The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Latest Update On Injuries To Tiote, Santon And Ba

1:14 am, Tuesday, December 4th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 84 Comments

A relived Alan Pardew talked to Newcastle United video reporter Rob Scanlon after the game on nufcTV, and the Newcastle manager said it was about time Newcastle had a little luck, and once we were 1-0 up and Wigan were reduced to 10 men, there was only going to be one winner.

Referee Mike Jones shows Maynor Figueroa red card

One important piece that Alan talked about – other than Newcastle have been unlucky all season with injuries wand have received a lot of unfair criticism – was a brief report on the three new injuries Newcastle picked up tonight – to top stars Cheick Tiote, Davide Santon and Demba Ba.

This is what Alan said about those injuries:

“For us, we have three little strains, which we don’t think are too serious thankfully.” “We took Cheick off as a precaution and the other two are not too bad.”

Davide Santon, who again looked a very good player for Newcastle last night, had to leave the pitch early in the second half, and then after 85 minutes there were  shudders going around the ground as Demba Ba was injured, and he limped off the pitch – with what looked like a hamstring pull.

But presumably the medical staff have had quick look at all three players and they all have only slight strains.

And for once – that’s some good news on the injury front for Newcastle.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Coaching · Davide Santon · Demba Ba · Newcastle News

84 responses so far ↓

• 1 YankToonFan // Dec 4, 2012 at 1:24 AM

I will rest easy when I see all three back on the pitch.

• 2 89Norcal // Dec 4, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Back is motm for me. Sylvain was impressive but I liked Ba not only for his 2 goals, but his link up play with cisse! Has pards finally cracked the Ba Cisse code? Thank god!!

4-2-3-1 just may be the beat answer if we want both the Senegalese on pitch

• 3 willowdalerez // Dec 4, 2012 at 2:35 AM

I hope all three are minor strains… If Ba stays he is a real pillar for us but only if he’s on the pitch and nobody will buy him if he’s not!

• 4 JDdubai // Dec 4, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Am v happy that they were down to 10 men after 11 mins, they still knocked the ball about better than us even being man down. Start of the 2nd half especially they were playing some great stuff, if only we could do that…..

Still a win is a win, Cisse on the right is still not the answer but maybe will work for now until HBA is back, think Marveaux in the hole worked well and should be tried again.

Not a great performance(again) but 3 points right now is more important than anything so job done. Think we would have struggled against 11 though, that Stam for them looked good as an attacking RB too.

• 5 Indian Magpie // Dec 4, 2012 at 5:57 AM

I watched the game yesterday, can any one please tell me what was the formation. it looked as it was changing every 5 minutes

• 6 Indian Magpie // Dec 4, 2012 at 6:06 AM

Just saying,

Having siad that Tiote is my 3rd favorite NUFC player behind
    HBA and Santon (Joint 1st)

• 7 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 4, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Indian…the formation part is probably something we’ll all disagree on. Pardew might say it is something (I even think some of the players think it is someting different).

…for me the template Pardew uses is still 4-4-2, but he likes to change the outlook of it when we either go forward or are defending.

Probably why some would argue it’s a 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1. For me you could call it many things, but it is still a 4-4-2 :-)

Just want to add that even though we were playing 11 against 10 and we probably should have won no matter what I was really pleased with the performance last night and thought Pardew was spot on with his tactics :-)

• 8 MickyD // Dec 4, 2012 at 6:23 AM

4-3-3 attacking and while defending 4-5-1 Wigan were crazy at times in the second half playin 2-4-3 leaving only 2 at the back we should of had more goals if benny had been on the pitch the score line would probably been different. I think Anita had a great game and he’s getting better and better as each game comes and fair play to the lad he is showing that he wants to make it at this club

• 9 Indian Magpie // Dec 4, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Thanks Jesper,

I want to say good morning but its afternoon in Here. So good afternoon

• 10 Indian Magpie // Dec 4, 2012 at 6:36 AM

MickyD

A confident team would have hammered Wigan bu more goals, you are right.

