Ben Arfa – To Sign For PSG Would Be Childhood Dream

After such a poor Premier League campaign, Newcastle could find it difficult to hang on to some of  our best players this summer, but it will take big money for Mike Ashley to agree to sell some of our top stars like Yohan Cabaye and Ben Arfa.

hatem ben arfa fenech trainign camp

Ben Arfa – with French squad last summer

Alan Pardew had said that late last season – that if we didn’t do well in the league some of the top players may get itchy feet, and certainly our top players didn’t sign up to be in a relegation battle.

And as a potential prelude to things that may happen in the summer, Ben Arfa is at the Clairefontaine Academy recovering from his hamstring problem, and he was asked in an interview with the Le Parisien if he would like to play for Paris Saint-Germain:

“I am under contract with Newcastle and I’m fine,” “First, I must save my club. I only think of that. Help my team and my coach, with whom I get along great. We really want to fight for him.”

“The fans are great too. Once we have saved the club, you never know. To sign for PSG would be a childhood dream. If there is a proposal, I will study it with interest.” “If there is a proposal. The ‘if’ is important.”

“I should be able to resume playing in mid-February.”  “I rehabilitate from Monday to Friday at the medical center at Clairefontaine. Morale is good because I’m in Paris and with family.”

“But when I see the games on television, it is not easy. The team needs all its players.”

In these interviews they always try to lead players into saying things they regret,  and ask questions like the above – would you like to play for France’s richest club at the moment, and it’s sometimes difficult for players to say things that are politically correct – although Ben Arfa says a lot of good things about Newcastle and Alan Pardew in particular.

Our last 16 games of the season are important, because if we can make a recovery and finish in a decent position in the league table, then this season will have been a hiccup, caused by not having a strong enough squad last September.

But we can do a lot better next season – and we still expect as many as three new players to arrive before February rolls around – not including Debuchy and Remy.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• reccerobbo

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Demba Ba all over againg????

• Ben3arfa

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:59 AM

yer but with all due respect to HBA , PSG are going after some superstar names atm. I dont know how hed fit in there

• Transfer Sage

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM

This is different I think.

1. this is his childhood club and he is saying this is the only one he wants to join, not touting himself around to anyone like Ba

2. he has no release clause so a decent fee would be needed to get him, so we don’t lose out as much as the money would be good off psg

still rather keep him though, by far our most talented and exciting player.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM

TS…playing a player at this level with an hamstring after just 14 days is pushing it (and that is me being nice ;))

…that’s Pardew’s call – no one else!

Cabs had a nig at the beginning of the season, but Pards hoped he could wait with an operation (what does that do for a player who has to play football fir many years to come)

We are not cursed TS 😉 lol…injuries are sometimes just down to poor luck but also poor choices – when they are pro-longed it is usually down to mishandling (I am inclined to think both Shalo and Saylor have been mishandled their entire career)

• jayphoto

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:02 AM

PSG play Lucas Moura in his position aswell as having jeremy menez and pastore who have played there, love Benny but he wouldnt get into the PSG team, they wont spend 20m + for a player to sit on the bench no matter how rich they are

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:02 AM

TS…PDG is not his childhood club; Benny is from Clamant just outside Paris and he has never played for PSG at any level (don’t read to much into these interviews)

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM

*PSG

• Les Grossman

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM

GIZ A BREAK!!
    Its all a load of bollocks man.

Lazy shit stirring Journalism!!!

• WWYCD

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM

HBA in a PSG team? Hmm I like him but he isnt consistent enough or a big enough name for them…plus Zlatan would ruin him haha

• Transfer Sage

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Jesper

I do agree it was pards mistake

Just thinking maybe some supernatural power is controlling him….like they have controlled our previous managers to injure all our players.

Maybe the locals in sunderland are still practicing voodoo or witchcraft.

I can’t understand how over the past 10-15 years we have had so many injuries and so many players we have had are injury prone

jenas, dyer, woodgate, owen, carroll, saylor,…..we just produce so many injury prone players….definitely a curse haha

• TorqToon

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Pure and simple fact – HBA wouldn’t get game time at PSG. He would become another statistic like Gamiero and Sakho.

He is still our top man though and isn’t going anywhere!

NUFC all over the French media today – dreamboat 1 & 2 in interviews as well as HBA doing the rounds.

Wait – are we still allowed to refer to them as ‘dreamboat’?? Ha 🙂

• matt11_25

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Ben3arfa

HBA may not be a superstar name but the lad is superstar caliber. Just look at his youtube highlight real of what he did in ONE season with Newcastle not to mention in the rest of his career. He plays with flair and does so effectively. Superstar.

• WWYCD

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Also interview question also seemed a bit tongue in cheek to me

• hugenufcfan

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM

ED, i think you need to stop posting things like this.
    What exactly are you trying to do? Already the fan moral here is at an all time low.
    Of course he would want to go to PSG. If you ask Santon if he would like to go to the top italian club say juve, he too would want to.
    Similar case with every player. Hell if you ask cabaye if he would like to go to Man u or city he too i guess would say yes.
    Thats the reality, we’re not among the elite clubs in the PL.

• matt11_25

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:10 AM

The sale of HBA would not really be comparable to BA as so much of Big Andy.. the only difference.. Carrol was vastly overrated and I think Nufc knew it.

