Latest Update On Injuries To Tiote, Santon And Ba

A relived Alan Pardew talked to Newcastle United video reporter Rob Scanlon after the game on nufcTV, and the Newcastle manager said it was about time Newcastle had a little luck, and once we were 1-0 up and Wigan were reduced to 10 men, there was only going to be one winner.

Referee Mike Jones shows Maynor Figueroa red card

One important piece that Alan talked about – other than Newcastle have been unlucky all season with injuries wand have received a lot of unfair criticism – was a brief report on the three new injuries Newcastle picked up tonight – to top stars Cheick Tiote, Davide Santon and Demba Ba.

This is what Alan said about those injuries:

“For us, we have three little strains, which we don’t think are too serious thankfully.” “We took Cheick off as a precaution and the other two are not too bad.”

Davide Santon, who again looked a very good player for Newcastle last night, had to leave the pitch early in the second half, and then after 85 minutes there were  shudders going around the ground as Demba Ba was injured, and he limped off the pitch – with what looked like a hamstring pull.

But presumably the medical staff have had quick look at all three players and they all have only slight strains.

And for once – that’s some good news on the injury front for Newcastle.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• YankToonFan

Dec 4, 2012 at 1:24 AM

I will rest easy when I see all three back on the pitch.

• 89Norcal

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Back is motm for me. Sylvain was impressive but I liked Ba not only for his 2 goals, but his link up play with cisse! Has pards finally cracked the Ba Cisse code? Thank god!!

4-2-3-1 just may be the beat answer if we want both the Senegalese on pitch

• willowdalerez

Dec 4, 2012 at 2:35 AM

I hope all three are minor strains… If Ba stays he is a real pillar for us but only if he’s on the pitch and nobody will buy him if he’s not!

• JDdubai

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Am v happy that they were down to 10 men after 11 mins, they still knocked the ball about better than us even being man down. Start of the 2nd half especially they were playing some great stuff, if only we could do that…..

Still a win is a win, Cisse on the right is still not the answer but maybe will work for now until HBA is back, think Marveaux in the hole worked well and should be tried again.

Not a great performance(again) but 3 points right now is more important than anything so job done. Think we would have struggled against 11 though, that Stam for them looked good as an attacking RB too.

• Indian Magpie

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:57 AM

I watched the game yesterday, can any one please tell me what was the formation. it looked as it was changing every 5 minutes

• Indian Magpie

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:06 AM

Just saying,

Bigirimana is considered as Tiote’s heir apparent but i dont think Tiote can ever do what Bigi did for goal yesterday.

Having siad that Tiote is my 3rd favorite NUFC player behind
    HBA and Santon (Joint 1st)

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Indian…the formation part is probably something we’ll all disagree on. Pardew might say it is something (I even think some of the players think it is someting different).

…for me the template Pardew uses is still 4-4-2, but he likes to change the outlook of it when we either go forward or are defending.

Probably why some would argue it’s a 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1. For me you could call it many things, but it is still a 4-4-2 🙂

Just want to add that even though we were playing 11 against 10 and we probably should have won no matter what I was really pleased with the performance last night and thought Pardew was spot on with his tactics 🙂

• MickyD

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:23 AM

4-3-3 attacking and while defending 4-5-1 Wigan were crazy at times in the second half playin 2-4-3 leaving only 2 at the back we should of had more goals if benny had been on the pitch the score line would probably been different. I think Anita had a great game and he’s getting better and better as each game comes and fair play to the lad he is showing that he wants to make it at this club

• Indian Magpie

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Thanks Jesper,

I want to say good morning but its afternoon in Here. So good afternoon

• Indian Magpie

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:36 AM

MickyD

A confident team would have hammered Wigan bu more goals, you are right.

It is admirable how they keep playing football, you remember that 9-1 against spurs?

• Santon03

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:47 AM

This is a very good result for the players, because they were all looked more down than the manager. I hope AP is not quickly satisfied and keep working on the system to make the team play better for 80 to 90 minutes. It’s great to see Bigi scores.
    On the Cisse subject, I think the team will be better if Ba and Cisse swap positions. Cisse is Inzaghi type, he always play on the shoulder of last defender and he is a goal poacher and good finisher, but I don’t think Ba will be happy and posibly leave if he has to play on the wing.

• jammylambo

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:02 AM

plays on the should haha ! when you consider how often hes caught offside by 10 yards i find that hard to believe. love the guy but my god someone needs teach him the offside rule.

