Newcastle vs QPR – Match Preview

qpr

If there ever was a crucial game it’s tomorrow against QPR, and Newcastle will go into this home game trying to get their second win in the last 12 games in all competitions, and as far as the league goes try to get all 3 points after losing six of our last seven league games.

And the opponents tomorrow languished at the bottom of the league with only 4 points from their first 13 games until Mark Hughes was fired and Harry Redknapp and his team took over the management at the London club – and in their first four games in charge they have three draws and got their first win of the season last Saturday at home to Fulham – so 6 points from 4 games is not too bad at all.

So Newcastle don’t meet QPR at a particularly good time, since they will be full of confidence from the start they have made under Redknapp, but on the other hand if Newcastle are to get away from the danger of relegation, we have to start winning games, and against mediocre teams at home draws will not be good enough.

Newcastle have lost three of the last four league games at home, broken only by the good 3-0 win over Wigan, although we had help in that game after Wigan were reduced to 10 men after only 12 minutes.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is only too well aware of the dangers of losing too many games, and the kind of losing mentality that builds in players when they lose too many times.

The only way out of this is for our players to dig in and fight like crazy for every ball tomorrow, and play out the full 90 minutes whatever the score may be – and get a win that will help us move up the league table.

Guts and team spirit are very important traits when teams are fighting to get away from the relegation zone – and we hope to see that in droves tomorrow from the Newcastle players.

As far as injuries go, James Perch is a slight doubt with a neck injury – it’s a pain in the neck – so he should be OK tomorrow – and at long last Gabby Obertan is fit from his toe injury, and we think the French U21 International will see some playing time, with Ben Arfa still being out injured with his hamstring problems.

Shola Ameobi is pushing for a first team place to replace Papiss Cisse, but this is the side we think Alan Pardew will start in this crucial game for Newcastle in a 4-3-3 formation:

Krul
Simpson Coloccini Williamson Santon
Tiote Anita Gutierrez
Obertan Ba Cisse
Subs: Elliot Tavernier Bigirimana, Marveaux Ferguson Perch Ameobi (Sh)

Alan Pardew may think it’s too soon to start Gabby on the right of an attacking front three, but we have to go at QPR tomorrow from the very first whistle – and try to score goals to win the game.

Over the last six league games QPR have three draws and a win and 6 points, which is 3 points better than Newcastle, who have one win and five defeats – so it’s time for Newcastle to break out of this terrible losing streak and actually get a win and all three points tomorrow afternoon.

The keys for Newcastle tomorrow are that the defense plays solidly and doesn’t give away soft goals as we’ve done over the last several games – so concentration and solid play are necessary from the back five.

In this game last season Newcastle won 1-0, with a goal from Leon Best and that was Mark Hughes first game in charge of QPR, after Neil Warnock had been sacked – but he didn’t last the year out as QPR manager.

And the last time QPR beat Newcastle was way back in 1995, so we hope that streak of not losing to the London team in 17 years is not broken tomorrow.

Alan Pardew said in his news conference yesterday that the team has enough skill to get past this bad spell, and even if the very worst happens tomorrow and lose again, he still thinks we can start climbing the league table as the season progresses.

We hope the manager is right, but let’s not make it more difficult for ourselves with yet another defeat – let’s get back on the winning track tomorrow – and we need all Newcastle players to step up to the plate against QPR.

Let us know how you think the game will go tomorrow.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against QPR?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Howay The Lads!!

• AlwaysTOON

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:42 PM

No Ranger? :/

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:44 PM

—————Krul————
    Simmo–Willi–Colo–Santon
    —–Anita—Tiote—Guti—–
    Obertan/Marv–Ba/Cisse–Marv/Ba

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Just heard Pards claim that even if we lose tomorrow we are good enough to pull us out of the slump,why he had to mention losing I don’t know…

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

To temper expectations? Hedging his bets? Who knows, preparing for the worst and hoping for the best probably.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Ibiza,
    I believe you but its not a 4-4-2 with Ba and Cisse up top.