• John Tudor

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:10 AM

i just hope we do not join the elite clubs in the championship

• Transfer Sage

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:11 AM

jesper

Just as he was born outside doesn’t mean it wasn’t his childhood club….there are plenty players for us who are ‘local lads’ from 20ish miles from newcastle. Even the great sir Bobby was from langley park in durham.

Benny says it’s his boyhood club so a possibility…although things can be lost/twisted in translation.

mat11_25

he is a superstar in talent….in terms of talent dribbling and turning with the ball I only put messi ahead in what he can do…unfortunately for HBA and us he doesn’t do it often enough to good effect….he has never got a great return of 15-20 goals in a season which he should have in france…even hazard has done that and I don’t think he has hba’s skill.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I said it earlier, if PSG want Ben Arfa they will have to shell out a lot of money for him. They are more than capable of doing that, but if Levy wants 55million for Bale, then would be pushing for a similar figure from PSG. They have the cash so who knows, they might do it, but 55million the way we operate and sign players can be stretched to a huge strengthening of the squad.

Granted some people will point to the Carroll money and say how slow we were to spend that, or that we haven’t spent it, but Mike could be learning, based on this window.

At the minute though, that article is pure speculation, and has no substance. I would love to play for my boyhood team. Can’t see it ever happening though!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM

TS…I think that Voodoo thing at 5under1and has to be investigated 😉 are you Tyne-bound? If so get some one on it lol

Torq…whom were you talking about when you said he were looking at a new keeper in Lique 1? 😀

• radja in Indonesia

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Oooo…… come on…!!!!

• toonarmydownsouth

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Jesper
    Pardew wouldnt play him unless he had been cleared by our medical team if he’d trained with no issues then there would be no reason to think playing him would be a risk

• jayphoto

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:15 AM

This is no different to asking danny graham or steve howard if theyd like to play for the toon! Hes a parisienne, ofcourse it would be his dream to play for them, doesnt mean hes off! To be honest if he has a season where he scores 15 and assists 15 then maybe we should worry but until then PSG wont come calling!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM

On local lads…local boy Steven Taylor was born in Greenwich and everyone’s favourite geordie legend, Shola Ameobi, was born in Zaria… That would make Ben Arfa extremely Parisien!

• kevymartins

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Newcastle lock up your daughters remy is in town. Newcastle lock up your sons debuchy is in town.

• jayphoto

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Being from tunisian descent, surprised Benny isnt a Red Star 93 fan, most people from north african heritage in paris follow them though they are low in the divisions, they are like the club of the people

• TheToonKing

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Yeah Benny looks like he wants away.

This terrible run of form looks like put a doubt in a lot a players heads. We were so close to push on from last year. Now they are considering their careers.

We’ll probably survive, might even go on a run, but the damage is done.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:24 AM

TS…you may be right about that; I honestly don’t know but I have never heard Benny talk about PSG and I have never seen PSG mentioned in the past when the subject has been Benny 🙂

…I usually just takes these interview for what they is – misleading questions and journos already having the answer they need is just begs the question 😉

I grow up just outside Aalborg and played football at my local club until I was 15. Then I was scouted by Aalborg Chang (later FC Nordjylland) and played for them until I was a senior and sadly ruined my knees.

Aab (the biggest club in Aalborg) was the closed team in the SAS league I could watch – you could say it was my childhood club I guess, but I always cheered for Brøndby which was at the otherside of the country in Copenhagen 🙂

…that’s why I don’t buy into these misleading interviews.

• TorqToon

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Jesp – A lad called Ali Ahamada.

21yr old French youth and U21 international.

6’3″ tall and an excellent prospect. Currently plays at Toulouse with Mr Sissoko and is the U21’s first choice keeper. Great shot stopper, powerful and controls his box extremely well and beyond his years. Word is he has a €8.5mil release clause in his contract as the club insisted on protecting their investment.

He also has 1 goal to his name scoring an equaliser in stoppage time for Toulouse against Rennes! 🙂

A goal scoring GOALKEEPER! Just what the doctor ordered! 🙂

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:27 AM

So bloody what every player has a team who are their childhood dream.
    Ben Arfa Would love to play for PSG but would PSG want Ben Arfa

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM

TADS…is that your honest opinion in a sport driven by money (and when we are in a situation where we need everyone fit?)

…sorry I couldn’t disagree more mate.

Any doctor would tell you differently (I have been there and done that mate)

• Matthew Tom

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM

What Ben Arfa says is honest, and entirely respectful of the fact that he’s under contract with us. We wouldn’t expect Alan shearer to say when at Blackburn that he would not wish to go to Newcastle and we shouldn’t expect this from Ben Arfa either if asked a direct question.

• Matthew Tom

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

What Ben Arfa says is honest, and entirely respectful of the fact that he’s under contract with us. We wouldn’t expect Alan Shearer to say when at Blackburn that he would not wish to go to Newcastle and we shouldn’t expect this from Ben Arfa either if asked a direct question about playing for his childhood dream club.

• estechco

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM

If the following link is to be believed…

the original question was a truly weird one anyway

“JoeyStar (a French rap star) once said: ‘PSG is my country’, do you recognise yourself in this statement?”

to which he starts back with

“It is a beautiful sentence. I recognise myself in it. I always enthralled with Paris and PSG is their symbol in football. So, yes, PSG is part of me. I had posters of all players when I was little.The Parc des Princes is fifteen minutes from my house today. ”

Can’t see that he has said anything too controversial here?