The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Lad Was Newcastle’s Best Player Last Night

1:56 am, Friday, December 7th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 33 Comments

Newcastle’s best performer at Bordeaux on Thursday night was Rob Elliot, who is leading in our Man of the Match poll from Nile Ranger, who looked good in patches last night and the promising Gael Bigirimana. The Newcastle goalkeeper was in outstanding form and made four brilliant saves in the first half, and the scoreline could have been a lot worse but for another excellent performance from the former Charlton goalkeeper.

Rob Elliot – made several brilliant saves last night

Cheick Diabate scored a goal in each half, and the 2-0 scoreline hardly shows the dominance of Bordeaux.

The 26-year-old has an excellent attitude and he had this to say after the game last night:

“It’s hard to be pleased when you lose.” “It’s a tough one as a keeper because sometimes you can let in four goals and still play well, or keep a clean sheet and play poorly.” “But I was pleased I guess.”

“I made some saves and it was just another chance for me to try and impress the manager and show what I can do.” “I was pleased to get the opportunity.” “It’s tough at the moment because Tim is obviously doing fantastically well, so I am battling it out with Harps for the chance to play in games like this.”

“Hopefully whenever I get my chance I put in a good performance so that the manager knows he can rely on me next time I’m needed.” “We are disappointed. It was a tough pitch and we had a team of young lads but we could have done a little bit more.”

“You’ve got to give respect to Bordeaux. They played very well and it’s a learning lesson for the next bit of the Europa League.” “Having such a good run so far, undefeated, we wanted to finish on a high and win the group.” “But we qualified from the group and, putting tonight’s result aside, that is a great achievement because it was a tricky group.”

We thought it may have been a flash in the pan when Rob put in some excellent performances earlier this season, but it seems that every time this lad plays, he gives a good account of himself, and in this form he’s a threat to Tim Krul as Newcastle’s number one goalkeeper.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Man of the Match · Newcastle News · Rob Elliot · Tim Krul

33 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toonfreak87 // Dec 7, 2012 at 2:15 AM

I’d agree with that he made some outstanding saves. Shame he can’t get more games.

Toonfreak http://www.everythingnufc.co.uk/

• 2 Lynxie // Dec 7, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Flatfooted for the first goal and no mistake. Even he will accept that…………

• 3 Lynxie // Dec 7, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Toonfreak87:
    shit the bed like kidda lol

• 4 Lynxie // Dec 7, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Me? ……………
    What am I doing up?

I am burying the bodies of prostitutes and mackems. And mackem prostitutes..

• 5 Lynxie // Dec 7, 2012 at 2:23 AM

And for the record, I hope Danny Simpson does well for Reading/Wigan/QPR/Bolton/BLackburn (I could go on)…….
    He needs to have a chat with Olivier Bernard, who was superb until he THOUGHT he was superb……….
    Danny, you are average, you are playing for the best team you will ever play for in your career, you are easily replacable, you are nowt special. Now get your head down and start improving your defensive properties, or you will be in Burger King before you know it sunshine.
    The badge on the front is worth more than the name on the back.

• 6 Indian Magpie // Dec 7, 2012 at 4:17 AM

It was a poor result, yes, but i was more disappointed with the performance. Heartless.

Nothing was riding on the game true, but if you are a person trying to make it you would have given everything. Ala ranger. apart from ranger every outfield player was poor.

We should have poster AMEOBI’s Ripping you apart – COMING SOON

• 7 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Dec 7, 2012 at 5:00 AM

Truth be known i am not bothered that we lost. With nothing to gain on paper considering we were already through to the next round it might of been an idea to put Xisco on.

Xisco would of got a chance to impress so for me an opportunity missed. The experience will of helped the kids and i think there will be positives to be gaind even if they did lose. Game was,nt broadcast here in Holland so i had to make do with 5-live, with PSV and Twente on the box!

The League is now more important, and inspite of winning last Monday it is obvious that we need to carry on from that and win more. I still think our form sucks and we need more points. Three points at Fulham will help !

HWTL!

• 8 Indian Magpie // Dec 7, 2012 at 5:05 AM

NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Agree with the comment that result did not matter but if you are a person trying to make it you would have given everything. Ala ranger. apart from ranger every outfield player was poor.

• 9 headtheball // Dec 7, 2012 at 5:30 AM

When I was young my parents used to get groceries delivered from the Co-op by horse and cart. I wonder what happened to those old horses? Maybe we could swop Williamson for one?

• 10 headtheball // Dec 7, 2012 at 5:32 AM

swa

• 11 headtheball // Dec 7, 2012 at 5:34 AM

swap

• 12 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 7, 2012 at 6:03 AM

Morning lads!

…I really thought last nights game was a letdown. I know some have said that it didn’t mean anything, but there is no such thing as a meaningless game.

We were undefeated in the EL and finishing 1th would always have been better than 2nd. Our current form in the PL is nothing to really write about so EL is our little success story.

