The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Youngsters Are Championship Class – They Need To Improve

11:23 am, Saturday, December 15th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 43 Comments

Newcastle are struggling in the league this season, and one of the reasons for that is our younger players have not come through to fortify the squad as much as Alan Pardew had hoped, and he has said today while they are good players who could easily play in the Championship, they have to improve if they are to play for Newcastle United.

sammy ameobi newcastle u21 southampton

Sammy Ameobi - one of Newcastle’s top young players

Alan Pardew was asked about his youngsters today, and this is what he had to say in the local press:

“It’s highlighted a problem we’re going to look into – our younger players.” “They’re going to have to do more work – they need to improve.” “All those young players are good players – they could play in the Championship, no problem.”

“But this is Newcastle, and they need to be better.” “We learnt a lot against Bordeaux.” “The young players are going to find out that they’re going to do a lot more work on the training ground.” “I’ve got to be honest – I was a little bit disappointed with them.”

“They’re all going to have extra work to do.” “We’ve got to make sure, out of this period we’ve had, that we learn some lessons.” “Not just myself and my coaching staff, but the players, the board and all my staff. We’re really going to push on now.”

Newcastle let go around 10 youngsters last summer, when they said the club would need to improve in the class of youngsters they are bringing through the ranks, and again this season the club have been disappointed that one or two of the youngsters have not been able to step up to the plate to play regularly for Newcastle this season.

Of course there’s still time for a couple of our best youngsters to come through, and this is certainly not the time to panic, but they will have to do that soon, otherwise we could again see a clear-out in the summer of some of both our fringe players and younger players.

This is now the time to produce for our youngsters if they are to have a career on Tyneside.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle Academy · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth

43 responses so far ↓

• 1 Indian Magpie // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:25 AM

So PARDEW

What did you mean when you said you were happy with the squad on September 1st

• 2 catchy in norway // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Tds

I only got 1 vote, I voted with my brain, it says we will get murdered today by at least 3 goals,

You mention Wigan, we went toe to toe with them for 80 mins , possession was 50-50which is sad when they had 10 men

Also I’m getting sick of ppl saying we did not invest , we did he got 4 players 2 have had a goodish start to there nufc career

The fact is it was in the wrong area they bought

• 3 Tsunki // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:27 AM

No offence to cricket fans but lets just assume the inevitable and England win the test……

Hopefully there wont be a cricket score against us today if Man City decide today is the day to revitalise their title chase. If HBA is so knife-edge then I see him coming on as a sub. If he starts, then the injury thing was a total lie from top to bottom, cant do that one again, Alan.

I would expect a defensive look to start with, but if we insist on the high line and Tims magic ‘find an opponent’ booting then they will be coming at us all day like the ocean. It comes to something when I am hoping that tiote does his old statutory yellow card display with a borderline sending-off approach, because in the long run I think we get half a player all season. But, seeing as we have only half a season to shape up, he may as well go for it ha ha.

I dont know how Citeh are going to manage without that midfield powerhouse, G Barry in the engine room. Yep, Right.

• 4 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Indian…Read the quotes. He expected more from them which would indicate he was happy with them September 1st . As of now, he doesn’t feel they’ve lived up to what he expected and everyone is learning lessons. Where is the issue?

• 5 BelfastMagpie // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I think Pardew’s hinting at Cabaye & Taylor being like new signings when they return.Going by a few things I’ve read the last few days.

I hate it when people say that.

• 6 Joe Blog // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Just putting this out there for idle enjoyment – a comprehensive list of players, from every league around the world, whose contract expires in summer ’13 -

• 7 Indian Magpie // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Ibiza,

Easier in hindsight but i could have told you so on sept 1st.

Tsunki

It pains me to say but Poms may win the series too. This match reminds me of Oval 2005 Ashes

• 8 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Coulda told you that before the season none of the youngsters with the exception of bigi have enough experience to play at this level as a club were shocking at getting youngsters on loan, if there good enough to play championship play them there not league or bottom half teams in the SPL (no offence to any SPL fans like) this the one thing i thought the club were trying to improve on but there yet to really prove it

• 9 BelfastMagpie // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Sammy Ameobi defo needs to go out on loan..

