The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Ryan Nelson – St. James’ Park Was Like The Alamo

4:42 am, Monday, December 24th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 37 Comments

35 year-old Ryan Nelson has had a great career since joining Blackburn Rovers and Mark Hughes from MLS team DC United in 2005, and he has played for Blackburn, Tottenham and now Queens Park Rangers in the Premier League.

ryan nelson qpr

Ryan Nelson – it was like the Alamo out there

And it seems the New Zealander has fond memories of Newcastle and playing at St. James’ Park,  as he had this to say after the game:

“I love those conditions. I’ve got to admit it was fun out there for most of the match. St James’ Park is one of my favorite places, especially with the rain lashing down and the wind biting. And the crowd is really passionate.”

“Maybe I’m just sentimental but that’s what English football is all about.” “It was like the Alamo at times. I swear I heard the horns and the cavalry coming!”

And after the game Harry Redknapp blasted his overpaid players, and apparently former Chelsea right back José Bosingwa had refused to travel to Newcastle to be on the bench, and he was fined two weeks wages and Harry will likely try to move the player out of the club next month.

And Harry Redknapp – this was his first defeat as QPR manager – was hardly pleased with the 24 times capped Portuguese International, as he explained:

“That’s not a bad amount to earn for two weeks’ work, is it?” “There are players here earning more than anyone was when I was at Tottenham. There are a lot of players earning far too much money for their ability and for what they give to the club.”

QPR are now 10 points behind Newcastle with only 10 points from their 18 league games QPR will have to start picking up some wins shortly, otherwise they will be favorites to take the drop after only two seasons in the Premier League, and millions of pounds spent on the players by majority owner, Malaysian businessman Tony Fernandes.

Newcastle also have to start to get some wins under our belt, so at least we can move away from the relegation zone and we are hoping for up to three new players coming through the door next month – and Yohan Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Steven Taylor being fit in about three weeks time.

That will help the side big time.

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

37 responses so far ↓

• 1 cisse_the_legend // Dec 24, 2012 at 4:44 AM

Muhuhahahaha! Two in a row!

• 2 cisse_the_legend // Dec 24, 2012 at 4:46 AM

Cabaye return slated to mid Feb now :(

• 3 Ben3arfa // Dec 24, 2012 at 4:54 AM

The Pride of New Zealand football, real proud to say this man is the captain of the All Whites.

He would have been a fantastic signing for us when he was in his younger years, such a soldier and leader.

• 4 mattyNUFC // Dec 24, 2012 at 5:29 AM

wait wait wait wait WAIT….. so our manager and our captain had a falling out

is there anything else really tht is left unsaid? something is wrong. something is very, very wrong.

i don’t think i’m reading too much into this because our supreme leader is the one who came out and said that. slowly, he is losing the squad, and that is very, very worrisome.

• 5 89Norcal // Dec 24, 2012 at 5:29 AM

Playing football in the thunderous rain in front of 50,000, i could only dream how much fun that is

• 6 mattyNUFC // Dec 24, 2012 at 5:44 AM

…and of course this probably doesnt have much weight behind it, other than a club CEO mentioning it…

whatever is going on in our dressing room, don’t know how anyone can say it’s good right now. An apparent bust-up between captain and manager that apparently took place on the training ground in front of everyone else. this is accelerating the train crash if you ask me

• 7 Indian Magpie // Dec 24, 2012 at 5:50 AM

Pardew’s Quote
    “I said to Colo before the game, we’re both winners, we’re allowed to fall out.”

Sory Pardew you are not a winner, not by a long shot, you are just a wanna be

• 8 89Norcal // Dec 24, 2012 at 5:53 AM

well we can only infer so much about Colo and Pardew’s argument when we haven’t seen it. We don’t know who was in the wrong or what not, though I’d put my money on Fab just being emotional at our string of poor results.

I think the win staved them off.

