The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Young Player Really Cares About Newcastle United

10:04 am, Wednesday, January 23rd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 53 Comments

Well maybe some of us Newcastle fans weren’t the only ones who couldn’t sleep too well after that nightmare last 30 minutes against  Reading, when the unthinkable happened and we allowed Reading to beat us 2-1 with two sloppy goals conceded in the last 20 minutes – but we’ve lost a lot of points that way this season – the game at Stoke is another good example of how we leaked two goals late in the game to lose it.

davide santon new strip[

David Santon – couldn’t sleep on Saturday night

But at least one Newcastle player had difficulty sleeping on Saturday night after the game, and it’s Italian International  Davide Santon who seems to love it at Newcastle, and he has been interviewed today in the local press:

“I couldn’t sleep after the Reading game on Saturday night because I was so disappointed. I was going though in my mind what had happened and that kept me awake. It was difficult to take.” “What I would say to the fans is that the players always give 100% on the pitch.” “Nobody goes out there to lose.”

“This is a tough moment for all of us. We are training hard and have been doing everything that we should, but then we get to the games and we’ve lost too many. There have been four or five games recently that we couldn’t take anything from.”

“We got a great result against Norwich, but we needed a win against Reading and they scored two goals in the second half.” “So we are in a difficult situation. We have a big game against Aston Villa next week and then Chelsea at home, and we need to keep going, concentrate and stay together.”

“The problem is that there has been lapses in concentration and we are not scoring enough goals.”  “I think we deserve to be higher in the league. In the team we have good and important players. But this season we have had different problems.”

“We are not solid in defense as we were last year and in attack, for example, every ball you gave to Papiss Cissé ended as a goal last season. But it has been different this time. Papiss has been very unlucky and not scored as many goals.”

“The whole team has been unlucky at times, especially Papiss. If we had been four goals up at half-time against Reading nobody could have complained. We scored just one, we didn’t concentrate 100% in the second, and it was 2-1 Reading.”

“There is not a nice atmosphere in training. We are all together and friends, but nobody is happy with the results and where we are.”  “One thing you need to know is that everyone cares about the club. I care so much about Newcastle United.”

“I owe the club so much because they gave me a chance to play in the Premier League when I was so young. The manager has given me a lot of confidence, as have my team-mates, in my two years here.”

“The same goes for our fans because they have helped me so much. If I do something wrong in a game they never have a go at me. That is important.”

Davide has had a very good season in his second season on Tyneside,  and his good play has attracted interest from clubs like AC Milan and Roma in his home country, but there’s no way this lad will leave Newcastle.

And the good news is we still have 15 games to go in the league – and with the reinforcements that are being brought in, surely we can start to climb the Premier League and get away from the relegation zone.

That’s true isn’t it?

But we also have to cut out the stupid mistakes at the back that were all too evident on Saturday, when we again lost a game from a winning position –  and that was our worst league result of the season – and hopefully as low as things will go this season.

The bottom line is we need to be in the Premier League come the end of May.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Davide Santon · Newcastle News · Premier League

53 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ketsbaia9 // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:08 AM

If Coloccini leaves, we need to pay out and sign Toby Alderweireld. We also need to sign Sissoko and a better striker than Wolfswinkel.

• 2 ajcrawfs // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Legend! hopefully we will see this guy in a more advanced role against villa!

• 3 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:09 AM

yorkymag…Tiote could be a goner, but not before summer I would think!

*along with Lamearse ;) lol

Actually in the summer (depending on how we do this season) we could be seeing a huge clear-out…me think.

• 4 yorkymag // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Santon cares ,but as a full back I have my doubts

• 5 Edmond // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I like Santon, I reckon he’s going to be a very good player in a few years

• 6 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Note to Santon…I found drinking excessively on Saturday helped me to sleep.

• 7 geordie157 // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM

If Colo goes, then Sakho or Alderwiereld would do nicely. Or even possibly Hangeland if the price is reasonable.

Sounds like a good lad Santon, if/when he gets better defensively mainly with his positional sense he’ll be one hell of a player.

• 8 Sazzer // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM

No Luuk De Jong? Only Siem De Jong and Van Wolfswinkel.
    Transfermarkt probably got Luuk wrong.

Bring Wolf now, and Siem in summer if he doesn’t want to come now.

• 9 lgnufc // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM

can someone tell me if wolfswinkel is worth his 10m price tag? ive just taken a look on youtube (yes, youtube scouting) and he doesn’t look anything particularly special. 1/2 of his goals were penalties anyway. but what are your thoughts lads?

