The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Can Fringe Players Do The Job For Newcastle?

10:07 am, Saturday, November 24th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

Newcastle’s last five results have been very disappointing since the lucky 2-1 win over West Brom, and in those games we drew at Liverpool which was a decent result – drew at Club Brugge after going two goals down, and then we had two home defeats against West Ham and Swansea, and the side could only manage a 1-1 draw against Maritimo on Thursday, who are bottom of Group D in the Europa league with only 3 points.

James Perch - could play some part tomorrow at Southampton

So in the last five games we have suffered two defeats and no wins, and that’s hardly what we expected from those games, and add to that the fact we have lost some top players through injury – the latest ones being French stars Yohan Cabaye and Ben Arfa – and things did not look too good yesterday.

But potentially good news today that Papiss Cisse could be fit to play tomorrow, and Jonas Gutierrez and James Perch are in full training and likely to participate at some stage in tomorrow’s game.

So Newcastle will need to rely on some of the fringe players until the other stars return, and Alan Pardew is buoyed by what happened during the African Cup of Nations last year:

“I look back to last season and remember when the guys were going to the African Nations.” “We looked at the group and thought, ‘Wow’. We were about eighth or something, and we thought, ‘This is the defining part of the season for us’.

“We actually ended up in a stronger position for the boys to come back to, and I’m hoping that is the case again this time. We’re looking to the squad to grind us out a couple of wins in this period, and then the big players will be back.”

Newcastle have slumped in the league table, and we just have to try to pick up points from out next two games at Southampton and Stoke City – so it’s up to the players who are coming in and getting their chance – to take it with both feet – since we cannot afford to sink any lower in the Premier League.

We’ll know by next Thursday, after the game at Southampton and Stoke,  whether the fringe players are good enough to get the job done for Newcastle.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Injuries · James Perch · Jonas Gutierrez · Newcastle News

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jan Stavik // Nov 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Probably it will be no difference as a few the “big guns” have not performed particularly well this season. I’m afraid we’ll not get many points from the next two, Soton and Stoke will throw all they have at our shaky defence.

• 2 89Norcal // Nov 24, 2012 at 10:15 AM

What worries me about tomorrow’s game, aside from our poor form and injuries, is that we are playing another side that are desperate for a victory.

I hope we can pull it off, and with some of the subs getting a shot I imagine we will see some solid effort from our players tomorrow.

• 3 Transfer Sage // Nov 24, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I’m have confidence this team can go and get a result.

I’m go with:

Krul
    Simmo, willo, Saylor, santon
    Tiote, Anita
    Marvoux, Jonas, fergie
    Ba

It’s a game where we need to be solid and get a win. It’s not about the performance at Southampton. We need to stop the slump anyway possible then look to build performances. Ideally get both tomorrow but the result is the key thing at the moment.

• 4 89Norcal // Nov 24, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Transfer Sage,

I quite like that formation you’ve proposed, but have we ever done a 4-2-3-1? I know I’m always asking this of people’s suggestions, but you know how Pards is :)

With those 3 behind him, and santon on the left side, I would fully expect the crosses to be raining in on Ba’s shiny head.

• 5 Transfer Sage // Nov 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM

89norcal

Hopefully with Southampton winning last week they might ease off a little as, although its still important for them to win, they aren’t as desperate before.

• 6 Transfer Sage // Nov 24, 2012 at 10:23 AM

We started that way against maritimo

With bigi and Anita holding

The we have Ben arfa, marvoux and sammy as the 3 behind cisse.

It was looking ok until Ben arfa had to go off

• 7 89Norcal // Nov 24, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Sage,

True, as long as our damn midfield can connect consecutive passes we should be in good shape. Our defense really hasn’t been too awful apart from some errors, but they seem to come from heavy pressure when we can’t hold possession.

• 8 89Norcal // Nov 24, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Sage #6,

Ah, ok. Missed most of the Maritimo game. Good on Pardew for mixing it up. Shame about all the injuries

• 9 nico // Nov 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I hate to say this but I can see us losing comfortably tomorrow. I think we need to attack Southampton because thats where their weakness is. Sadly, this season our attacking play has been awful.
    3-1 defeat

• 10 sirtoongospel // Nov 24, 2012 at 10:26 AM

TransferSage…..

from the previous thread. I agree that Krul would have every chance of being number 1 in their team. Colo would have a chance, Cabaye would replace Carrick easily but aftet that I am not sure. Cisse might have a chance as Fergie likes finishers, but as you say, him Ba and HBA would be benchwarmers. I don’t think HBA would get picked every game. Aftet that he wouldn’t thank us for any of our players with the exception of Santon. That amount to try and get in a squad of 20 odd shows how far behind them we are.

As for Mancini, he is proving to be a poor manager. The mony spent there is insane, and he is a woeful man manager.

My main point though is that the squad here isn’t as good as some seem to think. We have a very good first 11, then it drops badly aftet that. And at no point have had our first 11 on the pitch. When we do, I am sure we will improve and get the results we need.

Injuries this season to Krul, Raylor, Perch, Colo, Tiote, Cabaye, Jonas, Simpson,Vukcic and now HBA have lead to multiple missed games through injury, nearly always 2 or more at a time. Added to the suspensions of Cheick and Colo and we have never had a chance to get into any rhythm.

We all knew that we were short of around 3 players in the Summer, and because the owner didn’t invest, (when surely the manager deserved support?) we have been left thin on the ground.

Cabaye has tried to play with injury as has Demba, Papiss, and others, which is crazy. Ashley is responsible for our struggles this season, and the manager more than deserves the chance to turn us around. We are nowhere near a crisis yet, and hopefully a cracking CM playerwill arrive in January, because when Cheick doesn’t play, we are so lightweigt it’s ridiculous.

I am happy to give Anita time but he looks up against it in this league.

• 11 nico // Nov 24, 2012 at 10:28 AM

sirtoongospel
    Do you ever think Anita will be good enough?
    I think he is awful

• 12 89Norcal // Nov 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Anita has a great workrate and I’ve seen him break up play more than a few times, but he IS somewhat small as a defensive midfielder in the Premier League. But imo it’s all about heart, and I believe he’s got it. It’s not as if every premier league side is filled with massive brutes in their midfield.

• 13 nico // Nov 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM

The problem with Anita is that he has no actual position. I’ve seen him play okay at right back, but in midfield he looks lost. He also doesn’t seem to have the energy to get up and down.
    We desperately need a good quality attacking midfielder who can get into the box and support the forwards, notch the odd goal, Nolan like.

previous post: These Three Players Could Give Newcastle A Big Lift Tomorrow