The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew Wants Player Of Mathieu Debuchy’s Stature

10:07 am, Tuesday, January 1st, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 38 Comments

It seems almost certain that Newcastle will make their first signing of the January transfer window later this week, when Mathieu Debuchy flies into Newcastle to have a medical and sign along the dotted line, and it will be win-win situation, since Mathieu was desperate to join Newcastle in the summer,  but his club Lille kept moving the goal posts as far as his transfer fee was concerned.

mathieu debuchy close-up

Mathieu Debuchy – on his way to Newcastle

But the news is that both clubs have agreed a fee of around £5M for the 12 time capped French international right back – and he should help shore up the Magpies’ ailing defense through the rest of the season.

And it will be a timely acquisition for Newcastle, after Danny Simpson broke his toe in the first half at the Emirates on Saturday – and he will be out for up to four weeks.

This is what Alan Pardew said about getting a player of Debuchy’s quality through the door:

“A player of his quality and stature will boost everybody: our senior players, our staff, everybody. I hope we do bring in a player of that stature.”

Newcastle also need to bring in a center-back and a striker this month – and that’s independent of whether Demba Ba leaves the club or not.

Newcastle have been linked with West Ham’s 23 year old defender James Tomkins today, and also with 21 year-old French U21 center-back Nicolas Isimat-Mirin, who plays for Valenciennes in the French League.

It will be great to get Mathieu Debuchy through the door later this week – and he’ll be at the game tomorrow night against Everton – and hopefully we can secure all 3 points tomorrow night at St. James’ Park.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at

Tags: Mathieu Debuchy · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

38 responses so far ↓

• 1 darrenfletcher88 // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:11 AM

We need at least 3 off his stature

• 2 archaeomag // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:11 AM

He’ll fit right in – he’s got hard tackerling hair

• 3 Jayden // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Debs, Remy and Mirin + Sissoko on a pre-contract would do me just fine.

• 4 Tsunki // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM

howdy doo lads n lasses whats the state of play morning one? Cacapa’s terms nailed yet?

• 5 TorqToon // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Jayden – agreed. And should be lose any more (Tiote etc) we replace them. Diame at £3.5mil is a snip.

• 6 toon smart // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:23 AM

re-post from last post

My guesses for the transfer window are:

A cheap CB from a mid-table european club, probably in the age range of 21-25. This could be –
    Willy Boly
    Virgil van Dijk
    Jeffrey Gouweleeuw
    Erik Pieters

Don’t think we will be able to get players like Douglas, Sakho, Alderweireld or Mbwia. Each of these players are playing for a club that is competing at the top of their respective leagues or/and thinks they will get a better deal in the summer.

Attacking wise, i think it all depends on whether Ba leaves or not. If Ba stays, i don’t think they will be any other incomings. If he leaves then, i would guess the following:

Loic Remy – Could be bought for a smallish outlay if you take into account the money from the Ba transfer.
    Miralem Sulejmani – Ajax want to sell, player wants to leave, 6 months left on, can play on the left, right or as secondary striker as part of a front 3.

So in summary, i think Debuchy should be in soon (hopefully before the Everton game) and then it will be 1 other defender. Any other changes will depend on the Ba situation.

• 7 Toonboy12 // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Nice to have a new quality defender considering we have let 11 goals past us in the last two games but we might need another until Steven Taylor is no longer injury prone.

• 8 Tsunki // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM

This is the January window we are talking about. Normally its a stop-gap flurry to stave off the injury list. Here we are thinking of major signings and a season reboot/cup win ha ha. Are we setting ourselves up for disappointment?

Ptbg is hitting the prediction bullseye so far is he? Someone posted the ‘how to be an itk’ link the other day, I suggest it is required reading for bloggers imo. I cant see him being any more than a predictor its very unlikely Owl and Ash will let any juicy worms escape. Just saying ptbg, dont call me names.

• 9 Pardews Perfect Battleplan // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM

this better be really happening

• 10 TorqToon // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Mbiwa is a possibility for sure. Word is good in France with regards this lad. And with Montpelier sitting 11th in the table and way off the pace – plus being out of Europe, we have plenty to offer him.

• 11 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Just like to say this:

Happy New Year to all the Bloggers on here ! Lets hope for a better beginning to 2013 than the shit way in which 2012 ended !

Lets start Winning games again and climb the Table !!

I don,t think we want to sign Tompkins, because he is no better than the players we already have !

Mirin is a different story! Lets go and get him , would be a good signing.

