The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Demba Ba Stirs Things Up At Newcastle

9:09 am, Tuesday, December 18th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 56 Comments

When the team is in trouble – and there’s no doubt at all that Newcastle are in trouble, and probably in more trouble than we d like to admit, what you don;t want to hear is players criticizing the style of play of the club or criticizing the manager.

demba ba

Demba Ba – criticizes Newcastle’s style of play

But as things get worse in any situation that starts to happen, and it’s the first sign of the unraveling of a team.

And sadly today Demba Ba has come out and criticized the style of play of Newcastle, and has again said that Arsenal are an attractive side.

The comments were made by Ba on french TV program L’Equipe du Dimanche, and he had this to say about the style of play Newcastle are playing at the moment:

“I’m not happy when the team does not create anything.” “Fans come to see beautiful games with beautiful actions and not long balls from the goalkeeper to the striker.”

However, many supporters are also not happy with the way Newcastle are playing – as they just pump the ball up-field and into the box at most opportunities.

The news is that Demba Ba will only leave for Newcastle in January for Champions league football, and the fact that Arsenal are said to be keen on the striker doesn’t make it any easier for Newcastle fans.

But Demba Ba refused to comment on his future, and he was asked about all the reports that he will be leaving Newcastle next month:

“I’ll do what I have to do in Newcastle and if I have to leave I will move all this stuff out.” “For now, though, it’s not in my mind.” “Next Saturday against QPR, if we make mistakes the fans will become more demanding.” “If we play like we did against City, we should win.”

“Don’t forget it was the champions we played last Saturday.”

Newcastle need to beat QPR this Saturday and another defeat could see the situation at Newcastle become a lot worse very quickly, because if we cannot beat QPR at home – who can we beat.

This thing could all be turned around by Newcastle winning on Saturday and putting in an impressive display – but we think the writing is on the wall that Demba Ba will leave Newcastle next month – and probably early in the month too.

That’s unless Demba Ba fails his medical or teams are put off having to pay high wages for a player who has a dodgy knee.

It Ba leaves next month that would be tragic for the Magpies.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Contracts · Demba Ba · Transfer News and Rumours

56 responses so far ↓

• 1 89Norcal // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Looks like the beginning of the end for Ba and Newcastle.

• 2 eaststandgeordie1982 // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Hes talking to much, if wants away them i wish he would just say so and we can all move on.

• 3 Indian Magpie // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:13 AM

talk sport has us linked with Lucas Biglia

• 4 spitfire_ // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Time to kick the pr!ck out of this club! Talks too much and had a dumb @ss “advisors” aka leeches.

• 5 MacToon // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:16 AM

It certainly could be that Ba’s a gonna this transfer window, Although he shouldn’t be saying such things on L’Equipe du Dimanche it’s difficult to disagree with what he actually says.

• 6 89Norcal // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Kind of a shame IMO. Ba was sort of the face of the new NUFC, and his revelation as a top striker sort of represented the club’s success last season. But it just didn’t work out I guess.

• 7 Indian Magpie // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Torqtoon

He is an argentine player playing for Anderlect. DM by trade. apparently arsenal and Madrid were after him.

I saw him against AC milan at sansiro he was really good. match finished 0-0

• 8 markmac // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Its sad to hear him talking like that, and if he’s not fully commited the get rid…we need team players commited to the cause! and im sure cisse WILL come good if we can create him the chances

• 9 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Well, he’s not wrong, but it does strike as a distasteful approach, but then I’m probably biased. Ed raises a good point about him passing his medical, I can picture the scenario, Ba’s bags all packed, makes the trip and fails his medical. What then?

I’d think he has strong interest, otherwise I wouldn’t expect to hear much from him other than “I don’t deal with these sort of issues”.

Seems as though many will get their wish and that Ba will indeed be leaving.

• 10 Santon03 // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Biglia, 2CB, 1RB or LB, I’m happy. If ba goes, put HBA or Obertan as false#9. Santon can play better as winger switch with Jonas as LB as he doesn’t go forward anymore or play Fergie as LB.

• 11 TorqToon // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Whilst I agree with what Ba is saying – it’s completely unprofessional to do this as publicly as he has ! We have had constant issues with his advisors ever since he signed. In the summer – HBA, Cabaye, Tiote and Krul all came out and said they were 100% committed to the club and weren’t going anywhere – so far Ba hasn’t done us the same justice ! If he did – then minds would be at ease but deep down he (and we!) all know he is more than likely to go elsewhere next month.

