The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle In For Serbian International Forward?

9:53 pm, Monday, November 26th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 30 Comments

Serbian International forward Miralem Sulejmani wants to leave Ajax in January, and there are reports that both Newcastle United and West Ham are interested in the player, who can play striker or out on the wing.

Miralem Sulejmani – five year contrast runs out next summer

Miralem joined Ajax from Heerenven in the summer of 2008 for a massive €16M, which is around £12.8M, and that’s not a small fee, and in fact it broke the Dutch transfer-record, with the previous record also having been between the two Eredivisie clubs for Klaas-Jan Huntelaar back in 2005.

Since joining Ajax Sulejmani has played 156 games and scored 38 goals, but this season he has made only 8 appearances for the Dutch Champions,

And the reason he has been used so little this season, is that he seems to have fallen out of favor at Ajax, and he has been linked with a move to England for a while now – and he could well get his wish in the January transfer window.

Sulejmani has been hit with a lot of injuries, so that may be a red flag for some clubs, but there’s no doubt that the 12 times capped Serbian International, who has also played 19 times for the Serbian U21 side – has skills galore.

This is what Sulejmani had to say about his situation:

“I must now focus on games in the reserves.” “I have to get game time in order to be fully fit during the winter, when I will get a chance to leave.”

It seems that West Ham United were close to getting the player in the summer, and they could well be in the driver’s seat for the Serbian.

The good news is that the player’s five year contract runs out in the summer, so he could be brought to Newcastle for a small fee in January, and that would appear to be another possible bargain buy for the Magpies.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

30 responses so far ↓

• 1 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 26, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I’m sorry, did ed spill his coffee on his keyboard in the last paragraph or something :)

• 2 RonVanDam // Nov 26, 2012 at 9:56 PM

38 goals in 156 games? Wouldnt payment 13m for him.

• 3 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 26, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Ah he’s change it now.
    Ignore that.

Hmm leave on a poor joke…

A war horse walked into a bar
    Barman said “why the long film”
    :) well I laughed anyway…

• 4 Super Magpie // Nov 26, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Wizard

It looks like you do, I don’t think I could cope with that. And I thought the my flight was bad, that sounds like hell. :D
    Anyway it’s time for me to depart, take care.

• 5 Catchy In Straight Jacket // Nov 26, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I once played against this guy in fifa.
    Please sign him.

• 6 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 26, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Catchiz – are you doing Kets aswell now? :)

• 7 RonVanDam // Nov 26, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Our team building needs to start from the back. We need to strengthen our defence first – need atleast 3 defenders for Europe and PL fixtures and for injury or suspension cover.
    Then Creative Midfielders and attacking pacey wingers who can actually cross and feed our strikers. Need atleast 2
    Need 1 more striker. Remy would be a good addition. and will bloster attack if we play in the 4-3-3 format. We already have Shola, Campbell and Oberton can play as a striker.

Just a question – anyone here apart from me who thinks Shola should also be tried at CB? Has the presence and can command team from the back

• 8 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 26, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Ta ta

• 9 Catchy In Straight Jacket // Nov 26, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Im thinking about doing a Catchy/Kets combo m8.

Catchy & kets in straight jacket.

• 10 Toon Tang // Nov 26, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Best Premier League strike partnerships:

First place – 1993-94: Andy Cole & Peter Beardsley, Newcastle United, 55 goals. (42-game season)

WE NEED THIS ASHLEY – clone them or something, im sure you could fund it

• 11 MagpiesFlyHigh // Nov 26, 2012 at 10:12 PM

MagpiesFlyHigh // Nov 26, 2012 at 10:10 PM

A lot of fans on here are lashing out at the Manager, Owner, MD, various players, our small squad, and even the over-expectation in SJP from fans for the current yo-yo downslide.

A lot of mid ranking teams (and we are) yo-yo from one season to another but there doesn’t seem a magic wand way out… like changing formation, playing the youngsters, spending £30m+.
    We could easily lose the next few games too.

