The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Mike Ashley Not Exerting Any Undue Pressure On Pardew

9:13 am, Friday, December 14th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 25 Comments

One of the things that then Chairman Chris Mort said after Mike Ashley had bought the club just over five years ago was that Newcastle needed stability and there was too many changes in management for that to happen.

mike ashley ,,-

Mike Ashley – wants stability at Newcastle

But Ashley and his people found management of a football club very difficult in the first two years, and in the summer of 2009, following our relegation – we had Sam Allardyce, Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinnear, Alan Shearer and Chris Hughton as five men who had managed Newcastle in the short  two years since Ashley bought the club.

Since that time – about three and a half years – we have had just Alan Pardew as the new manager, after Chris was surprisingly fired, so things have settled down on that issue, and Newcastle have fared well until this recent slump.

And Alan Pardew yesterday talked about how the owner wants stability at Newcastle:

“Ashley wants stability at the club. He has put me under no pressure during this period, other than to ask ‘can I help you any more’. That’s it.” “But there is always going to be external pressure, from fans who want more and the media, because that’s their job.”

“I have to look at the bigger picture and take a balanced view. But that doesn’t mean my total focus is not on Manchester City and getting a win, for my fans and for the team.”

That’s about what an owner should be doing – just asking where he can help – and we hope Alan said he needs at least three new players in January to bolster the squad. :D

It’s a really tough time for the club at the moment, but we have better players and more dedicated players than we had four years ago during the relegation season, so we should be able to pull away from the bottom end of the league fairly soon, although we do have some very tough games coming up.

Let’s try to keep the faith during this very difficult time.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News

25 responses so far ↓

• 1 obatoyou // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Buying players in jan is too good for ashley

• 2 JAMSHA // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:23 AM

We need Six new players… not 3…. an then i cant see us getng 3 but mayb 1 player… as there will be a excuse the players we wanted wer to expensive

• 3 catchy in norway // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM

i hope this is a vote of confidence :))),, we all know what normally happens here,,

yippeeee its nearly xmas,,

• 4 Transfer Sage // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM

PPB

not suggesting Pardew is willingly easing off…but subconsciously he may be…

…less pressure on his future income could result in a lack of drive and effort…maybe just a small amount 5/10%, without realisng himself…might have just got a bit slack.

• 5 Pushy Pardew // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Where a good side under performing but working hard to put it right . Injuries and suspensions has knocked our momentum. Good to know that Pardew is looking at the bigger picture and taking a balanced view unlike many fickle fans on here. He recognises that Jonas has had a difficult season and that were looking to get more from him, some Je ne sais quoi. We can’t afford to start slowly against City as we did in the Man Utd game where the game was over as a contest in 20 minutes.

• 6 catchy in norway // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:30 AM

just for the record,, we are not stable far from it

pardew is stable for the next 8 years though,, OR so he thinks

• 7 Transfer Sage // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM

pushy

asking for jonas to be dropped is not fickle.

he has underperformed all season…if you ask for soembody to be dropped after 1 or 2 bad games that could be seen as fickle…if you ask for somebody to be dropped after 14 games of not performing that’s just common sense

• 8 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Morning all,

TS….When did he get the new contract though? Yes it’s probably got worse since then (by the amount of losses against perceived lesser opposition), but this situation has been going on all season really, do you not think it’s more of a snowball effect? As in bad form, slow start, some 2nd season syndrome, arrogance (players and manager…well, board too) and they kind of expected to get back on track and before they knew it here we are?

A bit basic, I know, but it does follow imo.

Also, he may not fear pressure from Ashley (although no matter how long the contract I don’t believe that to be the case, no one’s job is completely “safe”) but no man in their right mind wouldn’t fear an upset Geordie fan base….would they?

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I’ll help you anyway I can Pardew except don’t ask me to spend any money.

• 10 Transfer Sage // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Ibiza

I’m not saying it’s a definite reason…just that it could be subconsciously effecting him.

He got the contract 4 games into the season

• 11 catchy in norway // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Pushy Pardew

we can start any way you like against man c,, it will be just the same result,,

i think what you should say is we can not let them score first, if they do, 2 things will happen, pardew will say lets attck, then the flood gates will open,, man c are wounded right now, looking for an easy scalp to make there fans happy from last weeks derby,,

i can see us getting hammerd by 5 goals

• 12 Pushy Pardew // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Transfer
    Your confusing me with the other excellent PPB. Unlike Beattie 25 and some others I only have one pseudonym . I don’t know why Beattie in particular bothers because he’s so illiterate. You know it’s him . If you doubt me read his call to arms yesterday he’s a fake as identified by Tsunki who is a loyal fan and good blogger.

