Danny Simpson’s True Intentions – To Be Free Agent In Summer

We have an inkling that Danny Simpson is doing the same thing as Jose Enrique did last year, when he kept saying he liked playing for Newcastle, but would not commit to signing a new deal, and he eventually signed on at Liverpool last year for about £6M.

Danny Simpson – becomes a free agent this summer

And we think Danny’s aim is to leave the club in the summer, but try to make as few waves as possible until then,

Alan Pardew is still playing him in the first team, although that may change if a club comes in for him in January and offers a reasonable fee, because Newcastle are likely to take it – as long as they can bring in a suitable replacement in January.

Danny was asked in the local press this morning whether he still wanted to be part of Pardew’s squad come February:

“Of course, it’s a while away yet, but if I have it my way, hopefully, I’ll be playing in the next phase. I love playing in Europe.” “I’m enjoying every minute of it.”

But the question should have been is it his intention to leave the club before next September?

What Danny says is that he could still be at Newcastle in February, but still not have signed a new deal to stay on Tyneside, so it would be  even better for him because he will become a free agent in the summer, and could get a decent deal worked out with another club, simply because they don’t have to pay any transfer fee to Newcastle.

Simpson has said many time over the last 18 months that he would love to stay, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating – so how come he hasn’t signed a deal that Newcastle have offered him?

We’d be surprised if Danny is at the club come September.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• tequilamag

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Q for torrent of Simmo abuse.

• toonarmydownsouth

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM

The question is are we ambitious enoungh for danny what with all those big italian teams after him!!

• toonarmydownsouth

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Tequila
    just for the record this isnt simmo abuse just laughing at the media!

• tequilamag

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I know mate. Defence is the one area where pards has not been able to put his own stamp on the team(with the exception of Santon). We all know that CB is a priority but Simmo is also ripe for an upgrade. Would have been happy to get him signed up for a new contract as cover but this seems unlikely.

• rainrix

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I actually though that simmo was excellent against wigan….. defensively ;). He bailed out colo and willo a few times mainly when they were trying to be too clever.

Shockingly his forward play was none existent 🙂

• nufc_eire

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Bring in debuchy and have danny as backup for the remainder of the season if we cant sell him. Love to see us try and bid for Adil Rami from Valencia. He’s 6’3″ and fairly fast as well and would be great beside debuchy. They’re in serious financial trouble and this could be like a Cazorla type deal. Even see if we could get Feghouli as well for 15m all in!! Ashley would love the idea of taking advantage of another struggling company’s misfortune. He could actually go for it if he thinks he’s getting a bargain

• tequilamag

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Rainrix, very few FBs are good at both. Not many Leighton Baines about. I am a bit old fashioned in that I think defenders should be judged on their defending. Always liked Simmo but if it`s an area we can improve then we should.

• mindshaft

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Simmos a decent enough defender albeit not world class, by all accounts (well his ex-missus) he’s spends money like wata ! presumably he’ll be able to double his money or get a huge signing on bonus if a club doesn’t have to pay to get him through the door … fair enough, he’s done a decent job for the toon and only ever had good things to say about the club and fans
    I don’t mind players leaving to earn as much as poss as long as they leave with dignity (albeit the press make that difficult by twisting every word said by players)

• rainrix

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM

tequila… True but i’d say santons goodish at both, maybe improve his defensive skills a bit more. I’ve honestly stopped expecting attacking play from simmo, although he is relatively solid so I’m not complaining. Obviously i’d like a full back like santon who can actually get out of defence himself without hoofing it, by the looks of things he’s off anyway

• Slank

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I think Simpson is going to be replaced irrespective of his wishes or wants.

I cannot see the club repeating what happened with Enrique.

Simpson is a good defender but in todays Premiership a fullback has to be good at defending and attacking and Simpson is next to hopeless at attacking. I had hoped that Tavernia would make the grade as he has an attacking instinct.

Against Wigan he showed little or no determination, energy or desire to initiate an attack or support an attack, unlike Santon who does it every game without fail. The Wigan left side had an easy time as they knew that he posed them no threat unlike Santon.

I would prefer a new left footed left back (Patrick Van Aanholt perhaps with Santon on the right) but will gladly welcome any new right back who can match Santon for attacking prowess and defending.

