The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew Clearly Disappointed In Newcastle Youngsters

9:05 am, Friday, December 7th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 26 Comments

Newcastle gave a poor performance last night in Bordeaux, and the truth was that we were not in the game, and the home side won much easier than the 2-0 scoreline might suggest, and it maybe that the strategy of playing the youngsters in Europe is just not enough for this season.

Nile Ranger – in action last night

Newcastle’s best player last night was Rob Elliot, who kept the score down in the first half with four magnificent saves, and while Nile Ranger looked threatening and fast at times, not many of our youngsters impressed last night, although Gael Bigirimana had a decent game in midfield.

Alan Pardew was clearly disappointed with the displays of a number of Newcastle’s top youngsters:

“The truth of it is that a lot of our young players who played tonight, I was expecting a little bit more.” We will have a good look at them now because I don’t think the opportunity is going to come around for them again this season unless we really suffer like we did tonight, in terms of who was available – because I didn’t leave anyone behind who was fit.”

“I think they need to learn a little bit more about this game away from the black and white, and the pressure of the jersey here and the level we are playing at.” I will probably look at loaning a few of those who played tonight, hopefully after January when I have got a stronger position in the squad”.

That’s a big hint there that Newcastle will bring in a number of players in January, and that some of our youngsters will be shipped out on loan to learn their trade at other clubs next month.

And expect us to be linked with a number of players – all over the park – in defense, midfield and with strikers too from now through January.

Last night’s performance was simply not good enough for a Newcastle side playing in Europe, and it dampened the enthusiasm coming out of Monday night’s game against Wigan, when our lads looked back on track again.

Mike Williamson may be the only player who started last night, who will make the line-up on Monday night at Craven Cottage, and we have to hope for a much better performance and a win in London in three days time.

We cannot field two completely different teams that can do well at the moment, simply because the squad is not good enough or big enough, but we knew that at the end of last season.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Europa League · European Competition · Newcastle Youth

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Viktoria Plzen, Fenerbahce, Bordeaux, Steaua Bucuresti, Dnipro, Genk, Rubin Kazan, Lyon, Lazio, Metalist Kharkiv, Hannover, CFR Cluj, Olympiakos, Benfica

What are people’s favourite draw and least favourite?

I would say genk, Lyon or Hannover would be good.

• 2 Carryingcoals // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

It was very disappointing to watch.

– However judging by the comments made by Pardew, he clearly and genuinely believes his squad will be reinforced come January. Whether that’s through returning players or new arrivals, we will see…

• 3 rainrix // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:11 AM

SACK THE MANAGER!!!!!!!!!

• 4 rainrix // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Hm the seeded group looks quite weak tbh, are athletico unseeded? Out of them hmmm who the hell are viktoria plzen? Tbh on our day i see us as being more than capable of beating most of those teams. Of course we haven’t really had “A day” all season so :)

• 5 Carryingcoals // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Conaldo

To be honest mate, by February I think we will be a different team. I know it’s easy to say and we could lose players in Jan or have key injuries – who knows – BUT I can’t see us being as bad as we are now.

I think we will be a lot more rhythmic and will be passing the ball better, akin to what we were last season.

None of those teams install fear in me, not at all, on our day we could beat them. Sure, why not? Yet at the same time I could see everyone of those sides, some I know nothing about, beat us in both legs!

There isn’t really a team I’d favour over another at this point, what matters more is how we are playing when the games come around.

What I would say is the atmosphere of Fenerbahce or Lazio away would play a part.

Excited to see who we get.

• 6 Transfer Sage // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM

If you put 8 youngsters/fringe players in the team all at once what do you expect.

Yougnsters need to be played 2/3 at a time max really otherwise they won’t be able to get into the game as they will be on the backfoot the whole game and wont show what they can do.

Even man utd’s youngsters went down to Cluj at hom on wednesday.