It is admirable how they keep playing football, you remember that 9-1 against spurs?

• 11 Santon03 // Dec 4, 2012 at 6:47 AM

This is a very good result for the players, because they were all looked more down than the manager. I hope AP is not quickly satisfied and keep working on the system to make the team play better for 80 to 90 minutes. It’s great to see Bigi scores.
    On the Cisse subject, I think the team will be better if Ba and Cisse swap positions. Cisse is Inzaghi type, he always play on the shoulder of last defender and he is a goal poacher and good finisher, but I don’t think Ba will be happy and posibly leave if he has to play on the wing.

• 12 jammylambo // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:02 AM

plays on the should haha ! when you consider how often hes caught offside by 10 yards i find that hard to believe. love the guy but my god someone needs teach him the offside rule.

• 13 cyprus // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Best game for a long time, despite the man advantage fact.
    The two forwards constantly harassed their defenders, both played well. Regarding Cisse: remember how some people had written off Ba in the second half of last season? Don’t write this kid off, he’s out of form and overly concerned about it. When that happens, u must play like a lion, for the team. He did that, well.
    Our midfield was excellent! Cabaye will have to work hard to shift Marveaux out, frankly. I relish a Marveaux, HBA, Anita MF set up. I gave Marveaux the MOM, because I thought all would be voting for Anita, who was sublime, but I see he’s leading that chart!
    Defense? Clean sheet, excellent play all round, wish those ‘haters’ on here would give it up… just one wobble, all game.
    People sometimes ask, ‘have u ever been to a game’, to prove their point. Question should really be: ‘ have u ever played the game?’

• 14 JDdubai // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Just looked at the table, if we had won 3 of the last 4 “easy” games we would be joint 3rd!!!!! AAAAARRGGHHHH

Oh well, some hard games coming up, probably wiser to look over the shoulder for the time being. Feels like a good opportunity missed though.

• 15 Santon03 // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:12 AM

jammy

it could be the passer was too late. That’s why we have cabaye.

• 16 JDdubai // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:15 AM

As for Cisse, he never archs his run which is key thing as a forward, he always runs straight towards goal so will be offside more often than not, and the time when Ba had it on the right and Cisse was unmarked in the middle in the second half, no excuse for that he should have hit the brakes and made sure he was behind the ball.

He seems a bit dense to be honest, always has that stupid grin on his face when he has just done something stupid..whats worse is that it doesnt look like anyone is teaching him the right way to do it either.

• 17 cyprus // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Dubai, he ‘looks dense’? That is low, man. I am presuming you look real nerdy and sophisticated.

• 18 Santon03 // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:25 AM

cyprus

most of the games we have 2 different half, not just little wobble in a game.
    1 bad unplayable unwatchable half.
    1 excellent half.

• 19 cyprus // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Santon, can’t disagree with that… Our team has been terrible, all round, for a while now, that’s why I’m not sure it’s right to point at two particular players. Your namesake is pretty good though, Enrique’s departure extremely well filled :) In fact, I can Santon getting on the scoreboard, soon. At Stoke he had the best chance and last night he also ‘made’ that goal.

• 20 Santon03 // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:31 AM

cyprus

“Have you played the game?” I think all of us have played the game, since we are football mania.
    But we are not that good since we didn’t get paid or played professionally or since Carr is not interested in our skills :P

• 21 Santon03 // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:34 AM

cyprus

Yup, Santon is the best and the most consistent player we have for 90 minutes. I hope the others can be like him.

• 22 bills-son // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Two big plus points for me last night were Tiote and Marveaux. Although fortunate not to get booked Tiote was back to near his best. Marveaux showed that he could be the creative answer in midfield and hopefully Pards keeps playing him so that his confidence and contribution grows. The other plus point last night was the spirit in the team and effort, there doesn’t look to be any problems in the camp and that’s a good sign. Having said that Cisse has stopped smiling non stop as I’m sure most have noticed.

