The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Shearer – Next Two Games Crucial To Newcastle Survival

10:18 am, Wednesday, January 16th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 39 Comments

We play Reading at home on Saturday, and we’ll have a chance to put some daylight between us and Reading if we can get the win, that will put us 8 points above them.

Alan Shearer _2008

Alan Shearer – we can no longer compete with big clubs

And the next game is Aston Villa, and Villa have gone into a terrible slump, much like Newcastle, and their defense is not exactly the best in the league and new manager Paul Lambert is playing a lot of youngsters in the side too.

But Villa are still only a couple of points behind Newcastle.

Shearer is getting just a little bit worried about Newcastle’s plight his season, and especially since we failed to get Loic Remy in – and the French striker would have made his debut against Reading this Saturday – but it wasn’t to be.

This is what Alan said today:

“I’m very surprised by where they are. We all know they punched above their weight last year but they’re better than what they’re showing at the minute.”  “At the minute I’m still saying that I believe they’re too good to go down, but if you were to ask me again in two games time I hope I still have that opinion.”

“The next two games are crucial.”  “Nothing surprises you in football, that’s the way it is. No longer can Newcastle compete with the top five or six because financially they’re not going to do that. I think that’s there for everyone to see. You’re not going to get that.”

I’ve said a few times I’m not so sure I could take another relegation, since it’s only four years from the last one, and my health situation is a lot different than it was four years ago, and I’ve been told I have to keep an even keel on things. That’s kind of hard to do when Newcastle keep losing almost every week.

We remember well Alan Shearer after the Aston Villa 1-0 defeat that took us down – as he seemed completely stunned about what had happened. So were Newcastle fans.

Surely we are not going to repeat the affairs of four years ago – after having such a good season last term.

But over the last two months we couldn’t have done much worse, and we’ve lost 9 of our last 12 league games and have been eliminated from the FA Cup at Brighton – for the second year in a row – and that was our third humiliating exit in a row from the FA Cup.

Didn’t we used to win that thing?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Premier League

39 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toon_Tom // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM

from previous article –

ARRRRRGHHHHH

• 2 cyprus // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Shearer,
    you’re a genius, mate!

From previous: Jesper,
    Not pulling your leg your comments make sense. I think I read a few days ago that you’ve played some football too.

• 3 89Norcal // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Ketsbaia9 // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Yeah, I had a brief word with Pardew last night.

lol didnt know you were ITK Kets!

jesper

I would be more emotional if my heart could handle it. I think it was Gary Weaver who recently said “You need a health warning to follow Newcastle” :)

• 4 cyprus // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Shearer refers to NUFC as “THEY”?

• 5 yorkymag // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Ed no please
    He ia a legend and gave me some of my best memories from my many years on the gallowgate
    But he is not the sharpest is he
    He states the bleeding obvious and try’s to be clever
    We should remember him for what he was probably the best true centre forward this country has seen
    But dontssuggest he is a deep thinker of the game

• 6 pawl250 // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Look negativity stops here!

We need 4 players in this window, 5 if Colo leaves. I suspect Simpson will leave in the upcoming 14 days.

If we sign

IN
    Mbiwa 7m – CB
    Haidara 2.5m – LB
    Okore 3m – CB
    Sissoko 3.5m – CM
    De Jong 9m – CAM/ST

OUT
    Colo – Free
    Simpson – 2m

Thats approx 23m net spend. HERE IS FOR HOPING!

OK its alot of investment but we will have a stronger, younger team from it. And they were willing to pay 8m for Remy so its only an extra 15m, given we are potentially losing Colo you would imagine a good 8m needs to be invested solely for that so its not really surprising.

No point crying over Remy, he was a gamble anyway. Just because we sign him doesnt mean he is going to come good.

Lets move on! We have a strong starting 11, we just need to get them fit!

READING TEAM

————————- Krul ————————–
    Debuchy – Williamson – Colo/Perch – Santon
    ————– Anita —— Bigi/Perch ————–
    Jonas ————— Cabaye ——— Marveaux
    ———————— Cisse ————————–

Looks like a decent team if you ask me, except central defence is weak if Colo isn’t playing.

Need to get likes of Arfa, Tiote, STaylor back NOW!

We need some players who can fill in. If we sign who I have stated –

——————— Krul ————————–
    Debuchy – Mbiwa – Colo/Okore – Santon
    ————- Anita —— Sissoko ————–
    Jonas ———— Cabaye ———– De Jong
    ———————— Cisse ———————-

We look very strong compared to the last team. With the likes of Arfa to return and Tiote who could maybe strengthen the team or back up if needed.

23m is NOT alot of money as we will have a fairly young squad!

• 7 Ben3arfa // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I dont need anyone on here to tell me whether to like Mike Ashley or not

I’m a Newcaste United fan and I loathe Mike Ashley, I want him out

Its our club that we want to do well, not his personal garage sale that he does to make an extra buck on the side

• 8 Rotonda heights // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:27 AM

name: Shearer

Subject: the bleeding obvious!!!

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Lucky you pointed that out Alan, I don’t think anyone else had thought of that.

• 10 the1willy // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM

All of the players we are being linked with are 22 or younger. Now forgive me if I’m wrong, but haven’t we enjoyed the most success when we’ve had at least a few more ‘experienced’ pros in the sqaud.
    I understand the policy of buying young, but we’re about to start a fight for our survival, and we need a couple of older heads in there.

• 11 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Cyprus…that’ true mate :) (but these days it’s only as an amateur)

…the transfer windows are always frustrating times for me cause we move so slowly and nervously that it’s unbelievable at times.

Wonder who are second choice on the list is and if signing a new CB is on the backburner until the Colo situation is solved?