• 7 Dannyo // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM

@Rainrix
    U ok mate?

• 8 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Wizard…I think what we are looking at here is we probably need to sign 2 or 2 players in January anyway.

…I don’t think we can afford not to sending all of out on loan for 5 month. Both Sammy and Fergy won’t make it big if they cannot cut it in the Championship.

Lately it has been down hill for both of them – they need to develope and I don’t think they’ll do that here.

I would probably loan out Alfi as well; Pards and the board were a bit premature with the progress of our youngsters I think.

If our squad were a bit stronger and larger I woulf have kept Fergy and Sammy on. It is just my opinion anyway :-)

• 9 Transfer Sage // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Pardew seems genuinely convinced players will be coming in during january. This pleases me and makes me confident as he is usually very cautious mentioning these things after carroll was sold when he said he wouldn’t be and after the summer where he said he thought debuchy would be coming.

Hopefully 2-4 good players will come in…ideally with a bit of experience.

• 10 Rotonda heights // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Slow down ed!!!

I find it strange that Pardew and others don’t seem to take the the Europa too seriously and have a bit of a cavalier attitude as to whether we stay in it or not.

We battled away to get 5th to qualify for Europa now some people are saying we are better out of it so we do better in the league to qualify for Europe next year!! I’m lost on that one.

That fatigue excuse really doesn’t ring true as we virtually field a reserve team in most Europa games.
    I know not a lot was riding on it last night but it’s worrying that our youngsters aren’t really taking the chance to step up more, Bigi excluded.

Abeid, Sammi and Fergie were all disappointing and it would have been good to see Amaltifano get a run. At least Ranger put hmself about even if we hit way too many hit and hope long balls.

Sammi might have some tricks but I have never seen a worse passer of a ball over a short distance and when he loses the ball he always goes and fouls someone to get it back. More frustrating than Shola!

With someone as slow as Willo like on their 2nd goal you desperately need to play a sweeper. Hopefully it will be Colo and Perch v Fulham.

• 11 stuart no9 // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM

carryingcoals Personally I was more disappointed at how we approached the game, countless long balls and no sort of cohesive approach play.- i agree – but imo that is the pardew way of playing football. can you really blame the kids for that performence, when their boss tells them to play ;like that. the pardew brand of football is now running throughout the club- and that cant be a could thing for the future.

• 12 rainrix // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Dannyo… Just trolling mate ;)

• 13 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM

*or 3

• 14 Transfer Sage // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM

rotonda

I dont think fatigue is playing a big part at all.

I think it is more down to the players and manager not being used to preparing for 2 games in a week…that combined with totally changing the side means that we aren’t getting into a good rhythm.

The only english team in EL doing well in the prem league is spurs…they have the best team but also make the fewest changes for EL games.

• 15 Dannyo // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

@rainrix
    Figured it was something along those lines ;)

• 16 Carryingcoals // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

sage

that’s a good point, Spurs have used strong players. I’ve watched them three times in Europe and they drew those three games. However in each game it would be fair to say that they should have won.

Spurs should have won that group by about 6 points IMO.

• 17 Dannyo // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

As TS says, it’s not being tired or fatigue that breaks us, it’s the incapability to prepare for two matches in close succession with two very different teams.

• 18 Transfer Sage // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM

carrying

I’m not suggesting we playa full strength side but you need at least 6/7 first team players in the side…

…i hate the idea of resting a player in case he gets tired instead of resting when he is tired.

• 19 ballerfan2 // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Transfer Sage is absolutely right, you can’t play practically a full team of young reserve players and expect anything, certainly not in a European competition. However, Pardew is in a Catch22 position. We have so many injuries just now – we lost Ben Arfa in the last European game, so we can’t afford to take the risk of losing more through an unfortunate injury, particularly when we had already qualified. Ideally the youngsters should be introduced into a confident team one by one. As things stand we don’t have that luxury and the result was a reserve team style performance. Incidentally to those who are still moaning about the long ball game – I didn’t see it that way at all. I thought we tried very hard to keep it short and on the deck. Of course there were some attempted (and generally poor) long passes as any team will do, even Chelsea/Man U, but to suggest that was our tactic last night is just wrong.