• 23 cyprus // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:38 AM

You’re probably right, Santon. I’ve never before asked that question on here, because it is unnecessary, and one has to look at the other person’s arguments, even if he disagrees. So, I won’t ask it again, but I guess the question should be: “have you ever played the game well?”, even if we aren’t professional level!

• 24 Slank // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Excellent win and a clean sheet. That will boost the confidence of all the players.

I too am not too sure of the formation but it worked and whilst many on here applaud Wigan for playing football from the back it was very predictable and therefore Pardew had our players high up the pitch and pressing against their defenders which blunted Wigan’s way of playing. Cisse and Ba really got amongst them and showed a lot of energy.

I thought Anita and Marveaux were outstanding. Both are very comfortable on the ball and both can see a pass and/or in Marveaux’s case an opportunity to weave his way past defenders. Also well done to little Bigi who was composed on the ball and scored a screamer.

• 25 Geordiedoonsooth // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:40 AM

God there’s some moaning whingeing people on here who I think have never the game at a decent level

• 26 Ian Toon // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Jesper- what a wonderful world! Good morning. Your absolutely right it was a fluid 4-4-2 but often 4-3-3; which just shows that playing a pass and move game is the way to go. Formations are always less important than players performing and interchanging in a fluid system. For me Ba was the MOM and the key to relieving the tension. Helped by playing against 10 men. We have to find a way of keeping Ba on board with an improved contract. Santon, Anita and Marve were the best of the rest. Simpson had a good game. Wigan confirmed my long held view that they often flatter to deceive – they looked good with a flurry of passes but didn’t really hurt us. Kone was their best player for me. For the penalty and sending off – having now seen it on TV- the defender was not goal side and Cisse did enough to win the penalty.There was encouraging movement between Ba and Cisse. Thet can play together.. Pardew’s tactics were spot on – he negated the threat of Beasjour(!) by Cisse playing on the right.
    Munster- we’ll you had to wait but can you now see the long awaited formation. You will recall as long ago as late August my 4-2-3-1 or variety thereof with Anita and Marveaux in the roles they played last night. Factor into a starting side 2 new defenders plus Cabaye and HBA and what a side. Marve looked fit for those bursts at the heart of the Wigan defence . Let’s enjoy whilst recognising we still have a lot to do.
    Reading posts this morning – interesting to note Drama Queens ( Beattie 25, matty NUFC and Catchy)more intent on being seen to be right themselves with historic Whinging not related to what was unfolding in front of their eyes. Too many preconceptions in particular from Beattie. Rightly taken to task by Ibiza( sure is a good morning) and Ruddy.

• 27 Santon03 // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:44 AM

cyprus

I don’t know about playing well or not hahaha.
    I only played near professionally when I was in my university team, that’s about it. Now I just playing with my friends.

• 28 Slank // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Geordiedoonsouth

Some ‘fans’ are only ever content when they can have a good moan, groan and whinge, hence the large number of comments in the last week. Probably with them is that they rarely, if ever, come up with sensible and/or realistic suggestions to correct the horrors they are forever seeing on the field and off the field.

• 29 cyprus // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Bills-son, agree all the way there. Still, I think if we had conceded we would have been very nervous, though it’s understandable. And we can’t give up on our star forward so fast, surely.
    What was the big change last night? AP has been reading my posts :) 1) run, hustle, when you don’t have the ball; 2) make yourself available, give the man with the ball more than one choice. Simple, eh? ;)

• 30 cyprus // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Slank, your perfectly good argument loses all its potency by those quotes. Shame.

• 31 Santon03 // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Geordiedoonsooth and Slank

I think most of including me moaned about how bad we played, we expected the team to play like last season.
    We are not looking to get top 6, just the style the team played, and it became worse when we were beaten at home and recently promoted sides. Just the playing style and inconsistency in a game.

