The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa Interview – An Honor To Be At Newcastle

8:32 am, Wednesday, January 23rd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 33 Comments

The signing of French International defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa was announced by Newcastle last night, and his singing has been warmly received by Newcastle fans – and the 3 times capped French International has given his first interview on nufcTV.

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa 98

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – Newcastle’s new signing

Yanga-Mbiwa was born in Bagui in the Central African Republic, and his family moved him to to Port-de-Bouc, near Marseilles, and he finally joined Montpelier as a teenager, and last season he led that team to the French Championship for the very first time.

The 23 year-old had this to say last night:

“It’s like a child who one day grows up and has to fly the nest, if you like.”  “It was a difficult decision to leave Montpelier; it was the club that trained me, the club where I made my debut, where I got into the first team and where we won the championship.”

“So it was difficult to leave, but Newcastle held out their hand to me, they welcomed me. One day I had to leave and it has always been a dream to come and play in England.”  “First of all Newcastle really showed that they wanted me a lot which was something that was obviously very important in me coming to Newcastle.”

“Secondly, there were a lot of other French players here which is something which really helped me since I don’t know England too well. It helps me to settle into life here and to get used to football in this country.”  “And also, very importantly, Newcastle is a massive club and it’s an honor to be here.”

“It attracts a lot of French players and it appeals to a lot of French players because of their style of play and also because of the wonderful team spirit that they have here at Newcastle, which is very good for French players. So I’m really looking forward to coming here and discovering that for myself.”

“Those players you mentioned are an integral part of the new French team that is coming through now,” he said. “They’re the main players who are chosen first to play for France, basically.” “So I think it is important for me to continue to be able to play with these players so they can help me to make progress in my own game – and yes, why not to continue playing for France, which is also one of my own targets and objectives.”

“First of all I think I’ve got quite a big challenge here at Newcastle to focus on – to give my maximum effort, concentration and involvement to the team and to play football.” “My family told me that they understand what I’m doing isn’t easy and they’re very understanding.”

“They told me to take my time to really focus on my football. Then once I’m stable, once I’m settled in and everything is better, they will gradually come over and spend time with me.”

Yanga-Mbiwa has seen both Yohan Cabaye and Ben Arfa thrive at Newcastle and Cabaye has become one of the best players on the French side, and we see no reason why Yanga-Mbiwa cannot become an even better player than he is right now – in the famous black and white stripes of Newcastle United.

He  is on a  five and a half year contract and will wear the number 13 shirt – and it’s great to have Mapou on board!

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Contracts · Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa · Newcastle News

33 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:35 AM

So the French boys like hoof ball then? :)

• 2 BigKirky // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Simply brilliant!

• 3 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Seems a very genuine and respectful lad. Hopefully he can have a long career here and help us win something at last.

• 4 Dannyo // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I didn’t think we’d get him. I thought he would just stay a “dream target”.
    He’s the type you expect every big club in Europe fight for, and now he’s at NUFC.
    DL, MA, I applaud you. Well done, very, very well done.

• 5 BigKirky // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:37 AM

The team – Williamson & Simpson = not-so hoofball.

• 6 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:39 AM

torq

from previous…

Do you think the amount of players we have had over the years who end up spending a lot of time on the treatment table for muscle injuries there is something wrong with our facilities? coaching? seems uncanny the amount of players we have had that are constantly injured from a young age.

• 7 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Kirky…Was only playing as he mentioned liking our “style of play” and the amount of stick Pardew has had this season. I have little doubt that once he has removed the problem players the performances will improve.

• 8 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Rubin Kazan remain favourites to snare Yann M’Vila, but Rennes have confirmed a new offer from England has arrived. QPR have been in talks but Rennes general manager Pierre Dreossi now says a new bid from England has come and he would only confirm that it was not from Newcastle. Other Premier League clubs such as Arsenal, Tottenham, Fulham and Reading have also been linked with moves for the 22-year-old midfielder in recent weeks.

Ashley out? :)

• 9 county down magpie // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Great signing and a real statement of intent. If we get haidara, gouffrann, sissokho through the door then we will climb the table no bother and it will set us up for a great year next year.

VIVE LE TOON

• 10 geordie157 // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Hard to tell if he’s Colo’s replacement or not. We need one more centre back in ideally.

• 11 TorqToon // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM

TS – Maybe not so much a reflection on the treatment of injured players – but maybe they aren’t conditioned to the level of post injury fitness and rehab that they need to be. This is 9/10 due to the demands of the English league and the number of matches being played.

I’ve seen our medical facilities first hand and they are some of the best equipment – with some of the best and most respected professionals there is – we are very fortunate. I just think sometimes players are being rushed through rehab in order to get back in the fold. This doesn’t just happen at NUFC but across the board really.

