Marseilles Likely To Beat Newcastle To Sissoko

News coming through that Newcastle are likely to miss out on one of their other January targets, as Moussa Sissoko looks set to join French club Marseilles.

mouusa sissoko hands up

Moussa Sissoko – will decide today whether to join Marseilles

The 22-year-old is out of contract this summer at Toulouse, and he has been offered out at £3.5M, which is a bargain for the 22 year-old, and we had thought Newcastle would be in quickly for the central midfielder, who has been compared to the great Patrick Vieira, the former Arsenal star. Newcastle have been missing some central midfield creativity since Cabaye has been out and this lad would be a good acquisition.

And it’s not surprising that a lot of European clubs are after the 22 year-old including Sunderland, Juventus, Galatasaray and Fiorentina, but there are reports in France today that Marseilles have met with his agents, and they have put in a bid for the Frenchman, who will decide today whether to join the former French Champions.

The news coming out of France today is that Marseilles may have only bid £2.5M for the midfielder, and if that’s the case, where are Newcastle?

There are at least two good reasons why Newcastle need to get good players in during the January, the first reason is that we need to strengthen the squad if we are to survive in the Premier League come May.

But the second is to show some of out top players, like Yohan Cabaye and Ben Arfa, that we have ambitions to become one of the best sides in England again.

Failure to bring in good players could put us in relegation trouble, and even if we survive, we could see some of our best players wanting to leave in the summer.

We have only 14 days left in this window to get some top players into the club.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Spreadthetoon

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:42 PM

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Rotonda heights

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:43 PM

surely not, what a shock !!!

• John Tudor

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM

not on their list for sure

• Spreadthetoon

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Ed
    “we had thought Newcastle would be in quickly for the central midfielder” – really? with our track record.

Unbelievable – what the hell is NUFC doing??????????????? Fed up!

• sweendog

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:45 PM

if we haven’t bid they we don’t want him .. surely 2.5 is a steal ..

• gonufc (up and Hatem)

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:46 PM

bloody hell, you just get prouder and prouder of our board and manager don’t you?

• toon1707

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I really don’t think we have plans to bring anyone else in I think debouchy was our 1 and only signing hope I am wrong but all optimism I had has been drained away by a terrible 17 days of January

• Jonny

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:49 PM

After reading through all pardrews managerial career stats, i have come to the conclusion that with few highs he is all in all a poor manager with the majority of clubs he has been at, fans calling for the sack. Not the guy to take us forward. Cheers for last season but, your time is unfortunately coming to an end. Not gonna happen though.

• richyg01

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I dont think AP has ever mentioned us being after a CM has he?

• BelfastMagpie

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Another one bites the dust..

• Mister Tuff

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM

The last I read about Sissoko a couple of hours ago in a french Sports site was that he wanted to stay until the summer. His manager or president was complaining that they would not get any money for him if he stayed until the summer -he thought it wrong due to the training the club had provided him.

• p

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM

repost:

I think they will keep Colo to the end of the season, sign a decent CB that Colo will help get settled in. The defense, notwithstanding injuries will be pretty solid and even without a new forward, there should be sufficient goals in Cabaye, HBA and Cisse to keep us up.

My feeling is one of the reasons Tiote has been crap this season is that he is so worried about how crap the defense behind him is + Cabaye has not been around in space to give the ball to. I think if had better team around him, he would also improve.

• GAZ09

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:53 PM

What is it with this NUFC, teams could be giving players away for free and we probably still wouldn’t sign them up, Ashley and he’s clowns really do have no ambition.

• John Tudor

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:53 PM

• John Tudor

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM

pardew and gaffer take note

• richyg01

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:55 PM

We are letting Sissoko go as we are gonna do a role reversal on QPR and take M’Villa from under their noses!

• nufcusa

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:56 PM

How can you beaten to a target that nobody knows was actually a target??

Fans wanted to see him signed and Ed wrote strories that were unfounded but we were never directly linked with him and never bid for him!!