• 9 mattyNUFC // Dec 24, 2012 at 5:54 AM

indian

think you’re nitpicking. the facts are there, to me at least. a fall out transpired between our captain and our manager at a very, very bad time and we barely scraped by against the worst team in the league. says it all to me

• 10 Indian Magpie // Dec 24, 2012 at 5:58 AM

Matty I agree,

If you read further his quotes

‘Be our leader, be a captain and make sure they don’t get a sniff of a goal’.

WTF is this, I agree it was a fallout but it was all pards fault.

• 11 89Norcal // Dec 24, 2012 at 6:05 AM

Indian

wtf are you talking about?

• 12 Indian Magpie // Dec 24, 2012 at 6:07 AM

Norcal

What happened?

• 13 Mumbai Mag // Dec 24, 2012 at 6:16 AM

makes you feel good doesn’t it, players & pundits talking about the atmosphere at St James’s.

Jamie Redknapp was also quoted few days back saying- Newcastle is by far the best place to play football. The atmosphere is electric.

I’m glad the crowd havnt been on the player’s backs too much even when things havn’t gone well & long may that continue coz we need them through this difficult phase. HTL!!!

• 14 toonydoonunder // Dec 24, 2012 at 6:36 AM

Indian wtf are you on ,pardew is a wanabe what ?? doesnt 2 manager of the year awards and getting the boys into Europe mean anything to fickle part timers like yourself ! You must have been fairly pissed after the QPR game when Pardew’s sub Shola came on and scored the winner . I tell you what the negative bollocks that spew out of some peoples mouth/fingers on here is a joke ,i would hate to think what this blog would have been like in the late 70′s and early 80′s when giants of the game were around like George Reilly and Tony Cunningham maybe even swapping Frans Pingel for John Robertson.Get over it get behind the team and cheer them on after all this is Newcastle United which means Pardew,Shola and the rest ,lets face it life would be distinctly less entertaining supporting some other shower of shite !!! HWTL PS Win Win on Boxing day for me First child Due and a win at Old Trafford Haway.

• 15 Indian Magpie // Dec 24, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Toony doon under

Listen to yourself.

I do not care who scores as long as we win. But shola is no way near good enough for Newcastle. Waste of a squad Number.

• 16 check the toastie // Dec 24, 2012 at 7:17 AM

agree with everything in this piece.

PARDEW OUT

• 17 cyprus // Dec 24, 2012 at 7:18 AM

I’ve criticized Shola in the past, but what he did was sheer class, so credit where it’s due. I’ve also said he’d make a super sub and I maintain that opinion.
    AP has been making sense lately.

• 18 one Tony Green // Dec 24, 2012 at 7:24 AM

@iToonydownunder the problem mate is that most of the people on this site don’t even go to watch the Toon now never mind the good old days of Shinton, Varadi and Shoulder.
    The atmosphere at St James’ is woeful has been for the last few years only the away matches now have atmosphere.
    @Indian you talk pants, you were slavering on about basketball to some yank the other day.
    Shola a waste of a squad number you bulls knacker. Ask the mackems who they fear playing against.

• 19 Indian Magpie // Dec 24, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Cyprus

I usually agree with you, but i would no have a 22 year old shola in my team.

Yes what he did was class and earned 3 points for NUFC but no way is he good enough, in my opinion anyways

• 20 check the toastie // Dec 24, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Personally on Saturday i did see Collocini being a lot more disciplined, no running around the field like a loony, maybe the skip aint great at taking a bit of criticism, i imagine he may have expressed a few opinions of his own if pushed.

Gotta say although the selection of Simmo and Jonah, made any attacking football at the weekend nigh on impossible, i havent seen Krul (until Shola came on) look to throw the ball out so much. Maybe the penny has dropped a little.

Obviously the long hoof to Shola was Pardews tactical masterstroke, and no doubt we will resort to that at Man Utd and Arsenal. Sad.

SACK PARDEW

• 21 Indian Magpie // Dec 24, 2012 at 7:29 AM

one Tony Green

So what’s your problem. I even talk about cricket. you go on post your bit no one is stopping you.

• 22 check the toastie // Dec 24, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Personally think the atmosphere in the Gallowgate is till OK, considering the shit football that is being served up. This myth that the atmosphere has always been fantastic is exactly that.

