The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew Buoyed By Good Performance And Fans’ Patience

10:51 am, Monday, December 17th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 176 Comments

Newcastle looked to have some better shape in the team on Saturday, as Alan Pardew again played in a 4-3-3 formation with Papiss Cisse out wide on the right, and Demba Ba playing in the middle, and Vurnon Anita looked a class player for Newcastle in the middle of the park.

papiss cisse sad

Papiss Cisse – had decent game on Saturday

While Alan Pardew, along with Newcastle fans, was disappointed we again failed to take anything out of the game, the Newcastle manager thought the performance was good, and he started talking about Vurnon Anita:

“He understands the pace now. Yaya Toure and Anita were the best two players on Saturday.” “In that company, it just shows he can play at the top level and that is why we brought him to the club.” ”We are missing big, big players to play with him, unfortunately.”

“I thought Cisse put in a good shift.” “I thought he played that role well and held the ball up.” “I thought Demba played well too.” “Vurnon was terrific – he was our outstanding player.”

“We were having six or seven last year and we had a few in this game – four or five – which was better.” “Manchester City had a bit of resilience about them.” “We gave a good account of ourselves but took no points.”

“I was buoyed by the game, I really was.” “I am not just saying that for the sake of it.” “I thought our fans were terrific – they gave us the benefit of the doubt.” “We were playing the champions, so a stray pass was not really reacted to.”

We must say the Newcastle fans at these games are showing a lot of patience, and we hope they can keep that up and support our lads big time, because we have the feeling once we get another win, the confidence our players will get from that could see us go on a nice run to get out of the trouble we are in at the moment.

We hope to see us go on a nice run to get out of the trouble we are in at the moment. :D

But it’s the great Newcastle fans that can make all the difference in the couple of months of vital games that lie ahead.

Comments always welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Demba Ba · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse · Vurnon Anita

176 responses so far ↓

• 1 Indian Magpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Ibiza,

Just for every 1 to get together and enjoy being jolly. rather than looking at the spectre of doom and gloom.

Implementing Pardew’s useless training techniques and put even more pressure

• 2 Indian Magpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Watching Llambias being torn apart by horses is too good for Ashley

• 3 archaeomag // Dec 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I am pleased Alan is Buoyed:
    Buoy – 1. float on the surface of water
    float, swim – be afloat either on or below a liquid surface and not sink to the bottom
    2. Buoy – keep afloat;
    Good keep it up.

• 4 archaeomag // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Indian – that is very cruel to the horses and in very poor taste, & we have laws that prohibit this.

• 5 DarloGeordie // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM

F@ck off Alan your a sh!t manager always have been and always will be……

Here have a smiley :-( :-) ;-)

• 6 Indian Magpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:03 AM

archaeomag

Apologies

• 7 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Not once does the guy come out and say , I have to take some of the blame,
    I have set the team up wrong in the first place and I keep having to change it mid game to combat the other team,

I carnt remember many games this season where he has had to field a very weakend team, in Europe he made lots of changes , but I tend to think in those early Europe games that team was doing much better than the EPL team ,

I believe Pardew loves to talk a good game but he can not back it up with facts,

Saturday was the first time all season that we have started a game and looked good, it only lasted 10 mins , but on Saturday he was missing HBA cabaye and saylor , 3 of his best players , and the back up seemed ok there, and that was against the champions , the teams he fielded against some of the teams we have lost to where stronger than Saturdays

But you can buy his bullshit if you like

We all know cisse is no use on the right wing

We all know jonas is not the player he was and maybe another should get his place

• 8 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Indian….I can only imagine what the response on here would have been if the article had been “Pardew prepares for NUFC Christmas party”.

I think a “we’ve gotten ourselves out of the sh*t party” would go down much better, as and when they manage it.

• 9 wreker16 // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Ibiza

You seem like an independent source of knowledge regarding the blog

Was there any anti Pardew blogging when we were winning 6 in a row last season? I wasn’t a blog member at that point

• 10 BelfastMagpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Wrecker

Ibiza is blog police, not to be trusted.
    He’s a snake in the grass, keep your distance..

• 11 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Wreker..I spend a fair bit of time on here, so get a general feel of things as far as the blog is concerned.

Can’t really recall any anti pardew calls at that time, although I’m sure there were still some who weren’t fans of him, despite us doing well. Usually at those times they’re pretty quiet though, easier to make the point when we’re doing badly obviously.

What’s your thoughts, do you think he can turn it around?

• 12 Indian Magpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Wreker yes we were just like West ham fans, who loved pardew and next season couldn’t wait for him to get out.

• 13 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Woop woop, it’s the sound of the police, woop woop, it’s the sound of the beast.

Have a sh*t weekend Belfast? I do hope so ;)

• 14 Indian Magpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Martin Jol Finished 5th twice still got the sack, harry finished 4th he got the sack.

• 15 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Indian….And did that bring success to either West Ham or the respective clubs of Jol and ‘arry? Obviously a bit early to judge AVBs impact at Spurs.

• 16 Indian Magpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Ibiza and it will bring success to us? You sure?

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Wrecked,
    Tbh it was exactly the same three who were banging on about Pards except one of them stopped posting altogether while we were winning,a lot of us have a moan about some of his bizarre statements or team selections but I get the feeling most are behind him and feel he should have been backed in the summer.

• 18 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Indian…Think we might have our wires crossed….will what bring us success? Keeping Pardew? No one can be sure of anything, either by keeping or sacking a manager. That is my only point really.

• 19 Indian Magpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Ibiza all i am saying is yes he took us to 5th but 1 swallow does not make a summer.

Look at his previous jobs

• 20 TorqToon // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Bit harsh of Ibiza I reckon. Chatter back and forth for some time now with him and always found him knowledgable, fair and decisive. Would prefer that to the constant neggers that plague this blog of late.

On Pards – gotta say, as much as tactics etc can be culpable, the players currently on or roster MUST take some blame! Willo and Simpson ONLY play their supposed positions and should be doing better, Tiote plays his position every week and was awful against Fulham last Monday especially. Not hit form for us yet. Players who are playing out of position (cisse etc) is hard because it takes a while to become natural – if it ever happens.

I truely believe we won’t go down – and I never said that in our relegation year. Pards will come good and god willing, Ashley will give us money to spend next month as we are in dire need of 3-4 new faces!

• 21 Tommyy // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Think the cancelling of the Christmas Party in respect for the fans is a tad weak, us fan’s couldn’t give two sh*ts if they have a Christmas party or not I would have thought, just get the bloody results in either way. If you’re going to cancel it, cancel it because unanimously you feel you don’t deserve it. If they’ve been working hard, give them a timeout to generate some perspective.

• 22 Graeme // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Indian, very true, but it could be the start of a nice relationship!!

• 23 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Indian….I have taken a look at his previous jobs…quite a bit actually. I can find reports saying he was useless, much like many fans are saying now and I can also find reports him not being backed and his job being made more difficult than needed.

All sounds very familiar, the only difference I can see this time is it looks like he’ll be given a better chance to turn things around, then we’ll be in a much better situation to judge him. If that brings relegation then I will be as upset as the rest of you and Pardew would need to take some of the blame, but I really don’t see our current plight as being just down to Pardew. Do I think he’s a top manager? No. Do I think he’s a relegation manager? No.

• 24 Tommyy // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I’m behind Pardew, but as i’ve maintained for the last year, I wish he’d do away with his excuses and have us playing some decent football on a consistent basis.

• 25 TorqToon // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Tommyy – hear what you are saying, but could you imagine the furore on hear if Pards had come and said the Xmas party was still going ahead ?! It would be manic on here. Really a lose lose situation.