• 12 Graeme // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Where’s the problem? Sometimes the truth hurts and what he says is true.

• 13 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Also, if opinion is to be believed, it is somewhat ironic that we played our most attractive non hoofball football with Ba on the left and since he wanted a central role with Cisse we’ve reverted to smack and see.

• 14 TorqToon // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Biglia sounds like a talent to be fair. But do we need another DM. We have Tiote, Anita and Bigi who can all do a very very good job there.

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Another win win situation for Mashley another 7M profit (minus agents fees of course) and Demba Ba ‘s the bad guy for wanting a wage on par with other leading scorers .

• 16 TorqToon // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Spot on Ibiza ! Seems big Demba doesn’t quite see that! Plus his tweets after the Citeh game sparked of goodbye! However cracking words from Cissé ! He’s gonna be a star and come good very soon!

• 17 Santon03 // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Ba’s comment = AP sucks? Even his player said it.

• 18 davybtoon // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Ba is only saying what all the fans have been saying about tactics

• 19 Rotonda heights // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Norcal

A Remy-Cisse-Ben Arfa frontline with Cabaye Anita and Tiote behind

You’re right that what’s I have been looking for for ages.
    Just pray it happens plus Corchia and M’NBiwa or Debuchy and Douglas.

To be fair to Ba our style has been appalling and he has still scored goals in a failing largely hoofball team.

How can you argue with that?. A lot of us are peed off
    at Pardew’s tactics and I’m sure the players must talk.

Also kt89 how is marveaux really bad!!!

• 20 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Torq…What did he say on twitter?

Santon….Maybe, but maybe he was told other areas would be strengthened and they haven’t. It could be a swipe at many things, including the manager, but no he hasn’t said AP sucks, you’re assuming.

• 21 JDdubai // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:31 AM

We’ve lost better players than Ba before, we will replace.

Not to Biglia, we need creativity and pace i attack, never known an attack so 1 paced and devoid of individual ability to beat a man if HBA is injured.

We will be in the bottom 3 by January most likely, time to see who steps up and gets us out of it and which players do a Bassong/Beye and f@ck off….

• 22 Mister Tuff // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Well things now appear to be getting very interesting. If the press reports are correct in that Ba is stating Newcastle are playing the long ball/hoofball – this style of play has recently been denied by Percy Parsnip. So Ba has in effect issued a direct challenge to Percy Parsnips style of play and has therefore criticised the club -in consequence of his utterings.
    The last time this happened (Ba’s advisors spouting off that he would leave) -the matter was swept under the carpet by Percy Parsnip.
    In view of this recent event Percy Parsnip needs to act quickly and suspend Ba – otherwise discontent with spread in the dressing room.
    Has Percy got the character to do what is right? I doubt it.

• 23 spitfire_ // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:32 AM

It’s ridiculous to moan about the tactics after the attractive tactic from the end of last season was throw away only to make you happy… THAT’S INSANE!

• 24 Graeme // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Ibiza, as far as I remember, he didn’t even have a full medical, as such, when he moved to us! His knee is uninsurable and there are clauses in his contract to cover it.

Because we wanted clauses to protect NUFC, so Ba had clauses to protect him – this is the clause that is causing (or should be) sleepless nights for Pardew Co.

I think its fairly obvious he has a desire to be rewarded for his goal scoring achievements after proving his knee is up to the task. The problem lies in what Lambsarse thinks he’s worth and what the League seem to indicate his worth to be!! If we insist on playing cheapskate, we will probably lose him.

• 25 MacToon // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:32 AM

We’ve had a good starting 11 (when fit) but lacked quality in depth for some time now, we need competition for places from better quality in our squad and not just 1 in 1 out unless it’s a fringe player leaving.
    Would be interesting to see if Ober does leave meaning Pardew’s accepted he’s (Ober not Pardew lol) not up to the prem.

• 26 89Norcal // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Rotonda

We’ll have half the France NT in Newcastle at this rate! :)

Can’t say I would complain though.

• 27 Santon03 // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Ibiza

He is not going to say “my manger sucks” publicly. If he criticise the style of football the team play, what else can I assume?

• 28 89Norcal // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I don’t think we should react to this emotionally. It just looks like Ba is playing his hand now that the Remy news has broken, and is voicing his availability to Arsenal and all other interested parties. Just part of the game.

