The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Massive Win For Newcastle – Bigi Introduces Himself – Video

9:34 am, Tuesday, December 4th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 19 Comments

This was a massive win for Newcastle – make no mistake about it – because wins bring the confidence back to the players and the team, and yes – we may have been a little lucky with the sending off of Figueroa after 13 minutes – but it was a definite penalty and then a no brainer for the sending off,  because the Wigan man was the last man and stopped a Newcastle goal scoring opportunity.

Gael Bigirimana after scoring sensational goal – I did it – I scored

We were a little surprised after the game that the Wigan manager and players thought it was a harsh decision, but it was only harsh in that it spoiled the game, as has happened a lot this season in the Premier League with players being sent off.

But we were due some luck and we got it, and in those first 12 minutes Newcastle looked good and ready for the game, and were closing Wigan down well, and of course after Demba Ba’s penalty conversion it was fairly easy sailing to our first win in the last eight games.

We needed the win very badly, and Alan Pardew had no doubts after the game it was a big win for the lads:

“It’s a massive win for us. We knew we needed three points.” “The pressure was on us, but we took the invention we had at Stoke and took it on really well.”

“It’s been hard with injuries and losing games, it’s a new experience for us but I think we’re coping well. We need to stick together and show what a quality team we are.”

And the game was put beyond any doubt after 71 minutes when Gael Bigirimana hit a wonderful left foot shot high into the back of the net,  for his first ever goal for Newcastle, and his first in the Premier League – in fact it was his first goal in first class football since in the 28 games he played for Coventry he never scored.

Alan Pardew was speechless at what he saw from the just-turned 19 year-old, who seems another bargain buy by Newcastle:

“I was just speechless.” “When I scored I was thinking ‘Wow, I have scored in the Premier League. It’s my first ever as a professional’.”

If you haven’t yet seen the goal yet – here it is – and Bigi is going to become a big player for Newcastle – just wait and see.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Gael Bigirimana · Newcastle News · Premier League

19 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Aww bless. He was totally made up by that – I hope he goes on that way.

• 2 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Tsunki…You must be a bit disappointed they didn’t get one back. Didn’t you have 3-1 down?

• 3 Ian Magpie // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Good result for the lads last night! Will have done them the world of good and now we have to keep it going!

Have supported newcastle since my first game in 1979. Have seen more lows than highs but have always been there. Great memories of the Gallowgate end in full voice as one huge open terrace and witnessed the noise and passion that really did make us the best supporters in the land! I kid you not we were the best! I stood in the corner and many a time have been hoisted uo on a barrier to lead thouands of fans in singing their hearts out for the Toon! Wether it was Cambridge Utd at home with 15,000 other die hards in the old second division or Sunderland with 36,000 I was there!

However with much sadness I have decided that this will be my last season as a season ticket holder! This hasn’t been an easy choice to make but its my decision and i will stick by it.

One thing that has been lost from our ground is the noise and passion of the Geordies! This isn’t just a problem for Newcastle it has happened all throughout English football. Where once there was great noise all the way through the match, there is now pretty much silence and last night was no exception. If ever there was a match that the team needed us fans to help them, this was it! Instead of getting behind the team there was a wall of silence with the odd person looking at their bloody mobile phone!!!WTF!!!

I never thought all those years ago that our stadium and its atmosphere would be so poor! Infact its pathetic! And its been for too long! If I am going to pay good money to watch my team I want to take part in a great atmosphere the kind that they have in Germany, not be told to sit down and risk being thrown out!!!! I dont want to sit like a bottle of milk in the cold. I want to marvel at the noise and see the lads on the pitch respond! If they can do this in Germany then why not here????????????????? The even sader fact is that I am not the only one who feels this way. Modern football has killed the atmosphere and the occasion that I was brought up on and it breaks my heart!

I love the toon but sorry, I just cant bare to sit cold in a morgue anymore! I looked around the stadium last night and all the memories came flooding back. Only to realise that sadly that is just what they are memories and that I just cant be apart of the sit quietly and moan brigade! Its a real shame!

