The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Young Magpie In First Team Squad For The First Time

8:59 am, Friday, December 28th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 26 Comments

Remie Streete traveled with the first team for the very first time for the game at Old Trafford on Wednesday and the 18 year-old is being brough quickly though the ranks, and along with 17 year-old Adam Campbell they are two really promising teenagers Newcastle have on the books at the moment.

remie streete training

Remie Streete – training at Benton

Remie has just recovered form a long term ankle injury after he was stretchered off in a Reserve game against Sunderland back in March, and he still has to play for Newcastle u21 (Reserves) side this season.

He returned to full training about four weeks ago, and the 6’2″ tall strong central defender had this to say on the Newcastle web-site yesterday:

“We were just finishing training on Monday afternoon and JC (John Carver) came over and said ‘you’re involved in the squad, you’re training on Christmas day.’” “So I was more than happy to come in.”

“I was just happy to be travelling down – anything else was a bonus. I got to warm up and then got to watch the game as well so that was a bonus and hopefully I can keep working hard in the Reserves and make it a regular thing.”

“It’s not too dissimilar to going away with the Reserves; you get your preparation right, there’s set times for the meals and no-one’s late, and the aim is to try and come and get a result but unfortunately we couldn’t, although I thought we were fantastic.”

“Me and Adam Campbell were travelling and we knew it was going to between me and him who missed out on the squad and obviously it was me, but I don’t mind. It was my first time – he’s been away a few times – but I was more than happy for him to be on the bench this time.”

“I’ve had a good three or four weeks of training under my belt now. I was disappointed to miss out on the Reserve game at Southampton the other night but I’m just glad to have got a couple of weeks of training under my belt and be back fit.” “Before I was fit it was one of the worst times I’ve had.”

“I was just coming in every day, running and doing everything I could to get back fit. And I’m just glad to be back fit now and hopefully playing some games in the New Year.” “I’ve trained a little bit with the Reserves, a little bit with the first-team, so I just want to keep training as hard as I can and get as many minutes under my belt as possible and get back to where I was before.”

There are great things expected of this youngster, and maybe he will make his first team debut for Newcastle before the end of the season – we’ll have to wait and see on that one.

And we even thought that Adam Campbell may have had a run-out at Old Trafford since one of the things the Red Devils are not good at – is defending against quick skillful players – which is exactly what Adam Campbell is.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth · Remie Streete

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 Dannyo // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:00 AM

This lad is pretty well built and large for his age, would give Lukaku a run for his money.

• 2 bambams // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Too early for this fella, he is not the tallest so hopefully has pace to burn

still don’t think it would be a good idea to play him whilst we are under a bit of pressure imo

• 3 bambams // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I genuinely do not believe he is that tall, seen him a few times at local supermarket and he is not 6 ft 2
    might be touching 6 ft but did not appear to be as tall as I am.

Might be wrong but he is a stocky lad so will be no push over.

Just does not appear to be that tall

• 4 Dannyo // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:06 AM

@WWYCD
    All of our signings have/are coming through for us atm, outside a few, and with Romain being such a gamble due to his age, there must be something there to be capitalised on.
    He’s shown flashes in the EL and pre-season, so i think there is something there to build on.

• 5 eaststandgeordie1982 // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:08 AM

If your good enough your old enough, this could be a crazy idea but play a CB at CB, shearer was only 17 and banged a hattrick against one of the best CB in the country, how is 6″2 not tall enough??? Give this lad a shot he cant do any worse than willo saylor got his first start at 18.

• 6 Dannyo // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:09 AM

@bambams
    I’ve tried to search for his height before, but could not find any hard info, but i belive he’s currently touching 6ft.
    He’s also recently just turned 18, and has a couple of years to grow on, maybe.
    But as you say, i doubt he’ll be a pushover and he’s of the good old tackling kind.

• 7 check the toastie // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Fingers crossed Simmo doesnt play tomorrow, and hope he gets his big move to the championship in January.

• 8 WWYCD // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Dannyo
    Maybe right mate but I don’t see where he fits into our team tbh Marv is a better player, more experienced and better pedigree and he is struggling to fit in to our squad
    Romain could be like McClean was for Sunderland last season but as I said I’d be surprised

• 9 check the toastie // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Saylor played Right Back for the first team when he started, maybe if this kid has some pace then throw him in there, personally would put Tav in Right Back as i think he has talent.

