The Sunday Express is reporting today that Newcastle striker Demba Ba has rejected a new offer of £70K/week from Newcastle United, which is said to be better than even Fabricio Coloccini is getting currently at Newcastle.
Demba Ba – turns down £70K/week to stay at Newcastle?
It’s a Sunday and we expect stories on Demba Ba every Sunday for the next several weeks, and most will be untrue, and we should say we have no idea if this story has any truth to it.
And the Sunday Express last week reported the Senegal striker was asking for as much as £90K a week – or to be more correct – that’s what his agents are asking for.
And there was some news a couple of days ago that any club coming in for the hit man would have to pay his agents a staggering £5M, and that’s probably close to the truth, since Newcastle paid his agents £2M when he signed for us last year as a “free” agent.
But The Express then goes onto say “it is understood” the player would favor a move to London – and Arsenal are supposed to be interested – but we’re not sure where the Express got that bit of news from, since Ba has told Alan Pardew and the fans repeatedly, that he would like to stay on Tyneside.
I’ve learned when a journalist says “is it understood” that means they are making it up for a more juicy story.
We had said recently that Ba should come out and say what his intentions are in January, as a courtesy to his club, but his agents seem to be the big problem, as they try to get a deal so they can make some big money themselves.
But the circus like we witnessed last June and July, when Ba’s release clause of around £7M was active, and he was linked with moving to a number of clubs – are not good for the game.
And they are not good for the clubs involved – like Newcastle for instance – and there should be stricter rules that football agents have to abide by in the future.
What do you think?
You can also reach Ed at firstname.lastname@example.org