And most importantly I think we should have tried to keep the momentum going from our last PL game – we need it and the youngsters would even had learned more from a string of wins that last nights effort :-(

…what a letdown that game was!

• 13 check the toastie // Dec 7, 2012 at 6:34 AM

Long overdue is a change in thinking by Pardoh!, the same players who have continually underperformed are still selected as if a bad performance is acceptable, due to this philosophy fringe players seem to have given up the ghost and Pardew’s favorites seem to be going through the motions,

I cannot think of one player who has improved under Pardews management currently, even Shola (Pardew’s favorite player) has slipped into his old ways of not giving a f##k.

We need to pick a team that puts our best footballers on the pitch, until i see some change in Pardews pathetic attempt at tactics, i will continue to bang the PARDEW OUT drum.

Ashley should at last show some ambition and go and appoint Lauren Blanc or someone similar. Woukd even have some old timer like hoddle in charge until the end of year.

• 14 sula // Dec 7, 2012 at 6:34 AM

When i see the Newcastle side of today be it in Europe or the Prem i miss the likes of Rob lee, david batty , and the legend of legends shearer and ferdinand what a team the passing the quality. Will we ever see those days again??? is money really the most important part of the game now cause half of these guys look like they just dont care what people think.

• 15 ash1001 // Dec 7, 2012 at 6:47 AM

Back to the headline, yeh Elliot was probably the best on the night closely followed by Nile Ranger (but you have to remember this with 2 exceptions was virtually Bordeaux’s academy team), The senior guys i.e Williamson, Shola once again showed they are way off the game, the other possible 1st team guys showed they either have a hell of a lot to learn about commitment or they are just not good enough (there are exceptions i,e Bigi still learning).
    Nothing to play for – you have that wrong, for a start 1st place would have meant a seeding and 2nd leg of first knock-out round at home, + €400,000 for finishing top of the group.

• 16 jimmysmith // Dec 7, 2012 at 7:05 AM

I wonder how significant the disbanding and jettisoning of the ‘senior players committee’ of Nolan, Smith, Barton, Harper et al, may have been. The famous fight and comraderie they famously instilled in the group seems to have ebbed away alarmingly and despite the well documented problems and setbacks the team has endured this season, it seems that sense of playing for the badge and each other has been replaced with perfunctory displays lacking belief and purpose.

Perhaps it’s a malaise that a couple of shiny new defenders won’t fix.

• 17 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Dec 7, 2012 at 7:21 AM

I’ve just looked at the seeded and unseeded teams – Christ I’m glad we are unseeded. How are teams like inter anzhi and athletico Madrid unseeded? All the seeded teams are worse than the unseeded teams.

• 18 headtheball // Dec 7, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Jinkin’jimmy@16
    I hope you are wrong but fear you are right. How have we descended to mediocrity so quickly?
    Answers on a postcard to:
    What is happening to my team
    St James etc

• 19 Ian Toon // Dec 7, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Jimmy- Good morning . i am stalking you. Pleased you’ve also focused upon the players in your appraisal . I have been saying for a while that I would like a few experienced Pl players bought. It would provide a better blend of grit and determination to match the creativity our French contingent provide. On your repeated references to the 5 year plan it is a medium to long term plan and you can’t reasonably
    Blame it for defeats along the way. It is not a panacea for all our ills.
    I will be happy for a hard fought gritty win. With a late fluky type Barton goal at the end. Stop your whinging or you’ll be in the Catchy camp and. Be a lost soul. Enjoy your day.

• 20 Ian Toon // Dec 7, 2012 at 7:44 AM

Jimmy- you’ll be singing ” I want my Newcastle back” soon.
    Keep the faith .

• 21 Ian Toon // Dec 7, 2012 at 8:10 AM

As I said last night it’s time to get more of the youngsters out on loan. They need to play regularly and we don’t play in Europe for 2 months. Abeid, Tavernier, Ferguson all need to learn their trade. They would benefit from the experience .

• 22 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Dec 7, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Pardew has said that some of the youngsters need to go out on loan, who would people like to see go on loan?
    I think ranger and cambell need a month on loan to the championship.
    Abeid and tavernier need to go on loan.

I would keep bigi fergie and sammy as although I believe they need to step it up a bit, they are closer than the others.

Who do you think should go on loan?

• 23 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 7, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Wizard…for me a month won’t do it; we are probably talking 5 month.

…and it is all of them – Abeid, Fergy, Sammy, Tav and Ranger.

• 24 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Dec 7, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I don’t think fergie and sammy are too far away from the first team, can we afford to send players away for so long? Abeid and tav need loan. They need to start stepping up or I can’t see them cutting it here.

• 25 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 7, 2012 at 8:42 AM

With the squad so thin – Better to sign two or three good first team players before we send some of the fringe squad out on loan.

