The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Yoan Gouffran – I’m Fast And I Score Goals

10:06 am, Friday, January 25th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 47 Comments

There’s a good interview with one of new boys – Yoan Gouffran – today in the local papers,  and certainly the 26 year-old does not lack confidence, and he already knows a lot of the French players at the club – who he calls fantastic players – and of course like the rest of our signings this month,  it will be important that he settles down quickly at Newcastle.

yoan gouffran boots

Yoan Gouffran – seems to have brought his boots with him

In the last two seasons at Bordeaux Gouffran has scored 26 goals in 64 appearances for the French club, and that’s not  a bad average, although the Premier League is a lot tougher than the French League.

Gouffran was asked first if he could score as many goals as Demba Ba did when he was at the club:

“Can I score as many as Demba Ba? Yes.” “I’m a center-forward. I have proven that I can score goals in France.” “It will be different in the Premier League and it is up to me to make sure I go on the pitch and score, and do everything I can to succeed in the Premier League and in different country.”

“Being compared to Ba does not put more pressure on me.” “Yes, I’m an attacker, and yes I want to score goals. But we both have different styles of play. What are my big assets? Speed. I’m fast and I score goals.”  “First of all, I want to settle in well, and secondly to show I am a good enough player to handle the Premier league – to score as many goals as I can.”

“My main position is center-forward, but I can play to the side or behind a striker if I have to, I can adapt my style of play if that is what is needed.”  “Papiss and I played against each other when he was at Metz. He has made a lot of progress at Newcastle. He has scored some great goals.”

“I had a chat with him this morning and we got on well. He is a great guy and I have no worries that we can get on really well and be able to play together.”  “I am a good friend of Yohan Cabaye. I have spoken with him, but not solely about Newcastle. I also know Hatem Ben Arfa.

“We played together for the French Under-21s. He can change a game at any time and hopefully I can play alongside him very soon. The reason I decided to sign for Newcastle is because it is a massive club.”  “As soon as I was contacted by Newcastle there was no hesitation in signing here. I spoke with the manager when I had my medical and he told me how he wants to use me.”

“It was the club, Newcastle itself, not necessarily the French players, that made me want to sign. It is true there are a fair number of French players at Newcastle – who knows if others will join? I’m sure they will be delighted to welcome anyone.”  “I am not worried at all. I know the players that play here already. They are fantastic players.”

“Newcastle should not be in the position they are in the league, so we are going to try our utmost to get us up to where we should belong in the league.”  “I think with the players that Newcastle have we can realistically be aiming for the top eight.”  “When I played at St James’ Park with Bordeaux, the stadium was not full but the atmosphere was fantastic.”

“I can only imagine with the stadium full, what it is like to play in front of. I’m sure it will help us to climb up the league.”  “It’s definitely a different culture, a different way of living, but that is something I wanted. Now I just need to learn the English language and to be able to answer all of your questions in English.”

Gouffran will be an extremely useful player for Newcastle, and we’ll be able to play in different formations – but maybe the formation Alan Pardew will concentrate on most is a 4-3-3 formation - which we used last season with excellent results.

We’re not sure Gouffran is the direct  replacement for Demba Ba,  and we know Newcastle have expressed an interest in Ricky van Wolfswinkel of Sporting Lisbon – but whether we get him this month or go after him in the summer is a good question.

But the way things have gone this week it wouldn’t surprise us if Newcastle can bring Ricky in by next Thursday.

But Gouffran’s speed and movement will give something to the Newcastle attack that we don’t have at the moment – and he’s a great buy at only around £1.2M.

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Contracts · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Yoan Gouffran

47 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Aww I know lads, we are all mighty tired of the french jokes and we will get even sicker yet (cue the mackems idea of humour…) but you gotta sing with me –

Chateauneuf, Chateauneuf, Chateauneuf,
    Chateauneuf, Chateauneuf, Chateauneu…euf,
    Chateauneuf, Chateauneuf, Chateauneuf,
    Chateauneuf,
    CHA-TEAU-NEUF!

(Repeat ad nauseam).

It could catch on it really could it just takes effort.

• 2 Tsunki // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM

He only needs to know how to answer this question –

‘So, Yoan – how does it feel to knock hatter in against Man utd?’

• 3 Transfer Sage // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Very good interview.

I have to say these lads coming in have said all the right things so far.

• 4 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Great stuff. Also is sissoko in Newcastle today? Is this confirmed

• 5 BelfastMagpie // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Keep it zipped Skunki

• 6 ajcrawfs // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I reckon this will be the end of the spending unless we get the guy from bastia

• 7 yo-yo // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

TS

Hooper is better than Jelavic all round game – but roughly same price as Charlie Austin who is playing at roughly same level in fizzy but no European experience. Celtic had a really tough group this year too !!

£8m is a €8m player and maybe RVW is worth the extra £2m

• 8 croftus5678 // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM

i go for debut goal and 3-0 to the toon against villa.

• 9 BelfastMagpie // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM

We need another striker & a winger on loan in my opinion. Loan the skinny Ameobi & Ferguson out.

