The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew Planning Red Devils Shock – Everything In Order

10:27 am, Monday, December 24th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

With only our second win in the last twelve games in all competitions, now is the time for Newcastle to move forward and try to get some results in our next three games over the holiday period – at Manchester United and Arsenal and at home to Everton – but not one of those games looks an easy one.

shola qpr

Perch congratulates Shola after fantastic strike by Nigerian

Shola Ameobi set St. James’ Park alight with a wonderful strike on 81 minutes to win the crucial game on Saturday against QPR, and he’s likely to start the game at Old Trafford on Wednesday.

This is what Alan Pardew told the local press today:

“It’s a big day for the team – it’s a two or three-day turnaround.” “I’d like to think at Man United on Boxing Day we can produce a shock. We’ll have to wait to see if we can.”

“I might make a couple of changes to freshen it up, but I’ll have to give that some thought with John Carver.” “We have to put a team out there which is diligent, and hopefully does the job.”

“We’ve put ourselves in a position where we can take a big team on – three or four weeks ago we wouldn’t have said that.” “Prior to Stoke, you would have said we might be in trouble, but we’re more solid, and look like we have a game plan.”

“Everything looks in order, but perhaps before then it didn’t.” “We’ll be working towards Man United,” he added. “We’ll be in a lonely hotel, but that’s part of our business.”

Pardew will likely bring in a few players to give some of our other players a rest over the hectic holiday period, and Gabby Obertan and Sylvain Marveaux could also both start, after their good displays as substitutes on Saturday.

It will be important to give Manchester United a game on Wednesday, and the Red Devils will be trying to make up for only getting a 1-1 draw at Swansea yesterday – and now they are only four points clear of Manchester City,  who scored in injury time on Saturday to beat bottom of the league Reading 1-0.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Gabriel Obertan · Newcastle News · Shola Ameobi · Sylvain Marveaux

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 Dannyo // Dec 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM

And by those comments, my bet is on Jonas getting dropped.

• 2 wolfshead@toon // Dec 24, 2012 at 10:31 AM

it would be refreshing to see pards be brave and play form players even if they arent senior squad players

• 3 Cool Hand Luke // Dec 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Maybe he will do the old HBA isnt injured at all switcheroo.. my bet is that Jonas will make way for Marveaux or Gabby and either Cisse or Ba will be replaced by Shola.

• 4 Graeme // Dec 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM

The only shock Pardew will cause at Trafford is by announcing his resignation.

• 5 Transfer Sage // Dec 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Pardew has supported Alex fergusons claims about the incident involving Williams and van persie

• 6 Cool Hand Luke // Dec 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM

He could smooch with Alex Ferguson… that would be a shock…

• 7 Jan Stavik // Dec 24, 2012 at 10:38 AM

With Tiote out I can’t see Jonas being dropped, he’ll rather be brought in to play in the heart of midfield. Bigi is not ready to be blooded at Old Trafford.

• 8 spitfire_ // Dec 24, 2012 at 10:42 AM

The shock will be Jonas on the left wing.

• 9 Robby Bobson // Dec 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM

We’ll need something very special with 3 of our big 5 out.

We need to play marveaux as hes the most intelligent fit player we have and the only one who has the vision and composure to break a team down.

The biggest thing to take from saturday was Krul more often than not rolled the ball out and there werent any hopeless long balls into ba….this changed when ameobi came on.But i wouldnt be suprised if shola started vs man utd and we played hoof ball as thats probably our best route to goal.

And this spat with colo i think has to be about pardew blaming him for rodellegas goal.

• 10 beefman13 // Dec 24, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Ive been crying out for the manager to freshen it up, and he looks like he could do a bit of that on wednesday.

To be honest he should have done it for a home fixture, the lads he brings in are well up against it, on a hiding to nowt at old trafford.

Can we get something there? while watching the QPR game my thoughts were we will get slaughtered, no benny or a fit cabaye or tiote or saylor even, ive got to say my feelings have not changed not one bit.

This is not being negative , it is being realistic, i really cannot see us getting within at least 3/4 goals of them and it could be more, they have all there big guns ready for action, i fear a blitz.

If we both had our best elevens on the park then they are still better but it it would be a much more contested game, i just hope i am terribly wrong, and if i am i will give them every plaudit available no question.

• 11 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Dec 24, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Oba on the wing in palce of Jonas !

Midfield of Anita and Marvaux playing alonside eachother !