Its a confidence thing. And confidence brings luck. with it. Okay, so we have half a side of journeymen, and need to strengthen, but average players can play well enough to deliver decent results if they are on form. Neither our flair players or second rankers are playing well, those who are not injured or suspended.

If the side doesn’t gel they won’t win.

The test of a really good manager isn’t how he performs when the team are playing well, its how he deals with the inevitable drops in form, bad luck and injuries. AP handled last season pretty well, but he doesn’t seem to have the toolkit necessary to pick the side up, turn our fortunes around and build squad confidence. This has nothing to do with tactics or formations. Its a much more complex set of skills needed.

TBH it is far too soon to judge, but the signs are all there that AP is a fair weather manager. If he doesn’t succeed in getting us the bounce back by the end of January, then I’ll join those who are wanting a replacement, because another ten games with only a handful of points and it’ll be obvious he hasn’t got the ability to manage the pick-up. Until then he has my support. Being Toon manager is one of the hardest jobs in the EPL and he deserves our support as much of our current circumstances and lack of strengthening are not his direct responsibility despite what the blamegamers on here think.

Even brilliant managers have teams who have drops in form, what matters is how quickly they get out of it.

Patience is not a football fan (or owner) quality as its so results driven. AP has made huge improvements during his time at SJP, and lets all hope he is a quick learner and get can us out this situation.

This is my last post on here for the forseeable future. I’m not going to come back under another name. I’m totally demoralised by the fans on here who repeat the same tedious post dozens of times, bang out the same negative message, and sidetrack those guys with whom you could have a good craic, bit of banter and argument about the Toon. The blog is being dragged down and life’s too short to try to argue with no-hopers.

See you all at the end of the January window. This will finally prove what our revered owner really wants for the club. No way can any manager succeed with an owner with low expectations. The worst thing for us will be if the owner settles for mid table mediocrity and AP can’t turn our form round.

Meanwhile …. HWTL !!

(and mine is a STRAIT jacket)

• 12 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 26, 2012 at 10:17 PM

MFH – that’s a real shame but I can’t say I blame you. I guess we’ll see you in January and we’ll have better things to talk about. HWTL.

• 13 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Nov 26, 2012 at 10:17 PM

MFH – that’s a real shame but I can’t say I blame you. I guess we’ll see you in January and we’ll hopefully have better things to talk about HWTL

• 14 Catchy In Straight Jacket // Nov 26, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Hey im the only one in a straight jacket..

• 15 RonVanDam // Nov 26, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Heres a Rumour that Roma will offer 6.5m for Santon in Jan

• 16 soundoid // Nov 26, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I’m not from Newcastle.

I was never really in to football as a kid.

I went many years ago to study music at Newcastle college. All my friends at college were locals and they convinced me to go to a game one day. The manager at the time was Kevin keegan and I’d seen on the news that club had sold Andy Cole.

The game was against Norwich if I remember it right and Paul Kitson was the striker. My friends told me that everyone in the toon were really down about the sale and that I had to cheer and be loud because things weren’t looking good and it was an important match.

Anyway, I had a great time the atmosphere was magic. the game stopped for a bit for an injury and someone behind us had some kind of air horn that sounded like a ambulance that they let off when the stretcher came on and laughter rolled round the stadium.

I liked this.

The game started again Kitson had the ball he attacked.

He lost the ball.

He won it back.

He lost the ball.

He won it back.

All this time a little fella in the black and white was just stood at the right side of the pitch not moving waving his arms above his head.

Kitson looked up.

I read the name on the back of the little fella shirt It said Beardsley.

Kitson passed to Beardsley. He put his foot on it and looked up and lashed a curling shot that seemed to hang in the air. The goal keeper watched it sail past him.

The most stunning goal I have ever seen.

Been a fan ever since.

We are Newcastle United. Remember that.

• 17 hotdog // Nov 26, 2012 at 11:27 PM

MFH – your the one wanting the winter break ;-)

Good final post bud, totally agree. If we don’t sign a quality centre back in jan ill be putting myself in exile also!

