The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – Newcastle Talking About January Transfers

10:54 am, Wednesday, November 28th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 31 Comments

Alan Pardew has said that the coaches and the Newcastle Board are talking about transfers, but nothing can be decided until we get nearer to January 1st, but Alan Pardew did reveal the injury to Yohan Cabaye has caused Newcastle a problem.

Alan Pardew – talking about transfers – but nothing decided

And Newcastle will be without Cheick Tiote in January to the African Cup of Nations (AFCON), and maybe also Shola Ameobi, but we wonder if the local lad will have second thoughts of playing in South Africa fo Nigeria, if Newcastle are in a relegation battle at the end of the year?

It’s not surprising that Alan didn’t want to go into depth about which targets Newcastle may have in January, but he did have this to say:

“I think it is unfair to talk about transfers.” “I have an injury room with 10 great players in there. That has not gone unnoticed.” “Are we talking about it as a staff, directors and chairman? Of course we are.”

“But I don’t want to publicly say who our targets are or where we are looking.” “At the minute, it is a moving feast. We have lost Cabaye and that has given us a problem.” “We have to get past December before we can really start focusing on what we do in January.”

We wonder if this means that Newcastle will increase their efforts to get Toulouse French International box-to-box midfielder Moussa Sissoko into the club, because he could fill in for Yohan Cabaye while he’s out,  and since Moussa’s contract runs out in the summer, Newcastle could get him for a nominal fee in January.

We hope that’s the case, because Moussa would be terrific value, and he’s always talked in lyrical terms about Newcastle, but lots of other clubs including Arsenal, are also interested in the 23 year-old Frenchman, and that’s hardly surprising.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

31 responses so far ↓

• 1 mattyNUFC // Nov 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Ian Toon – repost – third edition – ed’s got the fire in his fingers right now

You mentioned a few articles back that, in reference to Mike Williamson and his cowardice on the ball, etcetera, that you cannot ‘teach a dog new tricks’.

Can the same not be said of Pardew? I know you’re one of the most ardent, boisterous pro-Pardew-ers and haggle over the injury ‘crisis’ as being one of the main catalysts to our current form, unable to accept this was undeniably a continuation of our form even with all of our ‘purples’, so I posit this to you: after admittedly horrendous, near-lifeless showings against West Ham and Swansea (will not try to prevail earlier with you, so just those two matches in mind) did you honestly believe Pardew would NOT shake things up against Southampton? Or did you too feel that was absolutely, positively, indubitably the strongest side he could field in the formation he did?

In my mind, Pardew’s line-up and demonstrated game-plan at Southampton could not be proven any closer evidence of a dog incapable of learning new tricks, for a number of reasons; the demba pairing, but we all knew/know that; anita, a defender his entire life, being asked to provide the creative spark (either that or AP was content with fielding two holding CMs); Marveaux’s continued exclusion (surely, even keeping in mind he’s yet to set anything alight, he’s warranted a place before either Sammy ‘i want to be even more obsolete than my older brother’ Ameobi or Shane ‘i hit two good crosses last month and i’m AP’s answer to width though i can’t make a pass or defend for the life of me’ Ferguson?….ok, admittedly a bit harsh on the youngsters but do you agree they’re both far from the first team without the aforementioned ‘crisis’?)

I mean, I could go on but I’m interested to hear your take on all of this. That aside, do you think AP will shake things up tonight either with the line-up or the formation? Do you think he is capable of that? Do you think he’s enough at his disposal to do so?

EDIT – and to make this a bit relevant to the thread, what was your take on not bringing Ranger on at Southampton? I know all fans are divided on him, but why oh why would you build him up, watch for 90 minutes two misfiring strikers and not even think of the change? To me it seemed like a wasted spot on the bench when you could’ve thrown another CM in there (ie Abeid, Amalfitano)

• 2 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM

3 days time and we can begin the one month countdown. How exciting! Can anyone say they haven’t missed transfers? :)

Tsunki (from last nights thread)…Sorry I missed you. Are you saying it isn’t just me? Aww man, was just starting to feel special ;)

• 3 Phatoon // Nov 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I ruddy hope so. Now Cabaye is out we will only have:

Perch
    Anita
    Tiote (except for Jan)
    Bigirimana (only suitable as a sub atm)
    Abeid (not ready)

Sissoko (or similar) is needed to add the steel we need while Tiote isn’t playing. He also helps out going forward from what I’ve seen….

I hope Ranger is sorting it out, the season before last he looked very promising (on field only), except for that miss vs West Ham.

We should make him live with John Carver for a bit, like the Carroll/Nolan thing. That should sort him out ;)

• 4 mattyNUFC // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:00 AM

and on this article:

so, AP says we can’t prepare until after december?

