The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Southampton Loss Would Be Calamity For Newcastle

9:41 am, Sunday, November 25th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 36 Comments

Newcastle are hardly at their strongest for today’s game with Southampton at St. Mary’s, but with the  Saints being second bottom of the Premier League with only 8 points from their 12 games, you would still think Newcastle can go there and get something out of this game.

Alan Pardew – returns to previous club Southampton today

And with our poor results of late, we’d even be happy enough with a draw, and a win would be fantastic, and certainly would lift the spirits of Newcastle fans everywhere.

But Southampton are full of confidence right now, after winning 3-1 at QPR last weekend in the crunch match between the bottom sides in the Premier league, and QPR were rather subdued in that game.

And that listless display finally cost Mark Hughes his job, and he was fired on Friday and replaced by former Spurs boss Harry Redknapp, who was at Old Trafford yesterday in the stands,  as QPR played well but still went down 3-1 to the Red Devils.

Harry will take his first training session today.

The result that will be very hard to take today today for Newcastle fans  is a Southampton win, because that will really put us further down in the dumps, so we have to expect every Newcastle player to go out there and play their hearts out for the black and whites.

This is a big game for Newcastle, make no mistake about that, and it’s a good one to start turning our fortunes around this season, and even get on the winning track again.

But a loss today would be simply catastrophic.

Let us know how you think the game will go today:

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Southampton?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

And for the Newcastle fans in France here is new web-site that’s just been created.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Premier League

36 responses so far ↓

• 1 ginkoh // Nov 25, 2012 at 9:49 AM

At least give it 100% and let’s see what we deserved.

• 2 ashwin say's // Nov 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM

go lads fetch the bloody 3 points

• 3 obatoyou // Nov 25, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Bet on Southampton so I’ll be barracking for them tonight but good luck to us anyhow

• 4 catchy in norway // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:00 AM

ohoh

he has a dubbly hard game today,, all these wonderfull players he signed for southampton could be the giuys that put another nail in his coffin today

away from home we have not won,

its with one of our boggy teams

if they should win that puts them 3 points behind us

• 5 jonobbad // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Happy enough with a draw.
    I want whatever ed is smoking.
    I will not be happy with a draw and I don’t think any nufc fan would be

• 6 Rotonda heights // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I know it didn’t quite come off the other night but I hope Pardew is brave enough to stick with that first half formation.

At least there was no hoof ball in that first half. It crept in a bit 2nd half when benny went off as the others didn’t seem to know what to do when they actually had possession!

Ed you say losing would be a calamity but if a guy has an 8 year contract he’s untouchable no matter how bad we do and complacency can also creep in.

• 7 catchy in norway // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:07 AM

jonobbad

if he had of won against WH and SWAN then a draw would not have been so bad,
    but
    losing at home to these team puts more preasure on the the team to win at places like southamton,,

he is creating a rod for his own back , by playing negative football

• 8 BelfastMagpie // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Yep hope he sticks with the same formation & plays Marveaux were Ben Arfa was playing the other nyt.

• 9 davybtoon // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Don’t care how crap we are u never bet us to lose its just an in written law of a football fan

• 10 Tsunki // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Stuart no 9 – not really an insult just an observation on someone who makes a crass remark then goes off. Its what you expected when you did it anyway, wasnt it? ;)

jonnobad – What insult? I was merely seeing if he would reply by using the same crass technique as he did. Ok I went below my bar but hey, when in rome….Strange how you did not raise your comment to actually adding any value to your stance i.e. express a valid NUFC- related opinion.

Catchy – Lowered expectations is a sort of joke. What I really mean is I am realistic, I dont shoot for the moon when I see a crack in the ceiling, and I dont feel I am falling into the void when a crack appears in the floor. Knee-jerk sums up the problem of ans who see imminent destruction after a string of so-so results. Sack the manager? Come on man, what would we get instead at this moment in time? Think man think ha ha :)

For the record we will probably scrape an ugly draw today, and we will continue with a middling season for a few more games, a shame since we have a run of winnable ones. I think the end of season will be better with a new signing or two and fitness problems eased. If tactics seem to continue to hobble goo players, I may consider joining the neggers brigade at the beginning of next season, transfer business (or lack of it) permitting.

