Yanga-Mbiwa Will Bring Some Leadership To Newcastle

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa has been settling in at Newcastle, and there’s a good nufcTV video of his first 24 hours at the club – if you subscribe to nufcTV – and certainly Newcastle have looked a classy outfit in the way they have welcomed the French International to Tyneside – and the lad has certainly been impressed.

mapou tanga-mbiwa 97

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – settling in nicely

And Mapou has given lots of interviews – although he will have to now learn some English rather quickly – but obviously Alan Pardew has talked to him at length – and he knows exactly what Newcastle have to do in the last 15 games of the season.

This is the latest Mapou interview he has given in the local press:

“What we have to do is build a very strong team, and make sure that we have a team that doesn’t give up.” “We need to be warriors on the pitch. We will be looking to win as many of the last 15 games in the league as we can.”

“If I had to describe my style I would class myself as a typical defender.” “My defensive role is to win as many challenges and defensive battles as possible, and to win every possible ball.”  “As a defender, I am the first one to collect the ball and distribute it to other members of the team, which is what I will be working hard to do.”

“I will do what I do best, which is to defend, and to defend well.” “I will be trying to win as many challenges as I can in defense.”  “I’ll be trying to get some goals as well.” “I will be looking to give opposition forwards the most difficult time they can possibly imagine.”

“I have spoken with Marveaux and Cabaye about coming here.” “The club has been very welcoming to me – not just the club, but the players themselves. They have made everything available to help me settle in the best as possible.”  “The French players that have arrived before were made to feel very comfortable.”

“They transmitted that to me, and it made me feel very comfortable about it all as soon as I started here.”

One thing we like a lot about Mapou is that he seems a born leader – and if it’s one thing we don’t have in abundance in the squad at the moment – it’s leadership both on and off the pitch.

We saw some of that from Yohan Cabaye on Saturday,  in the way he controlled the game while he was son the pitch – but it was scary the way we were not half as good a team after he was substituted – which is one reason we need Moussa Sissoko signed in January.

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa is simply a stellar signing for Newcastle – there seems little doubt about that, and it seems there are still more signings to come.

And none of the local papers have picked up on the Independent story that Colo has walked out on the club – and he reported to training this morning as usual.

We hope the Independent story is simply made-up rubbish.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• rainrix

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I like how he’s saying “we” already. Good to see someone come with such enthusiasm. Just what we need right now 🙂

• G

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I wouldn’t make him a captain just yet, as he has yet to play in our league, and may take time to adapt. Long term though, he has to be a contender.

• yo-yo

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM

A team is much more than 11 players. Good for Yo and Marv to help their new team-mates get settled quickly.
    The French Connection is a strong bond for us !

• TorqToon

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Class professional and a nice bloke!

So far…the best signing of the Transfer window. Clubs will have to go a long way to find a better, more highly rated signing than Yanga.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:09 AM

who’s supermac

Yes you’ve got it. Sports direct is launching big time in France and is being rolled out all over the country.
    Ashley isn’t stupid!!

• TorqToon

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM

G – Completely agree. Given time it will be a straight battle between him and Cabs.

QPR hand the armband out left right and centre – we do things properly.

• toonarmydownsouth

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Great interview from gouffran
    These new lads are sounding like top top pro’s pls get sissoko in!

• TorqToon

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Yo – Some reports saying he is ours – but only in the summer. A bit premature I would say – but who knows. Toulouse might be asking ridiculous money to transfer him now – bit I doubt it. Very much a money orientated club.

But by stating he will pay at reserve level or whatever, just shows he is far too good a professional for that club, and is keeping his calm and his dignity. Well done, Moussa.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:16 AM

This villa game is the first game I have looked forward to in a long time.

• WWYCD

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Torq
    Well going by his words Id say hes signed a pre-contract and he wants his agent to get the move this Jan would seem to fit everyone’s purposes if he came in this window

• last minute window lies

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM

if colloccini stays but isnt totally focused, what will it do to him if striped of captaincy ?, i agree Cabs is the standout candidate , the uncertainly of who is our leader on the pitch is also being drawn out

• yo-yo

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Torq

Still think we need the ice hockey model of assistant skippers, especially if we are going to rotate players in a larger quality squad.
    All for Colo keeping the captaincy, but would like Yo and Mapou as assistants – and definitely NOT Shola

• Edmond

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Whats happening with Haidara? Did he fail medical? He’s been in Newcastle 2 days now?

• TorqToon

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM

For all those who haven’t really seen much of Yoan Gouffran –

Skip forward to about 1min40 for the goals comp.