• 4 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Tsunki
    No one looked more shocked that he scored than him! Bless him looked close to tears!!!
    What a goal though!

• 5 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Sage
    Obviously it takes a massive toll on the squad but a few on here think that it doesnt just nice to here another managers take on it!

Rotonda
    Aye anita was absolutly fantastic last night, we’ve seen him gradually improve game by game and last night we really started to see what he’s all about
    Also bigi, wow great second half coming on for tiote slotted into the game no worries and what a goal!!
    Marv was fantastic made some great runs
    As for demba and cisse they looked completly different they linked up ba hassled everyone and cisse made some great runs in the channel
    Also how was willo still getting stick he done what he had to do and done it well

Pushy
    Can i have some of what you were drinking last night? Sure why not

• 6 rainrix // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM

A mate i was watching with had us to win 2-1 with ba scoring first, its amazing how someones loyalty goes out the window when there’s money on the line :)

• 7 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Ian

Not sure if you have seen this before but will post anyway.

Here is a petition to bring safe standing to UK stadiums like they have in Germany.

All please feel free to sign it.

• 8 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Ian…Sorry to hear that. Obviously I don’t attend, nor have I ever, but that is a real shame to hear. Both the fact the atmosphere is being stamped out and that you wont be there anymore giving your undying support.

• 9 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Ian

It is unfortunately the same as any sport in this country now.

A lot of the time stewards stop things which are a bit of fun for safety reasons which is nonsense…most things are just too corporate.

It’s almost like a few higher up wants to go to a game, sit and watch in peace and quiet, have a sandwich and champagne and not be bothered by the 52,000 fans who paid to go there not got given the tickets as part of a sponsorship deal or aren’t using the game as a way to impress a new client.

If crowd become too quiet they will lose TV interest no doubt…..but that is the only way they will address the issue….if it costs them money.

• 10 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:52 AM

TS…Can you post that petition link?

• 11 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM

• 12 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:55 AM

sorry ibiza…forgot to copy the link in

I urge people to contact the club, other local clubs, local mp’s, councillors….anyone of any influence to try and bring it back

• 13 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:56 AM

TS…Cheers

• 14 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Last one didn’t work, maybe this one willl…

• 15 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM

thanks ibiza

everyone sign this if you want to bring the atmosphere back

• 16 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:01 AM

TS…No worries. Sending it to my mates (okay, just the one mate, oh alright, some bloke I met at the supermarket some time :) ) to get them to sign as well.

Health and safety gone mad. Why don’t we just wrap everyone in bubble wrap?

• 17 Ian Magpie // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Lads……It really does break my heart! I came out of the ground pretty despondent instead of being pumped and full of Buzz. I have signed the online petition and there is a real growing group who are pushing the safe standing issue as they have in Germany. This is promising and the encouraging news is that they are going to try a trial in Scotland. If it works there it will put presure on to work down here!

Make no mistake, anyone who stood on the Gallowgate will tell you that it was no fairytale! The Gallowgate toilets…………………third world country standard at best! No one wants to go back to the days of trouble and I am so pleased that side of football has gone! However until the ground atmosphere improves, I am a beaten fan! Its a shame many on this blog wont have witnessed a real English football atmosphere! You think nowadays the clubs in Turkey are loud…………….We were better!!! Sadly thats a long time ago now! But if fans want to sit quietly and watch the match rather than support the team then thats up to you but for me………I cant take part in it no longer!

• 18 Dannyo // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:06 AM

That goal will settle Biggie a little bit, loved that he got it, i could never have predicted it tho.
    Has the lad gained a few punds? His arms looked bigger and he looked a little taller too.
    Am i wrong?

• 19 Munster Mag // Dec 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Ian, u are pulling at my heartstrings ! I remember some great surges on the gallowgate in “the corner , the corner, the corner” etc etc, and great away days on terraces at places like Blackburn, Ipswich and even boring old Peterborough. Bloody health and safety and corporate security has taken over.

previous post: Latest Update On Injuries To Tiote, Santon And Ba