The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Arsenal Makes Me Dream – Demba Ba

8:31 am, Monday, December 17th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 35 Comments

Not only could Newcastle be in the relegation zone in January,  but it’s looking more and more like our top scorer Demba Ba will be on his way to another club, and it’s now very likely that Arsenal will only have to make the £7M bid that will meet the release clause in his contract, and he’ll be on his way to London – if he can pass the medical.

demba ba after scroing agains Man City

Demba Ba – after scoring in 3-1 defeat against Manchester City on Saturday

Demba Ba has been quiet on the speculation that has surrounded him since last January, when Harry Redknapp revealed there was a release clause in the striker’s contract, and the striker has often said he likes it at Newcastle, but has failed to sign a new contract that has been offered to him.

This is what the striker said to the French outlet Canal+

“Arsenal are one of those teams who makes you dream. I have nothing to say about those speculations. Nothing has happened. The media know Arsenal need another striker and they know about my release clause. They need to make their own mind up about it.”

If Demba Ba does leave Newcastle, with the club being in so much danger at the bottom of the Premier League at the moment, that will hardly look good to Newcastle fans, and while it pains me to say it – he probably should leave if that’s the level of commitment and loyalty he has to Newcastle.

It was a complete circus in the summer, when for two months in June and July,  there were frequent reports that clubs in Europe were after him.

We don’t want it to be the same in January, because it make a complete laughing stock of football, and if he wants to move, it would probably be best if he moves in early January.

But it will be a terrible blow for Newcastle who could well be in the bottom three at that time, and we’ll be immersed in another relegation battle – and who’s going to score the goals?

Demba Ba has 11 of the of the 19 goals Newcastle have scored in their first 17 games of the season in the league – so you see what we mean.

But there’s still some hope for Newcastle fans, as the striker tweeted this after the game on Saturday:

“I wanna thank the fans really. I was looking at the stand and think….. what an atmosphere”

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Contracts · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

35 responses so far ↓

• 1 Santon03 // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:34 AM

If Ba trully loves NUFC not money, he would have signed a contract without release clause in it.
    He maybe deserved 90k/week, but it’s something we couldn’t afford.

• 2 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Why is it looking more and more like he will leave in January?

Is this really any different to the other window?
    What he’s said is Arsenal are a club that make you dream, well yes, they are a big club, other than that he points to media speculation.

If it happens, it happens, much like incoming players, I’m not going to wind myself up about outgoings.

• 3 jeff // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:37 AM

i honestly think giroud is better than demba ba

giroud is probably better in every statistic other than goals scored. if i remember correctly he has the highest assists for arsenal so far this season

• 4 jeff // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:39 AM

his comments disgust me by the way

• 5 Rotonda heights // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I think Ba going could actually be a good thing. It will
    remove all the uncertainty one way or the other and let Cisse play in his right position. The problem all season has been playing 2 number 9’s when we only need 1 central striker and we would then see the real Cisse I think.

The sickening thing about our situation now, ie 15th is that we are now very vulnerable to losing some of the best players we’ve ever assembled at any one time.

All we need is a consistently good manager who will let them play for 90 mins and an owner who will sign Carr’s recommendations.

The other side of the coin is who is going to want to come to a struggling team in Jan?

It’s very ironic Hughton has Norwich in 7th place on far, far more limited resources than ourselves. So the endless injury, EL and personnel excuses just don’t wash at all.

Ba says Arsenal make you dream. I don’t think we can ever accuse Pardew of that! He doesn’t have to pick Willo, Simmo and Jonas every match. He doesn’t have to play Ba and Cisse together every match.

Pardew is a play it safe merchant who is stopping the players getting us off our seats. Well the good players will be getting off their seats and on their bikes.

Ginger

Apparently Ashley turned down the Mansoors before they got city and can anyone really say hand on heart they wouldn’t want a bit of that. A proper manager with a great CV, top players etc, etc.

I would take Ambani or Carlos Slim in a heatbeat. City were nothing before. Now there are at least 4/5 teams who can win things. No one complained when we were paying world record fees for Shearer etc back in the day.

• 6 Santon03 // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:41 AM

If Ba goes and Cisse still firing blanks, does AP dare to put false #9 in front?

• 7 Indian Magpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Maria Sharapova, Cindy Nell make me dream. Doesn’t mean anything

• 8 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Jeff….Ba’s?

Rotonda….So we finished higher than Chelsea last year, are we better than them or was Pardew better than Di Matteo?

I get what you’re saying, things aren’t great, not at all at the minute, but I’m not sure how you can just discount of injury, EL games, lack of new players completely. They will have had some impact.

On his player selections, truth is Simmo and Willo were always going to get the lions share of games and except Perch, who do we really have to take one of those spots that would be an improvement worth talking about? Guti could / should have sat some out by now, no disagreement. Also agree the ST situation should have been mixed up more by now.