• cyprus

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM

If he’s ever read this blog, (and why not, would you not look up what people are saying about you?), he knows how venomous NUFC fans can be, despite his professionalism, despite the fact that he shored up our defense in the championship when the Taylors played there (RB) when we got relegated…
    And he seems like a nice lad who never criticised NUFC fans.
    Good luck mate, wherever you do decide to go, and keep giving your all for us, please

• Transfer Sage

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Simpson is the worst attacking fullback in the league. I can’t think of any others which are so reluctant to get forward and then have such poor delivery.

Not his fault, it’s just not his strength, but we need to improve.

Even watching players for west brom, reading, etc….they may not be great but certainly better than simpson.

I defended him a long time here but he hasn’t improved during the last couple years…that disappoints me about him.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Cyprus

I have nothing against him, he seemed like a nice lad (until this tulisa stuff came out), but I just don’t think he is good enough.

I don’t deny he trues in a game but I dont understand why he hasn’t worked on getting forward and improving his play a bit more.

• cyprus

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

He’s is not an attacking fullback, or a ‘flying fullback’, he’s a defender. Attacking full backs who are good at both roles are hard to come by… I can think of no more than 5 in the whole PL

• t00ntime

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Defensivly we arent going to get a better RB than simpson. Debuchy isnt better than simmo at defending and i dont think santon is either. The problem is nowadays fullbacks are attacking postions (not sure why)
    Debuchy is better going forward than simmo yes and so is santon but imo we shud have a option weather we want a defensive or offensive FB, If you know what i mean. We shud keep simmo AND sign debuchy. Letting simmo go solves nothing cause we will still only have 1 rb

• WorJordi

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Wigans Right back “Stam” was very impressive on Wednesday. Could be a good replacement for Danny Simpson who, if he wants to leave, the club should help him. He’s been a good reliable player. I can see him ending up at Fulham or the likes of.

• tequilamag

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM

TS , bit harsh mate , would not say he is the worst by any means. Like I said before defenders should be judged first and foremost by how well they defend. 15 clean sheets with Simmo playing last season suggests he is not anywhere near as bad as many would have it.

• WorJordi

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Hi everyone, hope everyone is having a good day.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM

tequila

name a worse attacking RB in the league?

Cyprus

He isn’t attacking…I dont expect him to have the level of a cafu or roberto carlos, but just to work on getting forward, have the odd one two, occupy a player to give ben arfa more room and to put a decent cross in every now and then.

I just expect that a pro footballer should always be looking to imrpove. I accept he won’t ever be a world class attacker but he should have at least kicked on and shown some effort to improve that side of his game.

• Scottiedog

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Danny is a proven premier league RB and we need to keep him!! Why get somebody in from the Dutch or French league in who is going to take half a season to get up to speed!?!?!?!?!? Just pay the guy the £30k a week that he wants and move on!!!

• Graeme

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM

If he goes – he goes, simple as that. I’m sure Mr Carr will know of one or two suitable candidates to replace him, if that’s what it boils down to.

Don’t think I will be losing too much sleep over this, one way or the other!!

• Transfer Sage

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:21 AM

also I would disagree he is good at defending…he is average.

His positioning is quite good, and he seems to read a situation to cover quite well or get on the line.

The main problem defensively is he seems to stand too deep off a player…lets them get a cross/shot in without having to beat him and also retreats into our box meaning if he gets the tackle wrong its a pen..which ends up him just standing off more.

also by not getting forward it just invites more pressure on himself meaning he has more defending to do as opposition wingers don’t need to track simmo when we attack.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM

scottie

he just isn’t good enough in the modern game.

wait and see which club he ends up at…i bet its either a newly promoted prem club or a championship one.

Just my opinion of it but can’t see him going to an established prem club at all.

• tequilamag

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM

TS on his first game back from injury he set up a goal in the EL . Santon for all his ability to bring the ball forward does not get many crosses in. Perhaps because he would have to cross with his weaker foot. Fergie looks the only one of our players who is constantly looking to get past a defender and whip in a cross., but he looks weak defensively. Singling out Simmo for a poor final ball whilst making a convenient scapegoat is not helpful. Its been a weakness for all our players this season.