• 26 Colo-Sus // Dec 7, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Sammy Ameobi is purely and simply not good enough to play for Newcastle.

he is living off his dribbling which lets face it 99% of the time is luck,

Abeid, Tav even Fergie are purley and simply not going to make the grade in my view.

Ferguson is to small and too predicatable.

Last night shows the difference between where people thought we were at the start of the season and the reality.
    If Man U field a youth side, those players are always physically and mentally ready and they look strong.

Last season was a mix of people not knowing what to do with us and a huge slice of luck with injuries.

LETS GET REAL:

We have no strength in depth at all, our youth players are being asked to much too soon, and some are not good enough. Some of our First teamers are being found out big sytle,

If we had a bigger and better squad eben the likes of Marveaux could do with a loan out somewhere to get playing time. He has ability but needs consistency.

Jan:

Jonas- out
    Wilo – Out
    Simpson – Out
    Sammy-loan/out
    Tav-Loan
    Abeid-Loan
    Fergie-loan

Debuchy -in
    Douglas- in
    Sissokho – in
    Lallana – in
    Striker -in
    Another CB -IN

Will never happen but thats what it needs,

we need experienced pros, we need depth and we need it fast:

Im all for the buy young talent policy, but you need a solid first teamSQUAD not 11 purples yiu need at least 16 purples as LAMEARSE says and then the youngsters can come in and play without pressure

LAST NIGHT WAS SHITE

• 27 Pardews Perfect Battleplan // Dec 7, 2012 at 8:54 AM

i am 100% sure we won’t sign anyone in January

• 28 Colo-Sus // Dec 7, 2012 at 8:54 AM

PS THOSE IN’S ARE JUST THE ONES WE HAVE BEEN LINKED WITH, AS LONG AS WE BUY BODIES I COULD CARE LESS IF ITS DEBUCHY OR WHOEVER, WE NEE DPLAYERS WITH A BIT OF GRIT AND FIGHT ABOUT THEM

• 29 Rotonda heights // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I find it strange that Pardew and others don’t seem to take the the Europa too seriously and have a bit of a cavalier attitude as to whether we stay in it or not.

We battled away to get 5th to qualify for Europa now some people are saying we are better out of it so we do better in the league to qualify for Europe next year!! I’m lost on that one.

That fatigue excuse really doesn’t ring true as we virtually field a reserve team in most Europa games.
    I know not a lot was riding on it last night but it’s worrying that our youngsters aren’t really taking the chance to step up more, Bigi excluded.

Abeid, Sammi and Fergie were all disappointing and it would have been good to see Amaltifano get a run. At least Ranger put hmself about even if we hit way too many hit and hope long balls.

Sammi might have some tricks but I have never seen a worse passer of a ball over a short distance and when he loses the ball he always goes and fouls someone to get it back. More frustrating than Shola!

With someone as slow as Willo like on their 2nd goal you desperately need to play a sweeper. Hopefully it will be Colo and Perch v Fulham.

• 30 Conaldo (The Wizard...Also Bestest Friends With Paul Scharner) // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Viktoria Plzen, Fenerbahce, Bordeaux, Steaua Bucuresti, Dnipro, Genk, Rubin Kazan, Lyon, Lazio, Metalist Kharkiv, Hannover, CFR Cluj, Olympiakos, Benfica

What are people’s favourite draw and least favourite?

I would say genk, Lyon or Hannover would be good.

• 31 sirtoongospel // Dec 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Said it all last night when the only outfield player with any passion was Nile Ranger. The rest didn’t seem to care one bit. And surely Pardew will see that Williamson is an embarrassment? That second goal was a joke. How many goals this season will be scored from a ball over the top? Pards may think the kids aren’t good enough, but there are a few senior players who are awful. Willo, Simmo, and at present Jonas just not at the level needed. This is the first time he has openly said we will be buying in January. The fact his young guns were blown away by the Bordeaux ‘B’ team should tell him that they are league one players over here, at best. Oh, and shola didn’t even try last night.

• 32 cornishman // Dec 7, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Very disappointing display generally. The Ameobi brothers were shocking, it seems Sammy is loosing the will to improve and spends more time on his backside. The only bright sparks to come from this woeful display were Rob Elliot and dare i say it Nile Ranger…i thought Nile applied himself well with a lot of running off the ball and looked very good in the air, i,d like to see him used more as a sub with the view to breaking through as a possible starter. I,m hopeful / pretty sure of a better performance on Monday.

• 33 James RS // Dec 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I Disagree I think we should ship out Elliot and try someone else he just wont make it at the top level not even as good as Fraser Forster. I remember he was poor againt Forest in the cup was at fault for a few goals there…always seems to be rooted to the spot has no confidence to come out as was shown against Bordeaux again.We never win when he plays and Im always tense when hes selected you just know he’ll make one or 2 important errors etc etc

previous post: Newcastle In Unseeded Group For Europa League Draw