• 11 JDdubai // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Come on pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease take ur fingers out and play some decent stuff. I used to look forward to matchday last season nd reading all the papers saying how good we were, now it just depresses me :(

For the record:

Krul
    Simmo-Willo-Saylor-santon
    Tiote-Jonas
    Obertan-Marveaux-Sammy
    Ba

IMO only Marveaux, Cabaye and HBA should play behind the striker as only ones with a good enough touch and technical ability.

Am sure it will be 442 or some horrendous monstrosity with Ba and Cisse shoved together again if Papiss is fit but fingers crossed Im wrong….

• 12 BiffBaffBoff // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Every week I hope its the week where our season starts, because lets face it, we havent performed in one game this season for 90 minutes. But by the same token, our squad gets weaker every game it seems, so I can’t see our season starting today, sadly.

• 13 Dimitri // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Somehow I could see how the game will go. We play our hearts out at first, then against the run of play, we concede, then we panic, our players try to shoot from long range, unsuccessfully try to dribble past the whole team, finally scores the equaliser, wrongfully ruled out for offside, we continue to pump long balls, time runs out, pardew blames bad ref decisions, I log in to nufcblog to read end-of-the-world statements.

• 14 Tsunki // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:10 AM

*good players, we already have goo ones :)

• 15 Tsunki // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:10 AM

anyway I have to go now, just warning you…

• 16 davybtoon // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Yea agree go with 4231 again marveux behind ba with obertan n sammi on the wings if fit then go tiote jonas dm n Anita can go to full back

• 17 jonobbad // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Catchy I agree. But we didn’t win them so in my opinion a draw to Southampton would be a terrible result.
    If we can’t pick up 3 points to kick start our season against Southampton, then who?

• 18 Tsunki // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:11 AM

…in case you expect a reply…

• 19 Rotonda heights // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:13 AM

davybtoon // Nov 25, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Toon win today no excuses even with injuries n suspensions we should hav to much
    Krul
    Simpson willo Taylor santon
    Anita tiote jonas
    Obertan ba marveux
    That’s Is practically are best 11 apart from 3 players

* * * * * * * *

Yeah I’d go for that. I worry if we keep sinking that we will end up hoofing and be even more negative even more than usual.

The other night cisses goal should have stood and with benny playing well pardew could have seen it was the way to go. It was like it was cursed!!

• 20 jonobbad // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Playing with crayons, drumming his brain up.
    There’s snippets of two insults tsunki.
    But as usual it’s selective memories again.

• 21 bills-son // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Today’s match is as much about character as ability. We aren”t playing well, we aren’t winning and we’ve got our one real creative player,HBA, out injured, plus no Colo or Cabaye.

Southampton will really fancy their chances and so will their fans. We need some bottle, battle and leadership in this game to get anything out of it. If we wimp to a defeat it will be totally unacceptable to us fans. It’s games like this where managers find out if the team are with them. I hope for Pards sake they are.

• 22 Dimitri // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM

We were supposed to have kickstarted our season on every game since the mackem game

• 23 Rotonda heights // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Dimitri

sadly summed it up perfectly!

• 24 catchy in norway // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Tsunki

fair enough on the lower expectations

but also its not a knee jerk reaction from me, and a few others,
    this for me has been coming for a long time, and i base that on the football, not the guy
    i have said onhere before, i did not want CH to be our boss, but we had few options availeble to us , i went with the situation and the guy proved me wrong,

AP came into a fairly settled club, had good players, but got better ones, and the football has gone backwards

results were good last season
    the table looked great last seaon

the footballl is even more shit than last year
    the results have not been good,
    from the shit football we play how can we expect to beat team?

it has been sasid by lots of supporters of other clubs he has been at , u get 1 good season out of him,

his first half season, he finished 12th exactly where he took over from CH
    last season was a fluke in my eyes, for variuos reasons

get him out before we go down again

• 25 woolerbill // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I see the pre match vote is for us to get beat. There’s not many votes yet, but it’s still a bad fan vote.

• 26 jonobbad // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Catchy.
    You do make a lot of good points and I agree with most, but I think pards should be given to the end of the season.
    My question to you is who would you replace him with now?

• 27 jonobbad // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM

And I don’t think we will be relegated, but i didn’t in 2009 either.