• 26 Indian Magpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Ibiza are you saying he was not given a better chance in his previous jobs.

Southampton were like man city of League 1 they were still in bottom half when he left.

• 27 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Torq…I think the decisive comment might warrant some questioning…I am chief fence sitter :) Cheers though, i do try (yes, yes….very trying I know).

I agree with what you’re saying, I expect by season close relegation talk will be a distant memory.

Tommy….At least it shows they’re acknowledging a problem and that they’re keen to fix it.

• 28 check the toastie // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:37 AM

PARDEW OUT

• 29 Indian Magpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Could have had a secret Christmas party

• 30 Tommyy // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Pardew is an 8th – 14th place manager in my eyes. Lacks the nous and ability to really have us take the top spots on a regular basis, but certainly has the experience and dedication to steer us from relegation.
    I just don’t think he’s really improved as a manager throughout his career, which is a shame.

• 31 Indian Magpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I am not saying

Pardew out, or

Relegation

But he should stop making excuses and use proper tactics

• 32 TorqToon // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Tommyy – so lets say Pards gets the boot…who would you want to take over? And somebody who would realistically take the job and take us to the next level?

• 33 Tommyy // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Torqtoon – What I think he should have done is say nothing, we don’t need to know about their Christmas plans and we shouldn’t really want to.

• 34 Indian Magpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM

OH and stop being a yes MAN.

and i may lose my job because i am not a yes man. so b4 any 1 says otherwise

• 35 BelfastMagpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Catchy & Rotanda were always anti Pardew.

Though Catchy was directing most of his hate towards Obertan last season.

• 36 Indian Magpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:43 AM

TorqToon

all things being equal – Roberto Martinez

• 37 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Indian….09/10 – Finished 7th, despite a 10 point reduction.
    10/11 – Pardew was sacked in August 2010.

Yes I’m saying he wasn’t given time.

• 38 nick_9 // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I have only seen a few Pardew out posts and they are from the extreme posters. The majority just want to see an improvement or for him to recognise the errors like the silly set pieces that do not work. If any of you posters attend the games and buy the Matchday programme then take a look near the back. It shows what teams we have put out each game and after seeing it I do beliveve we should have more points, not because we have a define right to win but you expect a better calibre of performance from a team who finished fifth. What ever way you look at it 4 wins in 17 league games, 6 league defeats in the last 7 and only 1 win in the last 11 games in a comps again a side with ten men is always going to look bad. We’ve blamed it on preseason, lack of fitness, no cohesion, injuries and Europe. It’s nice for Pardew to say we should be doing better but I certainly would not begrudge the lads a Christmas party. Some players have been giving it their all so it’s harsh to punish them and I hope the majority agree with me. I’m just a little bit concerned about some of the views of Pardew, I think he is a little out of touch with us fans. I get the impression he thinks we expect a lot when If you look at the performances and the results I think any club would have unhappy fans, the gallowgate were singing his name on Saturday after 6 defeats in 7 and a league standing comparable with the dross of the league. I think our expectations are reasonable, any realistic fan knew it would be hard to match 5th wih euope and without serious investment but we expect better performances against teams around us. Luckily the signs are starting to show more cohesion and we took it to city at times, I we can carve then open on several occasions we can most other clubs. Qpr the pressure is on for a win, I we don’t with Man U and arsenal next it’s looking very bad.

• 39 BelfastMagpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I stand by my comment on Ibiza.

He’s blog police for sure..

• 40 TorqToon // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Tommyy – Yeah but with Tw@tter etc word would’ve come up about the party, however secretive it was in arranging. Then there would’ve been hell to pay.

Indian – whilst we are on it – In gonna throw Di Matteo out there! But in all honesty, I’m happy with Pards – just think he needs more financial backing.

• 41 Tommyy // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I would like Martinez, he’s shown consistent improvement throughout his managerial career. He plays nice football despite limited ability players at his disposal. He’s worked in tight budget restraints. He’s a hard working and honest man who seemingly commands respect from his players, his fans and the rest of us.
    I could envisage great times with someone like him at our helm, a solid base for him to show what he is capable of.
    It says it all that I used to despise Wigan, since he has been there I have found myself enjoying watching them play and my hate for them has dissipated.
    I don’t want to see Pardew gone though, we have had good times with him and there’s no reason as to why we can’t replicate them. I just fear when everything is stripped down to the bone, he’s not good enough simple as that.

• 42 Indian Magpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Well i say apart from

Mcdermott
    Harry
    Martin o Neill
    Benitez

I will have any 1in PL as our manager over pardew

• 43 Indian Magpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:49 AM

and sam allardyce of course

• 44 Indian Magpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Tommyy

Also have you ever heard Martinez making an excuse

• 45 wreker16 // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Ibiza
    Well now cabaye and Ben arfa out I’m not sure he can do much before new year. His player selections do seem odd but there must be method to the madness, mustn’t there?!?!?
    Ba dilemma needs to be solved though, whatever the specifics are

Indian
    Good to know

JFA
    Fair enough. Investment in the summer would have been invaluable, as we can all see now. I do however believe we will spend in January, I think we need at least 3, cb Rb some sort of central midfielder who can cover cabaye and then preferably a striker as well, and if ba goes then definitely another striker. I have seen plenty of good stuff under Pardew, and like at weekend, we don’t have to play hoofball to play some nice footy. We just need consistent good stuff and particularly results ATM.

• 46 Tommyy // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Torqtoon – Well if we as fans are going to actively search for and then explode upon news of a Christmas party then we should be seriously considering our priorities and what we follow football for.

• 47 wreker16 // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Belfast

I’ll keep a look out for him and his shady policing

• 48 TorqToon // Dec 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Tommyy – On this blog mate – the smallest thing can explode !! :-)

• 49 Tommyy // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Indian – A good point, I have only ever heard Martinez take it on the chin for poor performances or results aside from when they were quite blatantly taken the piss out of by the ref at Man Utd. Even in that case i held a lot of respect for him for openly crticising the diablical refereeing decisions.

• 50 toonLYF // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I thought Cisse had the better game out of him and Demba, despite the goal. He was a pleasure to watch.

Anita – best performance from any of our CM’s so far this season.

On another note, i see some mackems are on about signing Milner, Nani and Walcott…fcuking crackheads!

• 51 nick_9 // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:03 PM

What do you make of balotelli taking city to a tribunal? Walking down a path of no return if you ask me, wouldn’t be surprised if that’s why he wasn’t in the squad against us.

• 52 Dannyo // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM

@Tommyy
    It’s not for us, it’s for them.
    If they haven’t done a good job, why celebrate the season?
    Makes sense and it something for them to remember.

• 53 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Belfast…Then I eagerly urge for Ed to give me his backing to enforce my rulings :)

Wreker…..I would assume there is method to the madness, he doesn’t seem to be enjoying the criticism so one would think he’s trying to sort things out :) It’s going to be tough before it get’s better, the lads showing some fight against City was a positive though and I don’t think we can ask for too much more at this time.

• 54 hotdog // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Complete Joke its xmas and they should be able to have a party like everyone else, Good Season or Bad

Christ there would not have been many xmas parties at NUFC over the years by this criteria!!

• 55 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Indian….Any thoughts on my response at 37?

Nick_9….Good post. Blog police approved! All things being equal you may be right, but there have certainly been some extremist views recently and there is no doubt Pardew is aware of them, so I do understand the Christmas party comments and I’d imagine the players are in agreement…but that is of course a guess.