Debuchy is very nearly already a done deal, barring a medical and signing his contract ! No Stupid and strange clauses in his contract please. Would like to know who is in charge of drawing up contracts, as the situation with BA could of been avoided all together if that side had been properly handled!

Read somewhere that Debuchy will be in the stands wednesday evening to watch his team-mates !

• 12 Jayden // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM

It’s true, we need our own Yaya. Either Diame or Sissoko will do, preferably Sissoko as he’s younger (and not Senegalese :P).

• 13 woolerbill // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Simpson shows is true colours, he will be out all of the transfer window, so we can’t sell him. He gets to walk away for nothing.

• 14 Tsunki // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I just wonder if the club is desperate to offload Ba now, and his agents are taking us to the brink by demanding ridiculous bungs to try and ensure a summer move when they will undoubtedly get more interest and therefore money? This is a panic window after all, its a bit like selling your house 6 weeks before Crimbo, it doesnt really work that well.

• 15 TorqToon // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM

“It was my dream to come to Newcastle – and it still is a dream to be here. I came to learn very important things in football.

“I know that this year I will be much better.”

Cisse has been touched by the kind-hearted Newcastle fans who have never turned on him, despite going five months without a goal.

“I am very conscious about the fact I need to work hard,” he said. “The team believe in me and the supporters do as well.

“I know that because during difficult times I wasn’t playing like I was before, but the supporters and people who are my fans have never let me down.

“They have tried to push me and tried to encourage me.

“Next year I will be the same Papiss that I was when I come here. That is what I am hoping for.”

• 16 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM

What are you going to do if it does,nt?

• 17 Tsunki // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Steady NewExpat – he will probably do what we will all do. Moan and bitch. Its the sensible way to go. I plan on doing it.

• 18 toon smart // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I think Newcastle will spend in this window is 10 million GBP. This wouldn’t include any money gained from the sale of Ba.

So, if Debuchy cost about £5 million GBP, the rest will be divided between a new CB (probably about £3 million max) and the rest on a new striker (probably with the money from the Ba transfer).

I hope the Ba situation is resolved soon. I don’t mind if he stays or goes. If he stays, I hope Pardew realises that Ba and Cisse cannot play together in their favoured positions. He should play one or the other, never together. If Ba goes, then the striker coming in needs to be happy with playing on the wing because Cisse is an out and out striker, he cannot play on the wing.

• 19 Toonboy_84 // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Happy new year everyone! Haven’t posted much recently. Been following religiously though.

Sick of this whole Ba thing now. I just wish he’d leave now. I will miss him banging them in for us but I think someone else (cisse) will step up. They always do.

If he did stay on, I’d support him as much as anyone else, as long as he gives 100%. I do feel too much has happened now though. Bridges are burnt.

Let’s hope for a few good signing’s and a successful 2013.

• 20 hotdog // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM

So how’s everybodys hangover this morning?

Ive not posted much over the festives, too busy (feeding my face lol )

Debuchy will add experience to that back four so he is a yes for me. However, we cant wait until the end of the window for the centre half, we need him in now. Ba really needs to decide if he is going or he is leaving us in the claggy stuff.

As for players going ive got a feeling Tiote could be on his way!

• 21 nick_9 // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Tsunki I’m with you on that, never been one to believe these ITK’s and do believe most just guess. The many fake ITK’s spoil it for the real ones if there are any. They always pop up this time of year and gullible folk cling on to what they say as hope for us.

Debuchy looks very likely to come in, that is perhaps a sign we should have or wanted to do business in the summer but couldn’t do a deal. Once he is over the line we could be looking at a few million on a cb and if nobody else leaves we look much stronger. I’d really like to see sissoko or diame but don’t think we can accommodate another central midfielder unless someone leaves, would also be nice to see a good winger come in but again I don’t think it’s seen as a priority with the many average ones we have. Scott Sinclair on loan could work

• 22 Pardews Perfect Battleplan // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:35 AM

@newexpat i feel very delicate today. the wrong piece of news might kill me lol

• 23 toon smart // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Regarding Ba’s contract, if the player and his advises insisted on having the clause before signing then it doesn’t give Newcastle much option if they wanted to sign the player.

• 24 hdavid23 // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

i personally think we need five new players, one is Debuchy, plus a starting CB and a back-up CB, also a back-up FB and at least a striker/winger type of player like Remy, and we’ll be great in the second half of the season

• 25 BelfastMagpie // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

What was that cryptic post you left last night all about ?

Was it directed at me ?

About the new Itk guy calling you skunki.