• 28 Super Magpie // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM

• 29 magpie6699 // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I think “calamity” is a bit of hyperbole, Ed. Yes, losing 3 PL games in a row is very worrying but there’s still a long way to go and we are on our uppers as far as putting out a strong team. I can’t help coming back to David Moyes – often regarded as one of the best managers without loads of money to splash around. And I can think of many seasons where his Everton team have had dreadful runs of form – but the hierarchy and for the most part the fans have stuck with him and he’s got hem through it each time. Don’t panic!
    Anybody know what the weather’s been like down there? Sounds as if it’s awful (it’s pretty crappy here at the moment!) and I wondered if there were any postponements?

• 30 Graeme // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Wooler, I thought I was being a bit pessimistic when I went for a draw. To see the vast majority had gone for a defeat was a shock!!!

• 31 Super Magpie // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Given our injury crisis we’ll do well to come away with a point today.

Team for tomorrow? I’m really struggling…

Krul
    Simpson Williamson Saylor Santon
    Tiote Jonas
    Sammy Marveaux Ferguson
    Ba

Subs- Elliot Tavernier Anita Perch Amalifitano Cisse Ranger

That team hardly strikes any confidence into me. We’ll do well to come away with anything tomorrow.

Likely team-

Krul
    Simpson Williamson Saylor Santon
    Sammy Tiote Perch Jonas
    Ba Cisse

Subs- Elliot Tavernier Anita Marveaux Ferguson Amalifitano Ranger

That team is even worse. We desperately need a few players. Those teams show how much quality in depth we lack.

• 32 davybtoon // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Stop with negativity ffs win today we could go as high as 8th n with the midweek fixtures we Cud b as High as 5th

Sacking the manager will not achieve anything how often has pardew had are strongest 11 available this season think its twice
    Nothing has changed from last other than we’ve been hit bad by injuries n suspensions

• 33 blew // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:45 AM

It will come down to fighting spirit and who wants to win more than the other. The mere thought of which is depressing, we lack those qualities, even with 11 purples playing. I can only hope.

• 34 breno95 // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Does anybody posting on here know the contract situations of Debuchy, Douglas, Pieters and Sissoko?
    As far as I am aware they are all out of contract at the end of this current season. If that is the position why is a fee for Debuchy being quoted by Ed as 6-8m and a few others? Surely if their contracts are expiring then offers of 2m for each would be realistic as their current clubs would get nothing in the summer or we try and get them to sign pre contract agreements to come in the summer.
    Another point of note on transfers – the new TV deal kicks in from the 2013-14 season and the money clubs will get from TV etc next year is going up significantly which I am sure will not have gone unnoticed by Ashley. That factor on it’s own makes me pretty confident that the squad will be strengthened in the winter window as Ashley will want to be part of the EPL from next year due to the vastly increased monies clubs will receive and the difference is massive which will all go towards the financial plan of the club being self sufficient and also more attractive to potential investors/buyers.

• 35 jasper // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:52 AM

On Thursday Maratimo, no better than a championship side, worked out that if they press us we give them the ball, either by losing it directly or via a hoof upfield
    Soton will know this and will look to get after us whenever we have the ball. They know that lack of ball retention is our Achilles heel.
    In the second half I counted only two occasions where we made 10+ consecutive passes – and on each occasion we created a good chance.
    So if we support the ball carrier, move the ball around and look for the opportunity to get a pass to feet in the box, or to get to the byline for a cross into the 6 yard box we will win. If we fall back on long balls and ambitious over optimistic dribbling with the ball (exciting but how many sorties by Santon have produced a goal?) then we will be stuffed.

• 36 bills-son // Nov 25, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Davybtoon, I agree that a big problem and a reason for our poor results is injuries, suspensions and no settled team. However, that doesn’t excuse lack of effort and commitment. I’m not saying I have seen much real evidence of that but today’s game will tell us alot imo about Pardew and the players – especially if we concede first. When things get tough some players, at all levels, start to hide in games and blame everyone but themselves. Its the managers job to put out a team of eleven motivated players even if they aren’t his best eleven skillwise. I’lm no doom monger or knee jerker as most on here know but I’ll admit I’m getting a bit concerned about the motivation and commitment of some of our players. I want to see today that that concern is unfounded.

previous post: Newcastle Continue To Be Linked With Argentine Winger