, rags and dimes. Those who are interested in joining us can email me at oencjxi@pakjxbeuy.com

We want change. Now. No points, no excuses, no mercy.

• 72 jimmysmith // Nov 23, 2012 at 1:09 AM

“Insipid second half performance”. Classic stuff Ed. Getting outside of a few Thanksgiving grogs and it’s less the journo and more the fan. I like your style, my man!

• 73 Angryman the Angry fan // Nov 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM

So I vowed sometime ago not to come on here until all the abuse stopped about my opinions re fat barstard Cashley and his little rat. How he would not invest in a team as long as they could achieve premier league survival he would be happy to just coin it in with his inside knowledge that the Money from TV revenue would keep increasing and survival in teh prem was his main if not only target forever!!

GOD do I feel justified in that assumption.

No investment now for some three years?

And now we sign freebies and cheapies, yes he hit on with CXabaye and HBA and even Cisse (Mmmm Maybe) but his luck was always gonna run out regarding his little gambles and now he struggles to unearth the lucky buys.pmsl for nowt.
    Anita?? What was all that about I ask?? 4-5m??? for a defensive midfielder?? when we had the best one in the EPL and signed his younger twin for a quarter of the fee and he is a better player??

Ill tell you will I? oh Cashley worshipping shithouses.

Tiotie was on his way, simple really. Anita was a replacement. Tiotie refused to leave and then they got stuck with an cheap alternative with half the class of Tiotie. But Fatty thought oh Ill make a nice mint outta tiotie and sign this little cheap lad who is on the fringes of the dutch team, may NOT be better than tiotie but will help us maintain a prem status hopefully!!

Pardew the patsie is no better. We’ll see how much the fat snake (Anaconda thats just swallowed an elephant no doubt) will back Patsie Pardew if we start plummeting towards the trapdoor…..

And finally frig last season……
    2 swallows never make a summer….
    Fat Cash will never change, his blueprint is buy in cheap and sell at profit, no interest in in being number 1, just keep the dosh rolling in.

By Cashley gobblers, and to all my fans out there…..I hank you xxx

• 74 t00ntime // Nov 23, 2012 at 2:17 AM

just want too say AP said in an interview that cisses injury wasnt anything to do with his back, he got a knock which froze up at HT (cause he wasnt moving it) so he was limping so they took him off as a pre-caution ;-)

• 75 Mister Tuff // Nov 23, 2012 at 2:18 AM

karasu – wow a riotous group being formed to seize control of SJP. for your information the equipment usually used in this area are pitchforks. nice list of equipment you seem to have –wait –what’s this in your list dimes (presumably to throw) dddduuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh.
    before you send further stupid posts you need to check the currency used in the UK —– clue it’s not dimes. Now clear off you turd and don’t come back. Idiot.

• 76 Schwefelberg // Nov 23, 2012 at 2:25 AM

And also be realizing that amoral and disgracefuling new sponsor starts their names on our vests next season.

Are you ready to witness that?

Ashley and Llambias think this is lucrative for them and it is funny to whip the fans.

• 77 RonVanDam // Nov 23, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Hold on guys. I know why we are losing. Since we changed the name of the stadium to St James park – we’ve started slip down the ladder every week lol

• 78 Widowmaker // Nov 23, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Would personally give Pardew more time, but I must admit that my patience is running out.

Last season, we were quite lucky, it has to be said. The performances were absymal, at best, in most matches. But somehow we always got the results and players happen to perform in games against the big boys at times. On the other hand, Ba and Cisse seems to only need one chance to score in many games…They were just deadly.

Anyway, I really hope the team could start perform and do their ability some justice.

• 79 p // Nov 23, 2012 at 3:20 AM

As normal there are some drama queens on here. All that is left is to give us a rendition of “i will survive” like a drunken lass down the town that has just been dumped.

Newcastle are very mediocre this season and add that to injuries and the distraction of europe and the outcome is what you see.

I do think the management will try

• 80 p // Nov 23, 2012 at 3:22 AM

As i was saying…

The management will try to take corrective steps, we will have to see how that works out..

For me it is defintely europe, this happens all the time to clubs trying to break through.

Silly to overract

• 81 p // Nov 23, 2012 at 3:30 AM

Oh and i forgot to say, having another 10 players is not the issue; it’s the whole prep/training/squad thing they have not figured out yet

• 82 jimmysmith // Nov 23, 2012 at 3:57 AM

My 2 cents. Pards is Ok, not great, but ok, and Ash is a tight cnut. That about sums up our current predicament as far as I can tell.

