Newcastle Winger In Part Exchange For Loic Remy?

We wonder if Newcastle will let any of our current crop of players leave in the January transfer window, and one reason for that is that we could use the money to bring new players through the door next month.

loic remy marseilles

Loic Remy – Marveaux used as bait?

And then there’s Demba Ba, and quite honestly it’s just a terrible situation for Newcastle to be in – that one of our top players and the top goalscorer with 10 goals in the Premier League can legitimately walk away from the team next month if some club offers £7M and triggers his release clause.

What’s wrong with that picture? 🙁

And the news this week is that Newcastle are thinking of maybe giving up on Sylvain Marveaux, and he could be shipped out to Marseilles in January, and maybe it’s a player plus cash exchange for their striker Loic Remy?

We have no inside information on this, but there have been repeated reports Newcastle are interested in Remy, and we have simply put two and two together – and hopefully arrived at four.

Sylvain has shown the best form of his career over the last month on Tyneside, but he is still behind players like Ben Arfa, Jonas Gutierrez and Gabby Obertan to get a starting position on one of the wings.

So it could be Newcastle are willing to let him go and since he arrived on a free transfer last year, Newcastle will make a profit on the deal

And maybe he will be offered in part exchange for Loic Remy, who Newcastle have been interested in since 2008, according to our archives.

It’s an interesting thought – at the very least.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• markmac

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM

marv has looked a decent player lately so would like to keep him, but wouldnt mind remy either…ermm

• Graeme

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Remy would be a great signing – even better if Ba & Marvey were still here in February!!!

• Transfer Sage

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM

If pardew is our manager for the long term might as well get rid if marvoux as he clearly doesn’t fancy him for whatever reason

• Rotonda heights

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Only plus point if ba goes is cisse would play in his right position centrally and I’m sure he’d hit the goal trail again. I’ve heard remy can play left in a front 3 but then so can marv given a chance

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Is there anything evidence to back this up or is it just a case of 2+2 = 5 since the media have us interested in Remy and Pards doesn’t seem to fancy Marv?

• Shearer260

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Ironic that even though he can’t get in front of gutierrez in the starting line up I bet if we offered them him instead of marveaux they wouldn’t be nearly as interested. He’s played well recently do I’d like to see him out on one wing with benny on the other and ba or cisse in the middle.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM

TS….Why is it clear that Pardew doesn’t fancy Marv? Because he played in the EL and not against Fulham?

Are we assuming last year the delayed start for Benny was because Pardew didn’t fancy him either?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:29 AM

*anything = any

• funguswatty

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:32 AM

i have said all a long with out Ba on the pitch cesse he will score the goals for us ,Ba likes to be the main man up front and goes in huff when he can,t play there or gets the lime light taken away from him

• check the toastie

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Pardew prefers players who have no surprises to their game, Raylor over BenArfa, Obertan over BenArfa, Jonas over Marv, Raylor over Santon, Shola over Marv, Lovenkrands over Ben Arfa, the list is endless, Simpson over Tavernier, Williamson over anybody else at the club.

The man is a dope.

Nice article Ed, lets me get back on the abuse Parsnip bandwagon.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM

When are we plying Citeh?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM

*playing

• Graeme

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Jesper, at the weekend mate – its live on Sky at 1230

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Graeme…Sunday?

• Transfer Sage

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Ibiza

Yes. Pardew didn’t fany ben arfa at all so he never got a game. He changed his game to work harder for the defence before he fancied him and gave him his chance.

Marvoux has barely featured at all, even when he has been fit. Pardew really doesn’t seem to like him or trust him to do a job. He gave him a go away at everton, obviously struggled against pienaar and baines (who wouldn’t) and seems to have been punished for that.

• Graeme

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Saturday, 1245 kick-off at SJP

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Damnit 🙁

…why did I agree to move for my friend…WHYYYYYYY!!!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM

TS….I see it as that he wants to get more out of players who he knows can produce better on a regular basis. Not just as simple as punishment, maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see him as being that petty.

• rainrix

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Jesper… I know the feeling mate i foolishly agreed to go christmas shopping with my lass without checking the football schedule. Argh damn why did we have to buck the trend and play on a saturday 🙁

Can i blame that on pards as well? Actually i am anyway PARDEW OUT!

• Ian Toon

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Jesper – good morning . Chelsea. Have played 4-2-3-1 in their last 5 games. I did not look any further back. We play man City @ 12.45 on Saturday.
    From last evening. Your claim that our defence is better this season than last! Palpably this is not the case. Either statistically or from media analysis or more importantly my judgment. That is why I have been banging on about defensive restructuring for months- LOL
    I found myself doing a Nick Clegg and hence the i agree with JFA.
    Maybe I have misinterpreted your view. See ya.