• 10 toonking // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM

peaple might think i am crazy but
    my team for today would be this
    _____krul______
    simmo_perch_colo_santon
    sammy_anita_bigi_marvo
    _______cisse_ba
    it can change to 4132 when we go a goal down but 4-4-2 has not worked well for us this season simply because we have insisted on using a poor winger which therefore ruins it
    all season long these newer formations i think a partly to blame for the mix up as it has had so many players going out of position
    cisse and ba are both strikers not wide men
    cabaye when he was playing was playing more like a winger than a CM
    tiote and anita are DM not attacking midfielders bigi does more agression than them two
    santon is a FB not a winger
    colocini is a CB not a lb
    as for all this 442 causes hoof ball well it doesn’t hoof ball is caused when you have not real creativity in midfield and have championship CB
    i would stay 4-4-2 from now until january and if we bring remy then change it into a 4-2-3-1 as remy will be more designed as a rooney like forward than a out and out forward

• 11 Transfer Sage // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Tads

Ba is a selfish football…nothing will tell me otherwise.

Played for hoffenheim, refused to join up with his squad after the winter break as he wanted a move to the prem league. This got him his move to west ham.

Got to west ham, had a release clause in his contract in case things went wrong. They did so got his move.

Joined us, got another release clause (remember we looked like a bottom half team to the media that year) so he wanted an option for a better team coming in for him.

He had a good year with us, we got European football and he still won’t sign a new contract without that clause.

That’s fine with me, well within his right to do it as a player naturally wants to play for the biggest team possible and get money and trophies if possible.

Ba might want a central role, doesn’t annoy me that he does, that’s his position after all and he is good at it.

Ba annoys me a bit for this but two things annoy me more.

1. Pardew. Pick what’s best for the team. Either drop one of Ba or cisse or play Ba left. Ba can play left whereas cisse is useless anywhere but alone up front.

2. The club. Tell him to accept te deal on offer or he will be replaced. If Ashley had bought the striker we needed we would have a much more leverage to negotiate with Ba as we wouldn’t need him as much.

I think Ba is off in jan. disnt get a summer move as his goals dried up out left. Now he is central and getting goals he might get more interest than just Turkish and Russian sides so I imagine he will leave.

• 12 Transfer Sage // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Stuart

I don’t think pardew will take us down.

If we get the players pardew wants then he has no excuse to not get results. We will see what happens in jan but I think Ashley will open his wallet and help pardew.

I’m reserving final judgement til the end of the season but so far I am disappointed. Not just the league position but the lack of change. How many times must we bang on with the same few things, players (injuries not helping) but formation and set plays etc. before realising it isn’t working.

• 13 toonking // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:34 AM

i only placed sammy there as HBAm is injuryed

• 14 blew // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM

If they are good enough for the Championship, why dont clubs in that league come in for these youngsters?
    Vuckic did go to Cardiff, but was so so. Good is one of our better youngsters and he is at Bradford.
    Sammi would do well at Blyth along with Ranger.
    To sum it up most of the youngsters are not going to make it, but not many do, or have done over the years.
    How many top class youngsters have we produced since Gazza?

• 15 Transfer Sage // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Catchy

We didnt invest though

We never improved the squad as Guthrie and best left who were first teamed and only 2 cms for first team squad came in

Only bigi and Anita are anywhere near ready and still settling in.

Still think amalfitano should be in the first team squad or leaving the club as he is 23, not a kid anymore.

• 16 Indian Magpie // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Toonking

What’s the logic?

• 17 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Indian…..Then well done. You asked what he had meant and that’s what I think he meant at the time. Did I think they would do better than they are? Yes, I think I did expect more.

This is in no way blaming the youth for our poor season, in fact at times, they’ve been some of the better bits, but overall they aren’t offering enough and would benefit from going on loan.

• 18 Indian Magpie // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM

TS

You say Big is close to first team.

Pardew says he should not be playing. Face it we only bought 1 1st teamer and let 2-3 go

• 19 Transfer Sage // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Indian

I disagree with pardew. Bigi is a decent squad player for me.

But yes we did only buy one player with the intention of being first team which was Anita.

Bigi was just a bonus

• 20 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Sage
    Guess we’ll have to agree to disagree mate
    Benny went on strike and went AWOL to sign and we loved it! (once again the fickle oart if football its okay to do that if you join the toon)

West ham had a clause against his knee i’d imagine we have too, but his clause was insisted upon wgen west hams clause was insited upon
    He was also in negotiations with west ham when a group of there “fans” gatecrashed there end of season meal and singled him out for abuse including a large amout of racial abuse
    I dont think he’s a merc and would be potrayed very differently in the media and by fans if stoke hadn’t publicly talked about his medical, something which he has always denied

• 21 Indian Magpie // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Ibiza,

Believe me i am not blaming The youth players. I just could see this coming

• 22 Indian Magpie // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I REFUSE TO BELIVE SAMMY IS BETTER THAN AMALFITANO

• 23 catchy in norway // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I’m so annoyed with Pardew ( surprised , not haha ) this is the second dig that he has had towards the kids

The kids are only 3 points behind Man U in the reserve league so that suggests there carnt be that bad