• 83 Marty-Toon // Nov 23, 2012 at 4:52 AM

Not expecting much against Southampton now,
    Several winnable games and we’ve been terrible.
    It’s not just the tactics lads
    It’s that the team can’t even pass the ball to each other,we kept giving possession away cheaply.
    Seriously these guys are paid professionals and train with a ball many hours a day,I don’t get how we can be so bad at passing.
    Our goal return on set plays is probably the worst in the league so if we can’t score that way and can’t pass a ball without Ben Arfa on the field how’re we gonna score a bloody goal??

• 84 Dojo Shaolin // Nov 23, 2012 at 5:00 AM

I love nufc so much, i support nufc from all my heart since 1996. but why players dont wanna give us real football. sometimes i think that only jonas,krul,ben arfa and santon is playing real football. they are so passionate. but others just walking on the field. they should play till the end. like German national team!!!

• 85 Santon03 // Nov 23, 2012 at 5:12 AM

Sorry guys about #5

P.. You called some of us “drama queen”, I can’t help feeling that I’m included :( . I don’t mind about our current squad, I don’t mind about our summer transfers, I don’t mind about injuries we have, because I believe without the injured players we are still a good team with good players. I have talked about how bad we play and AP tactic since Reading game and hoping for changes for different and better playing style, but there is no change even with 2 home defeat. I can see that the players morale is very low in Maritimo game.
    Like you said it’s AP’s fault ( having another 10 players is not the issue; it’s the whole prep/training/squad thing they have not figured out yet), he should have. I believe he already received the schedule of fixtures we are in when we qualified for Europa. I realized our team is not build for 4 competitions and we already sacrificed League Cup. Even if we are not in Europe, we still play in 3 competitions and we still have to travel, I think it’s just too many excuses from AP, look at Dortmund or LAzio. We just want AP to spend more time making different and better game plan than spending time looking for excuses and crap interviews.

• 86 one Tony Green // Nov 23, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Ed you need to get your facts right

1. Cisse came off with a knock on the thigh.

2. Cisse was absolute garbage anyway.

3. Hater Ben Arfa will play Sunday.

I work at our great club and it is about time the fans understood some of the players just do not fancy playing all the time. Absolute disgrace. I sat among players last night who predicted correctly who would come off injured and with what. These people earn more in a week than we do a year but treat us with no respect.

The whole team were crap and to blame Pardew completely is a joke.

Where was the pride where was the hunger from the fringe players eager to take their chance.

So easy to blame a manager and to all those who champion Abromovich. Di Matteo won two trophies in 8 months and Chelsea are in third place hardly a disaster.

Hands up if you were shocked that Chris H was sacked.

The players need to take a long hard look at themselves and stop playing hoof ball

• 87 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 23, 2012 at 7:23 AM

People say injuries aren’t the problem.
    At some point this season, we have been missing krul, collo, Taylor, Simpson, tiote, cabaye, Jonas, cisse, and now Ben arfa. Infact, we have only really been able to consistently play one first team player: santon.
    On top of that, the second string players who cover our first team also have been/are injured.
    When a team is missing that many players, and it’s only November, how can you expect us to play well?
    Some people are so deluded in their hatred of Pardew that they fail to see the obvious.
    Sometimes excuses are valid. People slagging off Pardews excuses, well what’s he supposed to say? We have been injured, ridiculously much, we have been hit bad by suspensions, we have been affected by Europe, we needed more players in the summer, we have been very unlucky in a lot of games in terms of disallowed goals, penalties not given, dodgy refereeing. Seriously, everything that can go wrong to a football team is happening. It’s hardly pardewsvfault.

If you change manager in the position we are in now (not league position) then I am confident that we will get relegated.

Oh, And to karasu- If you are serious, I hope you get locked up. What you are talking about there sounds just a teensie bit like a thing called terrorism… So have fun with that…

• 88 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 23, 2012 at 7:33 AM

The way I look at is:
    We are through to the knockout stages on the Europa league, we are still undefeated.

Now onto Bordeaux to claim top spot.

• 89 toonbrother // Nov 23, 2012 at 7:43 AM

why should senegal apologize? If he isnt fit then he shouldnt play for five games. Pardew should apologize to the fans,cisse and senegal for playing him and exacerbating his injury

• 90 dmac // Nov 23, 2012 at 7:49 AM

My god there is alot of people talking crap on here. Your self imposed exile angryman the idiot fan is because things had been going swimmingly. Now you return to bask in the glory of a few dodgy performances. Its like you take pleasure in it and yet somehow you call yourself a fan. Big fat hypocrisy right there.

• 91 Griff-toon // Nov 23, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Yess!! We are through to the knockout stages!! Havent lost a game in europe yet!

Young players not up to it yesterday. Not Pardews fault.
    Stop beeing stupid asking for him sacked and start backing the team in bad times. Or stop calling yourself supporters

• 92 dmac // Nov 23, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Could not agree more griff.