• 26 Tsunki // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM

nick – touched a nerve there with the thought that the debuchy deal is merely an overspill from the summer. If we sign him and that is it, what does that say about Pardews’ ability to get something done by MA and Owlman about his threadbare squad? not much. I fear that if Debuchy is indeed the only recognised signing, the negative spin could gain momentum, and unhappily not without some justification.

• 27 Pardews Perfect Battleplan // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM

@tsunki i will never moan.

• 28 Tsunki // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Belfast – evidently still reeling from ingesting the flood of erudite musings I bestow kindly upon the masses in Twitsville-upon-all-at-sea then. Or the last nights excessive alcohol consumption :)

It was ptbg calling me Skunki from the off merely because I suggested his itk offerings were the product of accumulated wisdom from tweetland and guesswork. I was just saying that you at least had the grace to go a few months before going down tht route! :)

• 29 Slank // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Whilst the January transfer window is not the generally accepted time when most transfer deals take place I am optimistic that we will get at least one, possibly two, new players, probably both defenders.

I think Debuchy is a done deal. I hope we get a young centre-back as there is too big a gap between our regular three centrebacks (Colo, Saylor and Williamson) and the next level.

I will be surprised (but delighted) if we get an additional forward irrespective of whether Ba leaves or not. I’m torn between wanting Ba to stay because of his excellent goal scoring record and wanting him to go as I think he (or probably more accurately his ‘advisors’) is disruptive to the team and club.

I don’t see any midfield players coming in now or even the summer. We are blessed with some very skillfull players.

If we beat Everton I think it will kick start our season especially with some new faces and some of our other top players returning from injury.

HWTL for 2013

• 30 BelfastMagpie // Jan 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Oh right. :)

After a few times reading it, I thought you were trying to suggest it was me.

It was all very cryptic…

• 31 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jan 1, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Well, in spite of everyone,s hang-over this morning !

My resolution is to carry on with this Blog, and be confronterend when it,s needed but to try and keep some form of Decorum, in the debates ( arguments ) with you all !
    Polished off the better part of a bottle of Cognac during the night ! Remy Martin ! mmmmmm!

We are all, after all, supporting the same team, are we not?
    I really do doubt this sometimes, need to start winning games and dig ourselves out of the Bad run we been having!

• 32 hdavid23 // Jan 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Pardew wants to play Ba against Everton… opinions? i think it’s a terrible idea, will further destroy the team morale…

• 33 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jan 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM

@32 :

Not sure what to make of that ?

Would prefer actually for BA to be dropped in favour of playing Papiss down the middle, although that,s just what i think!

I will say this though, BA did put the ball in the net against the Gooners the other day before that last twenty minute collapse !

• 34 hdavid23 // Jan 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM

i actually fear that this would set a terrible example for our players, and mostly HBA… he’s not a person that could be easily handled, and if he sees Ba can do whatever he wants, he will start doing so as well…

• 35 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jan 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I think thats exactly the reason that BA should be dropped while all this contract and Transfer crap is hanging over our heads !

If Pardew does that, and it a Big IF? drops BA completely, not even on the bench, then it will give a clear and direct message to the rest of the Squad ! A also his agrnts and BA himself ! I can,t understand why BA just is,nt saying anything, no staements of inent, he should open his shell-like and react to all the Bullshit flying around !

The club needs to start playing Hard-ball !

BA and his representatives ( Agents ) need to be given an Ultimatum,

” this is your new contract, take it or leave it” !

I think this has all gone far enough. What is now going down is to the detriment of the whole club and the rest of the squad !
    Until this is all sorted i don,t even think BA should be playing or even on the bench !

Maybe my opinion will rattle a few feathers on here but i just don,t care about that anymore!

The Club Comes First!

• 36 Sav // Jan 1, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Credit to Simpson for playing on with a broken toe. As for Demba Ba, he’s not the bad guy, just an adult trying to maximise his earning potential. Mashley has paid him little enough while giving his best. Now he’s looking to reap the rewards for 30 goals scored and a series of excellent performances.
    Remember, Ba is dealing with Llambias. How many of us would show him loyalty or fail to take advantage if he was over a barrel?|

• 37 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jan 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Yeh but Sav: Read the writing on the Wall eh!

BA is an adult now and i think he knows exactly what he,s doing? He reads the press too you know !

But he,s not saying anything, he must realise how much fuss this whole situation is causing? So why not a statement of Intent ! Leaving or Staying !
    Great if he stays but if he does that he must find New people to represent him! The people representing him now are not doing him or the club any favours !

The longer this situation goes on it will damage the whole club !

• 38 LEROI // Jan 1, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Debuchy signed now bring on the cb &striker please.

previous post: Pardew Urges Demba Ba To Make Statement