Obviously Pardumb doesnt, even though he offers more than Simpleson in every aspect of play…. hmmmmmmfffff

• 10 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Would be keen to see this lad get a run out before the end of the season, but hopefully it will be when we want to play him, and not because we have to chuck him in as we failed to bring in a defender next month. Arsenal will be too early for him, although I think Perch struggles when he plays centre back. No real options available though.

Would also be looking at giving Campbell more minutes next month, especially if Shola or Ba leaves and there isn’t a replacement brought in before hand, or immediately after.

On a side note, Ashley may not be the worlds greatest, but spare a thought for Rovers fans and Leon Best, who have to put up with the Venkys!

“MacDonald could be placed in charge at Rovers alongside Judan Ali – who has been involved in a Bollywood football movie and was assistant manager of a London Sunday league side three years ago.” (The Independent)

• 11 Dannyo // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:14 AM

@WWYCD
    I’m not saying he’ll feature regularly, our bench will (hopefully) be too strong for that this season.
    I’m just saying i think the lad will come through and he’ll get a few PL matches before the season has ended.
    AP is one for rewarding hard work and unless there’s attitude issues, i think it’ll happen for him.

• 12 eaststandgeordie1982 // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Check

And he got sent off lol

• 13 bambams // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:16 AM

@Dannyo
    fella I was fully expecting abuse after reading he was 6’2″ on the blog me stating he was not that tall. Like I say I may be wrong as I did not go stand next to him but just did not look as tall as is suggested.
    On a funny side the last time I saw him was a couple of weeks ago when we had that snow and the lad was wearing flip flops !

Would not fancy a clout of him mind !

• 14 hotdog // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Eastend- spot on. I can’t see him doing any worse that what we have there. Having said that he will need games before he gets his chance in PL as he has been out a while.

• 15 Dannyo // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:17 AM

@check
    So u say put out an inexperienced RB away to Arsenal, one who has struggled with his positioning before against players like Ox and Walcott.
    Simmo atleast knows how to defend despite being crap going forward.

Smart man you.
    Check for President!

• 16 Dannyo // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM

@bambams
    Haha, flip flops.
    *Insert Chuck Norris type joke here*

• 17 Indian Magpie // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Not Good

• 18 Dannyo // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:20 AM

HERE WE GO!!

• 19 WWYCD // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Dannyo
    I’d say FA cup is his best chance but even then we will most likely go out early on. He might come good though I don’t know enough about him to really have a opinion am just not putting any money on the lad

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Reading between the lines this is the extra defender we’ve waited four windows for.

• 21 Dannyo // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:23 AM

@WWYCD
    Probably a wise decision to keep the money in your pocket if one knows little :P

@Jail
    He needed to get out puberty first mate, lol.

• 22 WWYCD // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Dannyo
    If I did that I’d never spend a penny mate haha

• 23 bambams // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:25 AM

@Dannyo
    few clubs interested in Remy ( from Reading link from San) then, bidding war that I am not hopefull of winning.

I don’t think Ba will go in this window, more likely in the summer after hearing Pards.

Got to bring in defensive cover though.

• 24 check the toastie // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Dannyo – yep why dont we keep on playing the same right back that has been so shit numerous times and so out of his depth on hundreds of occasions, but yep good idea keep on playing him there,

Simmo is not a good defender, all he does is stay disciplined and mark an area of the pitch, once attacked off any winger he backs off so far and then allows a cross to come in, he is flat footed, never offers and one step behind the rest of the team mentally, even Willo thinks quicker than him, you are watching a different player to me, if you actually watch at all.

Tavernier already is a step up on the clown, he is inexperienced as Pardunb is so stubborn in dropping established first team players. Jonas is evidence of this.

Is there a need to get personel as i differ in opinion, or are you trying to rally support as your argument is flawed and lacks substance. Sure someone will come to your aid, wonder who it will be.

• 25 lloydie780 // Dec 28, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Dannyo-i agree with you Chekthetoastie is clueless ignore him. He reckons Tav who will be a solid league one/championship right back should play instead of Simmo who is a good championship/poor premier league right back. utter clown. I do agree with him that Simmo has alot of faults etc but he should be our regular right back until we get better. Will is sh**e full stop

• 26 Lilongwe Geordie // Dec 28, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Statistically Simpson was one of the best full backs in the league last year, and again this year. Granted, he makes some howlers and his distribution is poor when getting into attacking positions, but Tavernier made similar mistakes in EL, so how does that benefit us. If we manage to sign a Right back this window, (here’s hoping) then Tav needs to go to a top half Champ side on loan to help him.

previous post: It’s Called Favoritism In The Premier League