• 93 check the toastie // Nov 23, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Real Hardened Newcastle fans have seen much worse, however i would say that currently the under acheivement of a squad has ever been matched.

The rot set in when we failed to invest in the summer. Players are starting to look like they wouldnt mind a move away from the club. Its why Jonas gets picked by Pards every week, for all his lack of quality Pards knows he would bleed for the shirt, watching last night, a little of that was missing.

We are in for a tough season. Need the big players to now stand up, think they will.

Also if Ben Arfa wants to play in a number 10 role he needs to offer more for the ball, he was half hearted last night and personally dont think Pardew trusts him to play their.

• 94 martoon // Nov 23, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I was at the match last night and I have to say that even before the injury Ben Arfa was very poor. Maritimo were a poor team but we made them look quite decent. I can’t put my finger on the problem – we just didn’t seem to have a spark. The only players that came out with any credit, in my opinion, were Colo and Santon.

• 95 eaststandgeordie1982 // Nov 23, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Think it would do the lads some good to do head height football in training we need to work on passing and pressing teams, and also how to get out of teams pressing us, we are really missing quality in the middle of the park someone with some grit and will run all day and give other players a kick up the arse when needed. Think saylor should of done better last night he got done to easy for their goal.

• 96 Blaydon-Toon // Nov 23, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Good morning Mr Martoon guessing Mrs Martoon did not have the greatest of nights like most of us … Totally agree with your assessment Colo and Santon the rest very poor !

• 97 catchy in norway // Nov 23, 2012 at 8:48 AM

H-A-P-P-Y

B-I-R-T-H-D-A-Y

I-B-I-Z-A

• 98 Santon03 // Nov 23, 2012 at 8:53 AM

WOW I saw some people comments so differently from previous topics. Last time I saw they criticised AP now suddenly changed opinion so quickly. At least I’m consistent even if I was proved wrong, I will admit I was wrong. I guess it’s go with the flow or follow the leaders opinions.

I’m getting tired most people here calling others not a hardcore fans just because they attend to games or going through rough times blablabla. You guys want a special treatment or medal or something? F U ALL

• 99 thebionicMAG // Nov 23, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Super Magpie

I agree. I’m an ex athlete and qualified strength and conditioning trainer. Something is seriously wrong with the strength and conditioning at NUFC. Our injury record is appalling. It simply cannot be bad luck because its been going on for years.Players just seem to break down of their own accord rather than suffer impact injuries. I wonder if the players do any sort of Olympic lifting and advanced stretching? This was the cornerstone of training when I was an athlete and I never suffered on going injuries. I was a jumper too so the impact that resonated through my legs/body was far greater than any footballer in a game.

• 100 beddersmag // Nov 23, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Toon brother

Thats not how it works. Cisse will ultimately decide if he plays by what he tells the medical team.Obviously he told them he was ok. Perhaps he was. If anyone it would be cisse or perhaps the medical team but blaming pardew is bit daft. You think he asked cisse to play through the pain? Its not sunday league man…

• 101 Mister Tuff // Nov 23, 2012 at 8:56 AM

conaldo @#87 I think the idiot karusa is some sort of trick to get people to use the email link. Clearly saying they have been collecting dimes suggest the person is not from the UK. Incitement to riot is a criminal offence which can get the offender 10 years here. Recall the ones in the summer riots who used Facebook to try to organise riot/looting got 4 years each.

• 102 Griff-toon // Nov 23, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Santon

I think what hardcore fan means here is that a lot of us have been through mutch worse times.

In fact last season is probbably the best season for the cluv since Bobbys time, and before that Keegan. Im not gonna panick already because of this rough patch.

It during times like these the club needs us more than ever. And as always the Newcastle fans (probbably the best in the world i might add) are so quick to turn on their manager/owner.

Oh and you know when this has happened before…
    Bobby Robson was treated the same way by fans after a poor start to a season. If anyone could have turned that around it was him but our supporters smelled blood after some defeats.

We always expect too mutch, we are NOT a top 5 team yet!!

• 103 catchy in norway // Nov 23, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Conaldo

look at the 2 team that played last night, on paper our team is way ahead of there team,

both teams sitting in 12th in there leagues, but thats where the similarities end,

we play in a league that is ment to be the best in the world
    they play in a league that is very poor if you take the top 3 out of it,
    much like scotland and holand , they made our team look the team from a poor league,
    in the first half we passed it about better than of late, but for me they passed it better, just they never really attcked us, but in the second half they woke up and could have won the game, it feels like we lost, because we expected so much but where let down again,

you can say injuries, but how far back can you use that one?? the football has been poor since he got here

you can blame the players, again there pretty much playing like last year but without the results,

i dont think its just me that thinks this, but this is the best group of players we have had for some time, we can all see the ones with real ability, we can see the ones with less ability but they still put in a shift and will bleed for the club, we know who the shit ones are, that need replaced,, and on that point there isnt as many as you would think,

in closing of my argument, i think if the players are not happy with the lack of investment in the summer, pardew needs to have a word with them, but his job is to get ((A)) team ready to play football, and if ((THAT)) team is not ready for the match for what ever reason, ((HE)) carries the can,

right now you are lookin at his excuses and saying yeh that one is valid, and that one isnt,,

he needs replaced soon, southampton will murder us on sunday, and he will look at not having HBA to be his excuse
    ONE 1 ONE player does not make a team, but right now, 1 player seems our/his only hope