• 13 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:38 AM

TS….Sorry, probably came in a little strong, didn’t mean you meant that to be your opinion, was just voicing my thoughts on yours :)

Thought it was later than that mind, but sounds about right now you’ve said it.

Catchy…With our available players, how would you set the team up to win the game then? Was your comment a reflection on Pardew or how good City are…or both?

• 14 Pushy Pardew // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Catchy
    Hello. I hope not Catchy you have to keep the faith in Pardew and the team . Failing that as Ian Toon said spread the love this Christmas .
    I think we’ll. get a hard fought 2-2. Draw.

• 15 Transfer Sage // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:41 AM

pushy

i’m not confusing you at all. I was replying to your comment on this article.

• 16 catchy in norway // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Ibizatoon – Back by popular demand

i know you where happy last season with the results

but look at it,, the football was poor then as it it is now, ppl notice it more when the results are not there,, this is no surprise to me,, generally poor footballing team always stay near the bottom of the table, scrapping for results,,

this is exactly what we were like under JFK i see no difference , good squads playing poorly,

hmmm i wonder who is to blame,,,,,

• 17 Pushy Pardew // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Ibiza
    Nothing personal but I have to go. Hope your fit and looking forward to a return to happier times on the football field. You seem to be constant in your support.

• 18 catchy in norway // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Pushy Pardew

il make it clear

im 100% behind the team, think we have got some amazing players,, i think they lack leadership on the pitch and off,,

yes 2-2 would be amazing, but going on our recent history,, im like 90% certurn it wont happen,,

we have never started a game on fire, we always wait to see how they line up,,
    tevez will start tomorrow, him and aguero will run circles around wilo,,

i honestly think the QPR game will decide whether pardew gets to the end of the season,, he has to win that one,
    team are using us to get there seasons back on track :( we are so predictable,,

if jonas is in the team,, say good night :(

• 19 headtheball // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Pardewspeak
    getting a win, for MY fans and for the team. What? Who are HIS fans he is talking about? The guy is dillusional!

• 20 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Pushy…..No problem. Fit and well thank you. Not looking forward really to this Christmas football period, but I never was :) I’ll always support my team and at this point, I believe supporting Pardew is right, so no change there. Have a good day.

Catchy…It may not have been beautiful football over the whole season, but there was some good football and there was a lot of determination and fight. That is the first thing I want from my team, determination and fight, and we had it in abundance last season (there were some horrific game too, I haven’t forgotten them). That for me is the biggest problem this year. I can wait for the beautiful football you crave so much. Stepping stones mate, if you shoot straight for the top you will likely not make it and miss some vital steps along the way. I know you don’t believe we are working towards anything, but I do. This is where our main issue is at the minute, there isn’t really any middle platform for us to be able to work from. Nothing personal, but I’m not expecting to convert you and doubt you’ll be able to convert me anytime soon. That may change at some point though.

• 21 Pushy Pardew // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Transfer
    Pushy I am picking up the looking at the bigger picture point Pardew has mentioned . With your forensic mind you doubtless have not discounted the possibility of something not being quite right with Jonas. Hence the Je ne sais quoi. I am also picking up on a point made some weeks ago by Ian Toon . Please take a breath before responding because I have you down as a quality blogger.

• 22 headtheball // Dec 14, 2012 at 9:52 AM

dellusional

• 23 south coast toon // Dec 14, 2012 at 10:12 AM

thats the biggest crock of s.h.1.t ive heard in along time
    do anyone really think ashley is putting no pressure on pards he will loose alot of money if we go down,i actually think ashleys got alot right lately, i wasnt sure about 8 yr contracts but i can see what hes tring to do, lets just hope hes gonna give it all he can in the transfere window, hes not done bad with his signings so far cisse an anita stick out as good value at the mo an biggi and santon, arfa ,cabeye and mave has looked good on his run outs lately,lets hope he can see he needs to do what should have been done in the summer now 4 signings i say.then there some of these players might hit form, if pards cant turn it around big time with 4 more signing and the players we have by the end of season he got to go, but we need a bloody good replacement west ham an norwich have good managers lol…..i dont expect us to get much in the way of results till after the new year and then only if we have freshened up the squad.but it only takes one good game to lift us all.we have looked better the last 3 games lets hope thats because our players are stasrting to try and know that the ambition for sucess is going to be shown in jan……right if we loose against city i will slaughter em lol

• 24 wynsleap // Dec 14, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Of course Ashley isn’t exerting any undue pressure on Ashley. When you’ve got no ambition for the club and couldn’t give a s**t anyway why should you bother yourself about putting stress on the manager?

• 25 south coast toon // Dec 14, 2012 at 10:38 AM

wyn sleap lol…..i hope your wromg

previous post: Eight Year Deals And A Terrible Newcastle Slump