• 56 Tommyy // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Dannyo – If it’s for them, why is Pardew saying it’s on our behalf? I disagree entirely, not only should everyone be able to celebrate Christmas (we’re not talking about celebrating football here) but as I said, It could be the chance for a fresh perspective they may need.
    We’re also not talking about a weeks booze bender in an exotic location, we’re talking about a controlled evening celebrating a national holiday.

• 57 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:18 PM

IBIZA

ehemmm

i and beattie have not like pardew for a long time, since he got here,,

i think you will find what we have said id true

2 main concerns

1, style of football
    2, Favouritism towards players like obertan or jonas or perch or shola,,

you have agreed with these points but you said you where prepaird to give him time,,

so tine is the only thing we tend to dissagree on

• 58 check the toastie // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM

All Pardew has to do is replace Simmo and Jonas and i will have a little bit of faith in him, until then, he doesnt know what he is doing IMHO.

• 59 BelfastMagpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Catchy is a bit like beetle juice you call his name a few times & he arrives.

• 60 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Catchy…What was that in response to?

You have openly said you have never liked Pardew, so favourtism is an after thought, style of football I have not agreed on.

I was happy with last seasons style, which I believe was a mix of longball and passing / pressing football.

Time is our biggest issue, agreed.

• 61 Dannyo // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM

@Tommyy
    I think u’re misunderstanding this.
    It’s probably a party for them, they’re not skipping the entire christmas this year. Not everyone celebrates it either for that matter.
    It’ll probably be somewhat controlled indeed.
    But we’re not talking unwrapping presents and stuff.
    We’re talking christmas party, which is something different entirely. And it’s rarely controlled where i am, lol.

• 62 nick_9 // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Cheick I believe at the minute Pardew is unaware of what funds he will have available or he is aware how little it is, with that in mind he could be protecting the players we have sen as though they may not get replaced in the next window.

Saturday 22nd we are at home to qpr and do not play again until Boxing Day, if the lads win that they have the perfect night for a Christmas party, If they don’t then they may not feel like celebrating. It’s almost like Pards has called Christmas off because its why he thinks us fans would want, that’s not the case in my book.

• 63 hotdog // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Beflast Magpie – haha or Candyman :-)

“Two fans are understood to have been waving an Albanian flag close to him and Kolarov, a Serb, was then alleged to have been involved in a running verbal spat which went on for around 10 minutes.”

“One of the fans is then believed to have made a complaint to stewards in the stadium and they reported the incident to police at the ground.”

Have I got this right two “so called” fans go to the game to “have a go” at Kolarov with albania flag. He responds and then they go running to the police, complete tools!

• 64 tequilamag // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Catchy can you explain your comment about favouritism.
    Obertan has played the grand total of 81 mins in the PL this season

• 65 Krul to be Kind // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Who gives a toss about a Xmas party, I want 3 points AFTER the QPR game, even if it is 3 days in the tough games over festive period, I would like a rally call from the leader, all good leaders inspire but unfortunately IMO pardew is very negative/clueless at the moment, this is a non story, I don’t want to hear about cancelling a Xmas party because the fans deserve to see the players suffer… What a load of bull, and I will say again, I’m a backer of pardew but patience is wearing a little thinner than ever before!

We change tactics/formations to much in a game, this tells me that the preparations before games is tripe, wht are the scouts seeing and how is Pardew interpreting the reports? At this point I would say send Carr to scout on upcoming opponents because we certainly don’t push through with his recommendations on purchases so he is wasted wandering around Europe looking for talent and since he is without doubt the bet scout we have why not utilise him domestically?

• 66 Jail for Ashley // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I can imagine 46K fans sitting at the QPR game with a smug look on their faces knowing that Pards has handed out the petty puninishment of banning the xmas party,can you imagine if he took away the X boxes as well.

• 67 Rake // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM

If Ba leaves and we get a quick striker who can play with Cisse and also play on the wing in a 4-3-3 then we are only a Cb and a Rb away from the team i believe Pardew is trying to build.

• 68 Jail for Ashley // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I hope banning the players party doesn’t have the as effect as Phil Browns half time circle rant a few seasons back.

• 69 Krul to be Kind // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I meant 3 draws not 3 days

• 70 Mint // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Once we get rid of Tiote and Simpson, we can spend a cool 10-15 mil on 3 new players in Jan. We’ll finish 10th this year

• 71 Transfer Sage // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Stand by my comment.

Bring on a continental style assistant manger or coach.

Most of out coaching staff have been here for years, and whilst all decent, they are stagnant.

We need a new assistant with fresh ideas and somebody who can help pardew and teach him more about different styles.

The same way Alex ferguson changes his assistant every few years to bring new ideas. Even the best managers may miss something which a fresh pair of eyes can see.

• 72 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM

ibiza

it was your reply to wrecker,,

Favouritism,

the writing was on the wall, you can say what you like about tevez, but what about masc, he never got played and didnt say a word, yet now he plays for the best team in the world,, treated 2 players that could have helped him out like shit
    started straight away in his first season with obertan, his signing he had to play, and if he did not get injured how long would that have gone on for if he did not get injured

i think you are so wrong on the style of football last year,, other than a few games, we ground out results, the results where good, i think your blinded by those results,,

so your telling me , you where / are happy with pardews subs, he has used the same timing since he got here, always very late

i think 17 games into a season is more than long enough for him to have proved it was just a blip

if you look at norwich, swansea villa liverpool west brom,, all new managers at there clubs, all had to come in look at the players an get them playing to the way the new guys wanted them to play, most started off struggling and have all pick up, we have had a guy for 2 years, and he still dont know what football we should be playing,,
    wigan, played better than us with a poorer team and 10 men,, that has to say something

regardless of what you and i think,, this sqaud is a top 10 squad, easy, i have said before, a lot of teams in the top6 would take cabaye tiote krule anita santon HBA BA cisse colo,,
    how am i being unreasnable for asking for us to play football with those players

i feel you will always blindly stick up for pardew, regardless,,

this article,, he is jumping on QPR’s band wagon, and i think it is wrong, do you think this will be good for team spirit? i dont,,

he thinks he can make these Grand Gestures and we will be happy,, id rather him drop one or 2 players than cancle xmas

we are where we are because of his footballing tactics, not because of injuries, not because of to many games

we have a poor manager and a very good squad,, we are sinking to his level

• 73 Jail for Ashley // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Mint,
    Why should have to sell Tiote first before spending 10/15M .

• 74 martoon // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Morning lads – a while since I’ve been on here but still seems to be the same: Pardew bashing and attacking poor old Ibiza who’s only crime is to be a regular poster giving honest, thoughtful, reasoned opinions.
    On the subject of the Xmas party surely this should reflect the whole year and while we are struggling at the moment we did very well at the end of last season January – May.
    On the subject of Pardew – I really think he was let down by the owner in the transfer window. Everybody on here knew we desperately needed a CB & FB and possibly a young up and coming striker and I don’t think anybody would argue that Pardew deserved this based on last season’s finish. We all knew Saylor was injury prone although no-one could forsee HBA & Cabaye being injured at the same time. I really think we have to give Pardew more time and as for his upbeat interviews after defeats then I would not expect anything else from the man who the players look to for leadership.

• 75 nick_9 // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Tequila him and Marveaux have the same number of league sub appearances but marveaux started two games. I think one was Everton were he got hauled off, difference is marveaux has two league Assits which is the joint highest with hba, Ba and shola of all people. If we could find a way to incorporate marveaux in the team we should, he clearly is a creative player and we don’t have many of those. We should be letting qpr worry about our attacking players not looking to contain theirs with Jonas and co.

