The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Yanga-Mbiwa Turns Down Other Clubs To Join Newcastle

9:55 am, Thursday, January 24th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 33 Comments

Our new signing 23 year-old Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa has revealed he turned down other offers from other clubs to join Newcastle United this week, because he thinks Newcastle can provide him with the platform he needs to further his football career.

Mapou -Yanga- mbiwa 0

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa in action for Montpelier

Yanga-Mbiwa has been interviewed many times since he signed along the dotted line on Tuesday night – and he comes across as a great guy and an excellent professional, and he could make his debut next Tuesday night at Aston Villa – if the reports that Fab Coloccini has left Newcastle to return to South America are true.

This is what Mapou said:

“There were other offers, but it was Newcastle who showed the greatest interest in signing me.” “The fact there are so many French people here, and the fact the club showed their willingness to really support me and help me settle, was very important.”

“I don’t have any ideas or thoughts about relegation in my head. I believe that is not going to happen.” “I know where we are, I know our position in the league and it’s not where this club should be. So it is a big challenge and we must move as fast as we can out of the relegation zone.”

“I want us to be in a good position in the league and why not reach the Champions League as well and have some success in the Europa League.”

As we mentioned yesterday,  Mapou could well be a future captain on Tyneside – and manager Alan Pardew may have to appoint a new one,  if we cannot get Fabricio Coloccini to stay at Newcastle because of a personal problem – but we have no idea what his personal family problem is – so it’s hard to comment on the situation.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa · Newcastle News

33 responses so far ↓

• 1 ajcrawfs // Jan 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Really good quotes from this lad, makes me excited for the future!

• 2 toonarmydownsouth // Jan 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM

20toonarmydownsouth // Jan 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Sir toon
    Still think that sissoko will come this window plus a CF im a bit suprised (pleasntly like) about the amount of 1st team signings but also suprised at the lack of youth signings given the amount we releases maybe a futher clear out and proper investment in it in the summer??

• 3 John Tudor // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM

i dont want to be the harbinger of doom but imo there could be 1 or 2 departures of the purple kind on deadline day i would love see hangeland for simpson +cash or ranger

• 4 Hatem's better than Messi // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Good signing.
    Sissoko next and Siem deJong now or in the summer please.

• 5 tooned in // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I am pretty sure we will sell no one unless it is for ‘silly money’ £15m for Krulster or ‘£20m for Tiote’ – i am also pretty sure that neither HBA or Cabster will be sold as MA and Parsnip are building a team around these guys

• 6 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM

TS…even Alan Hansen came out recently (not that I rate his opinion any higher than others) suggesting SAF should stick with Lindegaard.

This was what SAF said back in december I think:

“…Anders Lindegaard is currently earning the right to keep his place in goal after some solid displays between the posts for Manchester United.”

and I even admitted the problem has been the rotation:

“It’s good that you’ve got two competing for a position – that applies to anywhere in the team.

“I am not happy to rotate all the time – I don’t think that creates consistency. That’s why I kept Anders in on Wednesday [against West Ham]. I could easily have changed it again but as I said before he has done nothing wrong.

“David is fine. He is still young. He had that tooth infection and had to have two teeth out which meant his jaw was quite badly swollen. We gave him that time off. But Anders has come in and done well.

“It is one of those situations where there is no actual reason to leave Anders out in terms of form. Hopefully David understands that – there is no long term issue there.”

If SAF don’t buy another GK before Feb. 1th. I think Lindegaard will be first choice very quickly (he cannot afford not to just because he paid alot of money for De Gea).

*At least that is my thinking at the moment (but then again I also remember that people said when SAF bought Schmeichel back in the days for nothing)

• 7 tooned in // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM

it also looks like, if we are given the ‘silly money’ we have learnt from our mistakes and lined up Butland and Sissokko as replacements

Things looking up!

• 8 Transfer Sage // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I think we should do a swap…the ameobi’s for the de jongs.

I like shola but his days are numbered for anything other than a low order squad player.

• 9 brighter // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Ed. We have to think that Mbiwa should come in for Williamson.NOT COLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 10 yo-yo // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Just because these guys are paid obscene sums of money for kicking an air filled bladder around, and some think they are gangstas and there’s tons of prima donnas, doesn’t mean most aren’t decent lads with modesty, integrity and a good work ethic. Sound role models for the yoof of today.
    Sissokho and Mapou both sound like they’re very good guys.
    We’re well out of it with Remy and Ba
    Now let’s hope Colo lives up to his image too.

• 11 pawl250 // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Does anyone know if Colo showed up to train today?

Personally I think he will stay now. Wish we had a game this weekend in the PL so we could get the ball started with our recovery.

Anxious waiting!

• 12 Markaccus // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Feb 1th???? Oneth??? :D

• 13 Transfer Sage // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM

jesper

Interesting quotes.

I just think if he wanted lindegaard as number1 he would be in by now. He seems to have backed de gea for whatever reason.

I dont know enough of either to say one id definitely better than the other. But from the bits I have seen i prefer de gea….but not by much.

• 14 WWYCD // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM

So Colo walked out on Newcastle last night then came back for training today? These news papers have made me understand what a complex soul he is before all of their stories I believed peoples first hand opinions that he was a very good professional but now I know otherwise…hes worse than Nile Ranger!