• 10 nufc1984 // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I know everyone will probably laugh at this but I reckon gouffran has the right attitude and technique to succeed at Newcastle. He has scored more this season in a pretty standard Bordeaux side so if we can keep cabaye fit I reckon him and cisse will score plenty. Great compliment of speed and finishing. Gouffran to be best Frenchman bought this summer is my guess.

• 11 croftus5678 // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:21 AM

@10

i’ll go with that
    he’s certainly motivated enough to do well

• 12 outsidethebox // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM

OPEN MESSAGE TO PARDIEU
    1) GET OLIVIER BERNARD ON BOARD or ano..lad can act to convey messages ..knows the fans and toon and games..
    2)GET A YOUNG STRIKER ..CHARLIE AUSTIN JASON RHODES to spell cisse
    3)GET ENROLLED IN FRENCH CLASS
    need to gel quick the above would help

• 13 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM

du-Pape, du-Pape, du-Pape
    du-Pape, du-Pape, du-…Pape
    du-Pape, du-Pape, du-Pape,
    du-Pape
    DU-PAPE :-D

• 14 John Tudor // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:27 AM

arry thinks he looks like paul newman does he realise hes dead

• 15 outsidethebox // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:29 AM

forgot to add to 12..
    move ranger to get young striker…use abeid amallfitano and tav as loan incentives

• 16 LooneyToon41 // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM

ManU confirm signing of Zaha from Palace for £15m (£10m upfront and £5m add ons).
    I’m sure someone could add it up, but i guess that’s about what we’ve spent in total this January if Sissoko signs, and we include the £4.5m we ‘really’ received for Demba Ba.
    I think NUFC have spent better!

• 17 toon1707 // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:31 AM

All the new players seem happy and excited to be here and I now truly believe we can climb the league and get a mid table finish ready to push on and challenge the top 6 next season but what is really bothering me is the amount of people now wanting rid or slating Tiote the guy is like a brick wall to get past and with him and sissoko in defensive midfield with cabaye pushed on will be a fantastic combination last season everyone loved him now after an under par season so far (like 10 others) its time to cash in some fans just make me laugh

• 18 FrankfurtMag // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Sounds like a really confident guy. Hope he does well. Can’t wait to see the new signings in action now.

• 19 brighter // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I prefer Siem De Jong to Ricky van Wolfswinkel :D
    Of course I know it is difficult to get him from Ajax where he is a captain.

• 20 big bob // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM

there has to be a sting in tha tale 5 players signed and only 1 has left still think its going to well something will happen and been told that there will be a couple of big deals before transfer window which is what alot of clubs are waiting for and maybe cabaye to arsenal one of them

• 21 yo-yo // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM

jesper

Still got your Gironde hat on

We’re Chateauneuf de Tyne

• 22 croftus5678 // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM

@17

not slating the lad the reasons for me saying to cash in on the lad is due to the fact ref’s punish him for everything which leads to freekicks bookings and a man down in some cases which results in us losing some games.

gets to the point where no one is worried about losing him to afcon like we did last season as its a fine line between him imporving the team when he’s in it or not.

i guess ref’s just dont like him.

• 23 LooneyToon41 // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM

@20 big bob. It’s always a worry. With Cabaye’s best mate Debuchy just signing, i’d be surprised if Cabaye was sold, and ESPECIALLY this window, with the threat of relegation over us…
    As for the summer…. well that’s a different matter!

• 24 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Yo-yo…shoot :-)

…I just caught in the moment there lol

I always thought we were château nouveau ;)

• 25 TorqToon // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Big bob – Don’t be so cynical. Cabaye isn’t going anywhere – he was the instigator into bringing these lads in. He isnt about to walk away.

We can demand ANYTHING we want for our big names – and should Carroll-esq money be offered – they will be sold and we will move on.

But I don’t see it happening myself.

• 26 Mund30 // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM

@toon1707 Exactly mate i said the same thing on the last thread. Cant believe people are crying out for him to get sold and wouldnt care less. Its amazing people saying this when he has been so solid for us the last 2 year. So what he had a bit of bad form so have alot of others but he is world class on his day and we aint the type of club who could just get rid of that kind of player its stupidity. Watch him come back and with our new look midfield be better than ever.

• 27 Beardosfacedouble // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM

why Chateauneuf? that means “ninth castle”.

it’s Chateau Nouveau, New Castle.

Now then, make that into a song………….

• 28 big bob // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM

torq toon – just what i have been told mate by someone involved with arsenal hope its not true though but every player has his price especially at newcastle (probably will be summer now though)

• 29 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM

In Danish we are Nyborg ;)

*in case anybody wanted to know lol

• 30 Hatem's better than Messi // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Lots of good news.

Pardew needs to play this right.
    If here is any sign of Willo or Jonas in the team at Villa and we don’t get a win, he’ll be under-fire again.

This really could be the start of something big.
    If Cabaye can get these boys fired up and playing as a unit all trying to ge in the France team … who knows what could happen.

My only worries are; Ashley cashing in on Cabaye, and is Pardew good enough to take us forward.

