The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Joey Barton Says Loic Remy Staying At Marseilles

8:52 am, Thursday, January 10th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 58 Comments

It may be bad news on the Loic Remy front, and just like we failed to get out number one target to Newcastle last summer Luuk de Jung, is could be that we will also fail to get Loic Remy to Newcastle in January.

joey barton marseilles

Joey Barton – Remy staying put

Marseilles manager Elie Baup had said yesterday that he thought his top striker might stay and the club and when Barton was asked on that twitter account of his – yes he still has it active – if he could help to get Remy To Newcastle he tweeted the following:

“Think think he’s decided to stay put mate. Were all happy as he’s a big player for us and were trying to win the league”

Certainly Joey Barton and Marseilles are having a very good season, and they had one of their best starts ever, and at the moment they are level on 38 points with PSG and Lyon, but are third top because of their much poorer goal difference.

And Joey Barton seems to be doing well in France, and as well as picking up a French accent there, he was last month’s Player of the Month at the south France club, and of course he let everybody know that with his latest tweet.

But all the signs now seem to suggest Loic Remy will not move anywhere in January,  but will stay with Marseilles to try to get them as French Champions again.

That’s not good news for Newcastle.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at

Tags: Joey Barton · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

58 responses so far ↓

• 1 TorqToon // Jan 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM

This is all because Joey Barton has said so???

Huge pinch of salt required…

• 2 JAMSHA // Jan 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM

in joey i trust

• 3 Transfer Sage // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I know last time we were ‘too good’ to go down and there were worse teams…but in that side we had a terrible manager (before people complain the managers that year were worse than pardew) and we had a lot of players with no desire to fight to keep us up…oba martins, michael owen (key players as goals keep you up, need to win).

I think we have much more about us and we will get out of it…a lot more experienced international who are in their prime years or a bit younger. Not washed up has beens as some were.

• 4 Tsunki // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM

This is Joey talking. He would talk all day about anything as long as his tiwt page was active.

• 5 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:01 AM

…yes and Ba liked it at NUFC and wanted to stay (…ohh wait did I get that one wrong :))

• 6 Novocastrian66 // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Personally I think Mick Lowes’ comments were a load of twaddle. He obviously believed in what he was saying, but I think all Newcastle are doing is the football equivalent of window shopping.
    Having a look at what’s on offer without any real intention of buying. If they see anything the really like and can afford they may be tempted but unlikely.
    They will then tell anyone who is prepared to listen about how many bargains they nearly got, but they weren’t quite right.

• 7 thud and blunder // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I agree with Torq Toon

Joey Barton is on loan at OM. What does he know about board room activity. If OM accept a bid from Newcastle then its obvious that they dont want Remy.

AC was happy at Newcastle till we accepted a bid.

But then until Newcastle actually put in a bid then its all paper talk and hearsay

• 8 hdavid23 // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:02 AM

u can say anything about Joey, but he’s a true fighter, and we’d really, really need him now…

• 9 jeff // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Would love joey back

• 10 TorqToon // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Some nice ‘rumblings’ over here with regards Moussa Sissoko. Nothing concrete but all the right noises being mooted! :-)

• 11 WWYCD // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Young established French international fighting for a league title doesn’t want to sign for a failing Newcastle United to fight against relegation? Crazy so and so he is

Still might rock up but very unlikely

On a side note who was spouting on the radio about NUFC close to signing multiple players?

• 12 Jamlar // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Have been following this blog for a couple of years now and finally decided to leave a comment!

I personally think, that the Remy deal never looked likely as the player never seemed keen from what he has said/agents have said.

I would much prefer to go for a player who will want to wear the mighty black and white shirt with pride rather than signing for the money. Then again, this is a rare trait among footballers these days.

Bottom line is we need some bodies through the door ASAP. Our first team Is depleted through injury and our reserves showed against Brighton (and other teams this year) that they aren’t up to it. So move on from Loic Remy to Aubamayang I reckon. I have seen the lad play and he has lightning pace and knows where the net is.

• 13 Rotonda heights // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:04 AM

bills son

how is started 11 games a regular when most teams have played 21 plus cup games.

I’m amazed we have managed to get the people we have done here as pardew’s negative defensive hoofball is not exactly going to be attractive to quality players. Plus we have a wage cap, So getting Benny, Cabs, Debuchy 3 French internationals and others like Santon etc almost defies belief.

• 14 Tsunki // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Relegation year was different. Most of our ‘big’ stars were well-paid journeymen with reputations and the desire to find another club before the season ended, so didn’t care about the ship as long as they could jump off. I would be surprised if any such names exist in this team at this point, they still have a lot to prove before clubs bang on our door for them.