• 29 Indian Magpie // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Pardew Ashley and the lambchop are to be blamed in equal measure

• 30 Rotonda heights // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Norcal

wouldn’t mind a bit! if pardew can’t do it or change the style with new players then we should look at laurent Blanc for a full house!

Ibiza

the irony was not lost on me that we have only gone route 1 since ba moved centrally.

• 31 Santon03 // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I also assume that “Journalists just do their job.” “They know Arsenal need strikers, they know a release clause is inserted in my contract, so they make speculations.” “I don’t really want to comment on that, because there hasn’t been any contact, clearly, but it is true Arsenal are a very attractive club.” Ba wants us to play more like Arsenal.

• 32 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Graeme…I have been extremely vocal about me not wanting Ba to leave anytime soon, for the £3.5m we’re due to get for him and the goals scored by him it is truly insanity. However, the more time goes on and for whatever reason, it looks less likely he will stay.

I have said he deserves more than he is on, but at this point I’m not sure we should be caving to his demands as I am questioning his attitude, maybe incorrectly.

The last player that I can think of whose demands we wouldn’t meet and who scored goals was Nolan. I didn’t mind at the time, but we could certainly use his goals now and I have a sneaking suspicion it could be similar with Ba. Hopefully if he goes, they replace him well, as although I have faith in Cisse, we don’t really have many who chip in and Cisse’s goals alone wont be enough imo.

• 33 TorqToon // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:41 AM

@dembabafoot: I wanna thanks the fans really. I was looking at the stand and think….. what an atmosphere.

Maybe I’m just being cynical.

@CissePapiss: Hi everyone, I know times are hard right now bt I can assure you we r working real hard to get back to our best. Thanks for all the support

@CissePapiss: City was always gonna be a tough game but we tried!! Keep supporting us and am sure we will get back where we belong!! On to the next 1!

You see the difference !!

• 34 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Rotonda…Never knew you were a fan of passing football :)

Santon….As I said, he’s criticising this seasons playing style, he seemed happy enough with it last year, obviously if you think Pardew is completely to blame for that you’d assume he’s referring to Pardew, I don’t 100%, so haven’t taken it that way.

• 35 Santon03 // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I think Ba is giving ultimatum, he wants to play Arsenal brand of football or he goes to Arsenal to get it.

• 36 dcdick // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:43 AM

“Percy Parsnip”……ha, ha brill

Can we have the Pardew back now who won manager of the season last year now please ?

• 37 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Torq…. :) That could be a classic bit of journalism there mate. Could take many things out of that statement.

• 38 WWYCD // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I like Ba, great player for us and has carried us more than once and its hard to argue with what he says here but its not nice reading

Also any other club would have him dropped for this type of interview but we can’t really afford to drop our 1 goal threat…sticky situation when we don’t have players pushing for starts

• 39 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Yo….Either him or Cisse needs to be benched anyway, perfect chance for Pardew to play Cisse alone and put this if he’s left to his own devices theory to the test.

• 40 RonVanDam // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Believe it or not, i agree with BA. We are not west ham – no hoof balls from keeper to striker. Btw Simpson cant cross for shit. His crosses hardly connect and wastes any chance of scoring

I’ve gone back and watched all our games this season and we have improved alot and out style of play is changing esp Santon and “sigh” simpson take the role of wingers in attack with Anita strengthening our midfield in the last 4 games. I truly believe our fortunes will change in the next game or 2

• 41 BigKirky // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I think Cisse has been affected by Ba’s dominance around the club, not just playing out wide, but mentally. I’ve no doubt that if Ba goes Cisse will start scoring again, plus if this Remy deal goes through we could have the great three up front which a lot of us have seen is the most fluid we’ve played.

• 42 Graeme // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Ibiza, obviously the Illustrious Owner and his buttwipe dont seem to share our views lol. Providing it doesnt blow our pay scheme out of the water, he deserves an increase.

Wether a compromise can be reached remains to be seen, but it looks as though the plans are being put in place to cover his departure.

I hope they have the brains to ensure he doesn’t play against us next season – we may come off second best!!!

• 43 89Norcal // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Rotonda

lol yeah I could see that happening, Wenger will probably be fine at Arse, and he’ll have his new toy with Ba.

Ibiza

I have had the same concerns, especially since Cisse DOES look genuinely out of form, and not just in a slump because of position.