Great window.
    HWTL

HWTL

• 31 Mund30 // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:48 AM

@22 Are you crazy do you see Spurs thinking ahh refs hate Bale lets get rid of him no point in keeping him. Tiote has been his own worst enemy he has had a kinda identity crisis this year and took the criticism really to heart and tried to change his game but it has backfired and you can tell by watching him he pulls out of a tackle doesnt know whether he should tackle or hold pass or move. When you have a guy going through this then there form is going to drop badly but trust me he has more than earned those black and white stripes and the fact he turned down Chelsea and loves this club and the fact he is world class on his day says it all. We should never want to get rid of players like Tiote.

• 32 toon1707 // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:48 AM

There is more chance Ashley going than Cabaye why would he tell everyone to come and join him at the toon and then leave

• 33 TorqToon // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Big bob – I agree that every player has his price – the problem for arsenal, or any other club, is Cabaye is the lynch pin of this team and it would take £30-40mil to by him. And when you think Eden Hazard was bought for £32 mil – people won’t pay that.

In the summer – as long as we are still top flight, I don’t think he will go either, we just need to get away from the drop zone.

• 34 casmag // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Tiote has looked poor this season but look at the defence he has had to perform in front of so far this season.One mistake from Tiote and our defence has not done it’s job mopping up hence conceding goals. New defenders more solid at the back = less pressure on tiote. Plus he always plays better when Cabaye is playing.

• 35 Transfer Sage // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM

big bob

I wouldn’t worry….only player we have sold recently that was key and we could stop was carroll. Nobody would complain about that money coming in.

The others, nolan, enrique, barton….all contract/behavement issues.

then best, lover, smith…just moved on as poor quality.

finally Ba, we had no say as he had a release clause and wanted double his pay+ to stay.

I think cabaye is key to this team and it would take more then arsenal can afford to let him go.

• 36 beefman13 // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Have the whole song:Sittin’ in a sleazy snack-bar Suckin’, sickly sausage rolls Slippin’ down slowly, slippin’ down sideways Think I’ll sign off the dole ‘Cause the fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine The fog on the Tyne is all mine The fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine The fog on the Tyne is all mine Could a copper catch a crooked coffin maker Could a copper comprehend That a crooked coffin maker is just an undertaker Who undertakes to be a friend? And the fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine The fog on the Tyne is all mine The fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine The fog on the Tyne is all mine Tell it to tomorrow, today will take it’s time To tell you what tonight will bring Presently we’ll have a pint or two together Everybody do their thing We can swing together, we can have a wee wee We can have a wet on the wall If someone slips a whisper that its simple sister Slapped them down and slavered on their smalls ‘Cause the fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine The fog on the Tyne is all mine The fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine The fog on the Tyne is all mine Fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine The fog on the Tyne is all mine The fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine The fog on the Tyne is all mine The fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine The fog on the Tyne is all mine The fog on the Tyne is all mine, all mine The fog on the Tyne is all mine!!! “oh the frogs on the tyne are all ours”

• 37 yo-yo // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM

jesper

you’re right its Nouveau Chateau sur Tyne

The OV vineyard is Grand Vin de Chateau Nouveau

• 38 Wayayman // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:52 AM

@ Jesper Nyborg, really? I’m a big fan of Birgitte but never put two and two together…

• 39 Black and White with an army lol // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:54 AM

i think we should push for champions league next season and Cashley eyes will open with the new sponsors and match income we will get

• 40 Crafty-NuFc-2013 // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:54 AM

quite inpreesed with this lad seems a down to earth guy….. says all th wright things… all we need now is sissoco signed up asap lol HWTL

• 41 Sav // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Looks like a younger Peter Lovenkrands and we could have done with that this season.

• 42 shear-class // Jan 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Cabaye will be our new Captain he aint going anywere Give Ashley some credit for a change some people are so cynical

• 43 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 25, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Wayayman…who’s Birgitte Nyborg?

…I only one I can think of is the leading female from the Danish drama serie “Borgen” :-)

• 44 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jan 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM

yo-yo…wouldn’t we be Chateaunouveau sur Tyne?

• 45 Toon73 // Jan 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM

pretty rough asking him straight up if he can score more goals than Demba…give the man a chance to breath ! What did you expect him to say, no?

• 46 croftus5678 // Jan 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM

@31

you can not compare the bale situation ! for one bale is a hell of a lot better than tiote and tiote’s “mistakes” are around our penalty area or are silly mistakes that there was no need for (not that he deserves punishment for a fair few of them) and i do agree he’s had it hard with the back 4 but he has been part of that aswell so no excuse really as he’s played imo just as poor.

and i dont question what he has on his day there is no better defensive mid but by putting a sissoko or an anita in his place you are getting a player with most of tiote’s benefits (breaking up play ect ect) but are taking away hell of a lot more of the risk in the silly fouls or sendings off ect and what little those two lose on tiote they more than make up on vision/passing ect.

• 47 marcotoon // Jan 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM

In some ways I feel a little sympathy with Gouffran as he is under massive pressure straight away, because if he does not hit the ground running instantly we’ll be in the championship next season.
    KTF