Have Newcastle Just Signed The Next Patrick Vieira?

The latest addition to the Newcastle squad is the 6’2″ box to box midfielder from Toulouse – 23 year-old Moussa Sissoko – who has often been compared to the former Arsenal great Patrick Vieira – because he stands 6’2″ tall and has a powerful way of playing the game  with lots of skill – just like Vieira.

moussa sissoko newcastle

Moussa Sissoko – will wear the number 7 shirt

But Mouusa himself has tried to play down that comparison, which he’s had for at least  a couple of years now, and he had this to say on the Newcastle United web-site after signing on at the Tyneside club yesterday:

“It is fantastic to be compared to someone like Vieira,” “He was a fantastic player, but if I want to be as good then I’ll have to put in some incredible performances in every single match, every week.”

“I’ve often said that for me the Premier League is best in the world and it’s also a league which corresponds to my style of play. This is where I really want to take the most pleasure from playing. It won’t be easy, but it’s up to me to work hard so I get everything on my side so I can do my best.”

“It was really important to move on, to take on a new challenge.” “I’ve been with Toulouse for ten years now so even though I gave 100% in training and during matches, it was quite a comfortable place for me. I was in my comfort zone and I wanted to take on a new challenge and rise to that challenge.”

“Newcastle is the ideal club for me to be able to go on and do great things.”  “At Toulouse I had the luck to play in almost every game, but for me it was time to move on to a new challenge, and that new challenge was here in England.”

We hope we’ve signed the next Patrick Vieira,  and we also hope the five French players brought into the club so far in January is a positive sign that owner Mike Ashley and company will further strengthen the squad in the summer, and show great ambition for Newcastle United.

We’d love to see Newcastle challenging for a top six place again next season, or even for the top four and a Champions League position.

That sounds a lot better than battling down in the Championship again – for the second time in four years.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• TheIndianToon

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Pa ra ppa ppaaaaa.. I’m Lovin’ it!!

• Mr Random

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Off topic. But will Curtis Good’s contract be extended so he play in COC Final for Bradford? Just read his loan ends on 2nd Feb.

• yorkymag

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Without a doubt

• yo-yo

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Mr R

Sure hope so – what better way can a player develop ?

I reckon we’ll draw against Villa as they’ll be even more desperate to halt their slide and then take 3 off Chelski at home.

• Munster Mag

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Brilliant work by Ashley, and possibly llambias, so fair dues all round. I can see some big performances coming up 🙂

• fray bentos

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM

With all these signings we must have become a much better proposition to quality managers now, hopefully we might get on in the summer unless Pardew changes are football significantly

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Good to see a couple of really powerful players come in.
    We were far too light-weight.

Great bit of business. Congrats to all involved in this guy’s transfer. He is immense.

• proudtobageordie

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Remy d

Why don’t you just f off you immature tool. The only time you comment on this blog is about me. I’m sure you must be a gay boy and have a school girl crush on me? No one takes any notice of you so slating me is the only reaction you will get!!!!!! Price prick comes to mind

• alf

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM

This kids the Real-Deal, Wenger wanted him that’s why he was Fuming yesterday, as he knows he will become a Premiership Power house. Hats off to Ashley for Genious and nous in the Transfer Market. A decent Striker and its Blast Off!

• proudtobageordie

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Remy d

Grow up you tool. Hiding behind a keypad abusing people. That’s what spineless cowards do. Oh that must ring a few bells for you

• aidantoon

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM

he is all power!!!!! be better than vieira.

• BigKirky

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I’m sure that M’Biwa and Sissoko will do well for as they seem to have a great determination to improve and battle and that is what we need.

I’m sure that those guys will get on and do well. Like I said when Demba Ba signed, and a lot of people didn’t initially see Demba as the main man at all, Gouffran (like I said about Ba) could be key to whether we really take off.

If you see some of his goals, don’t just look at the variation of goal, look at how early he takes the shot, look at the fact that a lot of his goals he seems comfortable to shoot on his left when other players will try and switch back to their right. He also seems to have a decent leap and scores from headers and of course the valuable attribute of pace!