• 10 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Any news on Colo?

• 11 WWYCD // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Good words from Santon I do like the kid but he still has a lot to learn about his position and once Colo goes hes going to be in for a tough time from our back line I hope for a more vocal captain as well

Also whats was the noise again this morning about Sakho?

• 12 Edmond // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I think we will win around 8 games till end of season, lose 3 and draw 4, that wont be bad, just hope everyone stays next season!!

• 13 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Did I see someone say their was a press conference this morning? Can’t find the comment now, was it on Sky and at what time?

• 14 Markaccus // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM

So, now that we might sign van Wolfswinkle, he’s not good enough? Are you EVER happy with transfers, Ketsbaia9??

We should get another CB though if colo leaves, but anyone better than williamson will do, mbiwa and staylor would be first choice, with perch and whoever we replace willo with (if we do) mbiwa is colos replacement I think. I’d like us to sign a wing foward as well as wolfswinkle, then all positions are backed up.

• 15 Shiremagpies // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM

big kirky 51on last post, he would have surely offered a couple of donnay tracksuits in varying colours to finish the look off…. ohhhhhh the images

• 16 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Watching most of the Toons games
    Santon in my eyes would make a very good ball carrying midfield player

• 17 ToonAndy // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Good lad Santon :) hopefully the results will start changing buddy!…

Whoever suggested Dries mertens is a good shout… Quality player…

In

Anita
    Tiote
    Marveaux
    Gouffran

Dreaming???

• 18 Edmond // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Im hoping we actually do well in the europa league, thats the only thing we can push for now, and i like beating european teams it makes Nufc look dominant

• 19 geordie157 // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM

If we were considering getting shot of Tiote, then surely we’d be in for Diame now. Although Capoue is french so maybe he’s more likely.

I think with Sissoko, Cabaye fit etc Tiote will come good again, its been too easy for him to get into the side. Same goes for a few others.

Tiote is still young, whereas i don’t think Jonas will come good again, plus he’s prob one of highest earners at the club so maybe we should offload him in the summer.

From the current squad, in the summer, we can offload Ranger, Jonas and Wilo, plus the two out of contract players Xisco and Simpson. We should now have learned from last summer so they’ll be replaced.

• 20 BigKirky // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Santon sometimes does get caught going forward, however, it’s not always his fault as he’s playing in a team. The team know that his marauding runs put him well out of position, therefore another players should be covering his general area in the event of a quick counter attack. In some cases they do.

Plus, the ability to beat a man in the Premier League is invaluable. I’m surprised I haven’t really seen anyone comment on the fact that, due to his runs, he is totally disrupting the marking and stability which the other team has in place, therefore automatically opening up space for more of our players.

His crossing isn’t as great as Nobby’s used to be, but then again, it isn’t worse than a host of names I could mention.

When he attacks, he doesn’t just attack the space, he goes past people into the next area of space, opening up all sorts of options, and this is with or without crossing the ball.

I think he’s a quality player and still has much more to learn. Bargain at £5m.

• 21 King Arfa // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM

there is a press conferance this morning all the cameras are set up ready to go

• 22 WWYCD // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Lugano has left PSG on loan so I doubt they would let Sakho leave as well unless they bring in another CB

• 23 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Arfa…Do you know what time and is it meant to be on SS? Anyone have a link?

• 24 geordie157 // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Mertens, Dzsudzsák or Griezmann would be brilliant signings.

• 25 WesJameson // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM

@ Edmond // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I agree, i think we should go full tilt at the europa league this season….

in the words, of the immortal KK…i Would LOVE it, just LOVE it…hahahaha

• 26 Bambams // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM

From SKY…….

‘ Bordeaux striker Yoan Gouffran at Newcastle for medical’

I must be latest ITK

• 27 MrMojoRisin76 // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Breaking SSN Gouffran in Newcastle for medical.

• 28 King Arfa // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:26 AM

pic.twitter.com/GJqfpcy7

• 29 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:26 AM

>It’s Saturday night and Ibiza can’t sleep<

"Now I lay me down not to sleep
    I just get tangled in the sheets
    I swim in sweat three inches deep
    I just lay back and claim defeat

Chapter read and lesson learned
    I turned the lights off while she burned
    So while she's three hundred degrees
    I throw the sheets off and I freeze

My hands are locked up tight in fists
    My mind is racing, filled with lists
    of things to do and things I've done
    Another sleepless night's begun

There's so much joy in life,
    so many pleasures all around
    But the pleasure of insomnia
    is one I've never found
    With all life has to offer,
    there's so much to be enjoyed
    But the pleasures of insomnia
    are ones I can't avoid

…Lids down, I count sheep
    I count heartbeats
    The only thing that counts is
    that I won't sleep
    I countdown, I look around

Who needs sleep?"