• 32 Slank // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Cyprus,

I think the big change was that Ba and Cisse were very energetic and were defending from the front (as Barca do so well).

The other change was that Marveaux was playing mostly in the centre which he prefers instead of isolated on the wing. He can see a pass almost like Cabaye and can weave past defenders almost like Ben Arfa. He was able to do this because he had Anita alongside who probably had the best game since joining the club and showed why the club paid so much for him. These two could only be so effective because they had Tiote and then Bigi as the defensive rock in midfield with Jonas do his bit but which seems less and less and less effective.

• 33 Slank // Dec 4, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Cyprus,

I put them in quotes as I have often wondered whether some on here and other Newcastle blogs are fans as there comments are nearly always negative even when we win and/or play well.

BTW, are you getting all the rain. It’s chucking it down here Paphos.’

• 34 cyprus // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Slank,
    Agreed all the way. Can’t get it regarding Jonas. He was, yes, my favourite player! What’s the deal? Loss of form? Reading some venomous posts? Loss of adventurous spirit? Although no bullet, he has decent speed and excellent dribble. If you need reminding, look at his goals last season, pure class. Can’t explain, it certainly ain’t age. I’d rest him, just to get the hunger back.

• 35 Ian Toon // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Geordie- Your right to question the football knowledge and understanding of many posters. At the game there were some fans complaining about Pardew’s substitutions which were enforced.
    I read Beattie’s which tells you a lot about what sort of fan he is!!

• 36 bills-son // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Cyprus – we didn’t play particularly well but sometimes, a cliche I know, the result is far more important than the performance especially when your confidence is down after four defeats on the trot. I hate to even use the word relegation but last time the team was devoid of team spirit and fight this one, apart from the horror show at Southampton, isn’t. We’ve got some tough games coming up this month so we aren”t out of the woods yet but the last two battling performances are a step in the right direction.

Got to add to my previous post that Guti looked tired and slow last night. He was the one passenger last night and the team can”t carry too many more performances like that.

• 37 cyprus // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Nope,
    all fine in Nicosia! a bit cloudy.

• 38 Ian Toon // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Cyprus- Jonas has lost form but I would not write him off just yet like so many on here.

• 39 Santon03 // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Me especially moaned about AP’s excuses and hoofball.

• 40 cyprus // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Ian toon,
    Agree…

• 41 karasu // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:07 AM

“Bigirimana is considered as Tiote’s heir apparent but i dont think Tiote can ever do what Bigi did for goal yesterday.”

Yeah, but can Bigi do what Tiote did for THAT Arsenal goal?

• 42 Slank // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Bills-son and Cyprus

My wife has detected Jonas’ loss of form with a change in his hair.

He used to always wear a band tied around his locks with a ponytail. Lately, she has noticed, that he has had his hair cut and it has been free flowing.

Why Pardew or the ‘fans’ haven’t noticed this too I’m really surprised.

• 43 Santon03 // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Karasu

Yes, he can. He is only 18 and hasn’t played regularly.

• 44 Santon03 // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Maybe Jonas is like Samson, he cut his hair and lost his mojo.

• 45 Ian Toon // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Santon- You take too much baggage into games- to many preconceptions which suggest you don’t understand football. Who hasn’t played football at Uni! That doesn’t qualify you to understand what ‘s going on behind the scenes and at training. Leave it to Pardew and the professionals. Just enjoy a return to winning ways and hope that will give us some momentum. Have a good day.

• 46 cyprus // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:13 AM

On the moaners, optimists, etc. I don’t think anyone is a lesser fan when he complains, or a better fan when he constantly praises. ‘Fan’ doesn’t imply blind following, after all. The only problem is when either stance goes to the extreme. For example, the Ashley hating has cooled the man’s enthusiasm, gone is his NUFC shirt wearing (wow, what a crime), and so he now keeps his distance and his investments in check. On the other side now, refusing to see that the team has been under-performing is a recipe for more of the same and big ‘R’ concerns…

• 47 HullMag6 // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:16 AM

According to certain tabloids Arsenic whinger is interested in Ba, if that happened – Giroud in exchange?