• 9 toonbrother // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:45 AM

classic case of a good individual player who’s bad for the team. The sooner he leaves the sooner this great club gets back to winning ways. He scores a lot of goals but his attitude simply stinks. Can’t wait to see the back of him. Lets get Andre Ayew from Marseilles in. TOP player that lad. Absolute class.

• 10 Rotonda heights // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:46 AM

On another subject not condoning Fellaini at all, it was terrible but it really couldn’t happen to a nicer guy!
    Shawlcross is a grade A thug who said he wouldn’t change after his leg brealking 2 footed lunge on Ramsay. I guess what goes around…..

• 11 Santon03 // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:46 AM

If Ba goes and Cisse not in form, and no replacement. I fear Shola will be our only option. I don’t think AP would try to play HBA or Obertan as striker.

• 12 toonbrother // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:47 AM

ambani? Carlos Slim? why not get Bloomberg Bill Gates and Mitt Romney while you;re at it.lol

• 13 toonbrother // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Cisse has done very well to score 4 goals from the right wing. As soon as Ba f*cks off, the flood gates will open for cisse

• 14 Tsunki // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Forget about Cisse not being in form we have a good No 9 out of position and holding him back is a journeyman on the money trail. No regrets but so long D£mba, thanks for the goals. Let’s get our No9 in the slot and firing again. Time to move on new faces in Jan.

• 15 jeff // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:52 AM

yes ba’s

man, obertan as a striker… could be quite good…

i wish pardew would experiment a bit instead of being a cautious asswipe. he has talked about playing obertan centrally. he talks the talk but is too scared to implement it (ie saying jonas is playing bad, turning nufc into a better ‘footballing’ side)

• 16 Santon03 // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:53 AM

If I was AP, I would try something way different than usual. It’s obvious everyday plan doesn’t work, why not drasticly change it. It couldn’t get any worse than keep losing.

• 17 Spuggy // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Ba is a great striker lets not forget that, but something just doesn’t sit right about him. He is clearly the right player to be playing on the wing as he is more gifted at hold up and distribution. Yet pards constantly plays Cisse on the wing, who is built to play only in the middle. Then there’s the comments about Demba playing central in 90 % of games that he made at the start of the season as if to pacify one player.

A great player but appears to have too much power for me. If he goes we should go for a winger style ball playing forward a la remy and stick with Cisse in the middle where he belongs.

• 18 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Jeff…The “Arsenal are one of those teams who makes you dream” bit?

Hasn’t Obertan been out for a while? I understand he’s back now, anyone know where he’s at with regards to fitness etc.

• 19 sirtoongospel // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I am not sure how people can have concerns that Papiss wouldn’t step up to the plate.

He has always scored goals, and when he is freed up, I am convinced that he will score quite freely, but more than that, the faster football we could play the likes of Anita, Cabaye, Marv etc all starting, would create chances for more players, and get the midfield contributing, not just HBA all the time.

Ba is getting on my tits though to be honest. Wether it is him, his agents or whatever, at no point has he read the speculation and then said, “Don’t worry NUFC fans, I want to stay”, and his silence says a million words.

• 20 Londtoon // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Can I ask if anyone else feels the same as me. Please respond but to me Gutierezz is not in my opinion good enough for the first team. He is not good at going round players, not good at crossing. Only thing he can do is track back, shoot or head the ball. I would switch him and Santon or play Marveaux.

• 21 Rotonda heights // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Ibiza

It feels like ground hog day but here we go again!

Pardew is 52 years old and like virtually every other English manager has won zilch, unless you count the Johnson painter Trophy.

Di Matteo on the other hand won the European cup and the FA cup and qualified for the CL within a few short months and was still sacked. I think I would trade that against finishing 5th.

Last season we had enormous bits of luck and if you took away Benny and Cisse’s individual brilliance most games apart from the 433, 6 game winning streak were mediocre at best. One good season doesn’t and hasn’t equalled consistency.

We have lost 7 out of 8. Say that slowly and the reality may just start to kick in with some people. The operative word in last season is LAST!

Krul

Colo (Sweeper) Tav Perch

Santon (RWB) Anita Tiote Jonas/ Fergie(LWB)

Benny Cisse Marveaux

• 22 Tsunki // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Rotonda – City was my dads team and for the first ten years of my life mine. Had a soft spot for them right up to being the super-rich team of mercenaries they are now. Balotelli alone makes me dislike what they stand for. Nufc with such owners may transform our club, but the groundswell of fans would be made almost entirely of plastic. Balti pies would be dropped for prawn sandwiches, singing areas for corporate boxes. I think I might be disillusioned.

• 23 Santon03 // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Spuggy

I would promote Santon as winger.

• 24 Transfer Sage // Dec 17, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Rotonda

Wish people would have a go at shawcross all the time.