20 thousand in with massive spaces in the gallowgate, with folks chanting Sack the Board and lighting fires is my overriding memories of supporting the Toon, atmosphere was great under Keegan, clearly that was because the football was unbelievable.

• 23 one Tony Green // Dec 24, 2012 at 7:36 AM

@ Indian The problem I have is people who make glib comments about Newcastle but don’t go to the match. Bit like people who moan about the government and don’t vote.

• 24 Indian Magpie // Dec 24, 2012 at 7:43 AM

one Tony Green

So by that reckoning even if i talked positive it would still be GLIB.

That applies to everyone and not only me

• 25 one Tony Green // Dec 24, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Indian you obviously don’t go to the match and yes that applies to all these arm chair experts.
    Do you know who Simon the Bus is, Johnny Decker, or John the Badge. (RIP) or Reegan, Decka Thornton, the Big Lamp, Adelphi Pub , LBAB all Geordie legends.
    This is an armchair blog nothing wrong with that just don’t make out you follow the team.

• 26 Ian Toon // Dec 24, 2012 at 7:57 AM

mattyNUFC

• 27 valle // Dec 24, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Allot of shite talked on both sides of this argument… Pardew is going through some rough times, but they are not all of his making, and altho i dont agree with everything he does he is the best da*m manager we can get, anyone who wants him out are as stupid as they are fickle… Those who are talking about going to matches as the cretia for having an opinion on NUFC are dinosaurs who would run this club to the ground if they were in charge, wtf are you on about? So your not proud that this great club has fans from all over the world? You think that because some people dont have the luxury to go to the matches that their opinions matter less than yours? You want a medal because you remember “Billy the blanket” or “Buster the bucket” from 1963 and that suddenly makes you more right than everyone else?… Supporting the club is more than roaring the players on on a saturday afternoon, its embracing the fact that this club is worldwide and being proud of that as well… Rants on x-mas morning, oh well, another day on a NUFC blog.

• 28 Ian Toon // Dec 24, 2012 at 8:08 AM

matty NUFC@ 4 Pardew got a captains performance out of Coloccini and the team got 3 points, Job done. Rejoice! Rejoice!

• 29 TorqToon // Dec 24, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Lads stop biting at Indian & Check !!!

Everybody is entitled to their opinion but some just enjoy trying to take over the blog and posting useless uniformed crap is some people’s best way of doing that.

I for one think Shola is a top lad ! He is loyal and one of the hardest working players we have. For somebody who is a “waste of a squad number” he won us 3 points on Saturday! QPR are by far the worst team in the league and we did NOT struggle to get by them! We were all over them from start to finish and were never under the cosh ! Let them rant and don’t respond. Hopefully they will get bored and find some other club to bitch about.

• 30 Tommyy // Dec 24, 2012 at 8:53 AM

One Tony Green – That’s how Hitler started out. You have absolutely no grounds on which to say that those who don’t go to the match can’t have their say – even if it isn’t as accurate as you may think.
    This blog is written from America, it is a perfect outlet for those who cannot get to games to talk NUFC. Not everyone here has the pleasure of strolling down to their local and chatting all things Newcastle.
    I suggest you get off your high horse, if you want a discussion with those who only go to the matches then discuss things at the match. This blog is the only retreat for those who are not fortunate enough to attend, or even live in England (regarding NUFC).

• 31 Indian Magpie // Dec 24, 2012 at 8:54 AM

If Going to the match is the only Criteria. Then why do PL clubs get millions from TV MONEY.

• 32 catchy in norway // Dec 24, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I find it strange that Pardew would come out and say he had an argument with colo

I think it went something like this

Colo – gaffa why we playing such defensive football, we are inviting pressure on us and you know I have Wilo next to me

Pards- hey you curly haird muppet , I’m a winner , I got manager of the year, I know what doing , if you don’t shut up jonas will ge t your job too,

Colo – but boss , these shit teams keep turning up at our ground like lambs to the slaughter and I think if we attacked them a bit more we might score a few goals,

Pards – colo my dear son , you have so much to learn, your young , 1 goal is all you need, and if you do you job right that’s all we should need

Colo- boss I used to feel like a winner , you keep telling me I’m a winner , but losing these games makes me feel like a loser ,

Pards- the trick is to tell yourself you win whaaallaaa your a winner.