• 20 Les Grossman // Dec 7, 2012 at 10:01 AM

too many on here are blinkered and think our youngsters are the next big thing.
    They are simply NOT good enough currently.

Sammi is overhyped and not the player people are makinbg him out to be. I agree, YES AGREE whole heartedly with Rotonda here on his very accurate assessment of Sammi!

Ferguson for me, one decent cross in 10??? its true and yes he has pace and does on occasions go past players but far too featherweight, and not consistent enough….people need to take a step back and look at Bigi……never let us down when he has played. Played really well, a xlass player in the waiting. When the likes of Sammy, shane and Mehdi loomk to leagues lower than Bigi, this should surely start alarm bells ringing. They have been here alot longer than that lad yet he has taken over all of them.

Sorry, but for me, sell them on to lower league clubs and invest in better players!!

• 21 Les Grossman // Dec 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Bellerfan Transfer sage.
    Very true, but surely if these youngsters are ‘Future stars’ as we keep hearing, they should have given a better performance than they did? they all play regular together for the reserves, i watch them.

They are simply not good enough.
    Too many on here think Sammi is god, but it cannot be based on his skill, technique and ability??? It has to be based on sentiment……because the lad is not good enough for this league. Bare in mind he is 20/21 year old.

He should have made it by now!!!!

• 22 ballerfan2 // Dec 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I do feel quite strongly that Sammi particularly should be withdrawn from 1st team duties just now. I wonder if the impact he had earlier this season has added too much pressure onto the lad but he has really been very poor these last few games and is not doing himself any favours. Shola – frustrating or what!? Either falling over under any contact or giving away needless free kicks. His role MUST BE as impact sub surely. To those who were wanting to see more of Abeid (and I was one), Pardew knows best as clearly he is not yet ready for the first team. Disappointing also to see that Pardew doesn’t yet see Amalfitano good enough for a place either. On the positive side Eliot does look like a good keeper after his early performances.

• 23 Les Grossman // Dec 7, 2012 at 10:10 AM

PS Nile Ranger always looks a handful when he plays.
    If he can grow the fIIck up and ditch his hanger on crew….he deserves more of a chance than any of Ferg/Ameobi/Abeid

• 24 Les Grossman // Dec 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Bellerfan agreed mate.
    As I just said, sammi is now 21.

The only thing going for him is his pace for a big lad. I dont think he is gonna make it at the club. Its all just sentiment and hope from a vast majority of fans.

Bigi is the only shining light for me at the moment amongst the younguns.

And Maybe Ranger of he can sort his head out!!!
    Both can mix it and both have alot to their games for young players!

• 25 ballerfan2 // Dec 7, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Les G – I hear what you say and clearly Pardew was also disappointed that the youngsters didn’t cope with the situation well. However putting them in en masse is still not ideal and it is too much to expect our reserve team kids to match a more experienced (and I appreciate that the French were not at full strength) team AWAY in Europe. All we can hope for is that they have gained from the experience. As has been said earlier – Man U lost at home in similar circumstances so let’s not be too critical.

• 26 Sav // Dec 7, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Pards is letting Mashley know you cant just toss a few kids’ names onto the squad list to pad it out and expect to do well. The decent kids we have need to be getting regular league football (in fairness to Pards, Dummett, Goode and Donaldson are getting that now) to complete their football education and test themselves against pros before coming into the first team here with a load of expectation on their heads. Its not fair to them or the fans to expect a wholesale youth team to perform well in Europe. As the gimp said, we have 11 purples – the rest are not a like-for-like replacement.

previous post: This Lad Was Newcastle’s Best Player Last Night