Poor tackle but not intent to hurt Ramsey, just and unfortunate accident.

• 25 Spuggy // Dec 17, 2012 at 9:00 AM

What I simply cannot understand is not once have we played the winning formation that did the business last season. 4-2-3-1 with Ba out on the LW.

Is this just because Ba doesn’t want to play there, did pards make a promise to him to stop him leaving last summer? So we drop a tried and tested winning formula for one player?

• 26 sirtoongospel // Dec 17, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Tsunki @13, couldn’t agree more.

Ba is not that good a player to warrant the special treatment he is getting. If he was up there with Shearer etc then fair enough, but he isn’t fit to lace Al’s boots.

Cisse is our number 9, and Pardew is desrespecting the shirt in what he is doing. He claims to “understand” us. Well if so he should know fine well what the 9 is all about, and Cisse is the man for the job. He got stick on Saturday from PArdew for missing the chance, no mntion though of the brilliant first touch, which left the defender for dead. With a run in the centre Cisse would score for fun. I am gonna have a bet today on Cisse being top scorer at the end of the season.

• 27 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Sirtoon…It’s not a question of if, but when. Without Ba in the team or on the bench, that is a big ask for a team in need of goals. I just think we should be trying to play one alone before we sell out top goal scorer, seems to make sense.

Londtoon…I don’t think he should be dropped indefinitely, but he should have been giving way a few times this season so far. I don’t think he’s a LW anymore, whether due to age or Pardew making him too defensive minded is up for debate. Nor do I really rate him at LB too much. For me he is now a CDM, he can support the defense and attack, which is what he does. Still, when fully fit and in form we have better players for that position.

• 28 Transfer Sage // Dec 17, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Roy keane was a thug, deliberately injuring people.

• 29 Oleg G // Dec 17, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Doesn’t sound like he is committed to the club. Scoring or not, we need players who are fighting for the club, not for their next contract at a higher ranking team.

If he would say – … makes you dream, but I am 100% committed to my correct team Newcastle, and I want to stay there.
    Instead he is saying – I would not say no if Arsenal will pay my release clause.

“… Arsenal need another striker and they know about my release clause. They need to make their own mind up about it.”

• 30 Santon03 // Dec 17, 2012 at 9:06 AM

TS

Vinnie Jones also a thug

• 31 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Rotonda…Sorry, I thought you were using Norwichs league position to show the strength of management, so why would that not apply to Pardew and our position last season? Might have misunderstood your point.

I am aware of how many losses we’ve had and it’s not good. I can also see improvement…THIS SEASON…from what could be called by some fans as a period of loss of form (yes, as well as other factors).

I think a defense that includes Fergie and Tav would get much worse results that one that includes Simmo and Willo personally, but they are younger and maybe after a bad period they would improve. Maybe should have started the season that way, but not now imo.

• 32 Bloody Marveauxlous // Dec 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM

How about this LADS as a team for after January:

—————————Cisse—————————
    Remy———————————————–HBA
    ————–Sissoko————-Cabaye————–
    —————————Tiote—————————
    Santon—–Colo—————–Douglas——Anita
    —————————-Krul—————————-

Subs:
    Elliot, Raylor, Saylor, Jonas, Marveaux, Obertan, Shola

This team would concentrate on the play-making side of things. In-cooperate our forgotten 4-3-3 and would focus on wingers and pace. Anita is also a very good full-back and could be brought in to defensive midefield in the place of sissoko if we are coming under pressure and need to play defensive.

Out:

Ba – £7M
    Simpson – £2.5M

In:

Remy – £11M
    Douglas – £2.5M
    Sissoko – £2M

Is MA gave Wor’ Pards, the money for Cisse (around £10M), then why wouldn’t he spend £11M or so, on Loic Remy?

Seems like good business to me! ;)

Also, can’t Demba Ba’s release clause only be activated by a club in the champion’s league. By that reckoning, Liverfool, Spuds, and QPR (Quality Players Ruined.) are all out of the race???!!!

• 33 Spreadthetoon // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM

No one player is bigger than the TEAM! Seems like AP has pandered to BA all season with the formation. If the lad wants to go to Arsenal…that’s fine with me….I want players who have real passion to wear our jersey. If Ba goes then we need another 2 strikers minimum IMO.

• 34 Lee Dodd // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I am Sorry But Get Remy Get Shot Of Ba If He dreams or Arsenal its The Old Coma and Get Me Arsen Cry so Demba Ring For a Taxi !!!!!! We Need Committment so You and Danny Simpson head to London and Kip at Tulisas Mansion In Essex !!!!! Lets Get Debouchey . Even Andy Carroll Home..

• 35 HullMag6 // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Try the giroud swap deal for Ba? I would.

previous post: Ben Arfa Out For Four Weeks – Was He Brought Back Too Soon?

next post: Newcastle Now Linked With Former Striker Target