• jasper

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Before I get blasted I support my team 100% but so far as the manager goes…
    We play the same players in he same formation (injuries/suspensions allowing) so our opponents know exactly what to expect. Other teams mx it up, why can’t we? They must laugh at us in their preparation meetings.
    When it is obvious that we need to try something different we wait until the 82nd min to sub…..
    We persist in playing some players come what may – Jonas – and don’t recognise that others, such as Marveaux, are the future.
    Too many players can’t pass the ball and work it out of tight corners. So ball retention poor.
    Ba is selfish, persistently, and gets away with it game after game.
    The midfielders never score as they are never in the box (most Nolan goals from <10 yards
    Corners /free kicks hopeless
    Too many low percentage long shots (the big boys almost never shoot from outside the box in open play).
    All issues of coaching and tactics.
    That's why I voted No to AP.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Jail…You’ve lost me. Mine’s not a 4-4-2 with them both up top.

• Graeme

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:59 PM

We know Ba & Cisse are not working together – is he trying to prove it beyond all reasonable doubt??

• magpiedan

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Hey guys new to commenting but this has been my ‘go-to’ blog for ages. Thought that with the situation we’re in I’d start chipping in. I’m confident despite recent weeks, I’ll say 3-1 to us 🙂

• check the toastie

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Will be at the match tomorrow getting behind the lads as normal, but i am sick of the shit Pardew comes out of. He is really starting to annoy the shit out of me, i hope our team can beat QPR despite his cluelessness.

Howey the Lads.

SACK PATSY PARDEW.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Graeme….6-0 A hat-trick for Ba and Cisse…just you wait and see 🙂

Magpiedan….Welcome. I’d take a 3-1 tomorrow, but as I’ve already said, 6-0.

• magpiedan

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Also think Pards will pop up with a 4-3-3 with Gabby in that Ben Arfa position, as he keeps banging on about srtopping the left back (which will probably be Traore) so maybe Ba or Cisse will be missing? Hoping Gutierrez gets injured in his sleep so Sylvain plays too. Wishful thinking…

• Ian Toon

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Check Do you sit in the East Stand?

• toonicle

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Cisse will put in atleast one tomorrow, I have faith in him. Just as long as Pards plays him up the middle.

• magpiedan

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Ibiza – thanks, you’re a bit of a legend round these parts i’ve gathered.

I’ll be much more happy with 6-0, but with Willo and Colo not exactly playing to their abilities right now, I’d be surprised at a shutout. Be great though

• toonicle

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM

MagpieDan- Let’s all hope Guti has some terrible nightmares and falls out of bed hurting his knee ever so slightly so he can’t start!

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:18 PM

dan…Not at all. Seemingly the one with worst social life 🙂

Don’t agree with the guti comment at all. I assume you want Pardew to bench him but feel he wont. The last thing we need is injured players. Saying that, I don’t want Guti playing in an attacking role, it’s not his anymore for me. I have no issues with him in a CDM role though. None at all.

Right then, that social life. Seems it’s not the end of the world so I best think about some dinner.

Night people.

P.S. Check…That a boy.

• magpiedan

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:21 PM

toonicle – yeah exactly, let’s be honest he’s a trier but thats about it. He gets the ball on the wing against the RB and then I think he just closes his eyes and prays that he’ll get the other side of him. Would prefer Marv and Gabby either side or even putting Ferguson there or even at a stretch Santon, in fact get Carver on the flippin right just not Jonas! lol 🙂

• Graeme

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Ibiza – Would love to see your prediction realised – I trust you have placed a small wager, will be worth a fortune!!!

• paddythemagpie

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Think ba should be moved out to the left and play cisse down the middle,either that or drop him.
    His selfishness is holding back the team.
    At the start of the year when cisse was scoring we were winning…this season when ba is scoring we are losing.
    Anywayu hoping for 3 0 win 2mara..clean sheet.
    howtl

• Big Pappa Cissé

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM

If we get beat tomorrow this place is gonna be a war zone although I fully expect we will get the 3 points. On the Ba situation, I don’t blame the guy if he leaves for a champions league team but if he joins QPR or someone like that I will lose all respect for the guy. I would love him to be here at the end of January and I think he is the best goalscorer we have had since Shearer IMO and an all round nice guy, that being said I have prepared myself if he leaves.

I think we could realistically see this team if he goes.

———————–Krul———————-

–Debuchy—Alderwireld—Collocini—Santon–

———–Tiote—————–Anita———–

———————Cabaye———————

——HBA————————-Remy——-

———————-Cisse———————-

In

Alderwireld – 7 mill
    Debuchy – 5 mill
    Remy – 9 mill

Out

Ba 7.5 mill

Total spend 13.5 million which is plausible as Ashley spent the best part of 10 mill for Cisse last January.