I am waiting for him to come out and say ameobi obertan Simpson willamson jonas are not premiership quality, but that won’t happen he has no balls to stand up to adults, he is focusing on the wrong set of players , his priority should be getting his disfunctional first team playing better football, instead of fielding a weak team then having a go them , maybe that yells you that he isn’t a class manager, a good manager would say well they will learn from that , there young and they played a good team tonight

The man is not good enough , and I question his man management skills

6-0 to city today

• 24 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Indian
    Who were the 2-3 first teamers we let go cos as far as i can tell we only let guthrie go from what you would call the first team

• 25 Indian Magpie // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM

#nufc Krul; Simpson, Williamson, Coloccini (c), Santon; Perch, Tiote, Anita; Cisse, Ba, Gutierrez

• 26 Joe Blog // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM

PARKING THE BUS!

• 27 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Indian..Sorry, wasn’t trying to say that’s what you were saying :)

Just making sure it was known I wasn’t blaming this season on the young players. Two separate issues.

Tads…I’m with you. I find the attitude towards Ba staggering really. Especially as many people are just assuming things. He may not be wonderful, but I imagine the situation is 50/50 as for who is being more difficult out of Ba or NUFC.

• 28 Joe Blog // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Hopeful (hopeless) launches in the general vicinity of Cisse & Ba our only means of attack.

• 29 colwell // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM

My God Pards your are going defensive against City that will work at least when they score they know we won’t.

• 30 Transfer Sage // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Tads

I don’t agree with Ben arfa doing it either. I always worry he would do the same to us if he fell out with the manager or if a big club came in for him.

Ba is a mercenary though. In not criticising him for it. It’s natural you want to move to a higher paid job and to a more successful team. It just makes sense.

There is no reason he should have loyalty to us. He never supported us, never claimed to, he isn’t a local lad, we never brought him through the academy.

My issue isn’t with Ba, it’s with the manager and the club not doing what’s best for the team.

• 31 Indian Magpie // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:48 AM

TADS
    Guthrie
    Best
    Smith/Loven

• 32 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Joe blog
    Is that a 433 with anita as the advanced CM? Not a bad line up if bennys injured the only chage being at home would be marv for guti

• 33 gaz 44 // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM

my mate thinks we have a deal for a Vincent abounkar or something.. supposed to be cheap as chips but would be a squaddie

• 34 GeordieDan // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Confirmed. Ben Arfa NOT startiing today. :(

But probably not worth the risk anyway.

• 35 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:51 AM

So no Marv start? No Benny on the bench.

Creativity is not looking good.

Catchy….This was a comment related to youth players. Take the rest of your feelings out of the equation, are the youth players PL quality? Not talking about the other player in our first team, just the youth.

• 36 Transfer Sage // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Terrible line up.

There is no link between attack and midfield. There is no width.

I can’t see where we will get a goal from.

• 37 Indian Magpie // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:51 AM

#MCFC XI vs #NUFC: Hart, Zabaleta, Kolo Toure, Nastasic, Clichy, Garcia, Yaya Toure, Nasri, Silva, Tevez, Aguero

• 38 Nufc-83 // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Wow who thinks we will muster a shot on goal with that team. Anita most attacking player in mid an he is a dm/fb. Nice 1 pards you clown.

• 39 Big Pappa Cissé // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM

After that team announcement I will eat my hat if we get anything out of this game

• 40 GeordieDan // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Also confirmed. No Kompany for Citeh either. :D

Probably won’t effect them too much though tbh. :/

• 41 toonarmydownsouth // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Indian
    Tbf best stopped being a first team player when cisse signed
    Lovinghands and sicknote smith didnt even feature last season!

• 42 catchy in norway // Dec 15, 2012 at 11:56 AM

TS

No we didn’t , but I still believe we have a squad that is a top 10 squad

Lets face it, the defence has been pretty much the same as last year

We have had our 2 best forwards fit all season

We have had suspensions yes, injuries yea , but not as bad as everyone is making out,

Pardews mistake is fielding 2 different teams in EPL and EL , why carnt he use the best 11 he has, pick a style , and play with one main style , replacing players when injured or suspended , continuity is a great thing

It’s like stability ,

Who thinks as a club we are stable?

• 43 south coast toon // Dec 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM

there missing gareth barry and company that makes it alot easeir for us, our yongsters got chucked in against a decent side pardew is wrong to slaughter them, pherhaps he will come out and say something about the purples today being chamioship players………..that tranfere list was interesting douglas valued at 7.5 mil…..and patrick vanholt is on there ……. but i do fear we will get wilfred bouma 34 lol

previous post: Alan Pardew – We’ll Be In Market For New Players