Alan Pardew Opens Up On The Coloccini Situation

We don’t know what’s at the bottom of the Coloccini affair, and Newcastle have rightly kept the actual situation a secret – to their credit – but we know it’s not that his wife is sick or that she cannot settle in Newcastle, where she’s been for almost five years now.

fabricio coloccini in action

Fabricio Coloccini – can find sanctuary on the field

It’s one of those delicate personal situations that Colo’s employers want to keep quiet as a respect to Colo himself, and they’ve done a good job of that.

But Alan Pardew has opened up a bit about other players he has managed in the past who had some personal problems, and Alan’s 14 years of management hopefully will stand him in good stead in this particular situation – although probably the best we can hope for is that Colo stays until the summer.

This is what the Newcastle manager said in the local press today:

“I can give you an example of a player I had at West Ham who had big gambling problems and another who had gambling and drink problems. Both those players found sanctuary on the football pitch. It was the only sanctuary they had. It was the only time they had that and they played well.”

“Players play through unbelievable situations. I can think of a player at Southampton who got a man-of-the-match award whose cousin had died two days previously in a stabbing incident.” “Everyone who kicks a football, once you play football, or sport, or tennis, everything is forgotten.”

“I don’t think that will impact on Colo.” “I think there’s a determination to play well and he did that at Norwich and I hope he does that on Saturday and I know our fans, and I went to a coaching course this week, and sometimes it is good to go to those things because you remember what you actually have got, the fantastic job I’ve got here and the fantastic fans.”

“I think they will show that to Colo on Saturday. They understand.”  “We’re going to sit down next week and hopefully iron out the issues and come to a conclusion where Colo stays.”  “That’s what I hope for as manager.”

The Newcastle fans as usual have been great towards Colo in this situation, even though he says he wants to leave the club – and one thing is for certain – and that is he will be playing tomorrow at St. James’ Park in what has become a huge game against Reading – a six point relegation struggle – to use Alan Pardew’s own words.

We need to win that game, and then on Monday we should learn the outcome of the case – but we’d be disappointed – make that completely gutted – if Coloccini is allowed to leave Newcastle  in mid-season.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM

CB would do it for me.

…that should even be possible since Kaka want away, Fabbrini is available for loan and Kone won’t be expensive.

The trick is a top notch CB (or getting Ashley to spend the money needed)

• Scottishmag1

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Repost:

Fixtures for Jan:

Sat 19 15:00 H Reading
    Tue 29 19:45 A Aston Villa

Two wins and three seniors in that make a difference then great
    One win and a loss no transfers – Someone has to go!
    No wins – No transfers – we are Fcuked

• ~Anita One Bites the Dust~

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Why are we after a left back?

It’s good to have cover… but ffs we need a CENTER back. and a ST/Winger type player.

• ~Anita One Bites the Dust~

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Actually… why am I worrying about this… it’s not like we are gonna get him over the line anyway. Not at the pace this club works at…

• toon smart

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM

@ Jesper

Gouffran is available as the president of Bordeaux said they tried to extend his contract but Gouffran doesn’t want to. Therefore, he is available as his contract finishes in 6 mths time.

• BelfastMagpie

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Was listening to a guy on talksport the other day, who said the personal problems dont exist. It’s just an excuse to get out of his contract. I really hope that isn’t true. I’d lose all respect for the guy, if that was the truth.

• John Tudor

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM

he doesnt want to come

• JackButler

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I can’t believe that San Loranzo are trying to put pressure and a timeline on getting Colo. It’s like saying ‘I really like your house, you have to move out next week so I can move in for nothing’.

There’s no way that a business man like Ashley will just allow him to walk away for nothing, not after paying out around 25 million in the transfer fee and wages

• toon smart

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I am surprised we have not made a bid for the CB Vegard Forren. £3.5-4 million GBP for a decent centre back, who seems to be open to a move to the UK.

• John Tudor

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

arghh marriner to ref bet he gives reading everything to make up for his cockup

• Pardew You Dog You

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Hello first time of posting big fan of the site and just wanted to share some information I was told don’t know if its been mentioned or not just noticed a story a couple of days ago about Jack Butland.

Im not claiming to be in the know but a guy who has been pretty spot on in the past has told me that Newcastle are very keen to bring Butland in January but are wanting to get him on the cheap surprise surprise. Hes not to be a replacement for Krul but second choice a bit better competition because Harps is off at the end of the season (apparently) and Elliott they dont feel is good enough.

Personally i think a keeper should be the last thing we bring in January.

That is all.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Hmmm…..That does read a lot more like it is personal problems with Colo rather than an issue with the board or Pardew himself. I’m back to square one again.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Let the club and Colo sort this out. Whatever happens, happens, if he is released, or allowed to go back home then you can bet for certain there is a serious issue at the bottom of it all, and there would need to be evidence of it shown to MA, Dl and co for this to happen. If it isn’t then expect him to stay, or more money come in for him.

• BelfastMagpie

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

You’re always at square one Ibiza.

• pawl250

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I think I would take on the following players if I were manager right now:-

Sissoko – 3m
    De Jong – 10m
    Alderweild – 6m
    M’Vila – 6m

Thats 25m, and we will have a stronger, much stronger side because of it.

Look 25m is not a massive amount, considering if we get M’vila, De Jong and Sissoko the likes of RTaylor, Ranger, Gosling and Obertan have to be pushed out the door.

I am dreaming though, hell I would take Sissoko, Graham and Alderwield thats what 2m, 5m. 6m = 13m! We were going to spend 8m on Remy!