• 48 Santon03 // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Ian

Yes, I don’t know what happened behind the scene, I don’t think none of us do, unless you are NUFC staff.
    Like I said I don’t like AP’s excuses and hoofball, take example from Wigan or Lazio. I never complain about transefers or MA or DL, like most do.

• 49 Santon03 // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:19 AM

btw, have good day to you too, Ian

• 50 Ian Toon // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Cyprus- When you subsequently read posts made just prior, during and after a game you get a good understanding of the types you mention. So many are reluctant to acknowledge that when circumstances chance you should rethink and maybe change your opinion.

• 51 eaststandgeordie1982 // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Get in 3 points just what the doctor ordered it wasnt pretty but we done it and hopefully get something next monday. I feel rough as **** today good job it wasnt a school nite for me.

• 52 Pushy Pardew // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Ian Toon
    Hope you don’t feel as bad as me this morning. Your much heralded
    4-2-3-1 was seen and 4-4-2 at times. Shows need for good players to adjust. Thought Anita the pick along with Sylvian good to see more movement off the ball and closing down. Agree on Ba we need to keep him he takes responsibility and changes games. Cisse closed down their left side.
    Rotonda
    It was not about systems or formations but movement and closing players down when we did not have the ball.

• 53 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Very good win.

I know it was against ten men but we dominated possession in the first half and looked a lot more fluid.

Anita and Marvoux in the middle was a good combination. I think Jonas had a solid game out wide, not great but did enough. Ba was good, cisse played well on the right and drifted inside nicely.

2nd half was a bit more 442 and rigid but when 2 up and off the back of 4 defeats I can’t blame pardew for wanting to make sure we didn’t concede.

Wigan maybe had too much of the ball in the second half but we still had chances and we never let then create anything clear cut.

Definite improvement in closing down and effort too.

Overall a great return to winning ways and gives us confidence going to Fulham (who are bottom of the form table)

• 54 Pushy Pardew // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Pushy- Good morning. Did have a few but not as many as you by the sound of it. Played more like the envisaged side pre season. Good to see Anita and Marve blending together so well. We must keep Ba. Anita is just the player we saw at Ajax with added strength from a lot of hard gym work. I have to go. Have a good one.

• 55 Pushy Pardew // Dec 4, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Ian Toon Good Morning . Guess I have missed you. My
    head is falling off . Think I’ll give the gym a miss today. Have to get a coffee.

• 56 Pushy Pardew // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Transfer good morning sorry about me getting the wrong end of the stick. Seems a different day with a win.

• 57 Pushy Pardew // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM

PushyTransfer – I saw the Fulham game last season and we played in the first half but fell apart. Interesting to see the team Pardew turns out against Bordeaux.

• 58 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Pushy

no problem…not sure how clear I was…not got much time to write each post when at work so can’t read over them before I submit it.

Last night was good…the formation was changed first half but mainly it was the effort from the players and the closing down, pressing higher and just giving each other options.

I was very impressed with tiote, anita and marvoux dropping deeper to collect the ball from willo…made his life a bit easier.

• 59 Pushy Pardew // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Have a good one

• 60 Pushy Pardew // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Pushy interesting that you point out Fulham are bottom of form league.
    We’ have a terrible record there .be good t keep the run going.
    See you

• 61 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Pushy….Why are you aiming your posts at yourself? Too much celebrating last night?

Had to check this morning to make I hadn’t dreamed it up. Let’s hope they can take this confidence forward into the next run of games and this was a step forward in the right direction.

• 62 Pushy Pardew // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Ibiza what Good Morning how are you

• 63 Pushy Pardew // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Ibiza. Pleased you read my posts. Did you see the game. Great to trouble the scorer again.