• 18 Sav // Nov 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM

A series of injuries should be a red flag for us as well. Its what has held back Marveaux, another talented winger with a touch of the Kieron Dyers. No thanks. Although the ‘free in the summer’ phrase will no doubt prick Mashley’s ears.
    Another point altogether, what’s this about Curtis Goode being ‘rested’ at his new loan club, Bradford City, after training fatigue??? Is their training so rigorous or have the coaching staff gone soft at the Toon? Never heard of that one before.

• 19 beefman13 // Nov 26, 2012 at 11:31 PM

lads our squad in my opinion is ok even at the moment, we have qualified for the last 32 of the europa with so called fringe players even though the Europa team for me have played as good easily as the prem team AP normally puts out, so with that in mind the squad can’t be that weak, after all a lot of decent teams have not made the last 32, for me it’s Alan Parsees tactics which are far to rigid and stale, my god those two up front on Sunday were nothing short of a disaster playing together, yea they have scored goals but not through their own teamwork/understanding which is zilch from what I can see, in fact the worst partnership I have ever seen at the toon, not as individuals but as striking partners they are horrible beyond belief, it’s bloody tactics AP is getting wrong u really so think we have the players he just keeps ballsing the tactics up, I’m not calling for his head far from it, but we all can’t be wrong as I’m sure most feel like I do concerning tactics, he looks very limited which is making the players look worse than they are.

• 20 DarloGeordie // Nov 26, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Conaldo

“Have to say, striker has to be our last priority”

We just lost to souphampton 2 – NIL, Ba is our only real striker atm, Cisse couldnt hit a barn door this season, our back up is Ameobi and Ranger (go figure) and our midfielders arent chipping in bar Ben Arfa because Pardew has 25 defensive midfielders in the squad….

Believe me when i say this we need goals…………… desperately

• 21 soundoid // Nov 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM

He got it right for most of last season.

Not in the way most of us would like to see the game played, but like you said got us in to the europa league.

He’s not got shit over night he’s just got too much work to do. He’s a young manager don’t forget that.

He needs us man, he’s given us so much pride back and I feel we’re just going to throw it back in his face.

We the fans are the club. We haven’t got enough players with a full squad and we are down to 20 players!!!

If we give up it’s all over.

• 22 soundoid // Nov 26, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Don’t forget John carver deals with the attack unless i’ve missed a meeting.