• 12 jeff // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Ed fix the title……

Didnt know nufc was an american team

• 13 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Ibiza…why did you wake up with a smile on your face ;) lol

*Lamearse is a man I don’t understand and I don’t see what he brings to the club. I get Mike don’t have the time and know how to run a football club, but then surely he should employ someone who do? :-)

And since Mike’s no Geordie appointing someone would go a long way I think

• 14 TorqToon // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Repost –
    If anybody STILL isn’t in a good mood this morning –

I’ve read several reports of QPR fans slamming Yann M’Villa for “chasing the money over coming to QPR!” in relation to his ever probable move to Rubin Kazan.

What a bunch of jokers…!

The ONLY way they will get M’Villa is by throwing money at the deal. Then where is the ‘fans’ argument then??

He was promised that Remy, Diame and Sissoko would also be brought to the club – which explains the hold up.

Still think he will go Kazan though.

• 15 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:53 AM

torq

thanks…maybe I just think we have more as I read more stories about us and don’t see all the other clubs injuries.

there are so many though.

I read a report last year that said when fabregas joined arsenal they were shocked at how poor his fitness was. I would have presumed arsenal were one of the fitter teams the amount they run and press….so maybe we undercook our CV training in this country.

• 16 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Jesper…No idea mate, just in a good mood I guess.

• 17 geordie157 // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:53 AM

French xi is getting closer if we get these players signed. Debuchy, Mbiwa, haidira, cabaye, amalfitano, sissoko, Obertan, Marveaux, Ben arfa, gouffran, oh and moyo.

• 18 TorqToon // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Jesp – we have said this before mate! He needs to get rid of dekker and bring in an ‘ambassador’ to work along side GC.

Sage (I think?!) suggested Nobby Solano and that’s a great shout.

• 19 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Torq….One of the funniest things I’ve read in a while…poor QPR fans…someone willing to throw even more money at a player than them.

• 20 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:55 AM

torq

Can’t see m’villa going to kazan…they are currently under a transfer embargo for unpaid fees to a player…so cannot sign a player in january.

• 21 Hebburn Mag // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:55 AM

This just shows how right I was when I came on here a few days ago and was slated for saying, be patient and give Ashley time and he’ll turn it around. Ashley is the type of owner who has to see you doing really bad to pay up and improve the squad. We’ve brought 2 starting 11 players in and by the sounds of it maybe another 2 this week in Grouffan (who stated on his twitter account that he would be joining today) and Sissoko, if we bring these players in a dont loose anyone, even (williamson) this will have been probably the best transfer window in a few years for sure.

• 22 TorqToon // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:56 AM

TS – I’m sure that plays a part. Most prem clubs do an hour of CV training during normal season which I don’t feel is enough.

Pre-season Cardiovascular exercise is intense – so we just need to find a middle value imo.

• 23 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:56 AM

torq

not me on the nobby solano…I think he would be a good ambassador but we need somebody with football and business sense to do llambias’ job.

• 24 Lilongwe Geordie // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Whether he is a Colo replacement or not, the Colo issue needs sorting ASAP. If they can’t afford him, tell them to go whistle. If he wants to buy himself out of his contract, that’s 3 years at roughly 60,000 a week, that will be £9,360,000 please Colo. Otherwise get your head on the game, knuckle down and drag us away from this mess that we are in.

• 25 TorqToon // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:57 AM

TS – Yes but the word is a backer has agreed to pay the unpaid fee’s to clear the debt and lift the embargo.

I’m not a fan of the player as a person – good footballer – but not a very nice person.

• 26 TorqToon // Jan 23, 2013 at 8:59 AM

TS – With the wage that Lambias brings in, you could employ 2 people for that role, somebody to work the business and financials and one person to act as public relations and an ambassador.

• 27 sula // Jan 23, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Great news finally my day starts of with some good news for a change. Really really really hoping that sissoko and a quality striker are next. With these 2 in there surely cannot be any excuses now. Would love to see the reaction of Toite if Sissoko signs hopefully will wake him up aswell.

• 28 Geordiedoonsooth // Jan 23, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Ed I know you’ve lived in the US for a long time but I wish you would spell the correct English way. It’s HONOUR not HONOR I hate the way the yanks miss-spell everything :-)

• 29 Mund30 // Jan 23, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Hope we have another day of great news and confirm Sissoko signing. We got Mbiwa when only a week ago i didnt think it was possible, now hopefully we pull out another coup and bring in Sissoko. Who in my eyes got all the capabilities to be a world class player like Mbiwa

Been a while but it finally feels good to be a Newcastle fan once again.

• 30 Ash toon // Jan 23, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Get Shearer in upstairs, that’ll keep Parsnip on his toes. There’s probably already people there for the business side of things. Shearer would be good for attracting top players especially strikers cos he was probably their idol. What you guys think of that little nugget? Or is there bad blood between him and Jabba?

• 31 Greebol1892 // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:58 AM

A top notch player and should slot in very quickly…. “As soon as you get the ball, just pass it to the keeper or lump it forward son.” Simple as.

• 32 Gazza18 // Jan 23, 2013 at 2:00 PM

The title could have been ‘onneur (as in French) instead of honour and honor…. :)

• 33 Gazza18 // Jan 23, 2013 at 2:01 PM

He definitely said it that way :)

previous post: Newcastle Sign Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – Five And A Half Year Deal