• rainrix

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Is anyone actually watching the chelsea match? I would but i don’t think work would appreciate me live streaming 🙂

• rainrix

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Be interesting to see if goaline technology gets a run out..

• Transfer Sage

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Ibiza

I don’t see it as a petty act from pardew.

I see it more of that’s not what player he wants…or he only has room for a limited number of creative players. I think he is overly cautios and likes to go for more defensive options like jonas.

• wynsleap

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Ideally, with the small size of our squad, we shouldn’t be selling anybody but if we HAD to it should be someone who could bring a decent price and then we could bring in two or three players with the fee coming in (plus whatever mythical amount our owner might invest).
    Unfortunately after the Carroll experience we know that selling a top player for a high amount doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to be spent on decent replacements.
    If we could get these reported large sums for Cabaye and/or Tiote I’d be quite prepared to say goodbye to them as I think they could easily be replaced by cheaper and equally effective players.
    Whatever happens Ashley HAS to invest in the team this January or the future looks bleak.
    But I’m not holding my breath that’s for sure.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Ian

I would disagree on defence. I think looking at what we have it is no worse on paper…certainly not much better as the only addition would be anita as a make shift full back so nothing better about i really.

But I do agree we need to totally restructure the defence. 2CBs and full back.

Douglas, yanga-Mbiwa and Debuchy for me.

• Ian Toon

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Transfer- Pardew also rightly eased HBA back in after an injury which could have been more of a mental than physical problem. I regularly read of Pardew not having confidence in him etc. Undoubtedly he wanted to repackage his work ethic as well. Pardew was blamed by many when he should have been praised for good management. There is a body of posters whom want to find fault- I am not implying that you are.
    Have a good day.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Ian…thanks mate!

…be carefull with statistics mate (remember what they said about Simmo and Willo ;)) No, you did not misunderstand me regarding my comment about our defense being better this year compared to last. Since it is the same defense with the addition of Anita and the fact both Santon (who is a regular now) and Fergy are better players I think it is fair to say we are in a better plave this season.

Form is our problem this season so you cannot really use statistics cause that’s what they are looking at. Remember I have said nothing about us not needing a defensive restructure or that we don’t need a need CB or RB for that matter. All I have said is we are not where we are because of lack of transfer activity (didn’t say it might not have made a difference), but the team we have should be able to do alot better.

…maybe you are confusing what I am saying now that you’re mentioning it 😀

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

TS….I agree with that to some extent, but I think thats a temporary thing (being defensive). I feel that once we have the correct players in and firing, he will loosen the style and use more flair players. When we’re looking vulnerable he goes defensive instead of attacking, that is clear for all to see, so I hope it doesn’t come across as that is what I’m arguing, more the idea Pardew doesn’t want or like those type of players, it’s as you say, he doesn’t feel he can afford to lose graft for creativity….at this point.

• jonobbad

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM

You have put 2 and 2 together and came up with 68.
    No basis for saying marv is being swapped.
    Ed you should get a job at the sun. You would fit right in.

• Ian Toon

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Transfer— Pardew’s cautious approach stems from a lack of confidence in the defence. Hence his employment of Jonas to attempt to stem the leaking. What can he do!

• Graeme

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

TS – its getting to the point where it seems Pardeaux is frightened of his own shadow!! Football is always a game of risks – you try and balance them; you can’t eliminate them completely. If that’s his objective, he should take up fishing!!

I hope he can swim – just in case!!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Ian…I do stand by everything said last night; whether you understood my point is another story 😀 lol (and afternoon…which might be good for some to read taking our discussion last night in account)

• catchy in norway

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Ibizatoon – Back by popular demand

YOUR 100% right,, pardew did not fancy HBA, we as fans were screaming for him to play, but he made lots of excuses why he shouldnt /couldnt play,

even if HBA never helped the defence last year, he gave a lot more to the team than obertan ever did,

also , if you watch obertan, he does less covering than HBA,

also (lol.) if had any sense, he would be deopping one of the fromt 2 (id drop BA for contract reasons) HBA SHOULD be a proper no 10, more central to the action, he is not messi, but he is our messi, our best player,,

marv seems very good on both wings, and given that the team needs a good shake up, he should be given a chance, after all, i think we could all pull at least 4 players out of that team that dont deserve to be in it right now,

i like little ferg, he is our new K giliespie, nippy and quite good a crossing, (and can only get better) but marv is a better all round player,, and even sammy and ferg seem ahead of marv,, suggest pardew dont fancy him

let me finish by saying pardew is a muppet and does not deserve to be the manager of our great club, he has the best squad he has ever had, and if he stays i only see our best players leaving,

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Jesper…Do you think Fergy is a better defender this year? Is that just because he’s older? I haven’t seen any signs of him being so this season.