Should we of….maybe but we didnt so this is yet another BS blog post which simply stirs discontent for no reason. Im sick of it.

• jmr271186

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I am a massively committed newcastle fan. I have supported them since I was 7 (now 26) I have a season ticket and travel from Sheffield every week. I have got to be honest, we are a shambles, not only against Brighton did we field the worst 11 I have ever seen in the black and white but we loose out on our number 1 target to a pathetic example of a premier league club. Now we seem to have lost out on another target we have been tracking for ages. What the hell is happening. We made massive strides last season and it was brilliant but we have gone backwards we should of made ourselves stronger when we were strong and everyone was on a high. Another example is yan m’villa I have just heard reports that reading and Fulham are in for him. Where are newcastle? What is happenings with the striker and centre backs? I can remember when I was a little lad on holiday with my dad when we signed Alan shearer, what a day,what a feeling to know we landed the best striker in the world, I now fear that I will never have that feeling again when it comes to new players arriving. I think remy was the closest to signing a big name for a while now. It’s not all about the name I know but there are only so many unknown gems we can find, look at arsenal now, yes they have a good side and manager but they are not a patch on what they used to be. I hate to say this but for the first time in a long time I have just lost complete confidence in what we are doing. I know that will piss a lot of people off but that’s just the way it feels, and I know while ever we are being run as a business and not a football club this feeling will re occur every transfer window. I will be at the game on Saturday but got to be honest not looking forward to it because this could really impact the way our season will end.

• John Tudor

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:57 PM

dont slate me they should be doing somthing pos+

• cyprus

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM

We’re already in relegation trouble

• noladonna

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM

don’t care buy a centre back ffs have we even bid for 1 centre back yet?! bloody comical just 1 centre back will keep us up and a loan in a striker or winger from city Sinclair or Guidetti

• Toon-Prodigy

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Rotonda,

I also agree, Pardew could of mixed it up, changed some things.

With Ba & Cisse, I genuinely believe Pardew had the best interests of the club at heart here. We were all desperate for them to click and he wanted to keep Ba at the club. Unfortunetly it never worked out and we all know now Ba would have left regardless if they had bagged 10 goals each at this point.

The only standout player for me has been Ba this season, and thats because his main motivation in the time he has been here was for his big move away. Hence, his really selfish disloyalty at being put out on the left. His market value and reputation was going down while he couldn’t score. He didnt care about the team doing well, he wanted to score goals to generate his big move. This shows what Ba’s main intentions were. Nufc as a team never entered his mind. Everyone else has under performed from day one, maybe with the exception of Santon. But imo, he is a little overhyped, he is shining in an under performing team.

I’ll say it again, imo, the problems go way deeper into the club than the manager. I don’t think Pardew is an excellent manager. He was a manager who did excellent last season with a full squad WITH very few injuries. He had that luxury of putting out a continous 1st 11. We had ryhtmn. We had the chance to go on runs. Our first 11 are very capable, sadly our bench and second string is very lacking and thats been a major problem this season due to the board. No quality in depth.

This window, we have to show our team some ambition and get in the bodys needed. I feel the squad has a massive lack of belief and confidence at the minute. And that is not just because of where we are sitting in the table. Its much more.

• Toon-Prodigy

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Be back later on tonight lads,

Have a pleasant evening

• daztoon

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Same old Pardew we made Remy an incredible offer but he turned it down not heard that before.What was the offer 40,000 a week a minute trolly dash round sports direct store and a 2 month rest bite on a wrong a loan

• gar69

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I’m a little bit worried by pardew’s comment when he said “I think we definitely need a player or two in this window to make sure of our Premier League status because we’re under a little bit of pressure. It should three or four players not one or two. However the way llambias deals with transfers I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t bring anybody in. I seriously hate that bloke.

• richyg01

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM

@21

I would look at someone like:
    Downing (Liverpool have told him he can leave),
    Milner,
    Sinclair

We do not have time for players outside the league to settle in, we need players who can hit the ground running.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM

This shower rarely get a transfer across the line without it being planned well in advance.