Hopefully signing Remy will be enough to keep us afloat goal-wise, until Cisse gets his confidence again as the main striker.

• 44 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Graeme….Well that’s how it appears from out here anyway. I don’t know what’s been said between player, manager, board or agents, who knows maybe Pardew has said to him “look, we need you on the left right now” and Ba has said no, I want to play up top or go, at the end of the day I have to hope the club know what they’re doing, but on the face of it our top scorer for 2 seasons (so far) leaving for £3.5m does make me think over and over what is really going on and my assumption is there is a personality issue going on…somewhere.

Norcal…That’s how I’m seeing Cisse as well. Regardless of his position, when he gets a shot in the box, like at City, you expect him to hit the target at least, he does seem out of form, but that might turn around quickly if left up top?!?

• 45 TorqToon // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Ibiza – possibly mate! :-) But 29 years as a toon fan has madee über cynical ! Ha

• 46 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Torq…..Life has made me cynical, NUFC is just the cherry on the top :)

• 47 TorqToon // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Ibiza – That’s deep man !

• 48 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Dec 18, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Torq….Ha, that’s what I’m all about – deepness. God almighty, it’s coffee time….

• 49 jimiley // Dec 18, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Ba wants 80k a week which is the going rate for a striker who can score 25 plus goals. Ashers will not pay the going rate and the lad is gone. It is all very well having a wage structure but if we want to aspire to be a BIG club, we have to pay when it is necessary. But we are not a big club and we should get used to the idea. We are there with the Swanseas and Stokes of this world. We have two other quality players… HBA and Cabaye. Anybody think they will be around in a year or two?

• 50 Sambo from belgium // Dec 18, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Biglia? maybe, maybe not. Quite a dafty passer / a xabi alonso type, but more agressive. He could provide some creativity from the back… But he’s gonna be 27 in January and a pricetag of 6,5 mil pounds sounds a bit too high for me

• 51 blew // Dec 18, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Ba’s contract was set up for him to move at this time, hence the buy out clause. When he signed he got £2M signing on fee, this time he gets £3.5M plus another probable £2M signing onfee and his high wages. Thats £7.5M without wages , in a year! Why would he want to stay when he gets another £5.5M for moving? The alleged £70K per week the club is offering him is peanuts compared to the vast sum he gets for moving, and he sacrifices £5.5M. he has to move due to the contract he set up. Lambarse agreed with it, fool.

• 52 Bucks mag // Dec 18, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Ba will leave next month. Already resigned to it and moved on

• 53 sula // Dec 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Well already January was very important for the club now it is just EVERYTHING for the club wow what a couple of months we have seen at Newcastle for all of you shouting let him leave have you looked at our goalscorers this season have a look. If we replace him that will be brilliant but you also have to remember we need that new striker to start scoring straight away cause we in a pickle. Do you blame him for wanting bigger things and better football nobody likes HOOTBALL its terrible on the eye and you are always aiming for 2 players COME ON. We were known as the entertainers and we have the quality if only this daft P##ck Pardew would just adopt a new style of football we would see a big change and attract players instead of always having to worry about the losing them everytime the transfer window comes.

• 54 Lee Dodd // Dec 18, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Was Ba at The Liverpool Game were Andy Carroll Felth The Full RATH of the Toon ARmy. Demba Bloody Ba will Get that against QPR if he doesnt Shut The Hell Up. Go On Demba Big Gob ba Go To Arsenal For your Buy Out Clause with Arsen . We will Be better with Remy and Carroll and Cisse up Front. By By Ba BA Now Sod off !!!!

• 55 Lee Dodd // Dec 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM

It Gets bad when He have had to Pull Ranger to The First Team Squad after His Antics over the last 2 years or so.. No With The Ba Thing . We need a Fresh New Look 2 New Strikers 2 New Defenders and 2 New Midfield players. we are still in Europe and have the FA cup to look forward to aswell so not all is lost. if ba is going make him play against brighton and get him cup tied . serve him right .

• 56 toonicle // Dec 18, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Bench Ba for the QPR game and play Cisse up front on his own in a 4-5-1. He’ll put in 1 or 2 against them and regain his goal scoring form just like that. Let Ba leave in January, i’m tired of al the speculation and honestly, he’s a great striker but not irreplaceable.

previous post: Newcastle Close To Loic Remy Deal