• 15 davybtoon // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Wwycd – mick lowes said 3/4 players will come in 2 very advanced stages 1 within the next 5/6days also said remy was no where near n he was right about that

• 16 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Mick lowe
    Or mike lowery if you ask jesper 😉

• 17 Rotonda heights // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:06 AM

mick lowes

• 18 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:06 AM

• 19 Novocastrian66 // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:07 AM

WWYCD. It was Mick Lowes. See my previous comment for my opinion on what he said.

• 20 WWYCD // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:07 AM

We had players that didn’t have the fight in them when we went down…not to be argumentative but been awhile since I have seen some fight or desire from our current crop

And if the managers lost the dressing room it doesn’t matter how good he is and there have been signs

• 21 thud and blunder // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Tell you all one thing, If and its an IF, if we get relegated I fear the worst.

I dont think we will come straight back up. The side that went down the last time had a decent spine of hard grafting English players eg Harper, Taylor, Nolan, Barton, Carroll etc. Add Enrique, Colo, Jonas etc to that.

I just cant see Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Cisse, Santon, Debuchy et al staying at Newcastle, nor do I see Colo or Jonas doing another stint in the Championship

That leave us with a very very paper thin squad with no quality

Worrying times, which is why we have to buy now and buy well!!

• 22 hdavid23 // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:08 AM

is this Mick Lowes guy reliable?

• 23 thud and blunder // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Mick Lowes knows nothing more than Lee Ryder (and thats not much at all). As if the top brass at Newcastle are going to give any clues out to anyone

• 24 WWYCD // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Cheers lads one more question…whose Mick Lowes?

I would tend to agree but am a cynical sod :)

• 25 davybtoon // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Just remembered the reason i stopped coming on here bcoz your all bunch of moaning doom and gloom merchants
    Nearly every comment is negative even when we were doing well last season it was the same, n there out in force again now it’s not going well

• 26 thud and blunder // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Mick Lowes is a commentator on BBC Radio Newcastle, he does the Newcastle games.

• 27 Novocastrian66 // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Jamlar. Agree.

• 28 WWYCD // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:14 AM

He’s just a commentator on NUFC games? Why the dickens should I believe what he says then? Sounds like just another company man tbh

• 29 Tsunki // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Sorry Micky who? Didnt quite catch that…..

• 30 Reedos // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Morning all!
    Another day of speculation and no action.

• 31 thud and blunder // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I agree, he doesnt know anything. He basically said that he’d chatted to a few people at the club and got an “inkling” that there may be some business done.

He knows as much as you or I mate

• 32 Transfer Sage // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:16 AM

there is no fight in some of the lads I agree.

But players like cabayae, ben arfa, marvoux (impressed me a lot recently), anita, bigi, perch, santon, cisse have all showed some fight.

• 33 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Yo…Mike Lowery 😉 lol

• 34 davybtoon // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM

When are fans who turned the god kk for selling Andy cole n turned sir bobby n they wanted shot even though we were top5 what chance has any manager got of succeeding at this club, and most blame Ashly but praise Shepard who failed more than anyone ever has as club owner, you kno were always gonna struggle when things like this happen

• 35 WWYCD // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Oh well there’s that excitment gone

• 36 Indian Magpie // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Bad News :(

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder
    James Perch should be fine to take on Canaries

• 37 HullMag6 // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Mick Lowes says 3-5 players could be in this window. Hmmm who on your shopping list boys and girls? I think Remy might be a bluff/smokescreen.

My list.
    Sakho/Mbiwa or Alderweild
    Tompkins/Douglas or Pieters
    Sissoko or Diame
    PEA or Remy
    other winger/fwd or any of above

• 38 Transfer Sage // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM

thud and blunder

I said the same about us being stuck if we go down this year as we would lose a lot of players…world cup years so our internationals would all want top flight football to have a chance to go brazil.

Mick Lowes knows much more than us. People seem to think everything is well guarded secret. He wont know the ins and outs but will get some good info from people he knows.

Not saying things are definite as he said they are in advanced negotiations and they can still collapse.

But don’t just write off anything you hear.

• 39 Indian Magpie // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Only Joking :mrgreen:

• 40 davybtoon // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:21 AM

You have all made a point that you should listen to yourselfs you no nothing about what’s going on so stop bloody bitching n moaning

• 41 theroosta // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Mick Lowes is a straight down the line type of fella ,and definatly not your average bullspouter, we all know these windows are awful with the anticipation of signings then the let downs a lot of the time, but Lowes must know something as he would not want to make a mug of himself being that he does commentate for radio Newcastle on the toon games and would probably show himself up if we dont bring anyone else in.