Um, that’s January, Alan. Are you saying you’re going to get your ducks in a row in January? So all that tripe on September 1st about having targets to bring in in the new year was just that?

• 5 Transfer Sage // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM

It’s nearly my time to shine Ibiza

• 6 mattyNUFC // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Ibiza

It’s been so nice not to be embroiled in what about 7 months out of the year proves to be silly season.

Just wish we were putting more points up on the board in the meantime.

• 7 yorkshire_magpie // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Do you seriously think that we are going to buy players in jan. From past records with us only wanting bargains we’ll be lucky to get even one player.

• 8 Transfer Sage // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:04 AM

We did get cisse last year.

And us wanting bargains I true. Well some of our previous targets are out if contract in the summer so a chance for bargains maybe.

• 9 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:05 AM

TS….Time to get some rest and start training again. I feel it’s going to be an interesting one :)

matty….I would have thought they have lists and ideas, but those could possibly have been changed somewhat as a result of injuries etc. Either he’s just blowing the press off or he’s being genuine in that they are waiting to assess the situation to fine tune any plans.

Phatoon….Guti can play there for me, in fact, that’s where I think he is now best suited, in a 3 man midfield, ideally with Tiote and Cabaye.

• 10 Transfer Sage // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Matty

Players at elicited by technical ability and physical attributes.

A manager is limited only by the mental attributes therefore much greater scope for improvement in pardew than Williamson

Not sayin pardew will become mourinho but he has the potential to improve year on year

• 11 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Matty…It does seem the window of non transfer sanity gets smaller and smaller each year….all we can do is try and enjoy the peace when we get it – not much chance of that with Pardew though it seems (a little joke, you know where I am on him ;) )

• 12 jon.c // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM

AP We have to change our style of play as teams now know how we play and put the stops in.we have now gone for the long ball and both strikers not playing well opposing defenders are now laughing they know what to expect please AP change

• 13 WesJameson // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Blah Blah Blah, same sh1te different day

• 14 rainrix // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:11 AM

To be honest i prefer the transfer windows, so much more life and energy and so much more to discuss, admittedly not all of it is good but still its there :)

• 15 Slank // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Taking a worst case scenario, I don’t think we will see Cabaye and Taylor back, fully match fit, before Easter.

Therefore, I expect the club to buy a midfielder and a central defender at the very least very early in January.

With Cisse, Ba and possibly Ameobi all away on African duties another forward could be possible.

• 16 Phatoon // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Ibiza,

That’s true I guess, Mr Versatile.

Having kept an eye on during the Southampton game, he doens’t half run a lot. I was fairly impressed with his crossing from the right side.

• 17 rainrix // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Slank… Cisse and ba aren’t away in january.

• 18 sirtoongospel // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Sissokho, and a good, pacy CB in JAnuary and it would save our season. Although just about every NUFC fan knows that we need a RB, 2x CB, CM, LM, Striker x 2.

A minimum of 5 out of the 7 is needed by the Start of next season, not including any departures.

Will it happen? I think we all know it won’t.

Pardew has spoken about a small squad. Our squad is the same size as everyone else in the league!!! What he means is after his first 11 it is a poor squad. We should have 23 solid Premier league players. There isn’t a fan among us who wouldn’t agree that 6 or 7 aren’t or never will be Prem standard. That is too many. Even when everyone is fit the bench has bodies on it that are not good enough.

That is the boards doing, not the fans or anyone else. We all know Pardew would rather be talking to the very best players and trying to get them here. We as fans would love to see it too. But right now I would take 4 or 5 good solid players, but the most money I would spend is on a top, top CB.

• 19 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Can someone explain why we cannot contact a club about a player before January 1st?

…and even agree terms with him! As far as I know a player is just not allowed a medical before the transfer window opens and cannot sign the contract before.

Why wait?

• 20 Graeme // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM

A CB or even 2 wouldn’t go amiss – we have needed one for almost 2 years now.

Williamson does a job but he has the turning circle of the Titanic, after it hit the iceberg and accelerates the same way. Taylor is injured more often than not. Collo is getting no younger and was never the fastest moving player.

A new CB in January, able to slot straight into the 1st team would be shrewd business, even if 18 months late!! Maybe a younger CB to learn, eventually replace Collo would make a lot of sense – unless thats the role they see for Curtis Good?

I would keep Perchinio, purely because he has proved he can, and will, play anywhere and do a job – looks like Williamson would be on his way!!

• 21 Indian Magpie // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Pardew out

Shola as player manager

:cry:

• 22 yorkshire_magpie // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Jon.c im with you on that. I think we have been playin the worst football in the prem this season. Utter disgrace. I think the problem we have is there is no players on the technical level of HBA apart from cabaye who is out. So it is really difficult for us to play the passin game.