I really hope this lad does well, as I’m sure Sissoko and M’Biwa and Debuchy will be just fine. Like Gouffran, same goes with Haidara, they could turn out to be just as valuable as the main men. I really hope that is the case.

• fray bentos

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Dont get your expectations up guys.

He’s probably a good player and possibly could become as good as Viera, but if he was even near Viera’s ability at the moment he would have been bought by one of the worlds super clubs

Sorry to piss on ya chips

• Solaidback

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM

The big problem I see now is, who the frak do we sign in the summer.. lol 😉

After all, what positions will we need to strengthen now, especially if we get another striker in now, we’ll not need to buy anyone come the summer unless we sell some of our current squad ie Colo, Jonas, Tiote, Obertan, Strolla, etc 😉

• BigKirky

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM

If Ashley is seen out now by Toon fans, at least he’ll get appreciation for the new players as opposed to people moaning at him for not spending. He may enjoy that more I suspect.

Just hope he continues to learn from his mistakes and thus limit similar mistakes in future.

As someone said yesterday, 9/1 for a top half finish is a good bet I reckon.

• Mancgeordie

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM

brilliant signings can really make a difference feel it shows how good they are by wengers press conference imo no manager knows the French market and players better and he clearly was concerned about playing us later on

• yo-yo

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Fray bentos

If you were a club owner and were in our position you could sack the manager who has had such a bad run or accept he has had a terrible run of key players underperforming like Tiote, key players injured, reserve players just not interested, bad run of play etc., and say okay Alan I’m going to listen to you and get you the side you say you can work with.
    Now pal, its down to you – deliver.

And all the while know that our side has enough stellar talent to attract a quality replacement if AP doesn’t cut the mustard.

And if Alan goes he can hold the playing side together and not lose players by bringing in someone they will really want to work with.

Brilliant thinking and superb management. MA has seriously gone up in my estimation.

• Markaccus

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM

There’s been a few “next patrick vieras” over the years. None have lived up to it. Ballack was overated, for example. Essiens legs kept falling off. Geremi… Well, the less said the better. These players were all said to have the box to box style of viera, and there have been more. Would be excellent if sissoko becomes even half the player vierra was.

• Mancgeordie

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Got to credit Ashley for finally backing his manager brilliant piece of work catching the league by surprise by making significant changes to the squad giving the teams around us no real time to react to it, as for pardew he has the players he wanted now he has to prove he is good enough to use it. He earned a chance imo cos of last season’s achievements

• ~Anita One Bites the Dust~

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM

He has also been called the “French Yaya Toure”

• Spuggy

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Jesus H

We sign 5 players, 3-4 of them potentially top EPL class and people still find room to moan about pardew. Can’t we just leave it there. Pards has 15 games to show what he can do with a quality team who he has to integrate very quickly. Leave him to it and judge him at the end of the season (unless we loose 5 on the spin of course).

We can all argue the merits or otherwise of his tactics, teams and motivational qualities. But do you think that players like Cabaye, Marveaux etc. would be convincing players to come here if they had no confidence or belief in pards ability. No, they would be looking to the exit door themselves.

Now, for crying out loud, whether you agree or not, let the geordie army acknowledge the determination and support of the board and get behind our players, new or old, and support the manager!

• Mancgeordie

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Yeah we have the best Dutch goalie since van der sar, with the new gallas and maldini. The french xavi, toure and messi in midfield all we need is the new van persie from Lisbon and potentially have agreat side

• Scouse_geordie

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I’m ecstatic at the people we have brought in but I’m still worried about goals. Yes we brought in gouffran but I’m not sure he is gonna be the 18-20 goal striker we need.

After all the good business we have done its hard to complain but i still think we need that one extra striker, otherwise we could see alot of draws in the remaining games

I’m just worried that the purse strings might have been closed for the rest if this window.