Because of his pace obertan could be useful but he stil has a lot to learn in my book, I think he is probably ahead of the youngsters in the pecking order

• 76 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM

tequilamag

thats great you can focus on obertan,, im speaking since he got here,

he carnt play if injured

he would get game time if not injured as a sub

• 77 hotdog // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:53 PM

TS – Good points but maybe not quite yet. They aint been together that long. I think we will come through the other side of this providing the defense is strengthend.

• 78 Williamsonsuks // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Looks like Ba and Benny will be leaving. When Pardew took Benny off v Fulham, he didn’t look injured. They are protecting there investment. I’ll miss Benny more than any other player who has ever left, apart from Andy Cole maybe.

• 79 Jail for Ashley // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Williams,
    The same was said about Tiote last year when he didn’t play running up to Christmas I can’t think of one incident where a player has been prevented from playing for a length of time to protect them from injury,a bit silly to suggest that really.

• 80 BandB // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I think Pardew plays the line-up he does because he thinks its the best one to protect the defence, which has had one reinforcement in two and a half years out of the Championship. That means he feels he has to persist with Jonas, because he doesn’t see Marveaux putting in the slog. A three man midfield of Anita, Tiote, and Cabaye would be a good mix of styles, but I doubt whether we’ll see it, unless we buy first-team ready defenders who settle quickly and no-one leaves in January. Pardew’s priority in the summer was not to see his key players sold. Now some of them have lost value, and Ashley won’t be pleased with that. He won’t blame himself either. Nor will he make a major net investment. It will be one out and two in, as has already been stated.

• 81 tequilamag // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Nick9 agreed they both have a lot to learn.
    Catchy, just trying to get a handle on your logic Catchy. Not always easy. So Pardew gets criticism from you on the basis that he would show favouritism if he was fit… He has been fit most of the season .
    Fair enough, Pardew you are guilty of having bad thoughts.

• 82 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:08 PM

hotdog TS

its all well and good if that new coach gets a say in what is happening,,

john carver was there with SBR , we played decent then, im not saying keep carver or get rid of him

my point is,, how much imput does that person have on team affairs ? pardew seems a very arogant man his way or no way

• 83 Jail for Ashley // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Band B,
    I take it you meant Santon as the defender added and as he was a belated replacement for Jose and not premiership ready you could say that having average RM as our LB despite results weakened the defence,and I think your right about the value of players Pards will be seriously in the dog house if us true that he insisted we keep Tiote whose value has probably plummeted 12M.

• 84 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Catchy….Can’t really comment on Masch tbh, didn’t follow Pardew or West Ham at the time, so will have to be led by others.

Was Benny fit at the beginning of last season? I seem to remember he was out, but could be wrong. Isn’t that why Obertan was starting at first and then didn’t we go on an 11 game unbeaten run? If it’s not broken, don’t fix it. I wont speculate when Benny would have featured if Obertan has stayed fit as it gets us nowhere.

Style of play. How am I wrong? We played a mix of direct long balls and passing / pressing football. I’m not claiming it was beautiful, but well fought football. There was some luck too, but that’s football. I would be happy with last seasons play again, just as I was happy with the overall performance against City.

I have said before I do find his subs frustrating at times, but not always, nor do I think it’s a reason for a change of manager.

Good for the new managers. I applaud them and their style, not sure what more to say. I like it, but don’t think it’s the be all and end all, so would happily return to last seasons style and continue to build, replace the old style players and implement new ideas over time. I am happy with that.

I agree this squad is top 10 material. All day long. Right now we’re off that pace and whilst we’re closer to relegation spots than top half, it’s not by much and a few games either way could tell a different story. I do believe we will finish top 10 with this team and manager this season.

Where is pardew jumping on the QPR bandwagon, sorry, not understanding your point there.

I think you’re taking the x-mas party a step too far. He’s not saying this makes it all better and that is all they need to do, but out of respect, we wont rub fans faces in sh*t, which is frankly what they’ve had to put up with so far this season. We are united and we’re trying to solve the issues. But you feel free to use it as another reason to criticise the man. Can you honestly say if you’d read about the clubs upcoming X-mas party you’d have said, good for them, they all deserve a break?

So, to be clear, are you saying the one and only reason we’re where we are is down to Pardew and not anything else whatsoever?

• 85 tequilamag // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Bandb , agree the priority for Pardew was to keep his best players. Trade off seems to have been no cash for major signings apart from Anita.
    Not expecting lots of signings in the Summer but think it makes sense for Ash to fork out for 2 new defenders. He has a hell pf a lot to lose if we go down.
    If Ba does go, and it is starting to look increasingly likely then we will need a new forward as well.. If that happens we will have to hope Cisse gets his act together because it is a big ask to replace BA. especially for the peanuts we will get for him.

• 86 Munster Mag // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Catchy, I have to say I agree with some of your points and have for weeks, but I’m still willing to give Pardew a go , perhaps incorrectly. I totally agree that some of our players would be attractive to better clubs than ours, and I agree re set pieces and style of football, but I blame Ashlkey for not spending money, and have been shown to be 100% correct in this, a principle I made in the summer despite plenty of abuse from the mini accountants. Crazily, I didnt see that game, but excellent irish journo in Sunday Times said we did well and we would be fine. I do wonder still about what the hell Cisse is doing on the right, and hope we stick with the 4-3-3. I also believe that the scouting / purchasing we have made is somewhat overrated but have always maintained that Anita would work out. One word – Ajax! I dont think a naive manager like Martinez , who cannot teach a team to defend, is the answer either.

• 87 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:16 PM

tequilamag

well think what you like of me

but answer these if you can

jonas,, should he be in the team right now??

BA cisse, should both of them be in the team right now, and should Ba have the right to be the one plying in the middle?

take the man c game,

your going to set an attacking team up to have a go at them,, who is the most attack minded player between these 3
    perch
    jonas
    marv

il think you will find that word Favouritism fits in very well

i fully understand the issues we have at CB or RB, but at right back, tav has not shown us anything to say he is any worse than simpson , simpson has no future at the club, and at times shows no interest on the pitch,, all this stuff with him and that slapper,, where is his mind right now??? Favouritism

• 88 Munster Mag // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Ibiza mate, how are you?

• 89 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM

BandB….Hello, long time no speak. I agree on that assessment on why Pardew is currently defensive minded. I think we’ve seen what Pardew wants to do, some would argue he should just forget about it and go for the attack, do a Keegan. Maybe they’re right or maybe we’d just ship even more goals.

I really want to see these defenders we clearly need coming in and then be able to judge Pardew properly.

I understand there are always excuses that can be used, but these do feel valid to me so I struggle to put all blame at Pardews door at this point.

• 90 terencelim // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM

@catchy No offence to you but I always think discussing football with Ibiza is a waste of time and wisdom. He has been proven wrong in many occasions by the same thing that he disagrees with you- and that is time.

• 91 Williamsonsuks // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM

@JFA Cant say it’s silly when we have an owner like Ashley. He has 4 years left on his contract and i’d say he’s worth 20 mil. Benny may love the club, town, fans, but when he plays, Pardews tactics seems to be, get the ball to Benny. A lot of pressure on 1 man, especially when all his good work is being undone by stumbling, fumbling Williamson/Simpson. Hope i am wrong though.

• 92 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Munster….Spirits raised after the City game, which is saying something after a 1-3 loss!

How about you, all set for Christmas (no party though, we’re all abandoning them until we start winning again)?