• 12 Markaccus // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Lots of epic posts today, most about our investment history and transfer policy under ashley. While some of it is probably correct, I have to say its boring the pants off me, and probably others too!

• 13 Rotonda heights // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM

wonga, ashley, llambias, pardew,

what a grotesque combo

• 14 the1willy // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM

And I don’t just mean Shola

• 15 Pardews Parsnip Bonce // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM

@mermaidman ruddy is spongebob for his eternal optimism.
    catchy is southward for his negativity and dislike of spongebob (ruddy)
    kets is Patrick. nuff said

krabs i dunno

• 16 Rotonda heights // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Pawl.

Now to go with those players, probably none of which we will realistically get, we need a proper manager

• 17 RonVanDam // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Rotonda heights

I think you ment ashley, llambias, pardew are wonga’s :)

• 18 Jamiemac // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:33 AM

This has been the worst week ever as a nufc supporter

• 19 the1willy // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Ideal transfers for THIS WINDOW (not to take the club forward, but to stop us going down)
    2 CBs, one with premiership experience (I don’t care if he’s over 30), and one young, quick CB (probably from france) as cover.
    1 strong experienced CF who can hold the ball up, flick things on. 1 young quick forward who can play anywhere across the front.
    Any ideas who these players could be?

• 20 Markaccus // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Ashley is mr krabs. Wherrrrrre’s me moneeey, lad?

• 21 Transfer Sage // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM

When man city and before then Chelsea spent well above their means I understood it. Inject a lot of money up front to then see the rewards of champions league funding and also increase revenue from other sources with the eventual plan to have a large income and some within your means.

However, only so many teams can be in the champions league places so this will mean some will miss out and their owners will have to find this.

In the next ten years or so I see a breakaway league forming of Europes top teams

• 22 yorkymag // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Jamiemac
    You must be a very young chap
    There iscaclot more to come if my experience of the last forty years has taught me anything
    Cheer up

• 23 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Plankton…Skunki or Belfastt could easily be Mr. Krabs and and of course Ibiza is my sidekick Barnacle Boy ;) lol

• 24 TorqToon // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM

It’s all very quiet over this way this morning.

And it seems very quiet with regards Newcastle Utd news this morning back home.

Can’t decide whether that’s a good or a bad thing to be honest. Strange how SSN only reported last night about our bid for Haidara when we made the offer a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it’s now public as the clubs have accepted the bid and begun player negotiation?

• 25 Indian Magpie (HD_07 on Twitter) // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Lets see

• 26 Pardews Parsnip Bonce // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM

@mark yeah but it suits no blog members lol

• 27 the1willy // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM

@Jamiemac and yorkymag… yeah, my worst week(s) were all of those preceeding the appointment of KK the first time round when we were staring relegation to the 3rd (and the end of the club) in the eye

• 28 Markaccus // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM

The1willy. I agree, but I think we’d probably get away with just 1 foward, now that cisse will play central. I’m backing him to regain his form. 2 cb’s is a must, although, like you, I am unsure who we could get.

• 29 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Torq…I think there is a crisis going on in Mike’s office…

…apparantly no one told him in his monthly newsletter that is was already January ;)

• 30 the1willy // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Does anyone on hear remember when we signed Killer… now that’s the kind of mind set we need in a defender for the coming months.
    I remember watching him ‘introduce’ himself to the opposition’s CF at the beginning of matches… couldn’t get away with that nowadays

• 31 Pardews Parsnip Bonce // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

i want a pacy winger/striker and a strong forward who will be better than shola

• 32 Toonboy_84 // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I have really fallen out of love with football this season :(

• 33 Markaccus // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM

If anyone here is an accountant, they’d be krabs!

• 34 lesh // Jan 16, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Sorry to labour the point but responsibility for the crisis we’re facing rests four square with the Managing Director. Llamabias has had responsibility for the development of the club and the business and he failed in the summer to strengthen the squad and he’s gonna do so again.

Hasn’t he the ability to manage more than one transfer at a time? We’ve pursued Remy and failed and that’it… things appear to have ground to a halt!

We’re in danger of undoing all of the good work done in the past, we’re likely to lose top top players, we’ve a poor reserve stock and we’re likely to get relegated – for the second time under his watch!!!

He deserved the sack in the summer and more so now!!

• 35 irishtoon99 // Jan 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I fear the worst anyways and id say so does AS.. especially since we failed with Remi, as I said on the night the news broke that Qpr “stole” him from us, the ramifications could be huge from this.. Newcastle not willing to pay anything like the wages most other clubs in a similar position are willing to pay. But then we expect a big turn around is going to come?? don’t kid yourself, us not signing Remi will have deflated our already shell shocked team, and anyone decent (HBA, Cabaye) will be thinking, “right this clud lacks ambition and have showed their intent and they expect me to give all for half the wages i could get somewhere else, well in that case im off.” Make no mistake we wont survive with the current wheeling and dealing our lot are at, and Shearer knows that to..

• 36 toontillidie // Jan 16, 2013 at 11:48 AM

maybe we could ask shearer to come out of retirement lol and do a scholes for us considering we need a good striker

• 37 stuart no9 // Jan 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM

why is everyone slating shearer??? stating the obvious, maybe- but no one knows the question he was asked. he could have been asked a stupid question that required an obvious answer. com on lads give him a break.

• 38 BADMAG // Jan 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM

i remember a time when there would be riots if players were sold or not bought never relegated under freddy and no way would we have went bust.. apathy rules these days the fat man has numbed the lot of you

• 39 Sarf Lahndan Toon // Jan 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Jamiemac

Are you my Edinburgh-based nephew?

Shearer, eh? Loved him as a player, but as a pundit? Nah, mate, leave it…. As we say in Sarf Lahndan.

previous post: Fernandez Personally Persuaded Remy To Join QPR