The speech is all in French but will help improve your vocabulary! 🙂

• croftus5678

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM

we talked about graham coming to toon as he’s a toon fan ect ect but have you heard the way this gouffran is talking (even anouncing he’s coming to toon before he’s even had wages talks).
    talk about motivated and wanting to play for us ^^ if i was not a toon fan allready he would make me want to support them 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Isn’t that just like a vice-captain anyway?

• TorqToon

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Edmond – no panicking mate! All is well in hand!

• surreytoon

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Breaking News! Sissoko:

EXCLUSIVE – Sissoko (Toulouse) in Newcastle, it’s done!
    10 THE SPORT | 24.01.13 | 11:56

As you révélions earlier this week , Moussa Sissoko has reached an agreement with the English club Newcastle. And according to our information, the player will join the Magpies this winter.
    The two clubs have reached an agreement to € 2.5 million for the transfer of the player.
    Financial effort from the player
    Dismissed by the professional group president Olivier Sadran, Moussa Sissoko had to make some serious efforts in order to resolve the situation this winter.
    Toulouse to leave now and not next June when his contract with TFC should end, the player has in effect agreed to make efforts on his signing bonus.
    Moussa Sissoko will commit to a five and a half years

• colwell

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Look like we have got Sissoko, both Le10sport and RMC saying he’s coming now for 2.5m.

• surreytoon

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but Le 10 have their ear close to the ground on our transfers thus far, and this is pretty clear despite being a Google Translate job. Also it was posted in the last half hour as an “Exclusive” so they are not reporting the pre-contract

• Edmond

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Torq – haha cant help it we seem to always take ages, he will be announced tonight I bet around 8

• surreytoon

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM

The question now is whether Thauvin will come. It has been suggested Bastia want to keep him and he may need to hand in a transfer request. And he could go to Arsenal but I have not seen any reports of a formal bid from them.

• colwell

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM

surreytoon

Le10sport have broke all our deals so far and with RMC reporting it aswell its looking very good.

• toonarmydownsouth

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Theres some right numptey football agent on SSN now for some weird reason but reminds me of a bad 80’s car salesman honestly you couldnt make a better stereotype of an agent!!

Surreytoon
    If its come for le 10sport or whatever there called then dont buy it just yet there kinda like the daily sport mate!

• rainrix

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Tads… Sounds interesting 🙂 Whats he saying?

• TorqToon

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Surrey – Le10 is the French equivalent of the daily fail – bit I’m making calls now to see if I can find out anything.

Edmond – that’s the life of a toon fan mate – we never make things easy for us fans.

• last minute window lies

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM

also looks like a 10 mill bid put in for RVW !!!

• colwell

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM

RMC sport seem to be reliable and have reported the same.

• last minute window lies

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM

TT any truth in this ?

• TorqToon

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Colwell – RMC are a more reputable source – it may have legs.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM

last minute…Do you notice the irony of your name and making a post about a supposed bid for a player? 🙂 I guess it’s not quite last minute yet.

Update from your ITK located in Spain….No news. Stay tuned for more non news as the day continues…

• Gleese

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Haha…TADS, he’s a sandwich short of a picnic! He looks like Barry Scott with a perm!

• TorqToon

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Ibiza – some ITK you are…!!!! There’s NO information in that post…! Lets just say I’m not buying a frame just yet!! 🙂

Last minute – I heard the story yesterday and it was for around £10.7mil but not heard anymore. Portuguese press are apparently rolling out the story again today – but not quotes or sources that I can find.

• Transfer Sage

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Good authority Haidara has just put pen to paper on the deal….announcement expected around 4.

• Ibizatoon - Back by popular demand

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Torq….My news is honest and upfront. Any info I give you can take on face value and people respect that 🙂

On another note…has PPB shown his face on here today? No? Good, let’s hope it stays that way…

• last minute window lies

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM

yeah ibizatoon i do notice it, was kinda based on the way our normal transfer window goes , looks like am having to change it, 🙂 just thinking that ashley wouldnt be that generous, but will stay tuned

• Transfer Sage

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Ibiza

As our resident spanish ITK i think you will be kept quite for a while.

After the whole xisco and luque affair we seem to have steered well away from spain.

don’t mention enrique…he doesn’t count haha

• Beattie25

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Still have 2 worries about this window.

Colo and the curios case of the LW.

I have faith in Colo’s professionalism and think he will stay until the end. I think he should remain captain personally but we’ve all been in a situation where you can put everything into something but if your head is not there then your’e in trouble.

What do you guys think we should do?

Also the LW still seems a big issue for me. Gouffran is a striker that used to be a winger. He could do a job there but I think we should still be going for a LW/SS in the mould of Mertens/Seulamenjani/Lens.

Do you agree?