Anita is an improvement in defense, but he’s also said he didn’t want to come in as a defender, so how much has he really improved it?

• Transfer Sage

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Ian

I think it’s one of them ones where there isn’t a right answer really.

I dont think anyone can deny that what Pardew did with ben arfa was great for him. He has been one of our top players since he got eased into the team.

It is impossible to say whether throwing him in a month earlier or just having him on from the start would have been better or worse. It’s something we don’t know so I think there is no point in debating it really. Pardew did well for the long term…would an exra month of ben arfa back then even made much difference? I’m not sure it would have.

I thin marvoux is a different case though. He is barely getting any game time and the players currently starting aren’t performing so maybe he should get a run out to try something different.

Ben Arfa was trying to get into a winning/successful team so having patience was more understandable.

• catchy in norway

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Ian Toon

you make about as much sense as a chocolate fire gaurd,,

last year, take away the few games we got hammered , it was quite strong, same players, same approach as last year,, not the same results

you need to wake up,, but i guess youonly play computer football,, hence your lack of knowladge in real football,
    i dout you have ever played anything other than playground football, or bags at school

• Transfer Sage

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Ibiza/Ian

I accept our defense is shaky with willo and simmo being unable to play it out from the back well too.

But for me pardew has two options…go more defensive to cover there mistakes. This invites more pressure as we have less of the ball, less time pinning the opposition back so more of them can get forward more often. This just heaps more pressure on the defence. And as it is what we are doing could be argued it isn’t working, look at our results and performances.

The second option is to get more creative players on the pitch, marv, benny, anita, cabaye (when fit) and go with only 1 striker so we can hopefull keep possession better in the midfield and if we have the ball our opponents can’t attack. Players like willo and simmo need help too…they are useless with the ball at their feet and wont bring it out so the responsibility falls on colo and the deeer midfielders to drop closer to them to collect it and given them 1 or 2 decent/easy options for a pass.

I’m not suggesting we go all out attack and forget the defence but if we can’t defend basing our game on defense surely doesn’t work (only 17 points suggests it doesn’t).

Surely it is now worth trying something new to see if things get better?

• catchy in norway

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Transfer Sage

your right, HBA was trying to get into a winning team, a winning team that had a very weak right side, i dont go to the games, but even the fans at the games could see it wasnt working, obertan, got about 6 games more than he should have, and if he did not get injured we would still be waiting for HBA now,

he took his chance and made it impossible for pardew to go back,

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM

catchy…I didn’t say that. I asked a question to TS, it is not my view that Pardew didn’t fancy HBA, but that he fancied getting the better HBA – I think he did, whether it would have been the case a month earlier would be pure speculation (as TS has said above) so hard to know for sure.

I agree on dropping one of the ST’s, not the Ba bit, we signed a contract with him and knew what we were doing. Now that we’ve decided his knee isn’t so bad we want a deal that suits us better, but is that automatically fair? He has every right to hold out or play out his current contract without being punished. Either way, only one should be playing as an out and out ST and Cisse is ineffective it seems playing anywhere else.

Marv does seem good and I expect him to get more and more game time and go from strength to strength. Fantastic stuff.

Fergie looks a promising LW, but not at LB for me (I get the feeling you agree), but he’s not a starter yet.

The way Marv is being handled may suggest he is out of favour, but it is also possible that Pardew is easing him in to get the best out of him – you or I don’t know and shouldn’t claim to, it’s only an opinion.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Ibiza…I definitely think he’s a better player this season. Age is a part of it since he is more mature in his game and have more ballast from first team appearences and International games – this and the fact he’s stay fit this season which is very important for a young kid if he’s to evolve as a player.

Until or resent drop of form he was one of the players we were all calling for to start a game – he looked alive and hungry. I have said before that alot of our youngsters shoud have been out on loan this season, but Pards kept then on and for some reason he thinks it is a good idea to throw 6-7 kids into our starting 11 at times (this is what I think is part of form drop). Does anyone remember what happened to Jon Dahl Tomasson when he came here and suddenly all our forwads got inured – even Shearer, who Tomasson was to lean on and learn from. Tomasson choked and the rest is history.

…that was a side story 😀 I don’t know if it makes any sense (I apparently have trouble making sense these days) lol

1 2 3 6