• 23 solano // Nov 27, 2012 at 12:19 AM

It’s taken me quite a time to trawl through all of Ed’s articles and read the comments since last night…phew! Quite heavy going at times..though I actually read a little admission from Rotonda, almost an apology really, about how the club is ran which made me think the worm is slowly beginning to turn with some.
    What a terrible situation we find ourselves in – some are calling for the manager to be sacked, some the MD to be fired, some asking for money to be spent come January – and all are asking for MA to take action!
    He will stick with his ‘plan’ I’m afraid; there is no chance of him sacking Delboy as he is is right hand man and implements his masters wishes ruthlessly. Patsy’s position, despite his new contract is less safe because 1) the performances this season have been below par to say the least and his explanations for them even less so 2) his role of Patsy has him in an unenviable hinterland between the fans and the board, flip flopping and contradicting himself almost on a daily basis to ingratiate himself with the fans and then his employers.
    So, he may go at some stage this season (Phil Brown is available ;-) ) as he has no friends and only grudging respect because of his achievments last year.
    The likelihood of MA deviating from the rigid fiscal policy is unlikely and there is plenty of oral and written evidence and historical precedent to backup my opinion. If we are still in the stew come January, we are more likely to start horsetrading in case of relegation (as in Jan 2009) than to embark on an out of character spending spree to stay up. This scenario will not be helped by the appearance of one or two more of the perennial ‘Judas’ looking to ship out because of disillusionment/unwillingness to fight/opportunity to progress elsewhere (NB they are likely to be our best and most talented players)
    This may well sound as if it is all just Doomsday scenarios – and I admit it’s hardly uplifting! However it could happen -its happened before – and I hope to God it doesn’t this time round.
    What we have to do in the next few games is get some points, pure and simple and see if Pards can lift what we have left of our ill equipped squad. There is no doubt, even with injuries we should be doing a hell of a lot better than what has been served up lately. However, I find it very painful to watch Mike williamson suffer so much – it’s not his fault he is so limited and devoid of any confidence and it borders on the criminally insane how we are stuck with him because of board level tightwaddery. I hope Patsy can turn it around because simply, there will be no one else good enough who is willing to work with the gruesome twosome. Stoke just maybe (maybe!) – with their basic football by numbers style – exactly what we need on Wednesday. It was the scene last year, for me, of Pardews finest moment – tactically, physically and ability wise we murdered them. Let’s hope we can do that again at the Brittania instead of it becoming AP’s Waterloo this time round.
    We have got to turn this around because more defeats in quick succession make the snowball of relegation a lot quicker and bigger at a place like Newcastle. This will be compounded by the stubborness and simple lack of nous by those who run the club to be able to make the right decisions when they have the opportunity.
    Ian Toon referred to a popular and wise phrase in an earlier post ‘if we forget the lessons of the past we are condemned to repeat the same mistakes in the future’.
    This should apply not only to those who make the decisions at NE1 but to the thousands of fans who have witnessed the last few years under this regime. If it all goes pear shaped then the one ultimatley responsible is the owner who dictates policy – and he should not be let off the hook next time round!

• 24 soundoid // Nov 27, 2012 at 12:46 AM

If god is a Geordie the trent will flood tonight and tomorrow and the game will be called off.

In reality it might get worse before it gets better.

The team needs our support.

Thats what we do and we should start doing it because the rest of the football world will say they used to be the best supporters in the the world….

and now?

• 25 Mister Tuff // Nov 27, 2012 at 1:22 AM

The Newcastle team against Soton contained 8 or 9 international players. I don’t think Sotons team have any internationals. On paper we should be walloping teams like that -I’m not saying that we have a divine right to beat everybody -but Soton -worst defence in the league. When a player like Tiote starts to give up chasing people -this signifies to me there is something very wrong going on somewhere. Tiote would never let anyone get away from him -his trade mark was chasing after them -like a dog snapping at their heels. We also appeared to be very disorganised at times -with players running all over the place/out of position.
    I fear Stoke are going to subject us to an aerial bombardment -it is going to be very interesting to see how we cope – hopefully Pardew has read the riot act.
    Sacking Pardew now is probably not the answer – Ashley would probably bring in some useless buffoon who will get everbodys’ back up.
    We need to tough it out to January.

• 26 RonVanDam // Nov 27, 2012 at 1:45 AM

@ soundoid – you are a real positive fella.

• 27 RonVanDam // Nov 27, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Since Pep Guardiola wont be the next Brazilian coach. Why cant MA open his chq book and lure Pep to coach us. HBA can play the role of Messi and Cabaye of Iniesta. Rest of the Chips will fall into place. Our first Silverware in forever wont look too distant after this.If this could only happen….. one can only dream :)

• 28 JDdubai // Nov 27, 2012 at 4:02 AM

Simmo could be Daniel Alves, Willo=Pique, Perch=Xavi etc etc

• 29 chris_g // Nov 27, 2012 at 4:05 AM

MFH @11
    Brilliant post. Totally agree with everything you said there

Catchy @14
    I think MFH’s little comment at the end of his post was simply to point out the wrong spelling in your username. It should be STRAITjacket, not STRAIGHTjacket

• 30 obatoyou // Nov 27, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Love all your long posts, wish I had time to read them, solano you are very learned, like a nobby free kick, u got the guile and accuracy, I agree wit everythin u say!

previous post: Newcastle French Target Available For £10M In January

next post: David Santon To Leave Newcastle In January?