• 64 Pushy Pardew // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Pushy here Ibiza- sorry I got the wrong end of the stick with you. Your a good bloke and celebrating in Ibiza. But not as much as me.

• 65 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Seems its not only pards who thinks playing thursdays is harder than the tues/wed slot for the champion league just for those who say the other clubs always play there first team and cope just fine…

• 66 Pushy Pardew // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Pushy-when your the boss you can celebrate a win after so many defeats. How’s your cold.who gets a cold in Ibiza?

• 67 Pushy Pardew // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:26 AM

It was Tsunki what won it ian toon

• 68 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Tads

I don’t see how people can think playing midweek doesnt effect the team. It’s obvious it interrupts the routine you have of training all week for a game. It will tire players, even being 5/10% off full fit fitness can be the difference.

It’s fine I think for teams like man utd who have a large squad as well as a coach who I experienced in Europe so will know how best to prepare and rest players.

Ibiza

I was as confused as you seem to be by the posts haha.

• 69 Pushy Pardew // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Tads let’s be mates I forgive you. What a difference a win makes. I am supposed t be Xmas shopping with the misses.

• 70 Rotonda heights // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Pushy

I don’t think it was just coincidence that we played our best match of the season. Why spoil it? Clearly the players were much, much happier in a more fluid system which was largely 433 / 4231 whch encourages the ball staying on the deck .

442 favours longer balls and negates the impact of touch players like Marveaux and Anita who were just superb albeit against 10 men.

Having watched route 1, 442 all season which statiscally has us down as the worst long ball team all season, believe me I enjoyed the change enormously.

If you want to split hairs, fine but I’m enjoying the moment. It’s been an awful long time coming this season. I just hope as last season when we went on that phenomenal run Pardew will now keep it as a template
    for the rest of the season.

Benny and Marveaux either side of Ba / Cisse is mouthwatering. So glad Anita is shutting people up and he and Marveaux must have really enjoyed the ball to feet last night. Just fantastic to watch.

• 71 Pushy Pardew // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Transfer Sage-
    Cchange your name in January you will be under pressure frothe negatives catch ties etc.
    Enjoy the good times

• 72 Pushy Pardew // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Rotondapushy here
    Let us chat later. I apologise if I got the wrong end of the stick. Got to go

• 73 Geordiedoonsooth // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I’ve just watched the Martinez interview I think he needs to go to Specsavers it was a definite penalty as Cisse was pushed from behind not shoulder to shoulder. The sending off was a bit harsh as Cisse didn’t have the ball under control but it wasa stonewall penalty.

• 74 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Nope…I will never change.

People can choose to ignore I read what I say…if people don’t like it they can skip over my posts.

I already began the rumours by saying Falcao to madrid in the summer and Ronaldo to man utd (with city and chelsea intersted too).

• 75 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Pushy…. :) Extremely spirited this morning.

Cold all better thanks, not really how I got it, probably held on to the idea of shorts and flip flops a little too long.

Watched the game and was really happy. We could have gone for more, but it was a huge step in the right direction and that’s all I wanted (plus the three points).

Thought Marv had a really good game and he’s getting back to his earlier promise. I see people are saying Pards has held him back (like HBA last season). Just want to say, we have seen some cameos from Marv and he hasn’t looked anywhere near as good as last night, is it not possible Pardew has helped him or is it really that he’s just being stubborn?

• 76 Ian Magpie // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Good result for the lads last night! Will have done them the world of good and now we have to keep it going!

Have supported newcastle since my first game in 1979. Have seen more lows than highs but have always been there. Great memories of the Gallowgate end in full voice as one huge open terrace and witnessed the noise and passion that really did make us the best supporters in the land! I kid you not we were the best! I stood in the corner and many a time have been hoisted uo on a barrier to lead thouands of fans in singing their hearts out for the Toon! Wether it was Cambridge Utd at home with 15,000 other die hards in the old second division or Sunderland with 36,000 I was there!

