Newcastle vs Wigan – Match Preview

Newcastle have lost their last four games in the league and things will be an awful lot better when we can break that streak and get a win – and we are hoping and praying that will be tonight against Wigan Athletic, in a game that is being broadcast live around the world.

Newcastle have nine players out injured at the moment – and those players are Ryan Taylor, Haris Vuckic, Dan Gosling, Yohan Cabaye, Steven Taylor, Shola Ameobi, Hatem Ben Arfa, Gabriel Obertan and Adam Campbell.

And James Perch will also miss the game tonight after picking up his fifth booking of the season against Stoke and he misses one game.

Newcastle must break the losing streak at some time (that’s true isn’t it?), and tonight at home with the Geordie crowd roaring them on seems to be as good a time as ever to do that, and a win will bring massive relief to Alan Pardew, the Newcastle players, and last but not least – the Newcastle fans. It’s been agony these last three or four weeks – plain and simple.

We think this could be the side that Alan Pardew selects tonight:

Krul
Simpson Williamson Coloccini (c) Santon
Gutierrez Tiote Anita Ferguson
Ba Cisse
Subs: Elliot Tavernier Bigirimana Ameobi (Sa) Marveaux Amalfitano Ranger

Maybe Sammy Ameobi will get the left wing berth over Shane Ferguson, depending on how they have been playing in training, but Pardew may go for Shane’s better defensive capabilities.

And one stat that stands out is that Wigan have never won at St James’ Park – so we have to hope they don’t start breaking that record tonight – please.

And another stat worth noting is that only Southampton and QPR have lost more games than Wigan this season so far, Wigan have lost eight, and they have scored the fewest away goals this season, along with Aston Villa – only four goals in their six away games, although they have won two on the road.

A lot will depend tonight on whether the Newcastle players can keep their nerve and play like they did last Wednesday at Stoke, and not give daft goals away late ion the game tonight.

But we want to see an all out performance from the Newcastle side tonight, and if we get one goal up, let’s go for another, and then another – let’s not try to sit back on any lead tonight – just go for it – all out!

Let us know how you think the game will go tonight:

How Will Newcastle fare Against Wigan?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Being battered with a wet trout is too good for Ashley.

• ilovetoon8788

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM

even with all those injuries, we have a very decent squad. excuses for injuries are very poor.

we need to improve our football. sick and tired of depending on individual brilliance of Cisse last season and plenty of luck.

and we have completely run out of those 2 this season and we are where we deserve to be.

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:16 AM

tonight i want to see

krul
    simmo, willo, colo, santon
    jonas/bigi, tiote
    anita
    marvoux, cisse, ba

in a 433/4231 whatever people want to call it

• WWYCD

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Sage
    Agree mate but tbf to Ba he is a striker not a winger so I can understand him wanting to play centrally plus can’t say he has dissappointed when he has been played as a striker haha

As for tonight if that’s the team we are playing with 8/9 defensive minded players which worries me

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:21 AM

wwycd

which team worries you? Ed’s or mine?

and yeh I can’ blame Ba for wanting to play central but I blame pardew for sacrificing the team for 1 player. If its true…not saying it is but cant see any other reason we stopped with a 433

• Graeme

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I would certainly consider giving Ranger a game in 2nd half, he will help keep the Wigan back four on their toes and pushed back into their own half.

He’s a different player to Ba & Cisse and may work well with either of them; it has to be an improvement on them playing together!!

A 2-1 win tonight – bring it on!!

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:23 AM

graeme

I think ranger would work well with Ba.

Ranger runs the channels…this would leave much more room for Ba in the centre.

Ba and Cisse both stay very central and dont go wide naturally, it makes them easy to crowd out.