• 93 BandB // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Jail

I did mean Santon. I think Pardew was told he could keep his core players, and told that if he could get fifth with that squad, eighth this year wasn’t too much to ask. Ashley seems to have sussed that he hasn’t discovered the secret of turning base metal into gold by speculating on players, and his new MO is on show at Rangers International Football Club, where the game plan won’t rest on buy cheap, sell dear. His investment will be in marketing the brand. I feel sorry for Pardew. He deserved to be backed, and is now the fall guy. I, personally, think he is in the dog house. “Get more with less” is the business mantra from the top everywhere these days, and the price of failure is the chop.

• 94 Transfer Sage // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Catchy

That’s your opinion not a fact that pardew is arrogant.

He may take a lot on board from carver and others but they might not be offering anything useful.

It’s important to not just jump to conclusions on things like that where we have no idea. Not saying you have by the way.

I just hunk it wouldn’t hurt to have a different style of coach involved. At the worst he would be ignored, at best he improves the team.

• 95 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:23 PM

terencelim…I presume I wont get a response, seeing as it’s a waste of time and wisdom, but how have my thoughts on time being proven wrong time and time again?

I thought we would have done better with our current squad this season and had time to get in the any new players – I was wrong.

I’m saying Pardew should be given more time to turn this around – I am neither right or wrong at this point.

Where else have I been proved wrong with issues of time?

• 96 tequilamag // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Catchy Jonas yes
    Ba and Cisse I would prefer a rotation but understand Pardew has limited options which is why your charfe of favouritism does not bear scrutiny.
    What are the alternatives Sammi and Fergie have had good cameos but have struggled when picked to play a full game.
    Marv ? again hit and miss. He can look great or go missing. We can`t afford the luxury of passengers.
    Tav over Simpson ? I would love it if Tav was a better player but the evidence suggests otherwise.
    Pards is not the greatest manager in the world but your attributing every single problem at his door does your arguments no favours.

• 97 BelfastMagpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:28 PM

People ganging up on Ibiza, terrible news.
    ;-)

• 98 BandB // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Hi Ibiza

I foresaw something like this was possible a while ago. But it’s pointless kicking him while he’s down. He looks haggard and lost and very small on that touchline at the moment. Odd to be on something like the same hymn sheet. Hopefully, things will improve and we can get back to bickering.

• 99 Tommyy // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Dannyo – What is there to misunderstand? There would have been a planned Christmas Party evening (irrelevant if some do not celebrate Christmas as they either wouldn’t go or go and not associate with the religious aspect). Pardew has said it is cancelled for everyone on our behalf as fans.
    Obviously i’m not talking a Christmas day scenario, i’m talking probably an evening of sociability where everyone can take their mind from football for a few hours.
    There is no reason It should be cancelled, as I said they aren’t (shouldn’t) be celebrating football, they’re celebrating a national holiday. My original point being it should matter not to the fans as long as the focus remains on their football, therefore Pardew shouldn’t be cancelling it on those grounds if at all.

• 100 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Belfast…I don’t even have my bus to retreat to!

• 101 wreker16 // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Does nobody think Pardew played the ben arfa situation last year well???

I don’t think Ben arfa would be trying as much for us if it wasn’t for how Pardew managed him last season. That’s just me but I think that shows that Pardew can do some good things

• 102 Jail for Ashley // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Band B,
    I was just saying last night that lately I seem to have been given carte blanche in my criticism of Mashley without the usual suspects getting upset and rushing to his defence accusing me of being thick and of being a moron,I wonder why that is……

• 103 check the toastie // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM

If Marv isnt selected this week against QPR at home he is finished at the club.

If Pardew selects Tiote, Perch, Anita and Jonas in Midfield at home against a team that has one win to its name we are in deep shit with him managing our great club.

The ground is desperate to cheer something, anything, it is such a shame the Arabs decided to invest in a shitty club like Man City. Wish someone would bail this club out with Mega millions.

Think Ashley took over with great intentions, however times have changed, we are treading water currently, almost sinking.

• 104 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM

BandB….Well time has passed (probably not the best moment for me to be talking about time) and water is under the bridge. I think we were discussing (or bickering) about my style of posting and use of smileys.

Hopefully we can happily discuss football related issues now, some we’ll agree on some we wont, then we can bicker until the cows come home.

• 105 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Wreker…I think he handled Benny well and we have a better player for it. Not that he was a bad player before, but a more complete player after. That’s my thoughts anyway.

• 106 BelfastMagpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Remember Ibiza is blog police, so if you ever feel like a rant, direct you’re rant at him. :-)

• 107 Jail for Ashley // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Check,
    ”Think Ashley took over with great intentions ”,
    He did and still does unfortunately those great intentions were and are for his tacky retail businees which has gone from strength to strength since his buying of our famous club.

• 108 geordie157 // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM

All I’d change for QPR, Marveaux in for Jonas.

• 109 BandB // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Jail

I think if we are still effing about over a few grand for key signings in the last week of January, everyone will know the man isn’t serious. Cisse hit the ground running. Anita didn’t. Anita always looked a player, and has found his feet with time. A month of fannying about isn’t an option this winter. Time, as Ibiza is fond of saying, will tell.

• 110 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:42 PM

firstly,,

the xmas party

come on man,, listen to yourself,, this is one night out, not a weekend away to tenerife,, an xmas party where the wifes and GF get to go out with them,, i see no harm in that,,
    the QPR ref, is because harry canceld theres a few weeks ago, and i see no reason for pardew to do the same,

HBA was injured, you are right,, but i thnk you will find, he was fit after about game 5 or 6, and obertan was going down hill fast,, getiing booed at of his own fans because he was so poor,
    HBA was telling the french press he was ready,, pardw was saying im working on his game right now??

tell me this, you have a player like HBA messi hazzard, would you play them more defensively, would you hold them back from what there best at doing?? what benifit do you get from HBA being in his own half?? he is the one player in our team right now id keep in the other half no matter what,

and YES

1000% we are there because of pardew, no one else
    swansea team
    west ham team
    southamton team
    reading game
    villa game

all these games we had a good enough side out to win the game

west brom , we won, but were out played on the day and got a lucky goal

everton, we got a point from a bad ref,,

the one comon fact is pardew set the team up to defend a point, not set out to get 3 points

this is sad

• 111 jimmysmith // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Isn’t buying Cisse when you already have Ba, a bit like buying Shilton when you already have Clemence?

• 112 geordie157 // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:45 PM

So which
    Centre back will we sign in Jan?

• 113 Jail for Ashley // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Jimmy,

• 114 Lee Dodd // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I think once we beat QPR we will Start to Push On. Defence is a Problem. Everyone now Pushes up By Williamson and Simpson and Knows were well Suspect There. I would Put ba or Cisse on The Bench and Give Shola A Run out Against QPR. Bigi and Anita In Midfiled . Put Matvaux on the Left and The Ugly French Bloke on The Right Wing !!!!! if we loose against QPR then There has to be Questiona asked Alan old Son !!!!

• 115 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM

tequilamag

i find it very hard to fault any player coming into a poor team,
    saying that kids are hit and miss when these kids should be getting set an example by the older plyers, that is wrong,,

take ferg,, young guy,, is he a left back or left winger?? as a kid im sure you should learn one or the other first,,

bale and bains both started out at left back, now look at them,, it didnt happen over night

• 116 Lee Dodd // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Also Danny Bringing The X Factor Bird To St James is Just a Distraction He is Bad Enough Never Mind Her Beeing There !!!!