• toonicle

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Dan- Lol and Guti seems to fall over more times in 1 game than than he completes passes. I don’t know what happened to the guy but he needs a benching even for just 1 game to recompose himself or something. I’d love tomorrow to see Marv and Gabby on either side of Cisse up front but I think Guti hurting himself is even more likely than that.

• Tsunki

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:41 PM

BPC – if you are pushed for cash for that team spend check with Ketsy – he always seems to have about £35m handy. He can also sell Tiote for £20m. I’m getting that boy to flog my car for me I tell you.

OK, IF and I mean IF Simmo and Santon are told the half way line is their new byline, I would consider Marveaux on for Jonas, I wouldnt mind seeing how Anita, Marv and Obertan interact, but I am afeared it all looks too fragile in upper mid for Pards’ liking.

If Jonas dropped out I would expect to see Perch, no way Alan is going to risk not having 2 cdm types.

• toonicle

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Ibiza- Guti would be fine in a CDM roll, but isn’t that what Tiote and Anita are for? Although Anita can play fine in a CAM role and I’d like to see him there.

• Tsunki

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Toonicle – hmmm a CDM Roll? can you get them at Subway?

• Tsunki

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:49 PM

So after pulling yer chain toonicle, I agree that what has actually happened is Jonas has turned into a hybrid CDM/LB with a bit of the old Guti when the rare chance crops up, but Anita I see having a more advanced role as his performances pick up. His workrate is starting to look terrific, I see him starting to have a big influence on our inevitable revival. Jonas I think is actually being phased out by the way Pardew is shaping the team, and I think after January we will see this more clearly, certainly in the summer.

• Tsunki

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM

BTW wouldnt it be a shock if Debuchy turned up this window ha ha.

Debuchy! etc etc…

• Tsunki

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM

back to my old blog-killing ways…….

• Big Pappa Cissé

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:12 PM

@ Tsunki

Don’t go anywhere, if we get beat tomorrow we might need you to kill the blog 🙂

• jimmysmith

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I predict a desperate, scrappy 2-1 home win with Ba and Cisse each scoring and thus convincing Pards that he was indeed right all along to play Cisse wide and thus purpetuating the sheer horror and misery of it all.

But hey, a wins a win!

• Tsunki

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Jimmysmith – Thats the spirit! Unbridled optimism.

BPC – always vigilant, always on call 24/7. Especially since my apprentice nufc786 seems to have been shirking of late….

• toonicle

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Lol! Role. It’s a role.

• toonicle

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Tsunki- Yeah i’d definately agree. It would be interesting to see Pards flip Guti to LB and put Santon on the left of midfield, not sure how well it would work at all but it’d be fun to see it tried.

• toonLYF

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Blaise Matuidi for PSG looks one hell of a BTB midfielder.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:33 PM

If theres a CB that we should get with a contract running out its hangeland hes a beast

• Tsunki

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Santon is annoying me and impressing me at one and the same time. As a LB he is good when he is good but sometimes as a winger he makes an awful defender ha ha. I am starting to see the merit in switching him and Jonas. But only after we have started winning a bit.

Anyone else not slightly buoyed by he fact that if the mackems lose at southampton they will be in serious bother ha ha, you see there’s always a silver lining 😀

• Tsunki

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM

eastand – lol yeah I thought that it looked like a dad coaching 8-year olds ha ha I even paused the game so my missus could see how giant he looked against his team mates lol.

• check the toastie

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I hope this doesnt happen but experience says we will be given the same old fragmented, unimaginative display to endure,

Simmo with his heavy touch and total lack of courage to get involved in offering for the ball, Gutti misplacing pass after pass, watching the game go past him, Cisse working his knackers off in an area of the pitch he has never seen in his career.

Ba recieving the ball and single mindedly just trying to create a shooting opportunity for himself in the hope that more goals will get hi a move away from the toon.

Please let Marveaux play so he can link with Anita and please let Cisse play through the middle. Stick Jonas full back if he must play. Would actually play 4231 tomorrow.

Krul
    Santon Perch Collo Jonas
    Tiote Anita
    Obertan Ba Marveuax
    Cisse

Santon, Anita and a return to his magic best by Cisse is the only thing that can light up my afternoon, dont want to see Shola on the pitch, his continual use is a recurring nightmare, it has gone on for years. 🙁

• Tsunki

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:40 PM

check – actually like the look of that team. But it wont happen will it?

• eaststandgeordie1982

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Tsunki

Hes just what we need someone at the back who can win headers and a threat in their box aswell, hes proven in the prem and we need a quick fix at the back he can step straight in.