• WWYCD

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Sage
    Eds mate didn’t see urs but I’d prefer that to the 442 Eds put up

Aye Pards would be the one to blame but I don’t know how true that is

• tweaked

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:29 AM

i really would prefer marv over fergie on the left side

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I really don’t see the problem of Ba not wanting to play on the left,ok he didn’t score for a long run but he had chances in that position I just think his luck deserted him followed by his confidence,if it is really true this 90K a week malaraky and refusing to play where is best for the team then he needs to be replaced with a ten goal a season LW.

• Lee Dodd

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:33 AM

We need to get behind the Team Tonight I think we will win 2-1 . Or we may even Win 5-0 . The Side Nead to Know we are behind them. 3-0 by half time will do .. I would Play Ranger and Cisse at the start and Bring Ba on as Sub !!!! Show Him he is not a one man Team !!!

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I think it’s safe to say we will see 442.

Eds team is exactly how I see us starting the game.

The problem with that is Jonas doesn’t get forward enough and neither does Simpson/

Fergie and santon will inevitably be caught out as they both like to attack and youngsters always have a mistake in them.

I think it will be a dire performance tonight but we could scrap a win and get 3 points.

Wigan might play some good stuff but are very inconsistent in having a cutting edge.

• Indian Magpie

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Wigan have never won at SJP.

Niether had swansea

WHU had not won for a long time.

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Lee

I like the optimism but just can’t see 3-0 at full time never mind half time.

I think if we win it will be 1-0/2-1

I just want the increased effort put in but also some quality too…we dont need to play like barca but we need to play with a bit more calm and keep possession.

Wigan won’t fear us after winning the last game 4-0…..they will try to attack whilst we are in poor form, wigan never enter games to defend which costs them sometimes but means they are always in the game.

• jimiley

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Jonas to show his true clours tonight. Set up a couple and bag one for himself. Three one to Toon.

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Indian

How did you get into following newcastle?

Was it the big team when you started watching the prem league or is it just something about the place/team you like?

• martoon

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I’ve got a sneaking feeling that Pardew might spring a surprise and play HBA. It s probably a risk bringing him back so early – but desperate times require desperate measures. I’m not trying to start any rumours but he has done it before with Ben Arfa.

• Slank

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Sage,

The team must start from the outset at a high tempo and hit Wigan hard with attacks.

I therefore agree with you about Ranger. He has pace and will take on his man, and has an eye for goal.

I would also play Tavernia who is much better going forward than Simpson (although not as good defensively) and is an excellenet compliment to Santon on the opposite wing.

I would not play Jonas as he looks completely out of sorts. Also I wouldn’t play Bigi as he is too defence minded which is alright away from home but we need to attack Wigan and open them up which is why I prefer to use Marveaux who has the skills to do that.

My team would be 4-3-3:

Krul
    Tavernia, Willo, Colo, Santon
    Tiote Anita Marveaux
    Ranger Cisse Ba

We will get back to winning ways. Four nil to us.

• cyprus

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

So, tonight’s the night, Rod used to crone. Massive 6-pointer, hope the crowd roars them on, we need 12 players, 13 if the ref is willing to join in 🙂 (actually it’s 15 if u count the ‘lines men’.)
    Strategy? Tactics? Nah, we can’t do those! Throw in the kitchen sink, play your hearts out, as Harry might have said

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Jimiley

You’re right there. Especially if he starts on the right as simmo doesn’t offer much support going forward jonas can spend more time trying to get into the final third.

I don’t think he is capable of this anymore but would love to be proved wrong.

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM

slank

I would prefer marvoux on the right of a 433 instead of ranger…if we go 442 i’d have ranger and Ba though.

Either way we are agreed we need marvoux to add a bit of creativity.

• Indian Magpie

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:49 AM

TS

I watched the first season in 2001-02, that season it was all the teams but NUFC 4 MUFC 3 lingered long in the memory. but mainly it was liverpoolish and arsenal.

Next season India Toured England and they played a 1 day match at Chester le street and Indian broadcasters Interviewed SBR and Beardsley. It was all NUFC from there. that season the match between NUFC and Feyernoord Sold me on NUFC too.