• 117 Rotonda heights // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:48 PM

I think a lot of people feel the same way. There is a certain amount of goodwill because we finished 5th, but then Roeder finished 6/7 one year, couldn’t sustain it the next season and we went backwards. Where is he now? I just wish pardew could be more pro and reactive
    or just one! Definition of madness is to keep doing the same thing and expect a different outcome.

Just interesting that laurent blanc and Di Matteo are available right now.

• 118 Rotonda heights // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Ibiza

benny won 5 league titles in France!!

• 119 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Lee Dodd

if the defence is such a problem,, why not adopt the attiude of il score more than them against the poorer teams in the league?
    he chose to go toe to toe with man c with no HBA or CABAYE, why could he not do that against west ham, swansea, southamton villa??? all these games where more than winable?

• 120 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Rotonda heights

good points :)

• 121 jimmysmith // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Anita may have found his feet, albeit tiny little ones, but surely it hasn’t gone unnoticed that his individual form has coincided with the teams overall rubbish form. I’m reserving judgement on him as a Toon player until he plays well in a side that is playing well and winning, despite him obviously being a good player.

• 122 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:55 PM

lee very gooood question

if we lose v QPR,, this has to be the last game pardew is in charge of,

but we all know the excuse right now,, there a good side and its hard to see why there in the bottom 3,, harry has got them organised and there hard to beat,, there on a bit of a roll right now,,

and if im honest, a lot of teams will struggle against them

• 123 Rotonda heights // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM

tequila

the fact is we have lost 7 out of the last 8, so how can they possibly do any worse

• 124 Tommyy // Dec 17, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I certainly wouldn’t want Di Matteo, I think he is vastly overrated. Was extremely lucky to achieve what he did with Chelsea, he also inherited a fantastic team remember. Then his West Brom record was not much different to Pardew’s now i woudn’t have thought, with a similar standard team in the Champ and Prem as ours.
    My choice would be Martinez, if not we should look into a Dutch or Spanish manager with the footballing mindset we want to see. It’s such a shame that English managers are so poor overall.

• 125 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Catchy…..Hadn’t seen that Harry had done the same with QPR, thanks for the info. I’m not saying they shouldn’t be having a party, but that I understand why they’ve called it off to show some goodwill towards the fan. A statement to say we know it’s not going well, we’re serious about dealing with and we’re not giving ourselves any pats on the back or celebrating…we mean business.

Is it a turning point? No, but it is something. It would be interesting to know what the players think about it, I imagine they’d agree, setting an example and letting the fans know they’re serious is more important than getting together for a few x-mas beverages.

What I was saying earlier on about the party is if they had gone ahead with it, I bet a fair few would indeed be b*tch*ng about it. Nothing more, nothing less.

On Benny….We’re guessing as to when he was ready, so let’s leave that bit alone, you think he was, I don’t know and think overall we got a better player out of it.

As to how i’d use him ….He is an attacking player first and foremost. However, he used to give the ball away a fair bit and then just act as if his bit was over, that’s not acceptable. He shouldn’t be a defender, but he should play with and for the team, as all 11 should. If you’re chasing a goal at the end of a game, the GK comes out for a corner – is it his job? No, but he does it for the team. If the team needs Benny to drop back and help he should. I think if we had a stronger defense this wouldn’t be needed as much, which would free him up for his proper role.

• 126 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Tommyy /

i dont like RDM too,, he is pardew’s clone :(

blank
    martinez
    OLE Solksjær
    i even think lee clarke would be better, he likes attacking football
    steve clarke, been very impressed with him
    jol

there are the spanish leagues to look at

we have options,, its not pardew or bust as some seem to think

• 127 Tommyy // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:05 PM

We just need a win against QPR, any less will have everyone in uproar and rightly so in my opinion. If Pardew is going to be outfoxed by a manager who has been there 5 minutes and has the biggest bunch of average mercenaries in the Prem, then questions need to be asked.
    If we win and win deservedly, I’ll look past the next 2 difficult games and be optimistic (with January reinforcements) that we can turn this around and sit comfortably in midtable by the middle of Feb.

• 128 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Rotonda…Was that in response to my comment about Benny becoming a more complete player? Does that mean if a player has won titles he can’t improve?

What about his inclusion with the national team again? Was this just coincidence or was he deemed to be improving?

Not saying it’s all Pardews doing, Benny had to do the work himself, but people are claiming Pardew has held him back and is threatening his progress, which I believe to be incorrect.

• 129 Jail for Ashley // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Rotonda heights,
    You left a comment earlier blaming Pards for picking Willo and Simpson when I’m sure he would like to have the luxury of a bigger pool of talent,also you said why doesn’t Pardew listen to Graham car sign his recommendations and play them as though it were the simplest process in the world,are you suggesting that Pards pays for these him self.

• 130 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Catchy…On managers, my point has been not that there aren’t better managers, but if we replaced Pardew, who would Ashley choose? Would that man be better? We don’t know that whether they would or not. We’re not saying Pardew is the best of the best, but we are saying he’s not the worst of the worst.

Middle ground mate.

• 131 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Apologies. Terrible use of the English language at 130. Hopefully the message is understandable.

• 132 Tommyy // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Not so sure on Pardew molding HBA’s mind so much as it being the Injury he sustained. Of course both were a factor, and I also think he has become a more mature player for it (not necessarily more complete).

• 133 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:15 PM

i dont think there would be many if any fans would complain about the xmas party, like i said this is not a trip for a piss up, this is xmas,, this happens every year,,

on benny like you say leave it, its like benny agaiinst pardew,, one said he was one said he wasnt ,, so who knows

as regards to whether he is now a better player because of it,, i think your mad lol,,

by putting more defensive duties on him your taking away some of his attcking imputis ,

he showed us before pardew got here that he is a team player, he did nothing wrong in those few games under CH, so why do you think pardew changed him,,

this may be cynicle of me to think this,, but i know that i have have said yes your right to my partner just to get my own way, im sure HBA done the same with pardew

did you look at the teams links i gave you,, do you think in any of those games we fielded a weak team ?

• 134 tequilamag // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Catchy I agree it is a big ask for the kids which is why I think Pardew is correct in not picking them to start ganes.
    That is not Pardew playing favourires that is Pardew picking the players best equipped to get a result.
    Rotanda Bordeaux away suggests they can be a lot worse.

• 135 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Ibizatoon – Back by popular demand

i feel we stick with pardew because of stability

• 136 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Tommy….Mature may be a better word.

Catchy….Well, we agree on something else, I know I’m mad, i’d have to be to come on here daily :)

I do think Benny has improved his overall game from when CH was here. Probably down to both the player and manger, after all, players his age should improve.

Do I think he’s become less of an attacking threat? Not really tbh. Benny is deadly from anywhere on the pitch, one of the differences now is teams put 2 players on him which makes it all the more difficult to play his game.

I’ll drop the X-mas party discussion now, I hear what you’re saying and once again we’ll never know, but seeing as he’s currently judged on everything he says or does I do think he’d get grief for having a party…for whatever reason. Fans even complain that Ashley has other business interests and that is why he doesn’t take us seriously, don’t tell me people are completely rational with their criticisms of the higher powers at the club.

I didn’t look at the links, but I know exactly what point you’re making. Those teams, much like the ones of last season, should have done better against the opposition. The performances of those 11 players did not match those of last year though, that will be down to Pardew and the players form this season, which has been pretty pathetic to say the least. When they play like they have been it’s hard not to think they deserve a fair bit of the blame.

