The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Sylvain Marveaux Gives Super Display For Magpies

9:54 am, Tuesday, December 4th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 29 Comments

Newcastle’s best player last night was Sylvain Marveaux, and he was given a surprise start by manager Alan Pardew, but the lad must have been impressing in training, because he was Newcastle’s star man last night in his best game ever for Newcastle   and he leads in our poll for Man of the Match with 37%, just edging out Vurnon Anita so far on 36%, and the Dutch International put in another fine display last night in the middle of the park for the Magpies.

Sylvain Marveaux – put on great display last night

It was just what Sylvain needed after two years of injury hell, and he played very well last nigh and at times looked a bit like Ben Arfa, and a Sylvain Marveaux in form, paired with Ben Arfa would give Newcastle a big threat down both wings.

The former Rennes winger was obviously pleased with his performance as he had this to say on Newcastle’s web-site after the game:

“I haven’t played many games in the Premier League, so it was good to be on the pitch from the start and to play 90 minutes.” “To be a part of a win like that gives me great pleasure.”

“That is my favorite position, so I was happy to play there tonight.” “Now I am just looking forward to the next game. This is only one match so I hope I can build on this and play a lot of games and get us more wins.”

“It was very important because after losing four games we had to win at home.” “We deserved more at Stoke but tonight we worked hard as a team, we kept our confidence and it was a good win.”

“It was a lot easier after the penalty and the red card but we did everything to get the second and third goals.”

Newcastle remain 14th in the league table and are now 5 points above the drop zone, and are next game is at Fulham next Monday night, and we are tied on 17 points with the London side.

here;’s your chance to vote if you haven’t already done so.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Wigan?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Premier League · Sylvain Marveaux

29 responses so far ↓

• 1 rainrix // Dec 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM

So is HBA back for fulham? If so who do we drop? I’d personally drop jonas although i doubt pards would oblige, i hope marveux isn’t dropped, last night showed what he’s about, although thats who i imagine would make way. Maybe cisse and have him on the right instead.

• 2 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM

it would be difficult though…jonas for me is the one to drop but maybe pardew will want him for his defensive duties in an away game

• 3 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Rainrix
    Well santoon came off injured so maybe jonas will fill in at lb?

• 4 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM

safe standing in stadiums petition

• 5 rainrix // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:02 AM

That made me giggle a bit, even if the photoshopping is terrible.

• 6 BelfastMagpie // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Brillant last nyt, Him & Ben Arfa in the same team should be good.

• 7 rainrix // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM

tads… Pards said they weren’t serious injuries, so hopefully tiote, santon and ba will be fit.

Its nice to have selection dilemmas for once in what seems like forever :) .

• 8 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM

belfast

It would be brilliant

tiote breaking play…feeding into anita and marvoux….then getting it forward to ba, cisse and ben arfa…it’s very interesting.

i know it’s a while away and anything can happen but how does cabaye get back in?

• 9 BelfastMagpie // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Jonas or Cisse will be dropped for Benny hopefully.

• 10 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:06 AM

rainrix….Seems he was born with a white body :)

Funny picture.

No way to guess line-ups at this stage, let’s see who’s back and knock on wood we don’t lose anyone in the EL.

Well, I am off for a bit, there isn’t much left to say except, Pardew Out!

Take it easy lads and lasses.

• 11 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Rainrix
    Very nice we actually have options going to fulham!

• 12 BelfastMagpie // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM

The ammount of times Cisse gets caught offside is awful play like.

It must really piss the other players off.
    The most offside striker I’ve ever seen lol

• 13 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM

would anyone who attends games be interested in seeing safe standing back in ground?

like the use in germany

• 14 rainrix // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Ibiza… I know ,bit pointless when its 6 days away, what i was trying to get at was i hope marv isn’t dropped straight off for ben arfa when he comes back after that performance.

Relevance to the article damn it!!! :)

• 15 BelfastMagpie // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Anita was brill last nyt too, good to see.

• 16 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Rainrix…Well don’t, how dare you! :)

Catch you later.

• 17 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:13 AM

With injuries and niggles going to be a interesting team we put out Thursday night.

Back to last night BIG WIN, good display all-round. Anita and Marveux looked good together in midfield.