P.S
    The 1 day match was washed out

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I have heard a couple rumours out of spain lately.

One that fernando llorente is to be sold by bilbao as they are struggling financially.

I heard it was a UK club but not champs league so I guess spurs maybe, be good if us but I doubt it.

Also heard Falcao is on the move at the end of the year. Heading to Real Madrid who are planning a huge summer spend as they are struggling in la liga and the big news of Ronaldo leaving to return to England. Expected to be man utd but city and chelsea are expected to try to lure him, he prefers man utd though from what I heard.

Sorry this isn’t newcastle related just thought it might be a good talking point.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Sage and slank

yes definitely push marv forward and make it a 433 even though Ba and cisse will probably get in each others way again if ba isn’t out left

Can understand Ba not wanting to play left any more
    but one of Cisse or Ba flanked by Benny (when fit) and Marv and supported by cabs (when fit)is surely the way to go.

• Kyo

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:08 PM

They spanked us 4-0 last season, and that was us on top form.

Prepare for the worst.

• mattyNUFC

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM

for anyone who is interested. Ed might do well to do an article on this as well.

Sylvain Marveaux interview

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Indian

That seems to happen at chester-le-street a lot….they always play when it’s wettest then accuse the north of being to wet.

And I remember when newcastle we last in the UEFA cup they always seemed to interview steve harmison at half time.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Cisse and Ba can’t play together.
    In thousands of minutes of action they haven’t worked effectively as a duo more than a handful of times.

Like Transfer Sage I’d give Ranger and either one of them a start.
    But I bet Pardew starts Ba & Cisse in a 442.

Hoof and hope one of the strikers can score. Great tactics that have failed time and time again this season.

If we play like we did at Southampton, Wigan will stuff us.

• mattyNUFC

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM

basically it’s definitely not down to his attitude

if i were him at this point i’d be furious by now. way to keep a cool head, sylvain. seems like a model pro

• Hatem's better than Messi

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Krul
    Simpson Williamson Coloccini (c) Santon
    Marveaux Tiote Anita Ferguson
    Ranger Cisse

or a lot more adventurous …

Krul
    Simpson Williamson Coloccini (c) Santon
    Bigi Anita Tiote
    Ranger Cisse Ba

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM

hatem

Cisse and Ba work as part of a 3 with Ba left.

But they cannot play as a 2…its so obvious they do not link together….it just doesn’t work well at all.

Not sure why we keep persisting with this,

• Graeme

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Hey, maybe some light on the horizon – It has just been announced that Marinho is to leave at the end of the season!!

He always said he wanted to come back to the Premier League and make a mid-table team into a great team – move over Pardeau, your chair is needed for the special one lol

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Graeme

I think that means Mancini has to win the title or bye bye.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Graeme…Send me over some of what you’re smoking, but not so much that i’d abuse it and myself 😉

• Big Pappa Cissé

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM

The problem is Ba & Cisse are trying to play the same role and it is not working. They should be creating chances for eachother but won’t because they are goalscorers at heart

• Hatem's better than Messi

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Love this Pardew quote about the board… “They’ve given me massive support this week in trying to help me get the result I want, almost asking me what can they do for me?

Almost … foocking almost … lol … muppet or puppet?

• jimiley

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Mourinho only works with top players who cost top dollar. You seem to forget we operate in the bargain basement dept.We sign managers like Pardew and players like Anita. I wonder why he left a Champions League club? I wonder why they let him go? 6 million too good to turn down?

• Slank

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Graham @ 32

Perhaps the memory of Sir Bobby could tempt him to waken a sleeping (or dooziny) club ?

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I’m surprised at the Mourinho news I thought he would have hung around till he won the CL and become the first manager to win a CL in three different countries before coming back to England to make it four, my bets are his club of choice being MCity though.

• jimiley

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Slank,
    It aint sleeping any more. They were sleeping in the 1960s and woke up for a few years in the mid 90s. The club is comatose now man.

1 2 3 8