Sissoko and Alderwield would be priority! This young kid from Nancy is a second thought, we should be aiming for this window to improve our squad for now. Not a few years time.

TEAM FOR READING –

—————————– KRUL ———————————
    DEBUCHY – WILLIAMSON – COLOCCINI – SANTON
    —————— ANITA ——- PERCH ————————
    JONAS —————- CABAYE ———— MARVEAUX
    —————————- CISSE ———————————-

Should be able to win with that team. Personally prefer Bigi over Perch, but Pardew will most likely field Obertan over Marveaux cos he is blind!

• JackButler

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Isimat-Nicolas Mirin looks likely to be off to Lille for 5 million euro’s

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Belfast….My dear mate, how are you enjoying silly season? I notice it hasn’t improved your wit 😉

• catchy in norway

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM

i think the club has fell apart sinse pardew signed the 8 year deal

ba has gone

HBA is saying he will stay and help until the end of the season, but would love to play for PSG

colo has an argument with pardew that none of new about, pardew goes public, now he wants to leave,,

HUGE PROBLEMS AT OUR CLUB, no one wants to sign, and the players we are now linked with are all players that play for bottom clubs or championship level,,

pardew and DL are the problem at our club

makes you want to cry

i wonder if at the meeting colo says the problem is pardew,, who would they let go?

colo value between 5-10 mil
    pardew 20 pence

• BelfastMagpie

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Just like most other windows ibiza. Pissed off lol

• Burni

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Aal reet lads?…

I’ve tried not to post too much recently as I’m aware it comes across as hate filled anger. But for years now…. not just last years…. but years we have needed newer and better centre backs. Every transfer window I’m one of the optimists who keeps waiting with bated breath for ma to bring what we need into the club. I’m so sick of expecting him to wake up and realise that he needs to bring in minimum of 3 players but slowly but surely the squad is gettin smaller….. I’m just so frustrated… I get hes trying to get us on a firm financial footing….. but for example Danny graham….. it appears we are not even slightly interested in him…. just n’gog….. who is shit why doesnt he get this guy in….. get some centre backs in…. keep everyone happy….. keep us in the premier league. I genuinely feel like we we may be relegated…. but hey ho…. I like everyone will just keep taking it

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Belfast….It wouldn’t be the same if we weren’t. Oh the joys of the toon.

Oh well, chin up, I’d be devastated if you found yourself in the situation where you became totally disillusioned with Newcastle and didn’t come on the blog anymore…who would be left to make me feel better about myself?

• headtheball

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM

When I was manager of West Ham blah blah, when I was manager of Southampton blah blah.
    Soon he will be able to say when I was manager of Newcastle as he is on par with Jack Charlton who was also magnificent. Close the door on the way out.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:00 AM

BZAK12

You say about Pardew

”Just go and put us out of our misery”

You’ve hit the nail on the head there. It is endless misery with Pardew as a manager. He fluked one good season, believed his own hype and has been found out big time with his arrogance, stubborness and ridiculous 8 year contract.

If Cabaye had a go at Sammi then good, he’s the laziest player I have ever seen. Can’t imagine where he gets it from !

Even with a few injuries that all teams get, the quality we have in our squad is incredible compared to the likes of all the other teams from 6 / 7th place down.

Debuchy, Cabs and Benny 3 current French internationals for starters.

But if you were Benny, a good manager would be building a team around your flair and creativity, not asking you to run the other way to cover Simpson all the time. Wenger will give him the stage he needs unfortunately. Ba will get rotated and rested at Chelsea etc etc. Professionalisn which we stink at from the board room to managerial level.

Pardew has just been littered with incompetence from the get-go this season.

If it’s on tomorrow and it’s the same old, same old at home against a bottom newly promoted club, I won’t be able to resist a chorus of ” you don’t know what you’re doing.”

Not all managers are high maintenance and even allowing for a few injuries, I’m sure a proper manager would be doing better than this with the resources at hand or find ways around it like playing a sweeper to cover willo’s and colo’s lack of pace, like playing forwards in their right places etc, etc.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Rotonda…I know we’ve covered this debate a lot so wont get in to a big one, however, do you not think using Debuchy as one of the internationals at Pardews disposal a little silly as he’s only been here for one game?

• croftus5678

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM

still think if we get a cheap 2mil ngog that leftback but most importatly a cb we will have a decent squad to get us into mid table but we will need another striker and cb before next season .

• croftus5678

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:24 AM

hahahahahahahaha the lad cracks me up “we should have signed him he would have been a right joker in the dressing room (great for moral)”

• Rotonda heights

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Ibiza

I was pointing out what he has to choose from generally and a lot of other managers would kill for the quality we have.

Sorry for being silly I do apologise

• SeanNufc87

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Rotunda, all you do is call for pardew’s head, if you watched hba in ligue1 you would know he was disruptive, selfish and made the team look poor, we got him for 5 mil and now hes one of the best prospects of the premier league BECAUSE pardew got the best out of him. As for playing strikers out of position, last season when ba moved out to the left cisse scored all our goals, this season ba moved back central and HE scored all our goals so what would you change? And finally we are STILL top of the injury table so no every other club doesn’t deal with this. No doubt you will ignore this though in favour of not considering the facts before spouting your same and only opinion

• Rake

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM

LADS!
    I’v said this a few times but do you really believe Ashely would sign Pardew to a contract where he cannot sack him if he is not performing?
    You really believe Ashley would let his investment go down the pan and have no options to sack Pardew if we are in the bottom three by a certain date?