• Mancgeordie

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Hopefully cisse will start banging them in and he can be the new etoo? 😉

• Munster Mag

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Catcy, you and i agreed on a lot re Pardew recently. Most of it was fair comment – poor free kicks, defensiveness v Reading etc. But I think he has excellent people skills ( HBA, Colo etc ) and I just want to see if he can bring a more attacking mindset now. Maybe the players will make that happen. I think we are going to improve now – possibly dramatically. Its interesting that Cabaye encouraged Sissoko to come here – in fact its a vital sign that Cabaye retains an interest in staying with us, and I’m sure if he hated Pardew, he wouldnt encourage Sissoko either. I can see us beating Chelsea, and probably Villa too, if Pardew allows the team to play like they did in the first half v Reading. . Well done to Ashley again. HTL

• Munster Mag

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Please, lets not be silly and compare Santon to Maldini. I can see Santon losing out to our new Haidara next season if he doesnt tighten up. I’ve said this from the first time I saw him – at least now i’m not getting slated for it.

• ichrisho

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM

just played `pes 2013 master league coach mode with new signings against a vila side i think the other weggie will play… and we won 3-1… Sissoko got one and Gouffran got two.. Pls Tuesday night be the same!!!

• ichrisho

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Santon is our new Jonas…

• Spuggy

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Scouse

Gouffran has close to a goal every other game for the last two seasons (akin to Ba’s and Cisse ratio). Remember when Ba came everyone was like where is our AC replacement no 9, especially as Ba was free.

Gouffran could be the man. I agree though that we need a 4th striker anyway for competition, cover, cups and Europa. But Cisse and Gouffran could strike up a very lethal partnership – we may already have our top 2 strikers.

Time will tell.

• Mancgeordie

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Munster I know what your saying I was just making a point of how many comparisons have been made to players we have

• alf

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM

NUFC have lodged a bid for Thomas Ince and Audameyang!

• infintoon

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I read on previous posts about the Haidara – Santon dillema. Whether Santon will be pushed to left midfield to accommodate Haidara. Well the opposite can be to. Haidara said he played in attack before and in left midfield as well.
    I suggest Haidara is going to replace Jonas and not Santon.
    Like Jonas he has the fighting ability and defensive mind. But he’s younger, faster, stronger (shorter) and probably can dribble on forward runs a lot better these days.
    I kind of like santon pushing from the back forward. he will get better defensively.
    What do you think?

• Spuggy

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Goufrans game v goals in the ligue last two seasons:

2011/12 – 31 appearances, 14 goals
    2012/13 – 20 appearances, 8 goals

He was subbed on 3 times and off 8 times during that spell too. Close to a goal every other game for two years. That’s marginally behind Ba’s ratio.

• infintoon

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM

ichrisho 27 – I acttualy think Haidara is our new Jonas 🙂
    but you migth be right as well

• WWYCD

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM

No we have signed the first Moussa Sissoko

• AshSays

Jan 26, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Pardew still has a tough challenge ahead of him, getting all these new players to gel in and getting the team out of a losing streak, so don’t expect things to change for the better straight away.

Also after villa we play Chelsea followed by Totenham away, those are tough games. SO forget about winning the next 15 games, getting to 40 points is the target this year.

Don’t forget that Pardew was the PL Manager of the season in 2011/12, give the guy all the support you can because if he gets sacked we are not going to Mourinho or Guardiola running to manage NUFC.

• ToonMauritius

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:00 PM

• infintoon

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:00 PM

32Spuggy – it’s an impressive record alas it’s the Ligue 1
    you must remember bordeaux isn’t such a talented squad in my opinion.
    with the new acquisitions hopefully our strikers will have more opportunities to score.

• hatem786

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:00 PM

who will we sign today??maybe MA will get us siem de jong..in today..iwould love it …just love it:)just dreaming…ithink MA should get rid of llambias also..

• ichrisho

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I love the way we have caught everyone by sursprise with all these signings… The press knew we would get someone in but not 5 players with the possibility of three more… If we get Butland, Thauvan, and RVW… we will have a near complete new team…

1 2 3 5