I will go with another two to come in, not sure about James Tomkins, seen him up here when they beat us a couple of months ago, he did not look to bad but i remember thinking mmmmm is this the lad we have been looking at for a while?? dosnt look to much of a step up from Williamson and we need a very big step up from that fella without doubt.

• 42 WWYCD // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Individual fight yeah but I haven’t seen us play like a team in far too long which was a pretty big reason why we went down last time, I don’t think we will go down btw I reckon Cabs coming back into the team will give us a level of control and composure again but it could well be close

Well am definitely not trusting a bad boy haha

• 43 thud and blunder // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Yup, it lasted for about 5 seconds when I heard, then I remembered that phone in that he was on is pro Newcastle (the club). A guy rang in the other day and said he wasnt going to listen to it anymore as they never have a dig at the way the club is being run etc. He was a knowledgeable guy, not some idiot.

So Im hoping for a few good signings, but Im expecting them to be Saylor and Cabaye returning from injury and the old line of “we tried to get them over the line but couldnt quite do it” on February 1st

• 44 BelfastMagpie // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Why would Barton just make it up ?
    I know he’s a looney bin, but dont see why he would make it up. They’ve probably new this from last weekend. When they came back empty handed.

• 45 davybtoon // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Why do u all assume they were in France just for remy, qpr were as we seen redknapp there, more than likely we were doing over deals

• 46 martoon // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Mick Lowes has been commentating on Newcastle games for as long as I can remember and does all the pre & post match interviews. He obviously will have a lot of contacts and friends within NUFC. If he says we are in negotiations then I would believe him more than any other source. He is not prone to sensationalism and I think in the Summer he said there would be no more transfers after Antita at the height of speculation and he was right.

• 47 Transfer Sage // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Does anyone know the average amount of money clubs generate from stadium advertising? not naming rights but adverts around the pitch.

• 48 WWYCD // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Must admit I barely ever listen to the radio these days probably why I’d never heard of this Lowes bloke but him being pro Ashley regime tends to fit imo I don’t hold it against him but means I can’t fully trust him

I agree on the signing front I hope for at least 2 more but I expect a boat load of excuses and a ‘we need to forget about the window now and get behind the team’ statement come Feb

• 49 Colo-Sus // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I dont want remy anyway, hes not sounded interested at all, and we dont want players who dont want to play here,

Aubameyang is also though to be of higher potential in France among the journos in twitter.

I really dont want Remy!!!!

Sissokho is a great move if we get that done,

We need a commanding organizer at the back who is good in the air a Vidic/Terry esq player Colo is a cultered player not a body on the line CB. Thats what we lack massively.

• 50 davybtoon // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Martoon – is right mick lowes is spot on most the time n never spouts rubbish about the toon I would believe him over anyone

• 51 Tsunki // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Should I just go and find a kitchen to fit then? Would that be a good idea? Would take me up to february then I could come back and wade through the dismal fallout.

• 52 Transfer Sage // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I believe Joey thinks that Remy is going no where.

But that doesn’t mean us or anybody else won’t go back in with a higher bid later in the window.

• 53 Jackson1989 // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:30 AM

f**k joey b, any else thought we should just go in to sign mertens or lens, PEA aint going to leave until summer, we need some1 n atleast next week not pissing about until last day sooner we get out 433 back up and running sooner we prove the haters wrong

• 54 davybtoon // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Sage – ain’t got a clue

• 55 TorqToon // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Possibly some news from this side. I’ve been told that a ‘representative’ of the club is currently at the Stade de la Mosson (Montpellier HSC) and having a meeting. I have no idea who the rep is (i don’t get the feeling it’s Lambias) but if true we could be speaking about a number of players…

Younes Belhanda

• 56 dubzy // Jan 10, 2013 at 9:42 AM

• 57 Lee Dodd // Jan 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Load of old Crap This is what will happen as per Normal. We will get Steven Taylor and cabaye Back Get a Win Against Reading and then Mike Ashley will Think we dont need anyone this transfer window and Debouchey will be enough. Same old crap as in the summer ran on bare bones like sports direct !!!! He will want the youngsters that played on saturday to do a job I can just see it now !!!! Who in there right mind would get shot of a top scorer and have no one lined up ?? Man U NO Man City No Liverpool NO Chelsea No Arenal No Totenham No… NEWCASTLE UNITED YES OF COURSE AS THE BOARD AND THE MANAGER ARS STUPID. SAME OLD SHITE AS WITH ANDY CARROLL !!!

• 58 hadthetshirt // Jan 10, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Did he say that with his new Inspector Clouseau accent.:)

previous post: Newcastle Still After England Center-Back