• cyprus

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Best game for a long time, despite the man advantage fact.
    The two forwards constantly harassed their defenders, both played well. Regarding Cisse: remember how some people had written off Ba in the second half of last season? Don’t write this kid off, he’s out of form and overly concerned about it. When that happens, u must play like a lion, for the team. He did that, well.
    Our midfield was excellent! Cabaye will have to work hard to shift Marveaux out, frankly. I relish a Marveaux, HBA, Anita MF set up. I gave Marveaux the MOM, because I thought all would be voting for Anita, who was sublime, but I see he’s leading that chart!
    Defense? Clean sheet, excellent play all round, wish those ‘haters’ on here would give it up… just one wobble, all game.
    People sometimes ask, ‘have u ever been to a game’, to prove their point. Question should really be: ‘ have u ever played the game?’

• JDdubai

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Just looked at the table, if we had won 3 of the last 4 “easy” games we would be joint 3rd!!!!! AAAAARRGGHHHH

Oh well, some hard games coming up, probably wiser to look over the shoulder for the time being. Feels like a good opportunity missed though.

• Santon03

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:12 AM

jammy

it could be the passer was too late. That’s why we have cabaye.

• JDdubai

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:15 AM

As for Cisse, he never archs his run which is key thing as a forward, he always runs straight towards goal so will be offside more often than not, and the time when Ba had it on the right and Cisse was unmarked in the middle in the second half, no excuse for that he should have hit the brakes and made sure he was behind the ball.

He seems a bit dense to be honest, always has that stupid grin on his face when he has just done something stupid..whats worse is that it doesnt look like anyone is teaching him the right way to do it either.

• cyprus

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Dubai, he ‘looks dense’? That is low, man. I am presuming you look real nerdy and sophisticated.

• Santon03

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:25 AM

cyprus

most of the games we have 2 different half, not just little wobble in a game.
    1 bad unplayable unwatchable half.
    1 excellent half.

• cyprus

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Santon, can’t disagree with that… Our team has been terrible, all round, for a while now, that’s why I’m not sure it’s right to point at two particular players. Your namesake is pretty good though, Enrique’s departure extremely well filled 🙂 In fact, I can Santon getting on the scoreboard, soon. At Stoke he had the best chance and last night he also ‘made’ that goal.

• Santon03

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:31 AM

cyprus

“Have you played the game?” I think all of us have played the game, since we are football mania.
    But we are not that good since we didn’t get paid or played professionally or since Carr is not interested in our skills 😛

• Santon03

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:34 AM

cyprus

Yup, Santon is the best and the most consistent player we have for 90 minutes. I hope the others can be like him.

• bills-son

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Two big plus points for me last night were Tiote and Marveaux. Although fortunate not to get booked Tiote was back to near his best. Marveaux showed that he could be the creative answer in midfield and hopefully Pards keeps playing him so that his confidence and contribution grows. The other plus point last night was the spirit in the team and effort, there doesn’t look to be any problems in the camp and that’s a good sign. Having said that Cisse has stopped smiling non stop as I’m sure most have noticed.

• cyprus

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:38 AM

You’re probably right, Santon. I’ve never before asked that question on here, because it is unnecessary, and one has to look at the other person’s arguments, even if he disagrees. So, I won’t ask it again, but I guess the question should be: “have you ever played the game well?”, even if we aren’t professional level!

• Slank

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Excellent win and a clean sheet. That will boost the confidence of all the players.

I too am not too sure of the formation but it worked and whilst many on here applaud Wigan for playing football from the back it was very predictable and therefore Pardew had our players high up the pitch and pressing against their defenders which blunted Wigan’s way of playing. Cisse and Ba really got amongst them and showed a lot of energy.

I thought Anita and Marveaux were outstanding. Both are very comfortable on the ball and both can see a pass and/or in Marveaux’s case an opportunity to weave his way past defenders. Also well done to little Bigi who was composed on the ball and scored a screamer.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:40 AM

God there’s some moaning whingeing people on here who I think have never the game at a decent level