• 104 Tsunki // Nov 23, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Good comments Conaldo. There is either a serious lack of perspective or some very strange ideas on how well we should be doing at the moment. Yes, it would be great if we had a massive squad and could take the injury / suspension hits we have had and still stay in the top 6. But w havent. One nugget suggested I didnt know what I was talking about when I said last nights team was largely a reserve squad! What? Bigi was the only reserve? what about Sammy, marveaux, abeid… even anita is not really an up to speed prem player and a team virtually thrown together cannot pass the ball around like QPR let alone Barca. And the best thing? We drew. We qualified, and another win will guarantee a softer playoff opponent. Great timing to sack a manager. What a bunch of jokers, sack the manager every time we lose a couple of games or even dont play very pretty football.

It seems the rowdy hysterics are in large number unfortunately, theres a serious lack of realism and true perspective – ok so we dont have the squad to cope with an unfortunate turn of events, but hands are tied until at least january so ride it out. I heard boos last night, what is that about? Support the lads. And as for Pardew out – what if he is well liked in the dressing room and you get a manager who they dont like immediately? How will morale do then? Careful what you wish for, we still have the same players, and its them who need to get the shape together.

On the mood of ‘fans’ – I have had people around my seat at PL games booing certain players for every mistake. The mass of people who walked out of the last game before the end was embarrassing. Not fans really, I class a fan who sticks with it to the end, not someone whose priority is to miss the traffic.

• 105 Santon03 // Nov 23, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Griff

I think people here are all hardcore fans, if not they don’t bother to write anything in this blog.
    Basically some people including me just want good football not frustrating football, we all know how we felt when the club was relegated. We already accept the fact that we are not going to win anything in this decade, but if we do it’s just a bonus.
    We just want a good football and how the team play right now as the result of manager set up is not. This type of football is frustrating to watch even with a full team.
    Besides AP already signed 8 years contract, probably no pressures even if we were in relegation battle.

• 106 davis_toons // Nov 23, 2012 at 9:34 AM

It very simple. The club got a problem or two. The manager got to sort it out.

A good manger will sort this shit out. He just got to be a good manager. Not one that barks all day at the player and nothing to show for.

Players was even Sad and some even CRY when JoseM left InterM. Do you guys knows that?

That is a quality a manger that can bring to a group of players.

• 107 tonesy25 // Nov 23, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Well the only thing we need to take from last nights game is that we are through to the next round and thats it.

I agree that the team spirit seems to have gone but that happens to all teams when they start to lose games. I really wish we would stop playing long balls that just come off Cisse/Ba head back to the opposite team, it never works because no one there is there to catch the knock down i.e. a Nolan type of the player.

However the long kicks mostly start with the goal keeper and Krul seems to try both options but more often the long kick. I remember Given used to be good at the long goal kicks so that why it worked for Shearer etc but we really need to be able to play the ball out from the goal keeper.

The midfield last night was invisiable for the second half, although i rate Biggi as he is still a young player i just wish he would stick his foot in a bit more he has a build to push people out the way but doesn’t seem to be yet be able to put the tackle in. On the other hand Tiote is a yellow card magnet so i guess yo cannot win, but i do feel we are missing the hard working type of player that never stops running and is not afraid to put there foot in.

Well lets hope some of these injured players start to coem back soon and that we regain some spirit.

• 108 hazzy // Nov 23, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I disagree with everything angryman says
    Anita has so much more potential than tiote.
    Tiote can’t pass forward and i genuinely fear everytime he gets pressured on the ball because he just blind passes it backwards.
    I don’t doubt for one second ashley wants a sustainable business model in the hope he may eventually make money but if he was happy with a midtable team then he would be waiting aroubd 20 years before ever making a profit

• 109 Wendall // Nov 23, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Catchy,

Spread all the sack Pardew crap. Guess what, its probably “fan” like you that started the sack sir bobby sentiment that started the club in the downward spiral we finally managed to get out of 2 seasons ago. Be careful of what you wish for.

• 110 Jinky Jim // Nov 23, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Still can not work out which is the worst. Pardew’s tactics
    or conaldo’s comments.