• 137 Spreadthetoon // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:36 PM

How shrewd MA, DL & AP are….reckon the cancelling of the chrimbo party coz’ “we justed needed every penny we could to get ‘em players cross the line” – so I am expecting no excuses this transfer window!! HWTL

• 138 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I am just making a cameo for today and I gotta say I agree with the point Catchy is making (not necessarily everything he says), but the point is there for everyone to see even though we have been through this before with no luck what so ever…

Disclaimer: well I am not going to bother, but I probably should! Take care!

• 139 woolerbill // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Par dew can get me on side if he is honest, only pick players on there form, not out of form, but top players. That means a f/b a c/h and winger should be n the bench.

• 140 Ian Toon // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Ruddy – You were scathing of the very existence of the BBC Sports
    Personality programme. In any other than an Olympic year Rory Mcllroy would have won it! It’s an eagerly awaited event( one that I used to be allowed to stay up to watch as a kid). It’s watched now by more people than ever before. It is relevant. Turning to other matters I sense that you feel aggrieved towards me. I don’t bear you any malice whatsoever. Some bloggers bring many and varied skills acquired from the outside world to bear when posting. Many bring the fatuous,
    inane or banal and sometimes all three will be regurgitated. You have the dissembling of whom we can expect nothing that is aesthetically or
    intellectually nourishing. They are the ones with a vested interest and
    excess baggage. You and I have no such problem we can say what we
    honestly think. We are not beholding to anyone and have no piper in the shadows calling the tune. We both have a love of NUFC and a strong desire to see them do well. Turning to you. I believe you to be a
    strong personality who has had to overcome many setbacks in your young life ( I believe we are of similar age) but despite on-going issues you are overcoming. I do feel qualified to make these observations but you are free to believe what you want to believe. I do find you rude on occasions. As you are intelligent and a wordsmith you have little excuse. Just consider Ibiza who despite far more provercation is able to take bloggers off at the knees without them often even noticing. Most people choose to interprate as they want or prefer. This is a longer post than intended but please consider before totally discounting. If nothing else I did say that Bradley Wiggins was going to win. Finally you have no excuse in not looking at the history of the club when Keegan was first a player and then a manager because Solano is right that in the Premier era it was and is the golden era of the club. Also why many older posters have truck with you because you tend to focus only on his last walk out and not when we were termed The Entertainers.

• 141 Rotonda heights // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Jail

As you must be aware I have recently given some ground on my support for ashley and I am sure there are instances where Carr had identified the players and Ashley or Llambias have not sanctioned the moves.

I just think it’s too easy a cop out saying we have to hoof it because we have willo and Simmo. No manager is forced to play that way and they could do something to combat that in training.

I just can’t make out pardew. On the one hand we have all these excellent technical players with Anita being outstanding of late, but then he keeps on about getting carroll back as if we don’t play enough long balls as it is which would render all of those players redundant.

• 142 Jail for Ashley // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Ibiza,
    I’m a bit sceptical on your claim that HBA is an improved player from his time under Hoots,he played something like four games before getting that horrific injury so I’m not sure how you could judge him on those four games especially the one against Everton which was an outstanding display of individual brilliance.

• 143 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Jail…..You are right, four games is not fair to judge him on, but for me his defensive attributes or dealing with his mistakes has improved and his attacking hasn’t worsened, so he seems a better player. His individual brilliance is still there, much like it was there against Everton.

• 144 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM

if any of you pro pardew fans can tell me how any of these teams where not good enough to win the games they played in,,
    i will change my opinion on pardew

its only 5 games,, against IMO weaker teams /squads
    and please bare in mind that we just played much better against man c with the same sort of team and looked ok

1000% we are there because of pardew, no one else
    swansea team
    west ham team
    southamton team
    reading game
    villa game

ibiza ian toon tequila,, you being the biggest pro pardew fans on today,, i would love to hear your thoughts,,

im betting you can not give a reason,,

• 145 beatz // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:05 PM

if we get beat on sat by qpr i say pardew will have to go as yes we played well on sat to man city but going two goals down and shocking defending is unacceptable and yes we are down to the bare bones player wise but he is standing by players that are shocking, guti is terrible and so is simpson as he dusnt want to be here as he wants to go to london. my team against qpr is krul perch,willo,colo fergie,tiote,bigi,sammy marv,ba,santon t

• 146 Jail for Ashley // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Ibiza,
    You are right as well.

• 147 beatz // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM

by the way my formation is 3 4 3 with santon moved further forward.

• 148 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Ibizatoon – Back by popular demand

HBA came with attitude problems, not lack of ability that being defensive or attacking ability,

i find it very hard to think that pardew has had a positive affect on HBA attacking wise, players like him have natural ability, when i feel he has had a negative affect on so many of our good players by insisting they become more defensive

jonas was fine before pardew came
    cababye has gone backwards
    cisse going backwards

we can all se that,, yet you and others seem to think players like perch and obertan are better players because of him

its quite sad the affect pardew is having

• 149 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Jail…What a wonderful world we live in :)

• 150 Munster Mag // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Catchy, I agree with some of the stuff you have said, and you argue it better than many in the pro-Pardew camp. But seriously , OLE Solksjær ? Clarkie/? Ossie Ardiles liked attacking football too you know! As for Martinez, he hasnt managed a big club, turned down the chance with Villa, and is naive – and plenty of media people have said it , not just me!

• 151 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I’ll ask the question. Do Newcastle players rely on Ben arfa` to much ? What I mean is they give the ball to him and sit back and give him his head.
    Just a observation from Saturday’s match the midffield seem to play better as a unit with Perch Tiote and Anita and Jonas in midfield.

• 152 Munster Mag // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM

ompletely agree Ibiza re HBA. Pardew did well there. He is a defensive coach, without doubt ( just like he was a defensive midfielder ) . I’d love to have someone like the Swansea guy, but Ashley ( the best owner we ever had apparently!! ) ballsed up with a 569 year contract. :)

• 153 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Catchy….Benny was good at tracking back when he arrived then? His attitude was a problem, but seems much better now.

I would say his attacking abilities are much the same as when he arrived.

Jonas was good before, but he also was paired with Enrique and they had a great understanding between them. I have seen Jonas try to do some of his older tricks, they just don’t seem to work, is that Pardew, age or a combination of both? I’d guess both.

Cabaye by most accounts has been carrying an injury for most of the season, so let’s see how he does when he gets back.

Cisse is being played out of position, but even at a ST has looked a shadow of last seasons player, form will play a big factor here, as well as being played out of position.

Is Perch not a better player? Obertan is still very much hit and miss, but there have been slight improvements and it does seem to be mainly an issue of confidence.

• 154 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Munster…His default does appear to be defensive, so with missing pieces (i.e. RB and CB), he will more than likely compensate with a defensive team. Is it right or wrong? Clearly debatable. I do object to the idea he will always play long ball, no matter which players he has though. He really would be an idiot to target the players we are if he had no intention of utilising their abilities at some point. I’m trusting common sense, which may be foolish.

And stop exaggerating you negger, it’s only a 508 year contract :)

• 155 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Charlie…Good observation. With Benny in the team, perhaps players aren’t looking for the best move, but a move that involves Benny. Without him there, they had to look for alternatives. I also noticed with Anita he was always looking for the intelligent move, which was refreshing.

I feel if Tiote is allowed to play his game well and then add a fit Cabaye in to the mix, the following attacking line up could be a match for most.

—-Anita—Tiote—Cabaye—-

—HBA—–Cisse/Ba—Marv–

or

——-Anita—Tiote———-

—-HBA—Cabaye—Marv

———–Cisse/Ba———-

• 156 Tsunki // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:27 PM

What’s crimbo got to do with footy? Can’t see the connection although there are some housebreakers down the road who dress in silly red and white uniforms and who only turn up for the occasion once a year.