• 23 mattyNUFC // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Ibiza

I do credit the board with that. As our team has undeniably (i think….) improved, we know it’s more a job of upkeep now than wholesale changes, and I agree wholeheartedly with that and with where we are as a squad.

and Transfer

I hope it didn’t come off as Willo being the main indicator to Pardew’s lack of (imo) tactical know-how. Not at all. Even the best manager is incapable of making even in some cases the most subtle of changes in players.

I look at Willo in our championship season (second half, of course) and our first season back in the prem and, having thought as to whether it’s simply been my own rise in expectation, have settled on the notion that he is not the same player he was. Given, I do think it’s mixture of both because I think we all recognized from the beginning Mike to be your run-of-the-mill no-nonsense English CH, but I still feel he is nowhere near the standard he was in his first year here. I also think it has a lot to do with the league improving and a lot of the promoted teams over the past two seasons playing more exciting, passing brands of football, but I do feel the difference in form is pretty glaring still

• 24 nick_9 // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Now we have qualified for Europe we know a bit more about the next window. I’m certain Pardew said progression I’m Europe was a factor when looking at players needed in the window? We need three of four players in to show us paying fans and our own players we want to achieve something. Perhaps Pardew doesn’t want to upset the apple cart by naming positions we feel we are weak in, whilst we have so many injuries I don’t blame him as such but sceptics will say he is just avoiding the question as he probably doesn’t know what he is allowed to spend yet. More often than not we have to sell to buy under this regime so the next window will be very telling.

Tonight is a big game and a tough one at that, my heart says three points but looking at a midfield that consists of Anita, tiote and Jonas I just fail to see us getting the win. Stoke work hard and bombard your box (not as often as we do if I remember that stay website correctly). Head says a draw, the home game against Wigan is more important as we cannot lose three at home and that’s where we do need a better showing. 50,000 paying customers all their to watch it at face value. It’s going to be a cold one so we might need to pogo for 90 minutes….

Collo is back now but unfortunately Taylor is out, the better player out of him and Williamson. So the only players we are amiss from our usual starting eleven is hba and cabaye, the two most creative players in the eleven. Once hba and cabaye are back I would love to see us play a 4231 formation:

———- tiote —– Anita ——-
    Cabaye —– Ben Arfa —- marveaux
    ——————-Ba/Cisse

You could perhaps switch hba and cabaye or to accommodate both Strikers play:

——– Cabaye —- Tiote —–
    Ben Arfa —— Ba ——– Marveaux
    ——————Cisse—————

Imagine that team with a bit of movement, it would destroy teams, now imagine it with a ball plying cb next to collocini, an attacking fullback in the same mould as santon so we have two glancing fullbacks. Add that box to box midfielder sissoko and a back up striker and we have a very good squad on our hands. Heck even obertan might look good in that formation with hba feeding him and the attackers.

Oh to dream……..

• 25 Slank // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Rain @ 17

In every dark cloud a little bit of sunshine, thanks.

So is it only Tiote and Ameobi away?

• 26 headtheball // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I know we need two defenders at least another atm and a striker BUT if we do not get a PURPLE managing director instead of Dastardly Derek there is always the chance we will get no recruits because:
    The price was too high
    They kept moving the goal posts
    We have too many PURPLES
    They were too old
    BLA BLA BLA
    Anyone disagree and why?

• 27 Slank // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Jesper @ 19

‘..explain why we cannot contact a club about a player before January 1st.. ‘

Can you imagine the chaos, distraction and disruption this would cause to a dressing room if other clubs were able to tap up players before the transfer window.

• 28 Sav // Nov 28, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Could be a blessing in disguise for next year if it forces Mashley to bolster the squad. Except he’ll probably follow up with a fire-sale in the summer!

• 29 Dyer8 // Nov 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM

In :
    Douglas, CB
    Debuchy, RB
    Sissoko, CM

Best XI :

——————Krul
    Debuchy–Saylor–Collo–Santon
    ——————Tiote
    ————Cabaye–Sissoko
    HBA—————————Marvo
    ——————Cisse

Sub : Ameobi, Sammy, Anita, Douglas, Perch, Jonas

• 30 davis_toons // Nov 28, 2012 at 3:11 PM

To me, after seeing young Ferguson play, he is still not ready for the big game. Throw him in as and when but not full game. (A Sub)

He goes missing in games and does not have the effect of a Attacking Midfielder, in fact Santon has got it more. Mind you, Santon is still new to this environment and even teams as well.

• 31 Jakenufc // Nov 30, 2012 at 7:49 AM

This would be my ideal starting eleven after christmas (if demba ba leaves)
    Debuchy…Doughlas…Colo…Santon