The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Demba Ba – Newcastle A Big Club – Fans Are The Best

7:07 am, Monday, January 7th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 21 Comments

We had seen on Friday that Demba Ba had put a thank you note on his Twitter account to the Newcastle fans for all they had done for him at Newcastle, but he has expanded that in an interview he gave yesterday.

demba ba

Demba Ba - Newcastle fans the best

And the Senegal striker has given out compliments to the Newcastle fans as the best fans he has ever played for.

This is what he said:

“When a club like Chelsea wants you the decision is going to be easy.” “With all the respect I have for Newcastle, because Newcastle is a big club with a big history, when you come to Chelsea it’s a step forward for me.”“The Newcastle supporters probably won’t be too happy but the true fans will understand.”

“They were supporting me from day one and I’m very happy with this season. They’re some of the best fans I’ve played for.”  “I just want to thank them for what they’ve done for me.”  “I can understand. It’s not like I wanted to leave them in some trouble, but if you have Chelsea wanting you this kind of club is not coming in every day for you.”

“I woke up on Wednesday and I prepared myself to play for Newcastle) against Everton.”  “I got a text from the manager (Alan Pardew) that said I needed to come and see him.”  “From that moment I knew that everything was fixed and I’d go.”  “I traveled down as quickly as possible to London to watch the Chelsea game against QPR and after that the next day I had a medical so it was very busy.”

We should probably clarify what Demba Ba said in his first paragraph – Newcastle are a big club who have won nowt since 1969 – excuse my Geordie lingo. And with those comments Ba has probably realized Chelsea have to play Newcastle on Saturday – 2nd February.

So what with Alex Ferguson coming out and saying his comments about that wee club in the North East were directed completely at the Newcastle hierarchy and not the Geordie fans, whom Alex said were the best in the business – we’ve had a few compliments over the last few days.

Now if we only can get a team that’s as good as the fans – and we’d win the Premier League.

Fact!

Howay The Lads!!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Demba Ba · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

21 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ben3arfa // Jan 7, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Ba is a classy chap, I do not blame him for leaving . Got offered better terms than the terrible contract he had here .

Def served the club well during his time here

• 2 nufc1984 // Jan 7, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Aubameyang as his replacement. Best striker in France at moment. Makes remy look like shola.

• 3 dmac // Jan 7, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Its difficult with Pierre emerick to know whether this will be a one off. Ac allowed him to leave as they did not see potential and so it makes you cautious.

We once signed Stephane Guivarch and he was banging them in at french league football..

• 4 Tsunki // Jan 7, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Well what I think is… Errhh never mind can’t be bothered.

• 5 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 7, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Good words demba
    Good luck thanks for the goals you will def be missed!
    Just try not to score against us in a few weeks areet!!

• 6 nufc1984 // Jan 7, 2013 at 7:21 AM

I agree dmac but he’s only 23 and like Adam Campbell he scored loads in youth tournaments and got MVP while at ac Milan. Not a bad start. Thing is he scored more in his 68-70 games for st ettiene than remy has for a superior marseille side and he’s younger. Just think he’s worth a punt and will probably be cheaper

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 7, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I’m cautious of all strikers coming from France since Guivarch…possibly slightly harsh, but he came with a great reputation, and then discovered he couldn’t even be top scorer in the Scottish league. Both Aubemyang and Remy are risks, on balance I think I would prefer Remy, but I have been wrong about these things before!!

Either way, whoever we get, as long as it is someone, I have faith in Graham Carr so will be happy enough!

• 8 Ben3arfa // Jan 7, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Pierre Emerick is one hell of a player, so is Max Gradel , I remember when we almost bought him off Leeds a couple of years back . Would be amazing having them both on board

• 9 Sinner // Jan 7, 2013 at 7:27 AM

nufc1984
    Aubameyang hasn’t scored in like 8-9 games and you’re saying best striker in France?

• 10 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 7, 2013 at 7:27 AM

As for Demba, I wish him all the best at Chelsea, except on the occasions he plays for them against us. Served us well.

• 11 Sinner // Jan 7, 2013 at 7:29 AM

i meant in the last 8 games.

• 12 nufc1984 // Jan 7, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Sinner- and ba didn’t score in 16 games in a row last season. Your point…..? His team might not be making as many chances. Get him in a team with cabaye and Ben 10 and you’ll c goals.

• 13 Sazzer // Jan 7, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Always risk involved. Huntelaar, Torres, Gameiro etc.

• 14 KevinHann // Jan 7, 2013 at 7:39 AM

I politely disagree on Aubameyang scoring better than Remy. Comparing their ratios Remy is more prolific. He also offers better variety in terms of the way he scores – lots of headed goals, plus he can comfortably play wide.

But the decisive factor is his experience – Remy is the finished article while Aubameyang is still establishing himself. Despite Loic’s poor form he is more likely to adapt to the pace of English football and slot in straight away. Don’t forget, we need experience over talent right now.

Some stats:
    Remy – 227 games, 79 goals, 24 assists.
    Aubameyang – 176 games, 46 goals, 28 assists.

Remy goals – 27 R-foot, 9 L-foot, 21 headers, 7 penalties, 1 free kick, 1 tap-in, 13 no info.
    Aubameyang goals – 18 R-foot, 5 L-foot, 5 headers, 2 long shots, 3 tap-ins, 13 no info.

Also Remy could turn out easier to capture at this point. PEA’s contract expires in 2016 which allows Saint Etienne to dictate the transfer fee and he is a bit of a hot asset right now.

• 15 nufc1984 // Jan 7, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Kevin- good research mate. I was just looking at the last 60 odd games and aubameyang looked to be most prolific at moment. He’s also less injury prone and when u look at stats from last 12 months aubameyang is up there with the best for all round team play. Only 7 players above him in castrol rankings.(like opta)

• 16 Rock // Jan 7, 2013 at 7:44 AM

its a lesson to be learnt – don’t go for cheap mercenaries, invest in some committed characters. We need good local player(s) to instill some steel in our play, particularly when the chips are down. what’s the point of buying these cheaper talented continental/african players if they use SJP as a highway inn before they catch the next bus to the big cities. in any case, we have to have a CB and a CF in this window.

• 17 nufc1984 // Jan 7, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Rock who would u suggest that is good and more importantly local?

• 18 Sazzer // Jan 7, 2013 at 8:01 AM

PEA is comfortable wide as well. He is Lw vs remy is rw. It’s true Remy is the better header of the two. I would argue Aubameyang has enough experience to do just as fine. Remy haven’t looked as good since his injury. So might take longer for him to find form. If there is a choice between them i think it will based on value for money. Remy might be few pounds cheaper now, but his resale value will be less because he is older.

• 19 Sazzer // Jan 7, 2013 at 8:04 AM

By the way, Ibra is best striker in France.

• 20 Sazzer // Jan 7, 2013 at 8:05 AM

the

• 21 Rock // Jan 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM

nufc1984 // Jan 7, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Plenty of decent english options for the back line, although wage might be an issue with most of them. and i would happily take carroll up front because he is very likely to play his best in black and white.

previous post: Loic Remy Turns Down Lucrative QPR Offer

next post: Are Newcastle Interested In Michu Or Danny Graham?