• 15 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Markaccus…1st :D lol

• 16 sirtoongospel // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Tads,

Yeah I agree. It seems that Ashley is finally investing properly but the priority has changed. You get the impression that someone (I would guess Donachie) has told them that several young players were ready. And they clearly weren’t. But in the Summer expect to see you development squad get a massive overhaul including coaches. They need to know who is ready and who isn’t.

Now it seems they have written off several who aren’t good enough and Pardew is desperate to protect Campbell and Streete who have got all the tools. Inman is very highly rated, especially by Pedro who found him. Bradden had the tools to be a great player.

But yeah mate, hard to be confident with so many false dawns in the past, but has the penny finally dropped?

• 17 WWYCD // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM

pawl
    Scott Wilson ?@Scottwilsonecho
    Coloccini at #NUFC training ground this morning despite last night’s departure stories. Whole thing’s a mess, but nothing’s set in stone yet

• 18 John Tudor // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM

might have come in to get his gear ,dunno why if he has walked no footy end of.

• 19 Markaccus // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Colo must have a tardis! If he effed off to dagoland last night, and came back for training this morning he must be the next Doctor!

• 20 MrMojoRisin76 // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I blame the fans for the Collo situation,we did all sing he can shag our wive’s,if 52,000 men sang that to me i’d have to buy some industrial strength wellies and hire a mobile clinic.

• 21 Transfer Sage // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I want to see what happens with colo at villa….hopefully he will be in the side along with mbiwa.

• 22 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM

TS…I do tend to agrre with you to some extend. As you say if SAF wanted Lindegaard as first choice he would be it by now.

…but if he wanted De Gea as first choice he would be that by now as well. He keeps rotating them and I think deep at heart he wants De Gea to come good because he paid crazy money for him (and he got potential).

*at the end of the day it’s the results that counts – I think Lindegaard would be the safe choice of the two (but he’s got to grab the chance when he gets it and stay injurie free. The injuries have been his problem at Man Utd.)

• 23 Transfer Sage // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM

jesper

I think lindegaard is the safe choice…but de gea is the potential world class choice.

Lindegaard for me will always develop into a solid prem league level goal keeper.

De gea has chance to be average or brilliant…think SAF will take the chance on him. De gea has featured the most over the last month (cant remember if lindegaard has played)

• 24 TorqToon // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Yo-yo – A great post mate. Well said.

Yanga and Sissoko are 2 of the most down to earth, hard working players I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with.

As you say – not even in the same ball park as Remy and (unfortunately), Demba Ba.

• 25 numba9 // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:18 AM

To the man ure fans on this blog go and chat red rubbish on that site

• 26 yo-yo // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:28 AM

SIRTOON

Problem seems to not be lack of ability but appalling work ethic and bad attitude. Lack of commitment was obvious at Brighton.
    Shipping out two or three trouble makers might help
    The marginal development players ought to go to teams like Bradford or St Mirren (who do play Celtic 4 x a year) for a full season and if they’re not up for stepping up a level, sign them out.
    Those lads who are mobility impaired because they have their heids up their own jaxsies need to go asap.

• 27 toonincheek // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Can’t see any big money offers coming in for Tiote – he’s not had a good season – so far.
    I can’t help but wonder if that is down to him trying to reign in his aggre…… err commitment.

Yo Cabaye is another matter.
    So is Wor Tim.

• 28 toonincheek // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM

As for Colo – if he left for footballing reasons – that would be unprofessional – and most atypical.

For family reasons – well, life is about family before football.
    unless your wife tries to ban you from away games!

• 29 toonincheek // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Ince is a bit overpriced.
    Maybe not all that much as I reckon he will be a top player.
    But still a bit of a risk.
    Lower price and sell-on percentage would seem appropriate but MA does NOT like sell-on clauses, so that’s out.

• 30 lesh // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Point one: Given the lack of any statement from Collo that he wants to stay with Newcastle United, then I believe he’s abdicated the right to be considered an automatic choice. Until we get that, he should be stripped of the captaincy and made to stay away from the first team squad.

I just wonder if his supposed malcontent has contributed in some way to the players’ seeming lack of will to win?

My point two relates to Mbiwa’s comment about Newcastle United being the keenest to sign him. Great too hear that.

I wonder if MA had noted Remy’s comment about Tony Fernandez (chair of QPR and oh, where are they in Deloittes’ list of the richest I wonder?) taking a personal interest in him and offered something Llambias didn’t – the personal touch?

If that is the case, then there’s a learning point for Llambias – if he’s up to it of course!!!

• 31 lesh // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Jimmy Smith’s concerned about being stalked by Rebecca…. well he’s not the only one I can tell you.

I swear that she (are we really sure?) was sporting long, brunette hair a couple of weeks ago. If it is the same one, be careful fellas, she’s obviously wearing disguises and will stop at nothing.

Halleluja paranoia!!.

• 32 lesh // Jan 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM

toonincheek – Ince wants to go to cesspool!

• 33 toonincheek // Jan 24, 2013 at 11:59 AM

lesh – then let him.
    Very good player with loads of potential
    but if he doesn’t want to join us –
    then we don’t want him – at any price.

previous post: Newcastle Now The 20th Richest Football Club