I don’t care if they have a knees up and get hammered as long as they start beating other teams.

Bah! Humbug!

• 157 beefman13 // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Jail, im full on on another blog at moment, i will be back for you Bonny lad, your card is well marked.

• 158 Jail for Ashley // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Beefman 13,
    The skies have darkened and the earth shakes beneath me.

• 159 Smithy // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I think Benny’s injury is what changed him. Had a lot of time to reflect on his attitude while in recovery. He seemed to be out for himself before but is definitely more a team player now.

• 160 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Ibiza
    Got in one “players aren’t looking for the best move, but a move that involves Benny” your quote.
    Thats why this coming Saturday I would like to see Perch and Tiote as the holding midfielders in front of the back four with Anita and Marvo looking for the ‘intelligent moves’ passes and add a fit Cabaye in in Feb – would look a tasty midfield to me.

• 161 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Charlie…So no Benny? I’d like to think Pardew could work with them to look for the right passes when one of our best, if not the best, player is on the pitch.

Smithy….He obviously had to do it for himself, which he has done. I think Pards and even us fans had something to do with it though.

• 162 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Munster Mag

lee clark yeh i agree,, but i think he is a better option than pardew,

and honestly,, ole is going to be a top manager in england,,
    he has took a team that has not won anything in 101 years, won the league 2 years in a row, hardly spent anything, got them playing good football,, its not like he took a team team that was top,, they finished 11th the season before he took over

Ibizatoon – Back by popular demand

i think you miss the point on these players
    jonas,, IYO he was only good because of jose,,? i tend to think that he could hold his own and that since pardew made him cover more defensivly for raylor he changed his game for the worse

cabaye,, you can say he is /has beeen carrying an injury this season,, but i could say for large parts of last season he was the same player looking poor when playing in that deeper defensiv position, he came back to life when moved up the pitch,

obertan and perch

obertan, not one bit of improvement at all, still runs into blind allies, still can not cross a ball

perch, we could say he has been the same player all the time, put him in defence . i think he is a liability, he is nervous as hell, as a RB he wont go forward, at CB he is scared to tackle,
    DMC he looks good, i dont know what position he played in at forrest, i like that he goes in full blood for tackles,, i think anything other than a 5 yard pass he is out of his depth,, on sat he might as well of not been on the pitch,, i remember 2 balls he played though the defence, he over hit them both, which got me asking why he stayed on the pitch as a DMC he was on a yellow card, tiote wanst, perch was plying higher up then tiote,
    i could not figure that sub out at all

belfast said it may have been because of his 4 yellow he is on, i tend to think he is more likly to get a yellow before xmas so he might as well have stayed on and got it over with sooner

any way ,,

pardew out :D

• 163 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Ibizatoon – Back by popular demand

cisse,,

your def mad lol,, how does a poacher score goals from the right wing???
    thats not form,, thats positioning

also,, can you have a look at those games i posted,, i did the hard work you just have to click on them and look at the 2 team playing that day,, if we had a poorer team i will bow to your better judgment

• 164 BelfastMagpie // Dec 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Ibiza escaped the angry mob alive then?
    F*** sake ! :-)

• 165 catchy in norway // Dec 17, 2012 at 4:05 PM

BelfastMagpie

try voodoo dolls on him,, ithink its the way forward ;)

• 166 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 17, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Ibiza
    I don’t know, i don’t bloody know, I’m unsure – don’t get me wrong he is the most exciting, best player we have (by a mile) with the ball at his feet – but the team as a whole seem to loose the ‘team’
    I would love to see a midfield of
    Tiote, Perch
    Cabaye
    Anita Marvo

or

Tiote, Perch
    Cabaye
    Anita Marvo

I thiunk we have a midfield of defence, tacxkling, closing down – then speed, vision to counter attack/attack at pace along with our full backs overlapping.

Who would be a manager

• 167 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 17, 2012 at 4:13 PM

WHHOOOOPS
    meant to substitute Benni for Marvo

or

Tiote, Perch
    Cabaye
    Anita, Benni

Who would be a manager

• 168 Williamsonsuks // Dec 17, 2012 at 4:30 PM

The QPR game is gonna be a lot tougher than most think, now that greedy cnut Harry is there. Dec/Jan is gonna be a cringe point of the season. Hopefully we will strengthen in the next window. Roll on Feb when we have broke the bank with some record signings…. What? I can dream lol.

• 169 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Catchy….

Jonas…I’m not saying Jose made him the player he was, but their understanding allowed him to be. Since Joses departure, Jonas has had to cover LB more as we either had Raylor who isn’t a LB or a young Italian learning his way. Obviously they needed more help than Jose did.

Cabaye has been carrying an injury this season, that is the truth of it. As for last season, you’re probably right in that he’s better in an advanced role and now Anita is here he should be allowed to move forward, let’s see how Pardew deals with him when he’s back.

Obertan – Okay, you see no improvement, i see a little, but not enough to make it worth arguing over :)

Perch – I agree, in defense I worry. As a CDM he has greatly improved. When he arrived it was always “groan – Perch is being played, god help us”, now it’s not the case. Surely he has improved?

As for him or Tiote being subbed, not too fussed either way, pros and cons to both.

Cisse – I did credit the idea of both form and positioning, but you seem to have conveniently skipped past that point :) Even when he has played at a ST he has looked far from the player of last season. Not saying he’s bad or anything near that, but he does seem off form, even when played in his rightful position. I do agree though, it is pointless playing him on the wing, if you don’t want him up front, bench him. Simple.

I wasn’t being rude by not clicking the links, i do get what you’re saying, on paper we had teams out in all of those games that should have won against the opposition. You think it’s solely down to Pardew, I think some will be tactics / subs (Pardew) and some down to uncommitted performances from the players.

Anyway…Pardew In!

Charlie….Feel free to join me on my fence whenever you want :) I get you. Truth is, this is a good problem, not knowing who to bench….we must have options! Truth is, we need to be mixing it up a bit more than we are, which hasn’t been helped by injuries to some extent. He wont get it right all the time, but he needs to get it right more than we are at present.

Who would be a manager? Catchy?

Belfast…Disappointing, isn’t it? Come on lads, bring me down. Fight the system!

• 170 Pardews Perfect Battleplan // Dec 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM

@ibiza Christ! are you still here peddling your useless optimistic claptrap? we’re gonna get relegated and lose our entire first team. rashly wants us to fail because he hates northerners and he knows the best way to achieve this is by employing cowardly pardew as our manager. end of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 171 Pardews Perfect Battleplan // Dec 17, 2012 at 4:48 PM

ibiza out!!!

• 172 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Dec 17, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Ibiza
    Starting on Saturday

Pardew In!

• 173 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 4:55 PM

PPB….You have succeeded where many men have failed. Hallelujah, I have seen the light!

Ashley out!
    Pardew out!
    Optimism out!

Now, will someone hold me and tell me everything is going to be alright? Oh, it wont be alright?

Okay, I’ll just sit and sob.

• 174 Pardews Perfect Battleplan // Dec 17, 2012 at 4:59 PM

@ibiza. the warm light of truth will warm your heart

• 175 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 5:02 PM

PPB….Warm my heart? You sure about that? :)

Charlie….I think I may have overused “the truth is” there. Going to be accused of being a Pardew clone in a minute – and that wont end well :)

• 176 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 17, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Martoon….My apologies, just noticed your comment earlier, seem to have lost in in the madness, no idea how that happened :)

Agree with what you say, except about the detestable Ibizatoon ;) Hope you’re well.

previous post: This Player Was Tremendous On Saturday