The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew Quite Happy To Get The Sack From Southampton

9:22 am, Saturday, November 24th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 7 Comments

Nicola Cortese is a former Italian banker who was appointed Executive Chairman of Southampton Football Club, in August of 2009, and that was one month after Alan Pardew had been appointed manager.   Alan lasted a year under Nicola Cortese, but he was fired by the Southampton Chairman in August of 2010, after a difficult start in the league, and he of course joined Newcastle in early December of that same year, after Chris Hughton had been surprisingly fired by Mike Ashley.

Nicola Cortese – Southampton Chairman – sacked Pardew

It doesn’t seem that Alan was too upset about being fired form Southampton, because he just couldn’t get along with the Chairman:

“If I’m honest, I was quite happy about it.” “I thought I’d done a good job, but it was proving to be very, very difficult to work with the owner.” “I wouldn’t have jumped before I was pushed, but it was a difficult period working with Mr Cortese.”

“We just didn’t see eye to eye. There was no nastiness in there, he just didn’t want me as his manager and I think that was obviously coming through to me.” “I had a great relationship with the fans though and our performances were strong bearing in mind we had minus ten points and didn’t really have a starting XI when I arrived.”

“I signed Ricky Lambert when he was 28 for £1M and said to the chairman at the time that he could play in the Premier League,” said the Magpies manager. “A lot of people ummed’ and ahhed about him, but he has proved me right and I’m pleased for him because he is such a super lad.”

“I look forward to seeing him and a few others, but I’m obviously hoping he’s not going to score because he’s very effective.” “I don’t think he has ever missed a penalty for Southampton and he has the best shot, power wise, that I have ever worked with so he is a handful.”

When there was a poll on whether Southampton fans wanted him to stay, over 80% of the fans wanted him to stay, and Alan brought in some great players – who are still at the club – and of course he led Southampton to the 2010 Football League Trophy Final at Wembley, where they won 4–1 against Carlisle United.

That was Southampton’s first trophy since 1976, but it wasn’t enough for Alan to keep his job.

Pardew gave midfielder Adam Lallana his first opportunity, and worked with Kelvin Davis, Jose Fonte and Jason Puncheon, and he bought then 28 year-old Rickie Lambert, from Bristol Rovers for just £1M.

Alan seems to get on well with both Derek LLambias and owner Mike Ashley at Newcastle and they usually seem to be on the same page together.

And we hope that have agreed Newcastle need new players in during the January transfer window to solidify our squad, which is simply too small.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 catchy in norway // Nov 24, 2012 at 9:33 AM

50 to 1 to be sacked next, pretty long odds

but watch those odds tumble in the coming weeks

lets hope he is as happy to get sacked from here, he is just being arogant and selfish by tryin to prove his way is the right way

• 2 catchy in norway // Nov 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM

IBIZA

I HOPE YOU HAD A GOOD DAY

• 3 alex84 // Nov 24, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Catchy, do you actually think MA is going to sack him?

• 4 sirtoongospel // Nov 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Catchy, in response to your post I missed last night. You say we have so many offensive players, and that Pardew makes us defensive. I would argue that most of the offensive players we have are not good enough. HBA either scores a wonder goal or has an average game, but he is our best player by a mile in midfield. Other than that, only Sammy will take people on and get to the bi-line. And he isn’t ready yet. The rest look to pass, but their movement is awful. They pass and stand still. Only cabaye looks to give people an option. He is a great player made to look average at the minute. Why is that? Because there are NO OPTIONS for him every time he looks up. So after 2 or 3 negative passes comes the hoof to Demba. If the players were that good they would pass an move and play through teams easily. Cisse craves an early through ball, makes runs constantly. Watch him in games and he can’t understand why they don’t pass earlier. Last season cabaye was the one who found him with through balls, this season Ba is up top and he doesn’t make runs. He is quite static. A better player than Cisse as in all round game, but Cisse is the one to get in behind. I am convinced that BA and Cisse could play together but they need the right blend in midfield, and we don’t have it in our squad just now. Wingers are not good enough and centre mid is missing someone to drive forward.

I am convinced that if Ferguson was our manager we would do no better. Mancini would take us down!!! The only one who could change our style with the players we have is Wenger. But even he gets grief for having no cutting edge.

While you are wanting Pardew out, you have to have someone who would a) take the job, and b) improve us. So who would you get? Personally I am happy with last seasons manager of the year. I would be gutted if he left and am sure he will turn us around after January.

• 5 stuart no9 // Nov 24, 2012 at 10:02 AM

sirtoongospel @4 WHY have we no options for cabeye other than to hoof it/ what needs to be done to change that?

• 6 lesh // Nov 24, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Catchy and others on the sack Pardew bit, please give it a rest, be mature, be positive and use your loaves – sacking him will likely lead to the drop.

If that’s what you want, I just don;t know how you can even think of yourselves of Newcastle United!

• 7 lesh // Nov 24, 2012 at 1:39 PM

* key words, as supporters missing:

If that’s what you want, I just don;t know how you can even think of yourselves as supporters of Newcastle United!

previous post: Reports On Spanish Striker Signing Not True