Don’t know if it would work – Would be interesting if all fit to go in with a fluid five man midfield of Tiote, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Anita and Marveux -

As for Monday why not have Tiote, Ben Arfa, Anita and Marveux -

• 18 rainrix // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Ibiza… Sorry sergeant i forgot the blog police rules :)

Catch you later, oh and bring back some beer danke!

• 19 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM

charlie

I think tiote, anita, marvoux, ben arfa, cisse and ba all in the team.

For me jonas misses out for Ben arfa…he had a decent game last night but unfortunately the rest were just better

• 20 jeff // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:22 AM

If pardew had a choice between jonas and ben arfa, he would pick jonas. Just face it, jonas is not gonna get dropped any time soon.

I kinda want ben arfa to come back after fulham to give marv an extra game to REALLY stake a claim

• 21 pieceofpapiss // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:23 AM

We’ll thats the doom and gloom of the last few weeks lifted!!
    Cant belive some people calling for Pardew’s head, idiots!!

On a serious note, how well would we have performed againts 11 men? I dont think the score would have been any different. Tiote, Bigi and Marveaux were outstanding. Back 4 still looked as though they were lacking something, but thats always been our problem.

Lets take this positive mentality to Bourdeaux and gan wild with the score. 1-6 to the toon like hew!

• 22 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Transfer Sage

Not a bad formation to go into Monday with same back four as last night if Santon is fit.

Plenty of movement and fluidity if they can gell. Wouldn’t like to be a defender with Ben Arfa and Marvo both running at you at full speed

• 23 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:27 AM

WTF!?!?!?
    Disgraceful

• 24 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Pieceofpapiss

Yes I agree calling for Pardews head was too soon. I said that myself, too early I judge him this year.

I do agree with the criticism he had received though for repeating the same failing tactics over and over.

Last night everything seemed to click.

Playing against ten men helped…especially when they took if jordi Gomez as he is much bette than di santo or kone .

It was a great win an the way we were playing I would have backed us to win against 11 men.

• 25 Transfer Sage // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Tads

I heard it on the news this morning.

What goes through some people’s minds I can’t comprehend. It’s a game of football, if you get a bad decision just get on with it, it’s a game played for fun, especially at that level.

Hope those involved are put away for a long long time.

• 26 Rotonda heights // Dec 4, 2012 at 10:32 AM

piece of papiss

I think you have to appreciate people were really peed off. 4 losses in a row playing terible football all season and seemingly no change coming any time soon.

Then last night we finally got what we have been asking for all season. We ditched 442 hoof ball, played ball to feet in a 433 / 4231 and hey presto!.

Of course we had this last season and won 6/7 on the spin, so I just hope and pray Pardew will keep that template for the rest of the season now as we suddenly look a team again.

With MA we would never have got another manager so we know we have pardew long term and I think the majority of us ust wanted him to change the stye which he did last night. I just pray it wasn’t for one night only.

• 27 south coast toon // Dec 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

hurray seems like ages sinse we won,marv looked good and hope he gets another game soon, maybe at cisses expense hopefully bigi will of reminded him of the sort of goals he can score, i though gutti got stuck in and deserves a bit more credit than he gets, anita was full on, bigi fitted in well and woooooooo what a goal he looked so chuffed with it….on another note i though amebi booking was bloody harsh when you look at how many dirty tackles mc gready or mac gregor got away with.lets hope this lifts them because they looked a really good side at times last night wooooooooo, and santon was playing really well, there were 3 or 4 of them last night running at them with the ball at pace and it was great to see, now they need to pull there trousers up and projuce again against fulam, if they do i will try and sort out me spelling lol, we r only a few points below arsenal…

• 28 danuneek // Dec 4, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I said before he would play better in a more central position. He’s not a winger! I think someone slagged me off for saying that, but I guess one has to appreciate 90% of the people on here don’t know what their talking about!

• 29 lotoplus // Dec 4, 2012 at 4:36 PM

His passing skill is excellent !…He doesn’t loose the ball easily and tries to be available to his partners. I hope to see him soon with HBA.

previous post: Massive Win For Newcastle – Bigi Introduces Himself – Video