Something we have been ignoring this month is the news that Fabricio Coloccini wants to return home to Argentina in the January transfer window, and his father Osvaldo has said the reason for this has to do with personal matters.
Coloccini and Pardew – has there been a bust up?
We have no idea if this story is true, but we have noticed that the Newcastle captain has not given any interviews now for several weeks, and of course his form has not been god over the last 16 games, in which the team has had only two wins, and of those we have lost 9 of the last 11 league games.
The Independent is reporting in an exclusive that the 30-year-old has told club officials today that he indeed wants to return home to Argentina, and before the end of the month too.
Fabricio signed a new deal at Newcastle only last year, and he is the highest paid player on the Newcastle books, and we just have to think there is something wrong in the Newcastle dressing room - if this news is correct.
The news is that his representatives have flown into Newcastle and told the club Fabricio wants to leave, and of course there have been reports that Pardew and Coloccini have not exactly seen eye to eye of late, and Coloccini even criticized the way Newcastle play the game recently, with the team using long balls far too much.
As we said, we are a little dubious to think this story is true, because it will be a huge hit to Newcastle, as the club are busy fighting relegation.
And it hardly helps the preparation for the game at Norwich City on Saturday.
The club he wants to join is Lorenzo, and as we said, we have ignored this story simply because we didn’t think it could possibly be true.
But this news could be devastating to the club, and we would expect Newcastle to issue some kind of statement about this soon – and hopefully it’s just made up nonsense – and after all Coloccini has a contract to honor at Newcastle.
San Lorenzo are not a rich club and could hardly match the transfer fee Newcastle would ask for the Argentine International and their President, Matias Lammens, has said they are interested in signing Fabricio:
“Coloccini to San Lorenzo is the plan A, B and C,” “He represents much more than football – he played here six months and was champion, his father works at the club and is a fan. The deadline is next week but we cannot do anything crazy with the budget.”
After the antics of Demba Ba leaving for bigger money at Chelsea, this is the last thing we want to hear, in what has been one of Newcastle’s worst runs ever in the Premier League.
We hope this news is not true.
You can also reach Ed at email@example.com