The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Linked With Dutch International Winger

10:32 am, Sunday, December 2nd, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 25 Comments

It’s Sunday again and we should be wary of some of the transfer news – and one such case is a report that Newcastle are interested in PSV Eindhoven winger Jeremain Lens. Newcastle were interested in this player two years ago, while he was still at AZ Alkmaar and before he was sold to PSV for a fee reckoned to be around £5M in the summer of 2010.

Jeremain Lens – Newcastle interested at £10M?

Wigan are said to be interested in the player who Southampton failed to sign him the summer, when he was one of their top targets.

Jermain has played for the Netherlands 8 times with four goals, and the 24-year-old says he wants to leave the club at the end of the season, or even in January – if a suitable bid comes in, as he had this to say to  Elf Voetbal:

“At the end of this season, I will be 25 and then a transfer must come. I would like to leave PSV with the title, but if that does not happen it is still no reason to stay.”

“At this point in my career I need to go for my career and personal development – I don’t have a real preference for a particular league but in terms of playing style England and Germany would suit me.”

Lens can play as a striker or a winger, but since he moved to PSV he has been played mostly on the flanks, but whether he is available for transfer we don’t know – but the transfer fee of £10M should rule Newcastle out.

If Newcastle were really interested in this player, we would have brought  him to Tyneside a couple of years ago – before his price doubled.

We think this is a non-starter for Newcastle – because of the price.

Lens has played 74 times for PSV with 22 goals, so his record at the Eindhoven club is good.

What do you think about Lens coming to Newcastle for £ 10M?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

25 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Being used as a guinea pig on a medieval stretching rack is too good for Ashley.

• 2 RonVanDam // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Havent heard much about this player. 10m? Lets buy Douglas and Debucy with that money. Anyone agree?

• 3 BelfastMagpie // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Would rather sign a full back,centre back.,central midfielder,or a Striker,before a winger.lol

But hey ho… ;)

• 4 Tsunki // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Mr Ba’s replacement ho ho ho. Think about it.

Jail – if you are still here, I replied to what you said a ew posts ago:-

‘Tskunki
    If you think being financially stable ahead of good football and big transfers as achievement then we’ve nothing really to say to each other.’

First off, hope the ‘tSKUNKi’ was a typo….
    I dont know where you got the idea I was endorsing finance over football. I am just saying that in this case the love of the club is not present in Ashleys case and its all about financial success. The hard fact is, he would, by whatever means, sell the club if it made a good profit and was expedient to do so. To do that he would have to change something – its viability. In the case he did sell, we would by definition be a better option than when he bought it off FFS and the scrapmen. I’m beginning to think I am being mistaken for being unreservedly pro-Ash, which is not true I have serious caveats about the guy and his methods.

Are we still talking then?

• 5 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I think a centre midfielder has to be pretty high priority, with cabs injured and tiote at ACoN. We could make do with Anita and perch though. A full back, a cb, a centre mid and a creative midfielder and a winger and a striker. Need to be bought over the next 2 windows.

Not that it will happen but I can dream. :)

• 6 Graeme // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM

How do you equate a £10 Million Fee and NUFC in the same sentence? They are mutually exclusive terms lol

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM

A Crisis Waddle type player would be perfect (not a sausage making mackem though ), Ba and Cisse then could be rotated as I think every man and his dog knows they can’t play together in a 4-4-2 which is a shame as I thought we were in for something special when they both scored on Cisse birthday to win us the game.

• 8 woolerbill // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Wingers are not required, we must sign at least 3 back 4 players. football starts at the back not on the wing

• 9 niafron // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Re post.

Gervinho isn’t the kind of guy we need in my mind.

A good player, but with guy like Obi, Sammy or Beny we already got lads of that profile.

We rather need players like Marv or Cab who are less individual.

We need a good LB, a CB and a good winger.

There’s my team with “?” when we need recruitment.

——————–Krull——————–
    Santon —– ? ———Collo —— ? —
    ————Cabaye —-Tioté———–
    ? ————-Ben Arfa——–Marv
    ———————Ba——————–

• 10 Tsunki // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:44 AM

We need some big clubs’ successful back line brought in as a unit, and have Colo as defensive coach. Alright sorry that was a bit crass. I echo the sentiment of someone who said earlier that a signing or two in Jan wont get the team playing. The whole setup of the team is fundamentally unstable, good players, just playing off position and finding out each others’ style before another injury or suspension changes the personnel again. I am hoping the improvement I saw in the Stoke game will continue on that curve. I am expecting Anita to bring it tonight.

• 11 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Just realised how Kets-like I sounded there. :)

• 12 BelfastMagpie // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Shut it SKUNKI lol

• 13 spitfire_ // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:44 AM

It’s too “purple” for good old uncle Derek.

• 14 Tsunki // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Conaldo – yeah we are going to need some vouchers with that list….

• 15 Tsunki // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Conaldo @11 – what did you expect? You are profaning the great Talisman by using his name publicly. The curse of Scharner be upon you!

Belfast! :D That hurt.

• 16 darrenfletcher88 // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Why should the 10 million price tag rule us out if the board and manager think its good value they will pay it!!!

• 17 Tsunki // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:48 AM

niafron – ‘Gervinho isn’t the kind of guy we need in my mind.
    …..sorry for laughing…..go on…. I think I know what you mean….

• 18 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Check
    I see where your coming from on how you see it but everything you wrote for me could just as easily be said about cisse this season
    Tbf i dont think ba or cisse should be the ones in question i think our entire midfield has alot to answer for in regards to our form and perfomances out of all our midfielders o think anita is the only one who looks like he’s actually trying this season

• 19 catchy in norway // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Jeremain Lens

is a right winger

why???

like belfast say,, defence first please,, as i keep hearing this is the problem we play hoofball

• 20 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I would go for him but for no more than 7 Mil !

Hows about a swap deal with Ba? Don,t PSV would do that though?

Have serious doubts about a 10 Mil valuation for Lens?

• 21 Jail for Ashley // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Tsunki,
    It was a typo, predictive text lol, just that post you left sort of indicated that we could carry on like we are with millions being made and not being spent and that it would show some kind of achievement if somebody was prepared to pay 230M because there was money to be made.

• 22 Transfer Sage // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:55 AM

On Sunday supplement on sky sports a journalist just suggested that Pardews contract might have a clause that says if he is sacked he would only be due 6 months pay.

Not sure if its true but if that’s in their he maybe isn’t as safe as we think.

• 23 Transfer Sage // Dec 2, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Niafron

Do you not think cabaye is wasted that deep?

I’m no expert but doesn’t he play just ruins the striker for France? And that’s when he’s at his best.

Im Not sure but would like your take on it

• 24 Black and White with an army lol // Dec 2, 2012 at 11:47 AM

more speculation of an unknown player, saying that ive watched him a few times and i got to say (NOT IMPRESSED) hes got good pace but creativity and passing are very poor, but i like how he reads the games and gets into spaces to receive balls on the wings but other than that hes no where near the 10 mill mark.

• 25 Marty-Toon // Dec 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM

You say we don’t need wingers!
    I agree when you see how many we have.
    But,we actually do need wingers that can score goals.
    Obertan scoring 1/2 goals in 30 games and as few assists isn’t what I’d call a danger to any opposition.
    Fergie has a decent delivery but is more injured than not.
    Ben Arfa is the only danger we have on the wings,and if we can’t score from set plays then we need some danger on the wings.
    10million may be a bit steep but we need someone with pedigree not Jonas,Obertan or Sammy(get rid of the first two)

previous post: Rallying Cry From Alan Pardew