Drop BA and play Cisse through the middle !

We can all try and be positive about this but the writing is on the wall . I can see Van Persie bagging three unless Krul can kick the ball up his arse before then !

I fear the worst !

• 12 KrulG4ME // Dec 24, 2012 at 10:59 AM

@1

I sure hope your right.

Krul

Simpson Williamson Collocini Santon

Obertan Perch Anita Bigi Marveux

Cisse

The best team of available players imo

I would start Cisse ahead of Ba purely because i think Ba is away january and he has negative affect on Cisse performances. Guti is just not coming up with the goods this season i feel he is now passed his best. Obertan has tons of pace as does Anita and we will need that for counter attack against manure. 5 man midfield to hopefully cram the center of park and there for stiffel manures movement and creative players. I think we could get a result there if we played this team.

• 13 KrulG4ME // Dec 24, 2012 at 11:04 AM

@ 10

your probably right but it is still 11 v 11 so here I am praying your wrong

• 14 Crawfordladd17 // Dec 24, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Have a feeling we can win, and which means City can close the gap, I dislike City, but hate Man United more.

• 15 toonincheek // Dec 24, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I really don’t think we can start against Man|U with an attacking formation.
    Fight for the ball and contain first – then maybe take a chance later on.

A formation that is too attack-minded will lead to a thrashing and do too much damage to what little confidence we may have.

• 16 check the toastie // Dec 24, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Whats Pardew talking about, i will have to talk to Carver and then pick the team, yep sure Fergy and Wenger ask there coach who played well at the weekend.

Personally it appears to me that whoever trains well durung the week and does as hes told off Carver then he is in the team, hes a geordie you know. If it wasnt for Sir Bobby’s class man management skills the likes of Dyer and especially Bellamy would never have pulled on the shirt.

Pick the best players you Prick, not the lads who would be best crack on a night out..

I imagine the way Carver perceived Ben10 training last year had a big impact on whether he played weekends or not, invariably not early season.

• 17 K T Cat // Dec 24, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I’d love to see Ameobi in place of Cisse. I get the feeling that Cisse is intimidated by Ba and doesn’t play his game. Shola didn’t seem to have that problem.

I’m still mystified with the Anita love here. I rewatched some of the QPR game and then checked the stats and I don’t get it. As soon as Cabaye returns, Anita is going back on the bench. Marveaux in place of Anita would be interesting. Anita has great ball control skills and quickness, but he’s just too small.

As for Jonas, there’s something more afoot than his play. He looks frustrated by what he sees when he’s able to cross the ball into the box. If you look at his stats, he’s not having that bad of a year. He looks exasperated by what’s going on with the strikers.

• 18 Matt // Dec 24, 2012 at 7:44 PM

KT CAT what games have you been watching ? I’d say that Anita’s set plays are a big improvement since he’s started taking them ,and Jonas has been great for us over the years but he no good anymore bench player at best these days

• 19 K T Cat // Dec 24, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Matt, it certainly doesn’t look like I’ve got the right point of view when everyone else seems to be going the other way, but I went back and watched the QPR game in particular and I saw Jonas dominate the left side and Anita make some good moves, but not threaten.

There’s a spot right around 20:00 where Jonas has the ball and he’s got two choices – Ba and Anita. Anita is wide open in the middle of the field, but he goes to Ba and the attack fizzles out. To me, that says Pardew’s plan is to keep feeding Ba the ball and hope he scores. I’d suggest that the Obertan/Ameobi score happened because they didn’t simply feed the ball to Ba, they took matters into their own hands.

Jonas has never been a shooter and he never will be. He’s a very talented jack-of-all-trades and does a great job getting the ball down the side and lobbing it into the box. The biggest difference I see this year is his attitude. He looks like he’s fed up with the whole thing. I can’t believe a guy that ran more distance last year than any other player in the EPL has an inner attitude problem. There’s something else at work.

Here’s a bit from Footy Place’s Man City – Newcastle preview:

“- If one man can always be relied on to give his all for Alan Pardew’s team it’s Jonas Gutierrez. The Argentinian winger was once again top of the Newcastle distance charts against Fulham, running for a hard-earned 6.44 miles.”

That doesn’t sound like a head case or a quitter.

• 20 K T Cat // Dec 24, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I might be wrong on that distance run stat for Jonas. I remember something like that, but I hit submit before I checked it out.

previous post: Newcastle Winger Could Start Against Former Club