I’m thinking with @toon1707 that they haven’t got a plan B.

There are plenty of targets that seem reasonably cheap Sissoko for 3M come on. Get an offer in.

Danny Graham, Tom Ince, DeJong then all he lads who’s names begin with M’…

Fingers out. Get real and do it fast.

• jettson1971

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:02 PM

total management INCOMPETENCE plain and simple!! they not interestested in buying, its all spin spin spin!! Actions speak louder than words!
    We are run and controlled by a moron, and managed by a puppet!! players are eeing that now!
    Silence this week demonstrates that AP has nothing to say or is not allowed to say it!

• the1willy

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Another linked player….Ludovic Sane from ‘Nothing but Newcastle’ who state the source as being Sud-Quest

• GAZ09

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM

8 more years of this sh1t to look forward to!

• spitfire_

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I didn’t see that coming… not.

• tweaked

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM

dragging ass is gonna cost us another player, just fking gr8

• 89Norcal

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Sissoko would have been nice but let’s admit it, he’s not a player we desperately need right now. It was always going to be difficult to pull him in with a price tag like that on him.

• John Tudor

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM

hell possibly another dead end what do you think

• gonufc (up and Hatem)

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM

It seems Ashley won’t pay anything unless it’s below what any other club would pay.

Last year or before Moussa Sissoko for 2-4m would be an unreal deal, he was talked about as 10- 15m. Now when anyone can get him for 3.5 they don’t seem to want to pay that much.

Not that we were ever necessarily really in for Sissoko, he’s just an example.
    Same seems to go for wages.
    I suppose as well as paying less, this means that 1. You’ll never be in a bidding war and
    2. you have the easy get out of “it wasn’t financially viable”/”we won’t spend over our means” etc.

Presumably another reason why we get around 2% of the players we initially go in for.
    …..That or it’s a smokescreen done on purpose so they don’t have to buy anyone at all except Shefki Kuqi.

• DokToon

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:06 PM

this is beginning to sound like the movie script “major league”, where the owner field a team that no one believes can win, signs a bunch of miscreants and misfits, so she can move them… yet miraculously, they end up in the world series…

i hope thats not it… lol…

• John Tudor

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM

hhaaha well spoted

• remy D

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM

17 days in still nowt what a joke.fat man in profit yet again

• always look on the bright side of life

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Seriously I am a first time poster and the amount of negativity and pessemism today has been shocking. Somehow we according to some on here have gone from top 5 great team last season to relegation fodder with only a few ins and outs.
    Injuries have been shocking this season, the squad is paper thin which I agree hasnt been well planned or thought out but Pardew, Ashley and Llambias arent going anywhere.
    We need to stick with the team, whoever is put out, support them and get through the end of the season with out PL status in tact then look to reassess the squad size and overall quality.
    Everyone is getting so uptight over these so called missed players but no one at the club has even mentioned this lad and its just gossip and just because you think he is excellent from seeing him in a different league or from Fifa 13 or football manager doesnt mean he will come in, settle down and be in for the fight were going to be in till the end of the season.
    We need to realise Ashley is a successful businessman and I dont believe for one moment he wants the club to fail or get relegated, everyone seems to be taking gossip, rumours and press garbage as reality, give it till the end of the window and whatever we have, whether you agree or not, just support the best you can and be that 12th man to help out.
    A change of manager at this stage of the season wont help, I wouldnt want a player like Remy who went for the money, fair enough he wants to go there and I dont mind, but I dont wanna pay over the odd salary wise for anyone unproven in this league or level and I want someone who wants to pull on the shirt and want to be with us otherwise they will be all off in a shot whenever they get the chance a la Demba Ba.
    Honestly though, I dont know if its the weather or the comedown after xmas and the new year but some people just whinge on and take all thats said on forums and papers as gospel. Just relax and see what happens.