• Dannyo

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Simmo is a defender in the best sense of the word.
    We want and need someone able to go forward and put a cross or a pass in, Simmo is incapable of that, and he knows it.
    Hence the reason for him staying back.
    He’s good defensivly i think, but if we want to update our game, you need a Debuchy type FB.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM

tequila

no doubt all our players have been poor with final balls this year.

simmo has never been good though…he can’t cross, just floats it into the box.

I dont expect beckham quality or beating a man…but a lot of the time ben arfa gets doubled up on and simmo has acres of room to cross and still just dinks it aimlessly into the box.

He is a professional and should be much better at that.

Defensively i would have him as an average full back…offensively like i said…i cant think of a full back that offers less going forward

• Blaydon-Toon

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Morning lads and lasses ! I Truley am our saviour as never seen the toon loose at SJP and was there for the Wigan game. All those who said Stam their RB was a constant threat all game totally agree he was their best player by a mile …. Anita for me was our best player by a mile can see his quality coming shining through ! Marv also impressed me but think playing him more central against 11 he may not have been as affective ! Finally on Simmo always like the lad as a defender but definitely lacks an attacking threat – he had loads of space at times and never went forward given they had 10 men means even just running into the space would have stretched Wigan but he very rarely went for it which made the second half less entertaining ! Ps mrs Blaydon loved it so could do it a bit more 🙂

• Transfer Sage

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM

tequila

santon may not get goals or assists much either…but its the intent he shows…he gets forward, makes quick runs, drags players out of position to free up room out wide for other players.

I still think santon has a long way to go, and whilst he might be ok with his left, I’d much rather have him on the right as he could beat his man and cross.

Fergie isn’t a full back for me, too weak and easy to shrug off the ball. I would have simpson ahead of fergie at full back all day long.

• Scottiedog

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

TS so is it worth losing a decent RB in Jan for £3m and being light for the rest of the season until we can get somebody upto speed?? Yes he is not a top drawer RB but he does do a good job!!

• tequilamag

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Blaydon, you do realise that you now have to attend all games both home and away. We cant` afford to let standards slip now. Pleased you got up for a good one mate.

• Blaydon-Toon

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Transfer totally agree on Santon but he is starting to get a few shots in now and did put in a lovely cross against Wigan but ultimately think HBA and Santon over lapping would make us a more fluid attacking threat which would cause any team a problem ! Are there any decent LB out there tho ?

• Dannyo

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM

@Scottie
    I’ll help answer your question to TS.
    Yes, it is worth. First of all, we get the money out of it, he’ll probably leave for free in the summer anyway. And 3mill now is a hell of a deal anyways, cause i think we’ll be lucky if we get 2 mill.
    2nd, the new player will be ready for the next season as he has half of one under his belt. Half a season now or half a season next year, what difference does it make?

• Transfer Sage

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:38 AM

scottie

I don’t think we would get 3mil for him to be honest. I also realise it’s a gamble bringing in another full back who hasn’t got prem experience mid season as they have no time to settle.

Ideally let him go in the summer for free (as whatever fee we receive isn’t going to be much really, rather have cover) and bring a right back in during january.

• Mr Random

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM

looking at the BBC Sport archives, have a look at what we could’ve got….

• Blaydon-Toon

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Cheers Tequila … Was actually thinking if the bloggers paid for my half season ticket I will go to the remaining home games that would guarantee us almost maximum points and a top 10 finish … Think it’s a small price to pay for the rest of you 🙂 bare in mind I have an 11 hour round trip to make every ones a winner look. Forward to my ticket will email address details once collection is sorted 🙂

• Slank

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Sage @ 28

Absolutely agree with you about Santon and Fergie.

I can’t remember a memorable (or any) Simpson assist unlike Santons against Wigan and Cisse’s first goal against Chelsea last season.

• Slank

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Blaydon @ 31

Patrick Van Aanholt ?

Always out on loan, not wanted by Chelsea. Has played for us and therefore ‘better the devil you know etc’. If I remember we all thought he was pretty good. I would think that Krul and Anita would welcome him.

• tequilamag

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Slank We scored from a Simmo cross against Bordeaux

• Blaydon-Toon

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Cheers tequila .. Will make a deal with u all – u lot group together and buy me a half season ticket lucky mascot at ever home game guarantee top 10 finish every one is a winner I do have an 11 hour round trip so good deal all round 🙂

• tequilamag

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Blaydon sounds like a bargain to me.

1 2 3 8