The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Craven Cottage Not A Happy Hunting Ground For Magpies

10:13 am, Monday, December 10th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

Craven Cottage has not been a happy hunting ground for Newcastle recently, and in our previous 10 visits there, we have lost seven, including getting hammered last season 5-2, after controlling the game in the first half, and being one up at the break through a great Danny Guthrie strike.

Alan Pardew – Newcastle played great in first half last season in same fixture

And while Newcastle have only one win from our last six league games our performances in the last couple of games – in the 2-1 loss at Stoke, when we gave a couple of goals away in the last nine minutes,  and the 3-0 win against Wigan a week ago – have seen Newcastle play very well and something like we were playing like last season, when we finished 5th in the Premier League.

It would be great to get a second successive win in the league tonight at Craven Cottage, and the Newcastle manager says it’s up to his players to do just that:

“Every Premier League game brings its own difficulties, so it doesn’t really matter too much who the opposition is.”  “It’s about ourselves and we produced a level of football against Wigan and Stoke that has buoyed us all on the training ground, and you can see that.”  “There’s definitely a stronger attitude to attack games.”

“They are a good side and they play very, very well at home, so it’s a tough encounter.”  “Last year, we probably played our best half of football in the first half. Unfortunately, the second half was probably our worst, so we are hoping we don’t put in that Jekyll and Hyde performance that we did last year”

Newcastle’s second string gave a disappointing performance at Bordeaux last Thursday night, when we were well beaten and hardly threatened the French side at all, so we are hoping the first team players tonight can put on a much better show, and possibly get the win – that’s what we are hoping for – and wins is what will see us move up the league table quickly.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Europa League · Newcastle News · Premier League

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 Graeme // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM

If he wants to “Attack” teams, he needs to use the players who are able to do just that. Jonas IS NOT the man for the job at the moment.

Play a 4 man diamond of Marveau, HBA, Obertan with either Cisse OR Ba up front.

The added pace available to us will keep the Fulham back four pushed much further back in their own half, taking pressure off our mid-field and back four. If he wants a win, he has to set up the team to make it possible to do so!!

• 2 RonVanDam // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM

We are almost at full strength. We are missing the 2 taylors and cabaye. I just hope Perch replaces Williamson in defense.

If we are after a good cheap winger, i think we should look at Crystal Palaces BOLASIE.

• 3 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Did anyone read this from the Mag:

I hope we’ll see more of Benny in the #10 spot :D

• 4 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Jesper…Interesting article. Especially the bit about Cabaye.

Does that mean that with Cabaye in a central role, pardew feels Bennys flair is better suited down the right? A bit of balance of flair around the pitch?

How about:

—————Krul—————
    Simmo–Willo–Colo–Santon
    —————-Tiote—————
    ——–Anita——-Marv——–
    —————-HBA—————
    ———-Cisse—-Ba————-

• 5 Marty-Toon // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Jesper
    That’d be very welcome indeed

• 6 Slank // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:32 AM

We need to play flexible 4-3-2-1 / 4-5-1

Krul
    Simpson – Willo – Colo – Santon
    Anita – Tiote – Jonas
    Ben Arfa – Marveaux
    -Ba-
    or

Krul
    Simpson – Willo – Colo – Santon
    Ben Arfa – Anita – Tiote – Jonas – Marveaux
    Ba

IMO, playing Cisse and Ba together away from home is a luxury we cannot afford. We need to dominate and control midfield and use our flair players Ben Arfa and Marveaux to open up their defence and support Ba. We need to play the ball on the ground.

I think a win is a possibility.

• 7 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Slank….

How about…

—————-Krul—————
    Simmo–Willo–Colo–Santon
    ————–Tiote—————-
    ——–Anita—Jonas———-
    —–HBA———-Marv——–
    ————-Ba/Cisse————

• 8 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Easily goes to 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 depending on whether you’re attacking or defending.

• 9 BelfastMagpie // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I’d just like to remind everybody that I was the first blogger to use the venga bus term.

So all profits should got to me surely? :-)

• 10 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Ibiza…if the silver supremo insists on playing with two forwards side by side, then I would agree on playing a diamond formation with Benny as an ACM.

But I do prefer we would take another approach, but still keep Benny at the #10 spot and play Cabs as an deeplying playmaker :)

Matty…good news indeed!

• 11 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Belfast…Not sure I’d count on it being a money making scheme. Isn’t it you then? :)

• 12 proudtobageordie // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:42 AM

in all your team selections for tonight every one of you have got WILLO. Come on gents he is been loaned out to Blackpool beach in Jan. Slow,and a liabillity. PERCHINIO all day for me.

• 13 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Jesper….I hear you and agree. There isn’t really a need to have 2 strikers on for all of our games.

Not really sure on where Cabaye should be, I suppose box to box really, when on form he links play so beautifully.

• 14 Slank // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Ibiza,

Yes, I would go with that with Ba up front.

Pardew is hinting that Ben Arfa may play in a No 10 role between midfield and Ba. If that’s the case I would place Marveaux alongside Anita and Jonas with Tiote behind them.

• 15 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM

proud….It’s more a case of Pardew seems to favour Willo over Perch at CB. Personally I prefer Perch as a CDM, not saying I love Willo at CB, but for me, there isn’t much between them in that position, so I go with what I think Pardew will do (in defense anyway).

• 16 BelfastMagpie // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I can confirm it’s not me. :-)

But it was my joke & they’ve stole it.

Maybe some compensation should be rewarded to me ? :-)

• 17 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Belfast….Hmmm, how bizarre. It wasn’t even that funny a joke ;)

I think your best chance is intellectual property rights, sounds like a lot of hard work mind. Don’t worry, I know who started it (largely due to you not stopping the joke).

• 18 Slank // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:51 AM

proudtobageordie

I think Perch is more effective in midfield in front of the back four as he is good on the ball and can read the game better than Williamson and can distribute the ball on the ground which is something that Williamson can’t or won’t do. However, Williamson’s strength is his heading ability which is far superior to Perch.

But it’s a tough call.

• 19 proudtobageordie // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Slank
    Yea you are spot on all Williamson can do is head the ball.
    And some games he can’t even do that. Perchinio is better as a CDM but he is also miles ahead of the donkey at cb

• 20 BelfastMagpie // Dec 10, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Venga prepare to hear from my lawyer. ;-)

previous post: Newcastle A Great Move For Dutch International