• Ian Toon

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Jesper- what a wonderful world! Good morning. Your absolutely right it was a fluid 4-4-2 but often 4-3-3; which just shows that playing a pass and move game is the way to go. Formations are always less important than players performing and interchanging in a fluid system. For me Ba was the MOM and the key to relieving the tension. Helped by playing against 10 men. We have to find a way of keeping Ba on board with an improved contract. Santon, Anita and Marve were the best of the rest. Simpson had a good game. Wigan confirmed my long held view that they often flatter to deceive – they looked good with a flurry of passes but didn’t really hurt us. Kone was their best player for me. For the penalty and sending off – having now seen it on TV- the defender was not goal side and Cisse did enough to win the penalty.There was encouraging movement between Ba and Cisse. Thet can play together.. Pardew’s tactics were spot on – he negated the threat of Beasjour(!) by Cisse playing on the right.
    Munster- we’ll you had to wait but can you now see the long awaited formation. You will recall as long ago as late August my 4-2-3-1 or variety thereof with Anita and Marveaux in the roles they played last night. Factor into a starting side 2 new defenders plus Cabaye and HBA and what a side. Marve looked fit for those bursts at the heart of the Wigan defence . Let’s enjoy whilst recognising we still have a lot to do.
    Reading posts this morning – interesting to note Drama Queens ( Beattie 25, matty NUFC and Catchy)more intent on being seen to be right themselves with historic Whinging not related to what was unfolding in front of their eyes. Too many preconceptions in particular from Beattie. Rightly taken to task by Ibiza( sure is a good morning) and Ruddy.

• Santon03

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:44 AM

cyprus

I don’t know about playing well or not hahaha.
    I only played near professionally when I was in my university team, that’s about it. Now I just playing with my friends.

• Slank

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Geordiedoonsouth

Some ‘fans’ are only ever content when they can have a good moan, groan and whinge, hence the large number of comments in the last week. Probably with them is that they rarely, if ever, come up with sensible and/or realistic suggestions to correct the horrors they are forever seeing on the field and off the field.

• cyprus

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Bills-son, agree all the way there. Still, I think if we had conceded we would have been very nervous, though it’s understandable. And we can’t give up on our star forward so fast, surely.
    What was the big change last night? AP has been reading my posts 🙂 1) run, hustle, when you don’t have the ball; 2) make yourself available, give the man with the ball more than one choice. Simple, eh? 😉

• cyprus

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Slank, your perfectly good argument loses all its potency by those quotes. Shame.

• Santon03

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Geordiedoonsooth and Slank

I think most of including me moaned about how bad we played, we expected the team to play like last season.
    We are not looking to get top 6, just the style the team played, and it became worse when we were beaten at home and recently promoted sides. Just the playing style and inconsistency in a game.

• Slank

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Cyprus,

I think the big change was that Ba and Cisse were very energetic and were defending from the front (as Barca do so well).

The other change was that Marveaux was playing mostly in the centre which he prefers instead of isolated on the wing. He can see a pass almost like Cabaye and can weave past defenders almost like Ben Arfa. He was able to do this because he had Anita alongside who probably had the best game since joining the club and showed why the club paid so much for him. These two could only be so effective because they had Tiote and then Bigi as the defensive rock in midfield with Jonas do his bit but which seems less and less and less effective.

• Slank

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Cyprus,

I put them in quotes as I have often wondered whether some on here and other Newcastle blogs are fans as there comments are nearly always negative even when we win and/or play well.

BTW, are you getting all the rain. It’s chucking it down here Paphos.’

• cyprus

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Slank,
    Agreed all the way. Can’t get it regarding Jonas. He was, yes, my favourite player! What’s the deal? Loss of form? Reading some venomous posts? Loss of adventurous spirit? Although no bullet, he has decent speed and excellent dribble. If you need reminding, look at his goals last season, pure class. Can’t explain, it certainly ain’t age. I’d rest him, just to get the hunger back.

• Ian Toon

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Geordie- Your right to question the football knowledge and understanding of many posters. At the game there were some fans complaining about Pardew’s substitutions which were enforced.
    I read Beattie’s which tells you a lot about what sort of fan he is!!

• bills-son

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Cyprus – we didn’t play particularly well but sometimes, a cliche I know, the result is far more important than the performance especially when your confidence is down after four defeats on the trot. I hate to even use the word relegation but last time the team was devoid of team spirit and fight this one, apart from the horror show at Southampton, isn’t. We’ve got some tough games coming up this month so we aren”t out of the woods yet but the last two battling performances are a step in the right direction.

Got to add to my previous post that Guti looked tired and slow last night. He was the one passenger last night and the team can”t carry too many more performances like that.

• cyprus

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Nope,
    all fine in Nicosia! a bit cloudy.

• Ian Toon

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Cyprus- Jonas has lost form but I would not write him off just yet like so many on here.

• Santon03

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Me especially moaned about AP’s excuses and hoofball.

• cyprus