However with much sadness I have decided that this will be my last season as a season ticket holder! This hasn’t been an easy choice to make but its my decision and i will stick by it.

One thing that has been lost from our ground is the noise and passion of the Geordies! This isn’t just a problem for Newcastle it has happened all throughout English football. Where once there was great noise all the way through the match, there is now pretty much silence and last night was no exception. If ever there was a match that the team needed us fans to help them, this was it! Instead of getting behind the team there was a wall of silence with the odd person looking at their bloody mobile phone!!!WTF!!!

I never thought all those years ago that our stadium and its atmosphere would be so poor! Infact its pathetic! And its been for too long! If I am going to pay good money to watch my team I want to take part in a great atmosphere the kind that they have in Germany, not be told to sit down and risk being thrown out!!!! I dont want to sit like a bottle of milk in the cold. I want to marvel at the noise and see the lads on the pitch respond! If they can do this in Germany then why not here????????????????? The even sader fact is that I am not the only one who feels this way. Modern football has killed the atmosphere and the occasion that I was brought up on and it breaks my heart!

I love the toon but sorry, I just cant bare to sit cold in a morgue anymore! I looked around the stadium last night and all the memories came flooding back. Only to realise that sadly that is just what they are memories and that I just cant be apart of the sit quietly and moan brigade! Its a real shame!

• 77 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Sage
    Obviously it takes a massive toll on the squad but a few on here think that it doesnt just nice to here another managers take on it!

Rotonda
    Aye anita was absolutly fantastic last night, we’ve seen him gradually improve game by game and last night we really started to see what he’s all about
    Also bigi, wow great second half coming on for tiote slotted into the game no worries and what a goal!!
    Marv was fantastic made some great runs
    As for demba and cisse they looked completly different they linked up ba hassled everyone and cisse made some great runs in the channel
    Also how was willo still getting stick he done what he had to do and done it well

Pushy
    Can i have some of what you were drinking last night? Sure why not

• 78 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:39 AM

With injuries and niggles going to be a interesting team we put out Thursday night.

Back to last night good display all-round. Anita and Marveux looked good together in midfield.

Don’t know if it would work – Would be interesting to go in with a fluid five man midfield of Tiote, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Anita and Marveux -

• 79 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM

tads

The thing is though people somehow cope with it.

Stoke had no difference in the league 13th without europe, 14th with it…not much difference (but could argue as they improved the team a lot they should maybe have been top half)

Spurs did well with it but harry changed a lot of the team.

It’s just experience at finding the balance and knowing who to rest when and finding new ways to prepare for games.

I won’t criticise pardew for it as he hasn’t had much european experience.

• 80 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM

tads….What does Mancini know? :)

Ian…Sorry to hear that. Obviously I don’t attend, nor have I ever, but that is a real shame to hear. Both the fact the atmosphere is being stamped out and that you wont be there anymore giving your undying support.

• 81 sweendog // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Ian Magpie .. sad to hear .. I thought yesterday was a must win and thought everyone would be right behind the team .. I wonder is there a way to get the singing section back .. I think this would help .. but I think its not the support thats waning but whats happening at the stadium .. I’m a supporter for over 20 years and have noticed a difference but I do think it can be fixed ..

• 82 woolerbill // Dec 4, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Fulham will be our last chance of three points before Xmas, so we better not fall apart this time. We need to have more than 20 points going into the new year. Think long and hard Pardew.

• 83 woolerbill // Dec 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Fulham will be our last chance of three points before Xmas, so we better not fall apart this time. We need to have more than 20 points going into the new year. Think long and hard mr Pardew.

• 84 MacToon // Dec 4, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Some strange posts by Pushy…….got the feeling this sycophant has more than one login name here!

previous post: Pardew – Demba Ba’s Release Clause Hanging Over Newcastle