The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Coloccini Criticized Newcastle’s Playing Style In Dressing Room

9:31 am, Tuesday, December 25th, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

It’s coming to light exactly what the spat was between Alan Pardew and his captain Fabricio Coloccini – and it seems to have started when the captain openly criticized Newcastle’s current playing style of those long high balls forward – and he made the comments in the dressing room in front of the other players before the Manchester City game.

fab coloccini anderson 2-1 defeat Old trafford

Colo in action at Old Trafford in late September

And only last week it was Demba Ba who said he didn’t like the current way Newcastle were playing their football, and fans haven’t been too happy either.

But hopefully this all has been cleared up after a second win in the last four league games on Saturday against QPR.

And when the comments were made by Colo, there was an argument between the captain and the manager, which would not have been good in front of the rest of the players.

This is some of what Alan said yesterday about the altercation:

“I just said to him before we walked out on the pitch – ‘look, we are both winners, we are allowed to fall out’.” “We fell out last week and we’re entitled to do that, as the captain and the manager. It was just a silly little thing and I
“You fall out with players all the time as a manager, because if not you’re not doing your job,” reasoned Pardew, who was booed by the fans when he took Papiss Cissé off to introduce Ameobi.

“Sometimes I have to say what I think is right.” “Even your most senior players can disagree with that. I have no problem with that. In any walk of life you have to be a man sometimes and admit when you’re wrong and also pay your respects when someone does something very right, and I thought Colo was absolutely brilliant on Saturday.

“He was never off my Christmas card list because it wasn’t me who had the problem. Colo was a bit upset. It was a very little thing – if it was more serious I would say so.”

With Malcolm Macdonald’s recent comments that the team spirit at Newcastle has gone, we would love to see some fighting performances from Newcastle in the next three games at Old Trafford, the Emirates and at home to Everton.

Certainly the lads stayed together on Saturday afternoon, and although it was just an awful game to watch, it was nevertheless a great victory that we needed badly, and it was made possible by a simply brilliant goal from Shola Ameobi, who could start the game at Old Trafford tomorrow.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Fabricio Coloccini · Newcastle News

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 Oleg G // Dec 25, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I really don’t understand how after all of this, AP is still using this high long no where near the target passing style.
    Use the middle, use the ground. The fastest way from point A to B is a straight line. Not by air.

• 2 Dennis Twice // Dec 25, 2012 at 9:42 AM

1.st?

• 3 Dennis Twice // Dec 25, 2012 at 9:43 AM

no, now i feel so bad

• 4 Indian Magpie // Dec 25, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Alan Pardew is not a Winner Ed,.

He is a winer

• 5 ginkoh // Dec 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM

We can’t deny we are hopeless hoof ball team in the first half of season and player know that.

I don’t know what’s Pardew said or plan to the team but all we need is clear the air and move on.

• 6 rotherschild // Dec 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Merry Xmas to Ed and all our NUFC fans. The person shown on the mature dating site Ad scares the living daylights out of me. I cannot decide the gender. Maybe it’s a Mackem?

• 7 Dennis Twice // Dec 25, 2012 at 9:48 AM

He s winter man

• 8 Oleg G // Dec 25, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Are the news about Wesley Sneijder are true? Going to Spurs?

• 9 Cool Hand Luke // Dec 25, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Hold on a second, from where has in come to light that this was the reason for the fallout? The only quotes I see are from Pardew and i think its safe to assume that the long balls may have been part of the arguement but without a valid source we cant undermine the manager by saying his playing style has been criticized.

• 10 Minato // Dec 25, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Whether it was the base of the argument or not, still think it needed to be said. It was not locality that made me a supporter of this club (I’m a Londoner) but the way we would always play the game. Might sound crazy but I would rather see us playing the ball on the ground, trying our utmost to be creative and get hammered than play hoof ball all game and lose by a single goal. Its not losing that bothers me, its tuning in every week to watch 90 minutes of us creating nothing. If it wasn’t said by our captain then maybe it should have been.

All of us are equally frustrated seeing the way we played the game last season to what we are doing now. If you play the right way the results will come. Just to repeat a lot of what has already been said, I really hope we bring Remy in…hope to be seeing this team by the end of January/ start of feb

Krul

Simmo Colo NCB Santon

Cabaye Tiote Anita

Ben Arfa Cisse Remy

• 11 Kyo // Dec 25, 2012 at 11:21 AM

What a crap and misleading article. Typical Ed.

• 12 Cool Hand Luke // Dec 25, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Minato, I completely agree, and it does have to be said, but I dont agree with putting words in Colo’s mouth. Why Pardew thought it was a good idea to make the row public in the first place is beyond me to be honest.

This article wouldnt be out of place in a tabloid paper.

• 13 obatoyou // Dec 25, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Personally I’m a loser so I wouldn’t know if pardew is a winner or not, though I’ll be more inclined to agree when he beats man u tomorrow

• 14 Sav // Dec 25, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I thought Pardew’s first dictum when he arrived was that the side had to keep possession of the ball better and not give it away cheaply. Now its long ball. I don’t understand it either, Colo.

• 15 JamesP32 // Dec 25, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I’m just so glad that the players are aware of how his tactics of “hoof ball” doesn’t work 99% of the time.

• 16 Levi // Dec 25, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Alan pardew is the manager and if any players have a problem with that then they can go. Managers pick the team and spend time on a game plan and if it doesn’t work the managers get the stick. I for one love to see managers tell the senior players who is boss

• 17 Premiership Manager // Dec 25, 2012 at 4:00 PM

If the team captain has directly critisized the managers style of play infront of the other players, it has certainly been discussed in the dressing room and is a matter of discontent among the players.

If you look at the promises made to both players and fans during the transfer window, (we will re-enforce and buy players where required to cater for Europe and an improved league position), given the results to date, the poor progress in the league and the discontent and anomosity in the dressing room will have been brewing since September and will have gotten worse after every defeat.

I’m bracing myself for several players leaving within the next few weeks and I can honestly say that I have no faith in the board or manager to stem the flow or bring in suitable replacements.

I’d like to say we will be safe but if we get 3 points from the next 9 I’ll be very happy.

Merry Xmas

• 18 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Dec 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM

If i have to react to a story such as this one?

Well i would say that Collo has just expreseed the same thoughts that 95% of the Geordie Nation already thinks!

Pardew, of course just does,nt like being told that he,s wrong!

• 19 chuck // Dec 25, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Pardew unfortunately is limited as a tactician, he has always played a direct style and it’s doubtfull if he knows any other.
    Yes he may change to from a 4-4-2 to a 4-3-3 or even oher line ups, but we always end up with hoofball.
    Time to hire a real manager.
    Hell Ashley , the players are telling him they dont want to play his game, get him outta here before everyone wants out .

• 20 Brutooon // Dec 26, 2012 at 12:17 AM

i say this a million time, the reason we are close to relegation is because of our LONG BALL TACTICS. Injuries are expected to happen since we got that extra Europe games.

Look at Swansea and West Brom, head to head our players are better than them but they play SIMPLE GROUND BALL tactics which make them hard to beat.

Look at Routledge, from an average championship player and now a good premierleague winger.

Plus apart from Shola Ameobi,both Demba Ba and Cisse are not GOOD in holding the ball

previous post: Obertan Explains What His Toe Injury Was All About