Colo – you sure boss,?

Pards- yes , trust me, ferguson rates me, so I must be right

Do as I say and we are both winners

• 33 BigKirky // Dec 24, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Just because people don’t go to games for whatever reason, doesn’t mean they’re any less of a fan and is harsh to look down on the fans who can’t go.

I’ve had a season ticket for 19 years, but if I’d emigrated which nearly happened a few years ago then I too wouldn’t be able to attend, but I’d use ways such as this blog to keep updated. Similarly if I couldn’t afford the ticket I wouldn’t be able to go, or due to work schedules it just wouldn’t be possible.

All the people in the ground aren’t the be all and end all either. I see many people leaving before the game ends and that’s even if we’re winning! It was only in recent weeks when we were losing and there was a flood leaving their seats. What a disgrace I thought, the match hasn’t ended. We scored right at the end and I thought, I’m glad all the people who have got up and left have missed that because they didn’t have the passion to stay to the end to support their team, no matter what the score is.

There will be people on this blog who are unable to go for various reasons, but would still stay and support the club at the end unlike the droves who I saw, and regularly see leaving. Those people are more than likely the same people who could afford a season ticket when we are in the Premier League or doing well, but not in the Championship.

Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone and I’m looking forward to the next game.

• 34 Dannyo // Dec 24, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder
    Shola Ameobi won’t play for Nigeria in the African Cup of Nations after consultation with #nufc

• 35 KrulG4ME // Dec 24, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I cannot believe people are calling for pardews head lets not forget where he led us to last season 5th in the premier league and a europa league place. Yeah we are under performing and 14th in the league but we are not half way through the season just yet and have been unlucky with injuries and suspensions to key players. I feel the lack of backing in the summer transfer window is the real issue if we had signed another cb another forward/winger and another rb, and they had been as good as anita has turned out we would of missed the injured and suspended players less and would more than likely have been in a much improved premier league position. The manager is not to blame the board is, and with a bit of luck mistakes will be rectified in january pardew will be backed and the players we need will be signed. Competetion for places is the key to players playing to their potential. I can see vast improvements in the squad players of last season already (Obertan, marveuex obvious choices) and a bigger more competetive squad will see the Mighty Toon push up the table and hopefully push on in europe. One final thing Cisse is our future for seasons to come Ba and the circus surrounding his contract situation have to be moved on. They do not work well together and imo, Cisse if played in the correct position and provided the service required is better than Ba and would get us 25 goals a season.

• 36 Lee Dodd // Dec 24, 2012 at 10:05 AM

I think Demba Ba is Of to London. Remy is On His way . Colo Fell out with Pardew as He said we Need More Players and Not To Get Rid of Ba. We will Be ok But Need to Stop The Long Ball and Get Passing Like Last Season. We will get nowt at Arsenal or Man U . Everton will be a Draw. Steven Taylor Should be Back Early Jan so we can Bench Williamson. Debouchy will Come so Simpson can go to Fulham . We will Be Fine… BA looks as if he is just stiring things up so get Rid and Get Andy Carroll and Remy . Waiting for a slagging off on this one Lads !!!! lets here it !!!!

• 37 toonydoonunder // Dec 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Indian if Shola wasnt fit for a squad number how come he has played under 10 managers over the years i presume all of those managers knew nowt about football and football players .And yes i do listen to myself every time i wonder what the fcku im doing being a toon fan but then i ‘ve been doing that every year since the mid 70′s and i couldnt and wouldnt have it any other way .We live in hope and after seeing some of the absolute dross that has been served up in the last few decades i’m not about to jump up and down and be so fckuing negative about a manager or players, especially about a player that has been and is so loyal to the toon in a era that is swamped with football mercenaries .So maybe you Indian are the one who needs to find a mirror and have a word with yourself fella .

previous post: Alan Pardew Explains His Falling Out With Fab Coloccini