*an Ode to Ibiza ;) lol

• 30 Bambams // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:27 AM

According to SKY ………
    5under1and, Everton and Arsenal were all after him…..

• 31 WesJameson // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:27 AM

@ BigKirky // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Also 100% agree with you there

Like i said a few days ago, he is more in the mould of Gareth Bale, and like i also said and maintain…. if Santon, turns into half the player Bale is….we have a tremendous player on our hands….and like you say 5million, is a complete bargain

• 32 King Arfa // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM

i havnt seen any timings mate but the bloke who put the pic on @ ChrisFordTV he says Mbwia is fashionably late lol

• 33 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Cheers Jesper….but I want to know about the press conference!!! What channel lads???

• 34 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM

This window is getting better and better by the day. Slow start but ashley sent llambias on holiday and cracked on himself.

• 35 outsidethebox // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM

santon and debuchy go foreward but they should be covered would like to see anita on left midfield and cabaye on right ..with tiote / (love to see sissoko ) and marv in centre…midfield needs an organiser suggest cab as captain

• 36 Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Arfa…Thanks mate…off to a good start then :)

• 37 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM

people saying they want doumbia from CSKA…why?

no doubt he is a talent but we don’t want two Senegalese strikers again….it leaves us woefully short in january when AFCON is on.

Same as having diame and tiote…both will usually be away in Jan.

• 38 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Ibiza…you are welcome ;)

…I don’t have that info, sorry mate! lol

• 39 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM

well..every other jan

• 40 outsidethebox // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM

going to be some midfield when benny gets back..got to play to our strengths with 5 man midfield …

• 41 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM

TS…and apparently sometimes every Jan ;)

• 42 WWYCD // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Photos on twitter showing players arriving at Benton I’d say 95% sure Gouffran and Haidara are there and the third one looks like Sissoko to me but its fuzz

• 43 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM

TS…I am counting on FIFA to sort out ACON before 2015!

• 44 King Arfa // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM

ibiza

no dramas mate im really excited haha good day today for the mighty toon

• 45 WWYCD // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Could be Mbwia for his presser actually

• 46 BigKirky // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Indeed, Wes. Carver said himself, the coaches at the club see him more as a winger in the future. My favourite player behind Ben Arfa.

• 47 Transfer Sage // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:40 AM

jesper

I don’t mind it every two years…not ideal but does provide much needed finances into those countries.

Is the heat so intense it cannot be played in the summer? I don’t know enough about the climate.

Surely the size of africa you will have varying temps in summer and winter in different countries.

So surely you could have a summer tournament followed by a winter one 2 years later….much like the ashes series between england and australia in cricket

• 48 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 23, 2013 at 10:51 AM

TS…the reason why they don’t want to move it to June/Juli is because of the heat in some parts of Africa yes!

…but every other tournament has complyed and moved it to fit into the FIFA International calender. Blatter wants the ACON moved at 2015 the latest.

*I must admit i agree with Blatter. Look at all the fuzz there is each year when clubs have to release players. And both clubs and National sides are stretched as it is.

• 49 miggy // Jan 23, 2013 at 11:02 AM

press conference coming up very shortly

• 50 toonluvva // Jan 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM

SSN were listing both Colo & Santon as potential departures this month.

• 51 veto // Jan 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM

top quality lad santon , always rated him and i was over the moon when we signed him , keep the faith

• 52 Cardboy // Jan 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Well done Santon, some decent comments. Committed and it shows on the pitch week in week out. You can tell it hurts him if we lose. Some others don’t appear to feel the same intensity. Nearly always first to show his appreciation to the crowd after the game along with Krul. The team is better with him in it thats for sure. He just needs cover when he ventures forward. Cos he certainly offers a threat when he does go forward. Great young player for the club, now and going forward into the future. HWTL

• 53 aidantoon // Jan 23, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Santon is getting better but still has a lot to learn.
    next season will see him get even better!!!!

hope to get sissoko before villa game as he is really
    need to get Colo situation sorted though as this is holding the club back.
    cabaye to be our next captain with Saylor vise!!!!
    toon toon!!!!